PDA

View Full Version : Music as Torture????

afchic
12-10-2008, 10:41
Can anyone say boo fricking hooo?????
Atlanta Journal-Constitution
December 10, 2008

Military Use Of Blasting Music As A Weapon To Break Detainees Shocks Some Performers

By Andrew O. Selsky, Associated Press

Guantanamo Bay Naval Base, Cuba--Blaring from a speaker behind a metal grate in his tiny cell in Iraq, the blistering rock from Nine Inch Nails hit Prisoner No. 200343 like a sonic bludgeon.

“Stains like the blood on your teeth,” Trent Reznor snarled over distorted guitars. “Bite. Chew.”

The auditory assault went on for days, then weeks, then months at the U.S. military detention center. Twenty hours a day. AC/DC. Queen. Pantera. The prisoner, military contractor Donald Vance of Chicago, said he grew suicidal.

The tactic has been common in the U.S. war on terror, with forces systematically using loud music on hundreds of detainees in Iraq, Afghanistan and Guantanamo Bay. Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, then the U.S. commander in Iraq, authorized it on Sept. 14, 2003, “to create fear, disorient … and prolong capture shock.”

Now the detainees aren’t the only ones complaining. Musicians are banding together to demand the U.S. military stop using their songs as weapons.

A campaign being launched today has brought together groups including Massive Attack and musicians such as Tom Morello, who played with Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave and is now on a solo tour. It will feature minutes of silence during concerts and festivals, said Chloe Davies of the British law group Reprieve, which represents dozens of Guantanamo Bay detainees and is organizing the campaign.

At least Vance, who says he was jailed for reporting illegal arms sales, was used to rock music. For many detainees who grew up in Afghanistan--where music was prohibited under Taliban rule--interrogations by U.S. forces marked their first exposure to the pounding rhythms, played at top volume.

The experience was overwhelming for many. Binyam Mohammed, now a prisoner at Guantanamo Bay, said men held with him at the CIA’s “Dark Prison” in Afghanistan wound up screaming and smashing their heads against walls, unable to endure more.

“There was loud music, [Eminem’s] ‘Slim Shady’ and Dr. Dre for 20 days. I heard this nonstop,” he told his lawyer, Clive Stafford Smith, a former attorney with the Atlanta-based Southern Center for Human Rights. “The CIA worked on people, including me, day and night for the months before I left. Plenty lost their minds.”

The spokeswoman for Guantanamo’s detention center, Navy Cmdr. Pauline Storum, wouldn’t give details of when and how music has been used at the prison, but said it isn’t used today. She didn’t respond when asked whether music might be used in the future.

FBI agents stationed at Guantanamo Bay reported numerous instances in which music was blasted at detainees, saying they were “told such tactics were common there.”

According to an FBI memo, one interrogator at Guantanamo Bay bragged he needed only four days to “break” someone by alternating 16 hours of music and lights with four hours of silence and darkness.

Not all of the music is hard rock. Christopher Cerf, who wrote music for “Sesame Street,” said he was horrified to learn songs from the children’s TV show were used in interrogations.

“I wouldn’t want my music to be a party to that,” he said.

Bob Singleton, whose song “I Love You” is beloved by legions of preschool Barney fans, wrote in a newspaper opinion column that any music can become unbearable if played loudly for long stretches.

“It’s absolutely ludicrous,” he wrote in the Los Angeles Times. “A song that was designed to make little children feel safe and loved was somehow going to threaten the mental state of adults and drive them to the emotional breaking point?”

Some musicians, however, say they’re proud that their music is used in interrogations. Those include bassist Stevie Benton, whose group Drowning Pool has performed in Iraq and recorded one of the interrogators’ favorites, “Bodies.”

“People assume we should be offended that somebody in the military thinks our song is annoying enough that played over and over it can psychologically break someone down,” he told Spin magazine. “I take it as an honor to think that perhaps our song could be used to quell another 9/11 attack or something like that.”

Torment playlist

According to the British law group Reprieve, these are among the songs U.S. military interrogators have used most frequently:

*“Enter Sandman,” Metallica.

*“Bodies,” Drowning Pool.

*“Shoot to Thrill,” AC/DC.

*“Hell’s Bells,” AC/DC.

*“I Love You,” from the “Barney and Friends” children’s TV show.

*“Born in the USA,” Bruce Springsteen.

*“White America,” Eminem.

