PDA

View Full Version : Best Knife You've Ever Used

Bill Harsey
12-10-2008, 21:13
What's the best knife you've ever used?

standard disclaimer: this isn't a test and I ain't fishing.

Sdiver
12-10-2008, 21:38
Steak. :D

Roguish Lawyer
12-10-2008, 21:40
I ain't fishing.

Sometimes life just sucks.

PSM
12-10-2008, 21:41
Steak. :D

DAMN, you!!! :mad:

Pat

PSM
12-10-2008, 22:00
Seriously though, it’s a broad question. My mom was an Oklahoma State Employment Department office manager when I was in High School. She didn’t hand out checks; she put people to work. If they wouldn’t work at a job she offered, they didn’t get a check. I was her utility player when no one was available.

I spent two weeks as a meat cutter. One of the guys lent me his boning knife. These guys sharpened constantly (and several were missing finger parts). This knife was whittled down to about ¼ inch and went through meat like butter. I have no idea what brand or type of steel it was, but I remember it like it was yesterday. That was in 1967.

Pat

Ambush Master
12-10-2008, 22:30

FOR WHAT?!?!?!:D

Not meaning to "belittle" the question, but Sir William, for what TASK, or combination thereof, is the question intended, kind'a set the stage!!

A knife that is good at Caping, would most likely not be one intended, for taking out an adversary!!

A good Fish Filet blade (from your FISHING comment!!) WOULD NOT do what the Yarborough will!!

Now that I have more than adequately MUDDIED the H2O, Bill.................????

It's all yours!!!:D:munchin

Later
Martin

Blitzzz (RIP)
12-10-2008, 23:00
The first one, I carried from 1976 to 1992. I carried it onmy belt with a modified loop of braided 550 cord. This set up allowed the sheath to lay sideways across my back on my belt with the handle facing the right side. It was a 3.5 in blade spear/drop point "Weastern" ( I believe the model # was 14, the new ones are Mod # 84. Never gets in the way and is also a great thrower.

The second is one I assembled from a 6in Solingen Korium blade Epoxied into a drilled out "practice' Tanto handle, (a black plastic material by Cold Steel). The knife is not the prettiest, but it is an exceptional handler. very sleek.

An old team SOP was to throw your biggest knife last. We all carried about 5.

Blitz

Soft Target
12-11-2008, 07:28
Although I think "Steak" is the best answer, I have had a Buck folder, Hunter 110 for over 30 years.

The Reaper
12-11-2008, 08:47
FOR WHAT?!?!?!:D

Not meaning to "belittle" the question, but Sir William, for what TASK, or combination thereof, is the question intended, kind'a set the stage!!

A knife that is good at Caping, would most likely not be one intended, for taking out an adversary!!

A good Fish Filet blade (from your FISHING comment!!) WOULD NOT do what the Yarborough will!!

Now that I have more than adequately MUDDIED the H2O, Bill.................????

It's all yours!!!:D:munchin

Later
Martin

I am with Martin on this one.

Best knife for what?

The answer to this would seem to be the same as the one about what is the best pistol? The one you have on you.

At times, my best knife has been a Kabar, a Swiss Army Knife, a Leatherman, an Al Mar, a Chris Reeve, or a Harsey. All are knives, but they are vastly different in terms of specialization and capabilities.

You tell me what application, and I will tell you what is the best I have used.

TR

Peregrino
12-11-2008, 09:46
It's a lot easier to pick the worst one. :p I'll nominate the Gerber Mk Is & IIs I bought when I first graduated the Q Course. (I never needed them for their design purpose and they sucked at everything else!)

As several others have noted: the best ones were "the one I had on me when I needed it". (Usually something along the lines of a Demo Knife and a K-Bar when I was in the field.) I've since acquired better examples of the respective types but they still set the baseline. BTW - That's TWO best knives; it took both to cover the range of required uses. HTH

HOLLiS
12-11-2008, 10:18
Steak knife, IMHO, is a great answer. On reading the question, I thought, what knife do I naturally gravitate too? That led too, what is the task at hand?

I carried a buck folder alot (still have it and it is over 35 years old).

Hunting I have a Kreshaw multi blade out fit. (Alaskan Blade Trader).

Probably the most used knives now are kitchen knives.

In RVN I carried a German made sheaf knife.

Boating, a rigging knife w/fid.

Until I joined this forum, I thought my choice of knives was based on some kind of reasonable opinion. After joining this forum, I found out how much I didn't know about knives.

A small notation, regardless of what I carry, being retired means choice is not as critical as far as for someone in the military or LE.

Soft Target
12-11-2008, 10:44
It's a lot easier to pick the worst one. :p I'll nominate the Gerber Mk Is & IIs I bought when I first graduated the Q Course. (I never needed them for their design purpose and they sucked at everything else!) HTH

I bought a Gerber MK I when I graduated too; didn't know any better. Never used it, never drawn from original sheath. Only time I saw one used was when a jumper had it stuck in his boot and went through his foot upon landing.

Bill Harsey
12-11-2008, 11:05
AM, TR,
Thank you. Best for what is a good question.
I started that way on purpose because this forum covers a wide range of activities and wanted to see which way this might go.
There are hand tools here in the shop that are ugly but I learned to like them because they work right. They become "best".

TR,
For application: First category of knife would be "field use" military in deference to the primary group on this forum. Included in field use would be daily carry.
also of note, unless something has changed we do not discuss use of a knife by military personnel for lethal purposes here.

A knife used to open, clean and skin a game animal is the first step of food preparation. The chefs knives are the last step in food preparation just before that steak knife is used. Making food in the field happens with whatever knife is on you and that becomes the chefs knife.
It's human nature to value our knives and it started a very long time ago.
That is why I asked the question.

