PDA

View Full Version : Massive World War II collection debuts online

Ret10Echo
12-11-2008, 06:44
The WebSite indicates that it will be "All Free for a Limited Time".

http://go.footnote.com/wwii/

Massive World War II collection debuts online
December 10, 2008 - 12:41pm

By DAN SCHERAGA
AP Business Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - An online collection of World War II documents, billed as the world's largest, debuted last week. Footnote.com, which archives historical documents on the Web, developed the collection with the National Archives and Records Administration.

The collection starts with 9 million "hero pages" profiling individual U.S. veterans of World War II with data taken from Army enlistment records. Veterans and their families and friends can add further information and photos.

The project also includes an online reproduction of the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor, which is inscribed with the names of more than 1,100 crewmen who died when the battleship was sunk on Dec. 7, 1941. Visitors to the Web site can search for the names of the victims.

Other highlights of the collection include the personnel rolls of Pearl Harbor, reports of missing air crews, submarine patrol reports and naval press clippings. Also included are extensive analyses of the Allied bombing strategy against Japan, including target photographs.

Footnote.com Chief Executive and President Russ Wilding says the collection will mark the debut of 50,000 photos exclusive to the site.

"Our hope is to engage people to share their stories about relatives and friends who served in World War II," he says. "Many of the veterans have passed away, and the number of living World War II veterans continues to shrink. We're trying to facilitate the capturing of stories before they're lost forever."

steel71
12-11-2008, 14:50
Thanks, I can read this stuff for hours. Here's a website with more declassified documents.

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/

echoes
12-11-2008, 15:39
The collection starts with 9 million "hero pages" profiling individual U.S. veterans of World War II with data taken from Army enlistment records. Veterans and their families and friends can add further information and photos.

Thank You Sir, for this link and information!:lifter

They do not have my uncle, but two other family members of mine that I never knew of, in the "hero pages."
(Will investigate further.)

Holly:o

Surf n Turf
12-11-2008, 20:54
Good site
Found my Dad, 2 Uncles, and 1 Nephew in American Service.
Balance were in the various Highland Regiments, fighting for Scotland’s independence. :D

Easy to find if
Birth Place: Channel Islands Or England Or Great Britain Or Isle Of Man Or Northern Ireland Or Scotland Or Wales.

SnT