*“Sesame Street,” theme song from the children’s TV show.

Other bands and artists whose music has been frequently played at U.S. detention sites: Aerosmith, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Don McLean, Lil’ Kim, Limp Bizkit, Meat Loaf, Rage Against the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Tupac Shakur.

Source: Reprieve

zuluzerosix
12-10-2008, 10:48
Images from A Clockwork Orange come to mind.....Hey, whatever works is fine by me!

csquare
12-10-2008, 11:12
We had an exercise at Tolz (Fall 88/89), with the Berlin Bde as OPFOR. Our safe house was compromised. "BA" Allard and myself took one for the team and got captured. They took us to the Ranger platoon confidence compound. We both were tied, kneeling on rocks, to a tar covered telephone pole, kotex covering our eyes with 100 mph wrapped around our heads, and this loud music blaring inches from our ears. It only lasted for one night And after the sun came up, they put us into the detention tent.

But if they made me listen to that damn Barney song just once, it would had put me on the chip and probably made me go mental too. Listening to it for hours on end.....Lord!

Puertoland
12-10-2008, 11:15
They should try using "Don't break my heart, my achy breaky heart."

Will break the terrorists much faster.

All jokes aside, music is much more humane then burning the flesh off of ones feet for bones to fall out, rectum stretching, and bats to the soles of feet, along with the other 3rd world forms of torture.

I have no idea how people think one is to conduct themselves in war, if no pressure can be applied. The British lost during the revolutionary war when they tried to wage it the "nice" way, and if it was up to the people who have no idea what war is like, we'd lose through the same means.

zuluzerosix
12-10-2008, 11:19
rectum stretching????

I get enough of that at work. No thanks.

JJ_BPK
12-10-2008, 11:50
Here are some of my favorites,,

Has-em screaming every time...

Kyobanim
12-10-2008, 11:53
Here are some of my favorites,,

Has-em screaming every time...

Now you're scaring me

Puertoland
12-10-2008, 11:54
rectum stretching????

I get enough of that at work. No thanks.

Well it usually doesn't end in it just being stretched, I guess ripping is a better term...

Another to add to the list: I want to love you tender.

Watching the muted video works just as fine as well.

Team Sergeant
12-10-2008, 12:27
I don't know, if I "had to" listen to Rap music or barbra streisand for any length of time it would not take long for me to tell every secret I've ever been privy too....;)

JJ_BPK
12-10-2008, 12:52
Now you're scaring me

It gets better,,,

When the thiopental cocktail kicks,

spin these favorites,, in English, Spanish, Japanese, or Yiddish,,

Barry & Babs

Richard
12-10-2008, 12:53
When some of the guys in the 7th Group barracks were being a little loud when I was trying to get some sleep, I'd put this 8Track tape of Native American music in my player, crank the volume up, lock the door, and leave the barracks for about 30 mikes. By the time I returned, the other music had been turned down or the party had moved elsewhere, and I could get some sleep. If you've ever listened to some Comanche, Sioux, Navajo or whatever music for any length of time...over about 1 minute...you'd surrender, too, because that stuff is even worse than listening to that Chinese opera caterwaulering and untuned first cousin of a sitar plinking noise. :D

Richard's $.02 :munchin

zuluzerosix
12-10-2008, 13:17
When some of the guys in the 7th Group barracks were being a little loud when I was trying to get some sleep, I'd put this 8Track tape of Native American music in my player, crank the volume up, lock the door, and leave the barracks for about 30 mikes. By the time I returned, the other music had been turned down or the party had moved elsewhere, and I could get some sleep. If you've ever listened to some Comanche, Sioux, Navajo or whatever music for any length of time...over about 1 minute...you'd surrender, too, because that stuff is even worse than listening to that Chinese opera caterwaulering and untuned first cousin of a sitar plinking noise. :D

I HAVE!!!

My old neighbors were Native American. We would get it live whenever there was a birthday or a wedding or some other Native American holiday. They would have a pretty big shindig right in the backyard with drums and the whole works!

Mother of Pearl it would go on and on into the night.

Richard
12-10-2008, 13:28
I HAVE!!!

My old neighbors were Native American. We would get it live whenever there was a birthday or a wedding or some other Native American holiday. They would have a pretty big shindig right in the backyard with drums and the whole works!

Mother of Pearl it would go on and on into the night.