Great responses so far, thank you.

The Reaper
12-11-2008, 11:18
AM, TR,
Thank you. Best for what is a good question.
I started that way on purpose because this forum covers a wide range of activities and wanted to see which way this might go.
There are hand tools here in the shop that are ugly but I learned to like them because they work right. They become "best".

TR,
For application: First category of knife would be "field use" military in deference to the primary group on this forum. Included in field use would be daily carry.
also of note, unless something has changed we do not discuss use of a knife by military personnel for lethal purposes here.

A knife used to open, clean and skin a game animal is the first step of food preparation. The chefs knives are the last step in food preparation just before that steak knife is used. Making food in the field happens with whatever knife is on you and that becomes the chefs knife.
It's human nature to value our knives and it started a very long time ago.
That is why I asked the question.

Great responses so far, thank you.

I never doubted that you had a reason for asking.:D

To turn your question around, what is the best tool you have ever used? You probably have several favorite hammers, each adapted for a specific purpose. Could you really say that one of them is the best though? Will any of them replace a saw or a screwdriver?

Similarly, would a single knife be optimized for skinning, gutting, quartering, slicing, and preparing larger game?

Most guys I have seen working on deer and larger-sized game used a number of edged tools, usually at least a fixed blade skinner, a hatchet or small axe, a hand saw, possibly a gutting knife, maybe a cleaver, and at least one thin butcher knife for slicing the cuts. The knife that would break the shoulder joint on an elk will probably not be very effective for skinning, gutting, and cutting steaks.

Of course, you probably have significantly more experience than I do in that field. Deer here will frequently fit into a game pouch, and cattle and big hogs are the largest thing I have worked on turning into food.

Life is a compromise.

TR

mcarey
12-11-2008, 11:27
IMO (Humble) I would pick the following:

For pocket EDC Knife tool- the Victorinox 'Climber' or 'Trecker' (I include both since I have carried and lost countless versions of both) They are up for almost any daily task, to include most fieldcraft chores.

For a EDC for Folder / Auto I could not pick one, there are too many good ones, I currently carry a large CR Sebenza w/micarta inlays. Probabably the best knife (quality and cost) I have ever owned and carried. When on active duty, I just carried and lost a bunch of Benchmades or Spydeco's (they all worked fine, but they weren't as tight and true as my Sebenza).

For a fixed blade for Pack - A good 16-22" machete in spring steel.

For a combat knife - I will pass, as I have a self interest.:D

Paslode
12-11-2008, 13:30
Gutting and skinning game, fish cleaning, chopping branches, hammering in tent spikes, cutting down cardboard boxes down to size....Unlike several of my other knives, my Old Mans K-Bar still holds an nice edge (without alot of work) after 50 years of abuse.

PiterM
12-11-2008, 17:31
DAMN HARD question Bill. But... I'll try.

For heavy field use I'd pick my 5.5" H-Class fixed blade any day! It is tanto(ish), but in fact the blade has a nice curve in it so it's not "geometric tanto" at all. This is the knife I use very often in the field for virtually anything. It cuts & chops great, especially for it's size. High grinds, fine edge, strong tip, GREAT handle (also when used in gloves). I'm really happy user of this one.

For every day carry it's even easier - SEBENZA. I carry & use it every day. It's just always somewhere around me. Pocket, bag, M65 field jacket... always handy, always sharp, strong, reliable. It's in fact the only folder that I use just like I'd use fixed blade. That lock is A W E S O M E. Both design AND execution. Yes, I use it also to open my beer :D

BUT there is a new knife that is very very close to my idea of "best" field field blade. It's Tom Krein K9 Dingo. It has 5.25" blade made of CPM 3V steel (VERY good blade material, which is stronger in every respect than S30V or even S90V, but not as stainless as S30V). Handle is 5", micarta, very comfortable. It tried it last weekend for some heavy cutting, chopping, splitting hard wood... and it was still very sharp, I was able to shave hair off my arm! Not as easily as at the beginning but it was possible. Man, 3V HOLDS the edge. However I used it for a bit too short period to recommend it as "best" knife. I need some more time, some more testing.

So? Which one is "best"? Well, if you ask me today what'd be "best field knife of choice" for me... than I'd pick my usual field stuff - short version of H-Class. Hope it makes sense.

ZooKeeper
12-11-2008, 18:57
Unfortunately, it always seems to be the last one that has been lost.

In my case that would be a Schrade Sharpfinger. I did not have it properly secured to my person when retrieving a doe a few weeks ago. Not an expensive knife, but it had a lot of sentimental value since it had field dressed every deer I can remember taking & it did a great job of it.

cold1
12-12-2008, 08:35
For Hunting/feild dressing I use 3 different knives.
1: I have a first production run Gerber gator partialy serrated. The belly is big enough to great skinning, for some reason the serrated part goes through the sternum like butter, the blade is tough enough to seperate joints, and it holds an edge. Also the handle material doesnt get cold and I can keep a grip on it no matter how messy things get.

2: Fixed bladed buck with gut hook. It was a gift now the gut hook has me spoiled. It is like having a zipper on the hide.

3: Just a regular thin bladed pocket knife usually Case brand. I use this for the back strap. I have seen to many people waste alot of meat using the big stout bladed knives.

EDC: is usually a 2 bladed pocket knife. I prefer the trapper models, sometimes a stockman.

One pocket knife that really stands out was an AG Russell one handed light weight. It could be opened and closed from the lock postion with one hand, as advertised. The profile was slim and it weighed nothing. I prefered the modified spear point. The only draw back was that the blade would not hold an edge and was a pain to sharpen.

Off topic:
My ideal pocket knife would be a medium trapper with a locking clip point and a sheep foot for the other blade. The locking blade would give a measure of safety for heavy use of that blade. The sheep foot gives you a precise agressive point for cutting/splitting heavy items such as black water pipe, plastic tubing.
Mr Harsey, could you make or modify one for me???

Bill Harsey
12-14-2008, 10:42
Not mechanical but sentimental:
The old German made hunter with the one piece stag handle that my Grandpa Harsey gave me when I was twelve years old to use hunting and I used it to work on mule deer. No idea what happened to it.

relentless
12-14-2008, 12:39
He simple asked you what the best knife you ever used was. Don't make things so complicated. Answer the question.

SF_BHT
12-14-2008, 12:51
He simple asked you what the best knife you ever used was. Don't make things so complicated. Answer the question.

Young man
1st you did not use a quote so we do not know who you are addressing. I ma sure you are not talking to Mr. Harsley

2nd You are a guest here and not a QP or a MOD so do not use that tone here.
We will police our board not you.:mad:

Looking at your past post I would recommend that you quit posting and just read for a while and learn. :munchin

plato
12-14-2008, 13:10
I carried a "sir-your-blade-is-bent" knife. That was a Gerber that looked a great deal like a dagger, but with a little more "meat" to a blade that was bent to one side. It felt a bit strange in the hand, but wherever you attached sheath to body, it caused both ends of the assembly to slightly press into the body, and almost flatly Refused to catch on vegetation.

Lost during a hasty evacuation, but I keep my eyes open for a replacement.

MeC86
12-14-2008, 13:41
I carry on duty a Benchmade auto Stryker that is a very nice blade. However, a nice fixed blade, like some of the ones mentioned here, is in my current wish list.

ODA572
12-15-2008, 07:16
For the last 29 years I've worn a Randall Model 15 Airman to the woods. Purchased in 1979 just outside Bragg, probably at some shop on Yadkin. I remember they sold a lot of Safariland gunleather too. I have found it's length more confortable to handle than a Model 14 Attack. And I know I'll wear out before this knife does.

The more places this knife goes and the more things I do with it makes it as much a talisman as it is a knife. Lately it's just used to make kindling for familty camping trips and that's just fine.

The knife in my pocket is any Case folder that caught my eye at the time. It stays a while until I fancy another one.

The Reaper
12-15-2008, 11:17

Are you talking to me?

TR

sg1987
12-15-2008, 19:58
Are you talking to me?

TR

Joe Pesci is that you?????

PSM
12-15-2008, 20:19
Joe Pesci is that you?????

That would be De Niro. ;)

Pat

Trip_Wire (RIP)
12-16-2008, 13:44
In combat I carried an old M-1 Carbine bayonet, much of the time as a fighting knife. It was issued and I kept it as a knife, even when I was carrying a BAR.

I like both my Randall #1 and #14 when I was active with the 12th SFGA. I prefer the #1 as a 'fighting' knife and the #14 as a GP and 'fighting' knife. Most of the time I carried the #14.

Now, my every day pocket folder is the Emerson Super CQC7 w/Wave action. It's faster opening than many auto knives. :D

Actually, if I could find a good inside the waistband sheath, I'd carry my 1st Group fixed blade knife at times or my QP knife that was made for this board. :)

AF Doc
12-23-2008, 10:37
I don't know about 'best', but I have a Chris Reeves Sebenza that is proving to be the most versatile knife I own. Rock solid and low profile.

Another favorite is my Bob Dozier Personal. A fixed blade with a sheath that allows for semi-horizontal carry. Very convenient, maybe a little small at times.

Lastly, I have a design by Mr. Harsey that has become a 'go to' knife for hunting, camping, etc... the T2 by Lone Wolf.

While I have no 'best', any one of these three has the quality and performance to be a great all-around knife.

(From top: Harsey T2, Dozier Personal, Reeves Sebenza)

kawika
12-23-2008, 11:19
Best knife i've ever used and still carry is an Ontario Knives, Randall's TAK. Its handle is simliar to the SF knife and is the little cousin to the RTAK which is also very simliar. It is very durable and I mainly use it for prying open doors, locks, etc. Rarely do I actually use the edge and its not kept extremely sharp but sharp enough to cut and maintain its edge for a long period of time. The only thing I ever cut with it is flexcuffs, firewood and of course the ever present MRE. It is really good for everyday utility and if need be a fighting knife.

One of the TOPS pry knifes is definately on my list of upcoming purchases.

SRGross
12-23-2008, 17:27
I carried a Randal for most of service in South and Central America, broke it, they sent me a new one ASAP, good company
But I prefer the Gerber BMF, excellent knife, they are in High Demand even to this day, on ebay they go for 150.00 plus

Richard
12-23-2008, 17:45

A sharp one that did the job. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

x SF med
12-24-2008, 14:50
Here are a large percentage of mine... as has been stated - the best knife is the one that fits the job, or the one in your pocket/on your belt... (no there is no rust on the ones that look orange - just a trick of the light, Mr Harsey would kill me if I showed up at his place with a rusty knife)

6.8SPC_DUMP
12-24-2008, 15:46
It didn't come as shock that a Quiet Professional; Mr. Trip Wire, was a step ahead of me in recommending the Emerson Super CQC-7BW as an every day carry. This is my first post, out of Introductions, and I'm already used to it. ;)

I won't carry a folder without the Emerson "Wave" because that's what I'm fastest with opening in most situations. Even if the "Wave" doesn't lock the blade upon withdraw ( which is rare ) it usually opens 1/3 of the way, while my fingers are out of the way, and a quick flick of the wrist will lock it. Emerson's titanium liner lock is thin, so I make sure to tighten and loosen the pivot -- testing it, to ensure the lock is consistently secure under the blade when opened.