And that's another reason why we drink...a lot! :D

GratefulCitizen
12-10-2008, 13:30
If you've ever listened to some Comanche, Sioux, Navajo or whatever music for any length of time...over about 1 minute...you'd surrender, too, because that stuff is even worse than listening to that Chinese opera caterwaulering and untuned first cousin of a sitar plinking noise. :D

While making a delivery a couple of weeks ago, the local radio was blaring rap music...in Navajo.

Richard
12-10-2008, 13:31
While making a delivery a couple of weeks ago, the receiver's radio was blaring rap music...in Navajo.

OMG!!! :eek: Oh, my ears!!! :rolleyes:

greenberetTFS
12-10-2008, 13:48
While making a delivery a couple of weeks ago, the local radio was blaring rap music...in Navajo.

That's enough to make you cry and give them whatever they want to know....;)

GB TFS :munchin

Slantwire
12-10-2008, 14:19
that stuff is even worse than listening to that Chinese opera caterwaulering and untuned first cousin of a sitar plinking noise.

Dear God. I didn't know anything could be worse.

My favorite description of Chinese opera: Imagine someone beating on a metal trash can in an alley - that's the music. For the singing, imagine the cat inside the can!

Blitzzz (RIP)
12-10-2008, 14:23
There is always Barbra Streisand singing RAP.:eek:.

ZonieDiver
12-10-2008, 15:06
How about this one... my favorite part of "Mars Attacks"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXULwgzezUg&feature=related

Dozer523
12-10-2008, 15:08
Bob Singleton, whose song “I Love You” is beloved by legions of preschool Barney fans, wrote in a newspaper opinion column that any music can become unbearable if played loudly for long stretches.

The dinosaurs did not become Extinct. Barney convinced them to commit suicide!

nmap
12-10-2008, 15:37
There's an interesting technology out there that introduces a distinct sound frequency into each ear. It produces a result equal to the difference between the two - called the beat frequency. More interesting still is that brain wave patterns tend to follow the resulting output. The underlying sound can even be embedded in music.

One benign use is to induce sleep - I use it myself, and it seems to work quite well. I cannot help wondering what would happen if one combined particularly annoying music with the technology. Perhaps a beat frequency exists that induces fear, or confusion...

Now, if I could just locate Igor.... :munchin

Sdiver
12-10-2008, 18:34
I don't know, if I "had to" listen to Rap music or barbra streisand for any length of time it would not take long for me to tell every secret I've ever been privy too....;)

Ah HA !!!!! Now we know the secret !!!! :lifter

Those of you going to shoot, make sure you bring some Rap music and play it in TS's ears at night. Just tell him it'll help drown out Sir Williams loud .... a...breathing at night. :D

echoes
12-10-2008, 18:39
The dinosaurs did not become Extinct. Barney convinced them to commit suicide!

Sir, So TRUE!!! Having babysat my nieces and nephew...I agree! :p

The only other thing more hideous I can think of would be some kind of Ms. Brittney Spears/ George Michael duet. Oh good god the thought!:eek:

Holly

Kyobanim
12-10-2008, 19:20
I think they should use William Shatner's albumn. That's torture just thinking about it.

Puertoland
12-10-2008, 20:48
I think they should use William Shatner's albumn. That's torture just thinking about it.

Quoted for truth.

Damn...he was just so horrible I'd have to bash my face into a hamburger if I was forced to listen to it.

He didn't even sing...it was just him talking.

nmap
12-10-2008, 21:03
I just did a very foolish thing.

I went to Amazon and listened to the previews of Mr. Shatner's album.

Ouch. It was even worse than I had imagined. :eek:

mac117
12-11-2008, 07:04
I tortured my parents, my kids tortured me.....what's the big deal? I do suggest disco or techno, though....that would make anybody talk!

AF IDMT
12-11-2008, 07:57
I didn't see any Country Music on the list. Hmmmm

Native Texan :D

The antihero
12-11-2008, 09:44
Back in the days if somebody told you "to torture him, they made him listen to childrens' songs" you'd assume they where talking about a sequence of some David Zucker movie and start laughing your head off. I guess we are not in the '80s anymore.

zuluzerosix
12-11-2008, 10:21
Naw, I got it....

All of you dads know about this one......

Just make them watch one, just one episode of The Wiggles....

frostfire
12-11-2008, 10:24
But if they made me listen to that damn Barney song just once, it would had put me on the chip and probably made me go mental too. Listening to it for hours on end.....Lord!