I prefer the Super CQC-7BW to the Emerson Commander because it's beefy grip allows me better wrist control for slashing and it's Tanto style blade cuts deeper in quick side-to-side slashes. The Super 7's rear bolster along with G-10 epoxy / glass laminate handle provide me a secure grip even without finger groves.

If I had a CC permit I would go with the Emerson Kramabit. The US Air Marshals use these to protect their SIG P229 .357Sig's in CQC ( I'm not revealing classified information ). To get a better grip I like to screw in an extra belt clip so both sides of the folding Kramabit's handle. I found that the fixed Kramabit's handle was too thin for my hand but would probably go with it anyway for speed.

That's my limited experience with daily carry knifes -- hope it was helpful.

alright4u
12-24-2008, 16:50
I am with Martin on this one.

Best knife for what?

The answer to this would seem to be the same as the one about what is the best pistol? The one you have on you.

At times, my best knife has been a Kabar, a Swiss Army Knife, a Leatherman, an Al Mar, a Chris Reeve, or a Harsey. All are knives, but they are vastly different in terms of specialization and capabilities.

You tell me what application, and I will tell you what is the best I have used.

TR

A CMH recpient, who used to go to SOAR every year, would say bayonet.
Amazing CHM citation for the Colonel.

alright4u
12-24-2008, 16:56
The first one, I carried from 1976 to 1992. I carried it onmy belt with a modified loop of braided 550 cord. This set up allowed the sheath to lay sideways across my back on my belt with the handle facing the right side. It was a 3.5 in blade spear/drop point "Weastern" ( I believe the model # was 14, the new ones are Mod # 84. Never gets in the way and is also a great thrower.

The second is one I assembled from a 6in Solingen Korium blade Epoxied into a drilled out "practice' Tanto handle, (a black plastic material by Cold Steel). The knife is not the prettiest, but it is an exceptional handler. very sleek.

An old team SOP was to throw your biggest knife last. We all carried about 5.

Blitz

http://www.legionofvalor.com/citation_parse.php?uid=993845229

The Col might like a boyonet.

Bill Harsey
12-24-2008, 19:24
If I had a CC permit I would go with the Emerson Kramabit. The US Air Marshals use these to protect their SIG P229 .357Sig's in CQC ( I'm not revealing classified information ). To get a better grip I like to screw in an extra belt clip so both sides of the folding Kramabit's handle. I found that the fixed Kramabit's handle was too thin for my hand but would probably go with it anyway for speed.

Does a CC permit cover the carry of an edged tool at your location?

Bill Harsey
12-24-2008, 19:47
It didn't come as shock that a Quiet Professional; Mr. Trip Wire, was a step ahead of me in recommending the Emerson Super CQC-7BW as an every day carry. This is my first post, out of Introductions, and I'm already used to it. ;)

I won't carry a folder without the Emerson "Wave" because that's what I'm fastest with opening in most situations. Even if the "Wave" doesn't lock the blade upon withdraw ( which is rare ) it usually opens 1/3 of the way, while my fingers are out of the way, and a quick flick of the wrist will lock it. Emerson's titanium liner lock is thin, so I make sure to tighten and loosen the pivot -- testing it, to ensure the lock is consistently secure under the blade when opened.

I prefer the Super CQC-7BW to the Emerson Commander because it's beefy grip allows me better wrist control for slashing and it's Tanto style blade cuts deeper in quick side-to-side slashes. The Super 7's rear bolster along with G-10 epoxy / glass laminate handle provide me a secure grip even without finger groves.

Sir,
Some things about this post trouble me, even on Christmas Eve.
First, have you read all of this thread carefully?
What are you talking about your knife cutting deeper in?
Go back to the part about reading all of this thread very carefully.

6.8SPC_DUMP
12-25-2008, 05:30
Mr. Harsey,

Does a CC permit cover the carry of an edged tool at your location?

Not for folders/ assisted opening folders with blades under 4" in length. I was referring to a concealed handgun permit. The link below goes into more detail about NY knife laws.

http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/ny.txt

Sir,
Some things about this post trouble me, even on Christmas Eve.
First, have you read all of this thread carefully?
What are you talking about your knife cutting deeper in?
Go back to the part about reading all of this thread very carefully.

I am disappointed my post troubled you -- particularly on Christmas Eve. I went into more detail than you specified. If you have any other problems with my post please make me aware of them. The materials I have cut into with the Super 7 have been a sheet of newspaper taped to the ceiling and a pork roast double wrapped in an undershirt.

Merry Christmas.

( Mr. ZonieDiver: I wouldn't waste good meat either. Wasn't my best pork roast though...)

ZonieDiver
12-25-2008, 09:08
I am disappointed my post troubled you -- particularly on Christmas Eve. I went into more detail than you specified. If you have any other problems with my post please make me aware of them. The materials I have cut into with the Super 7 have been a sheet of newspaper taped to the ceiling and a pork roast double wrapped in an undershirt.

WTF! I hope the undershirt was cleaned. In AZ, wasting a good chunk of meat thusly is a Class 3 Misdemeanor (or should be). Be careful with sharp instruments, you can hurt yourself. (Oh, Merry Christmas to all!)

Bill Harsey
12-25-2008, 09:34
6.8spc_dump,
Thanks for the explanations and good luck with the concealled carry laws in your state. Those have to be some of the more complicated in the country.
Most important, Merry Christmas!

ps. to all, make sure you have a good opening lock up before you stick a folder into anything when training or else later you might slip on all the bandaid wrappers and bump your head.

x SF med
12-25-2008, 10:28
ps. to all, make sure you have a good opening lock up before you stick a folder into anything when training or else later you might slip on all the bandaid wrappers and bump your head.

And wear gloves when opening the plastic packaging, its sharper and more dangerous than the knives. Right Bill?:p;)

Rob_0811
12-26-2008, 12:09
1st Gen Leatherman Wave

Randall 5" Model 1

Harsey/Reeve Green Beret 5.5"

which one depends on the situation, but those are my faves.

lksteve
12-26-2008, 13:04
The kitchen knife I used to open the envelope containing my copy of the final divorce decree will always hold a special place in my heart...right next to steak knives of all species and the hunting knife ODA-8 gave me when I went to Battalion to be the S2. Used that one to cape the Dall Sheep I killed in Alaska.

Razor
12-29-2008, 11:38
Best knife i've ever used and still carry is an Ontario Knives, Randall's TAK. Its handle is simliar to the SF knife and is the little cousin to the RTAK which is also very simliar. It is very durable and I mainly use it for prying open doors, locks, etc. Rarely do I actually use the edge and its not kept extremely sharp but sharp enough to cut and maintain its edge for a long period of time. The only thing I ever cut with it is flexcuffs, firewood and of course the ever present MRE. It is really good for everyday utility and if need be a fighting knife.

One of the TOPS pry knifes is definately on my list of upcoming purchases.

If you're in the market for a basic sharpened pry bar, you can save a good deal of money by considering this (http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/gear-shops/tools-shop/tools/knives-saws-multi-tools/28163.aspx?feature=P6351-C52518-L2).

6.8SPC, you may want to research the effectiveness of slashes vs. stabs in regards to lethality when choosing your edged weapon training paradigm.

ODA 226
12-29-2008, 12:14
The best all-around FIELD knife I've ever had is the Alcas "Solution". It is a combination knife, saw, gut-hook and AXE that additionally has a waterproof compartment. It can also be used as a wicked set of brass knuckles and hammer.

It is very light and I've carried mine in the field for over 20 years.

Pics here: http://cutlerscove.com/survival-knives/alcas-solution.htm

I don't know if they make them anymore...

orko
01-04-2009, 22:29
Picking a best for me is too much like picking a favorite (if I could do that I maybe wouldn't have so many knives) I am pretty partial to the AXIS lock though. It can be both opened and closed with a single hand faster than an auto.

I think the type of knife I choose has to do with the job. when I was working a job where I needed a knife every 3-4 minutes I naturally choose a fixed blade with a sheath that was easily accessible and that wouldn't let the knife flip out when not snapped in. Also with a overall length that wouldn't make people ask why your caring a huge pig sticker.

here is what I have carried over the past couple years, I have had several others (buy,sell, and trade)

from left to right:
BM 530- sweet little guy and lightest knife weighing in at less than 2oz. great when wearing with thin clothes, or shorts(PT). this is the second one of these I have had the first was damaged

CR Sebenza- had to see what all the hype was about! great knife only gripe I have ever had with it is some mornings out in the field it has been locked closed, and a chore to open, probably due to tight tolerances and condensation

BM 9050- great knife, this model is what turned me on to benchmade(instructor had one when I joined the army) been carrying a variation of this model religiously for over 6 years. downside is its handle heavy and since I came close to loosing one during sustained ABN training it now rides in a sheath.

BM 806 AFCK- from a limited run. combines both the AXIS lock, carbon fiber, and s30V. great knife, downside is it rides a bit high in the pocket

BM 710-cool knife with a slim profile. blade does have a slight re curve to it, can be fun to sharpen.

BM 42 bali-cool toy

Green beret 5.5- vary nice, found it at a fayetteville gun show the weekend before I started the Q and have carried it on my ruck throughout the course. I remember getting the most use out of it during SERE well until...they took it;)

incommin
01-05-2009, 17:52
The best knife I ever used was the one I had with me when I needed a knife. A knife is a tool. No one tool works best in all situations....... I was once most fond of Gerber MKII.....till an LT picked it up one day and tossed it at a wall. It snapped at the guard. Why do too many people want to throw knives that were not designed to be thrown?

Jim

Diablo
01-06-2009, 17:12
My favorite and EDC is one of Mr. Harsey's T1's with serration. Basic tool, yet a work of art in it's own right. In the word of folders the Lone Wolf T series is hard to beat. In full disclosure I don't own the CR Sebenza, but having seen them I can see why people are fans.
As per the norm it is far easier to say which are not up to spped. Any of the SOG folders are POS's. Fixed blades they are OK, but their folders- not so much...
Speaking of fixed blades, my Benchmade- can't remember the model, Camilus maybe?- has been a great little knife for most field work.
Lastly, below is a link to an outfit- that I have NO connection to other than that of customer- that sells a great $12 "EOD Breacher Bar" which is a rather large misnomer, but with 2-3 minutes on the grinder becomes a nice little tool.

http://countycomm.com/eodrtool.htm

grog18b
01-12-2009, 11:32
The best all-around FIELD knife I've ever had is the Alcas "Solution". It is a combination knife, saw, gut-hook and AXE that additionally has a waterproof compartment. It can also be used as a wicked set of brass knuckles and hammer.

It is very light and I've carried mine in the field for over 20 years.

Pics here: http://cutlerscove.com/survival-knives/alcas-solution.htm

I don't know if they make them anymore...

While on the DMZ, I carried my Grandfather's WW2 trench knife. It wasn't the best blade, by far, but I would HATE to get cracked in the nugget with those brass knuckles... Perhaps Bill could make us a combat, updated version of the old WW2 trench knife with a few "extras"??? Like integrated compass, hollow, waterproof storage compartment, saw backed blade with a tip akin to a boot knife or tanto... All in OD green and jet black. You know... Something you can pry start a jeep with... :D Oh, and the front of the knuckles should have raised ODA numbers, so one could... leave his mark, so to speak.
Not that you were looking for ideas or anything... :)

SRGross
01-13-2009, 10:22
The best knife I ever used was the one I had with me when I needed a knife. A knife is a tool. No one tool works best in all situations....... I was once most fond of Gerber MKII.....till an LT picked it up one day and tossed it at a wall. It snapped at the guard. Why do too many people want to throw knives that were not designed to be thrown?

Jim

Should have thrown the Lt into the wall, might have the same results;)

lrsu
01-15-2009, 07:09
My BUSSE knives have always served me well.

Mycroft
01-26-2009, 02:41
My carry knife is a Benchmade Rukus with a combo edge.

It falls into "Best knife I've ever used" for several reasons.

1. Axis lock. I do not trust liner locks after watching someone lose a good chunk of their index finger when one failed/did not lock. I have total confidence in the axis lock.
2. Clip location. Even though this is a big knife (4.2 inch blade, OAL is slightly over 10 inches) I can wear it with slacks and no one can see it in my pocket unless they spy the clip from a distance. I usually wear a suit, jacket, or duster depending on the weather and occasion, which covers even that, but more concealability is always better in my opinion. Also, the clip can be moved to the other side of the hilt, which is nice since I am left handed.
3. It holds an edge quite nicely.
4. Blade length. If I got a smaller blade I would have opted to not have the serrations. Having a larger blade is always handy, except when I go to Washington, then idiotic laws kick in and an inanimate object somehow becomes "evil."

My personal preferences for a better folding knife would be for it would be for it to keep its current above features and add an assisted opening device.

doctom54
02-11-2009, 21:54
My favorite, but not necessarily the "best", is my Dozier Slim Outdoorsman with jigged bone handles.
http://www.agrussell.com/dozier-slim-outdoorsman-with-natural-rucarta-handle/p/DKhhh4NTH/

Bill Harsey
02-12-2009, 10:16
Mycroft,
The key to using any folder is to handle it as if the lock could fail at any time.
You are doing the right thing, using a knife you like.

doctom54,
Dozier is a hell of a maker.

Indian
02-14-2009, 19:50
For EDC I've been carrying and using a Doug Ritter RSK Mk1 folder since they were introduced. The S30V blade maintains its edge and is easily tuned up, lightweight, strong blade, easy opening, closing and a very positive lock. I've used it extensively for boning out moose, deer and sheep in Alaska and have found it to be very utilitarian for me. I even use it with a flint to start fires. It has become my favorite EDC knife.

For a really strong knife in the field I rely on my Green Beret. I am amazed at the strength, durability and usefulness of this blade for rough work. I can't seem to break or ruin this one, which is something I can't say for a lot of others I have had. Being heavy, I don't carry it for sheep hunts or SAR work (unless the need is foreseen).

Most recently I have developed an affinity for the PS.com knife. Very useful and now part of my SAR pack, carried attached to the shoulder strap for easy access. It has solved the need for a fixed blade that is both strong yet lightweight for this purpose.

I am always looking at and trying out new knives, but I haven't found anything I like more than these so far.

DDD
02-15-2009, 08:48
As for folders, I could never choose just one (which is why I have about 50).....Fixed blade for field use I used 2 during my 15 years on teams.....The first a Brend model 2 71/2" blade and a Busse Steel Heart. Both were indestructable and I still have both of them. As an aside they were both carried in kydex sheaths made by Tim Wegner in his garage about 5 years before he started Blade-Tech.
DDD

mountaineer67
02-18-2009, 02:58
For EDC I've been carrying and using a Doug Ritter RSK Mk1 folder since they were introduced. The S30V blade maintains its edge and is easily tuned up, lightweight, strong blade, easy opening, closing and a very positive lock. I've used it extensively for boning out moose, deer and sheep in Alaska and have found it to be very utilitarian for me. I even use it with a flint to start fires. It has become my favorite EDC knife.

I have also carried and used the Ritter Mk1 since it first came out and have only good things to say about it.

I have been carrying and using a Strider SMF for two years now and have to say it is about the best hard use folder I have ever had. A great EDC Knife. Although somewhat large for most users.

rickygski
02-18-2009, 18:27
A SOG for Fighting and a Jimmy Lile for Show

MadDogG
09-15-2011, 18:46
EDC- Leatherman wave.

Best knife ever? At 5'3" I have found for myself, I like the RAT-3. It fits. Beyond that, for chopping and such, I like the kabar machete. Very sharp as was the RAT straight out of the box. Awesome knife. Have tried a few others here and there. I like the cold steel bushman, it's sharp, but way underweight. I have one expensive knife.....which in my opinion is a P.O.S., I would take any of the others I have mentioned over that 300 dollar, ( oh wait the website says that the msrp on those is now $3,000 dollars) piece of crap.

Self-Defense- I don't carry them for that. If I feel that I need a weapon to go somewhere I'm taking a gun, PERIOD.

Just so you can see that I am not full of crap on the expensive knife.....here is the knife. http://www.redscorpionsix.com/catalog/raven-wsk-wilderness-survival-knife

Angry Mike
09-17-2011, 11:58
my favorite is a full size Sebenza.

I got three of them but the full size is the most useful.

Defend
09-18-2011, 19:39
First time finding this thread - great read. Early on somebody commented that sometimes the best knife is the one you had when you needed it - how true that is!

For me my best knife was a $20 3 5/8" Winchester folder that I carried tucked in behind my belt buckle overseas. I was scrambling in a desert mountain range and slipped on a steep gravel grade that led down to a 35-40 meter cliff. I laid down flat and lowered my center of gravity but couldn't get enough traction to stop. I rolled onto my side, whipped out the knife and flicked it open and ice-picked it into the ground with my right hand and dug in my fingers with my left. The 7 meters or so between me and the drop off when I finally stopped felt like inches.

That knife probably saved my life, making it the best knife I've ever owned. My requirements for knives now are:

1) can be opened/drawn one handed
2) 3"+ blade
3) a grip I can cling to for dear life

-out

Team Sergeant
09-19-2011, 09:31
EDC- Leatherman wave.

Best knife ever? At 5'3" I have found for myself, I like the RAT-3. It fits. Beyond that, for chopping and such, I like the kabar machete. Very sharp as was the RAT straight out of the box. Awesome knife. Have tried a few others here and there. I like the cold steel bushman, it's sharp, but way underweight. I have one expensive knife.....which in my opinion is a P.O.S., I would take any of the others I have mentioned over that 300 dollar, ( oh wait the website says that the msrp on those is now $3,000 dollars) piece of crap.

Self-Defense- I don't carry them for that. If I feel that I need a weapon to go somewhere I'm taking a gun, PERIOD.

Just so you can see that I am not full of crap on the expensive knife.....here is the knife. http://www.redscorpionsix.com/catalog/raven-wsk-wilderness-survival-knife

Did you beat up and take Conan's EDC knife?:rolleyes:

BOfH
09-19-2011, 10:23
My EDC is a Gerber A/F folder, it's been great for (un)screwing and prying open servers/desktops and well as laptop brain surgery :D

Dusty
09-19-2011, 12:15
Kershaw "Needs Work". Has kind of a sheepsfoot blade.

MVP
09-19-2011, 15:22
This is the one in my pocket right now. It is an old Western brand Barlow model 822 and is about 5 3/4 inches when open.

MVP

MadDogG
09-19-2011, 15:31
Did you beat up and take Conan's EDC knife?:rolleyes:

LOL! HAHAHA! No. I uh....meant I was 5'3" not the knife. LOL! And my edc is a leatherman wave. I take it everywhere.

The Rat-3 is small. Has a 3" blade, but it's the handle, for my size, and my little hands, it just fits really, really well.

mojaveman
09-19-2011, 22:09
Call me cheap.

The well known expensive knives are all great but when it comes to losing an edged weapon in the field I'd rather loose an inexpensive Ka-bar or one of the others. And yes, I've lost a few of them. If you know how to properly sharpen steel they do the job.

The Reaper
09-20-2011, 16:56
Call me cheap.

The well known expensive knives are all excellent but when it comes to losing edged weapons in the field I'd rather loose an inexpensive K-Bar or USAF survival knife. And yes, I've lost a few of them. If you know how to properly sharpen steel they do the job.

I have a 60's era survival knife and it is one of the worst field knives I have ever owned. The guy who designed it probably never slept anywhere outside of a hotel room. That explains the Air Force part.

The Kabar is not bad, used one of them for many years as a field knife.

TR

Dusty
09-20-2011, 17:01
I have a 60's era survival knife and it is one of the worst field knives I have ever owned. The guy who designed it probably never slept anywhere outside of a hotel room. That explains the Air Force part.

The Kabar is not bad, used one of them for many years as a field knife.

TR

I cut the guards off a Kabar and used it for many years, myself. It held it's edge and sharpened quickly to boot. Never figured that out. Good knife.

DJ Urbanovsky
09-21-2011, 08:19
That's 1095 for you. Easy to sharpen and good edge retention. :D

I cut the guards off a Kabar and used it for many years, myself. It held it's edge and sharpened quickly to boot. Never figured that out. Good knife.

Mike Spight
10-12-2011, 14:48
I used to think the best fixed blade knife I've ever owned was my Randall Mod 14...I've had it since 1979, in tool steel.

Now, my Halloran 360 may have taken over that role...along with the PSD-5 Tom is making for me now. Tom Halloran makes some beautiful blades, BTW.

As for EDC...normally a Strider SnG or SMF...the SnG is about the right size, though, for me.

I did have a Large Sebenza, but sadly lost it while attending my SVN Unit's reunion a couple of months ago...and yeah, that really sucked. I doubt I'll get another as I never carried it as much as my Striders...it was more of a "BBQ Folder".

MVP
10-12-2011, 15:57
I had just shot a big muley on the mountain above my parents place and in the process of splitting the pelvis using my hand to pound on the end of the handle driving the point through the bone the blade snapped through the pivot hole of a Gerber folding hunter. I had done this many times over with a buck so thought there was no issue. Anyway, I was half a mile past where I could get a horse up a steep canyon by myself. Ended up holding the blade in a gloved hand to finish the chore. Once I got home, the knife went in the shop trash can where the box from the recently purchased knife was. Didn't hold much of an edge either...

Barbarian
10-12-2011, 16:46
using my hand to pound on the end of the handle driving the point through the bone the blade snapped through the pivot hole of a Gerber folding hunter

But that's not the intended use of a folding knife.:p

Dusty
10-12-2011, 16:50
But that's not the intended use of a folding knife.:p

Yeah. You're supposed to use a folding cleaver for that function.

mangler
10-12-2011, 18:00
Best knife I've ever used is a tactical folding hunter from Daniel Stucky. I've been careful how I use my knife since purchasing it. The most abused-worked knife I have is an old gerber folder. Dan was taught by our favorite knife maker here.

http://stuckyknives.com/

cold1
10-12-2011, 20:26
My favorite Knife for field dressing is a first production run of the Gerber Gator with clip point and partial serration on the blade. The belly is wide and works great for skinning, the serrated blade makes short work of all the joints including the rib cage. The handle stays in your hand regardless of how much blood gets on it. Its big enough for most dressing task and agile enough for the delicate work of butchering.

MVP
10-14-2011, 07:53
This one went in my pocket this morning.

mark46th
10-15-2011, 10:16
Back in the day, I had a short bladed Kabar on my webgear. I still have it...
For cleaning large mammals such as pigs and antelope, I carry a small Case for cutting around the anus and a fixed blade Gerber Gator (3.75" Blade) in my back pack for field dressing. The Gerber did well for me last week, I field dressed 3 antelope with it. It went right through the breastbones without too much effort. I didn't sharpen it between animals so it holds an edge.

Barbarian
10-15-2011, 20:06
This one went in my pocket this morning.

That's a nice looking slip-joint folder.

badshot
01-10-2012, 00:54
Someone gave me this Gerber knife some time ago and never used it until about six months ago to cut some cardboard. Came as extra with a multi-tool. Liked it so much decided to put it in my every day small belt pouch that holds a mag/striker stick, Multi-tool, light, and cord. (ie. screwed pouch).

Abused it for the last three months: Stay's sharp, hasn't broken, even cuts mre boxes (wear gloves for this), thumb open knob on both sides (knob just the right size, not too big to get caught on stuff) and pocket clip...don't even know the name of it, but I'd get another one if I saw it. Has out lasted two pairs of gloves.

Nice sharp, strong, little knife...

Spitfire34
01-10-2012, 02:44
My favorite folder: Gen 1 Gerber Applegate Combat Folder (lost in Iraq)
Favorite fixed blade: Camillus Cuda CQB1

Guymullins
01-10-2012, 04:17
Without a doubt the German Puma White Hunter a superbly crafted, robust knife that will do anything asked of it from axing down a tree to skinning a buffalo and opening a can.

Drizabone
01-10-2012, 10:45
Favorite folder: Pohlforce Alpha Two Survival
Favorite fixed blade: Extrema Ratio Col Moschin

http://www.pohlforce.de/produkte/messer/alpha-two-survival

http://www.extremaratioknivesdivision.eu/english/prodotti/col_moschin/index.html

CW3SF
01-10-2012, 14:18
In Desert Shield, someone from Cold Steel sent my detachment a box of Cold Steel Recon Scout fixed blades. All they asked in return was that everyone who carried it provide an honest written evaluation (good or bad) after the war. I carried that knife on my web gear for about 15 years, until retirement and used it for everything in the field. It is an awesome blade for the field. Still holds an edge and has endured large doses of torture. :lifter

http://www.coldsteel.com/reconscout.html

For daily pocket carry I use a Benchmade HK Mini Auto.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/14750

badshot
01-11-2012, 06:48
, until retirement and used it for everything in the field. It is an awesome blade for the field. Still holds an edge and has endured large doses of torture. :lifter

http://www.coldsteel.com/reconscout.html

Nice knives.

That recon looks like a good blade, even looks good for skinning and use in water. Considering similar high quality knifes, the price is good too. Book marked it for likely later purchase.

Thanks

Inflexible Six
07-28-2012, 10:09
The most useful knife I've ever owned is an old Swiss Army Knife. Carried one in my ruck, carry one in my truck. You can't kill anybody with it (well, some of you guys probably could), but I must use it 3-4 times a week.

The Kabar combat knife and folding buck have also served me well.

The Marine Raiders used to carry big aviation screwdrivers that they'd sharpened to a point on a bench grinder to use as a stabbing weapon. The "blade," being long, round and slender would have good penetration through the ribcage.

Kasik
05-18-2014, 13:39
Over the long haul -

KaBar Fighting-Utility Knife.

Beef
05-23-2014, 12:00
Over the long haul -

KaBar Fighting-Utility Knife.

Mine, too. Of course, I was many years before the Yarborough. But it or the Pacific version are vast improvements over the KaBar, technically, materially and ergonomicly. I have both of the new ones, but as I am retired, they are safe queens.

Debo
05-23-2014, 14:35
I am pretty late to the party. But my best knife is my Horrigan Fighter. Designed by Bob, built by John. Took it to SERE school and everywhere I have been since.

D.

TrapperFrank
05-24-2014, 04:46
Buck Yachtsman 315, had it for years, then lost it.

x SF med
05-25-2014, 10:59
Buck Yachtsman 315, had it for years, then lost it.

Look into purchasing the Kershaw 12 Meter. as a replacement... it's a little heavier than the Yachtsman, but it has a beefier hand profile, nice when it's wet and chilly.

WoodMouse
06-02-2014, 09:12
Finally bent the Kabar I've used backcountry for the last twenty years and recently replaced it with a Randall ESEE based on advice. I like the thinner blade on the ESEE but I haven't used it enough to form a real opinion. I'll get back to you in a year or two :)

I rope from horseback, so my EDC has to have a partially serrated edge. My EDC gets (mis)used for everything when I don't have the real tool for the job handy and gets replaced often enough that I gave up on beautiful pocket knives some years ago. My current is a cheap Gerber EVO and is about the best I've had because the blade will hold an edge for a couple of weeks and it's been almost a year now and the clip still hasn't worked loose.

Bladeenthusiast
01-14-2015, 09:24
As an EDC, most likely H&K tumult for survival IMHO the ka-bar/Becker BK9

TrapperFrank
01-18-2015, 15:26
A Buck 315 Yachtsman

chance
01-18-2015, 19:56
Mine is a Gary Wheeler, but I'm a little biased.;) I carried mine in Afghanistan, and cut everything with it from MRE's to det cord. It was so worth a Morgan silver dollar.:D