So true. While waiting in a public health office surrounded by kids and kids music/shows, I started havin SI:D
Well, what's worse is when those teletubbies started singing/dancing. Have the prisoners listen to or watch that. It won't be long...

greenberetTFS
12-11-2008, 11:27
You guys have never heard,and hope you never have to,"It's a small world after all" in Polish. I can't remember who sang it, but I remember hearing it on the radio in Chicago during one of those tell us your favorite song night........:rolleyes:

Kyobanim
12-11-2008, 13:09
I just did a very foolish thing.

I went to Amazon and listened to the previews of Mr. Shatner's album.

Ouch. It was even worse than I had imagined. :eek:

Good. Now tell me, where do you hide the atom bombs?

Richard
12-11-2008, 13:10
Don't forget the pain of having to spend the Christmas season listening to The Chipmunks singing "Please, Christmas don't be late" about every fifth song and those escaped animal shelter mutts from hell barking their rendition of "Jingle Bells." :eek:

No wonder the Islamic world hates us. :p

Richard's $.02

Puertoland
12-11-2008, 16:44
I didn't see any Country Music on the list. Hmmmm

Native Texan :D

Thats because you missed Achey breaky heart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EebObs-vC0&feature=related

Yeah, we didn't let you guys get away that easy :D

Richard
12-11-2008, 18:25
Here in Texas we listen to real Christmas music...such as Robert Earl Keene...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P37xPiRz1sg

Red Flag 1
12-11-2008, 18:32
It gets better,,,

When the thiopental cocktail kicks,

spin these favorites,, in English, Spanish, Japanese, or Yiddish,,

Barry & Babs

Each alone is torture, together is probably a crime.

Add naked pics of each, and you could break anyone. :D

RF 1

zuluzerosix
12-11-2008, 18:50
Here in Texas we listen to real Christmas music...such as Robert Earl Keene...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P37xPiRz1sg

Love that song...I have ken folk in Harlingen too, with an RV....

AngelsSix
12-11-2008, 21:02
You are all mean, horrible people............

I suggest this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPnGPIMUnus

or perhaps this: http://www.vh1.com/video/play.jhtml?artist=150205&vid=236519
:p

nmap
12-11-2008, 22:22
Bah! It's time for music of mass distraction.

YouTube Christmas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2LmlidHdoQ)

Dozer523
12-11-2008, 22:41
". . . And then -- no, it was not relief, only hope, a tiny fragment of hope.
Too late, perhaps too late.
But he had suddenly understood that in the whole world there was just one person to whom he could transfer his punishment -- one body that he could thrust between himself and the rats.
And he was shouting frantically, over and over.
'Do it to Julia! Do it to Julia! Not me! Julia! I don't care what you do to her. Tear her face off, strip her to the bones. Not me! Julia! Not me!'"

George got it right, 1984

afchic
12-12-2008, 10:00
You guys have never heard,and hope you never have to,"It's a small world after all" in Polish. I can't remember who sang it, but I remember hearing it on the radio in Chicago during one of those tell us your favorite song night........:rolleyes:

What a memory that brings back. When I was about 8, my parents took us to Disney World for the last time before we PCSd back to Colorado. At the time "It's a Small World" was one of our favorite rides. So on we went, only to get stuck in the ride for 4 hours. Unfortunately it was only the track the boats "float" along on that was broken. The music continued to play and the dancers continued to dance.

We kids look back on it with fond memories. Every time I hear that song I smile. Everytime my parents hear it their eyes glaze over, they start to drool, and begin to pull their hair out:)

GratefulCitizen
12-15-2008, 22:45

OMG!!! :eek: Oh, my ears!!! :rolleyes:

I have to recant some of my opinion.

While the music (traditional, not rap) is painful to listen to on the radio, it actually sounds quite good inside a sweat lodge.

Must have something to do with the acoustics.

Dozer523
12-15-2008, 23:21
You are all mean, horrible people............

or perhaps this: http://www.vh1.com/video/play.jhtml?artist=150205&vid=236519
:p

Well that just stinks. It used to be when you earned a beret you got a Rolex, a pair of RayBans and a Harley. Billy Ray has ruined the Raybans part!:mad:

theIliad
12-30-2008, 21:56
We had an exercise at Tolz (Fall 88/89), with the Berlin Bde as OPFOR.

I'll wager that your performance matched that in Montana- worthless

morolen
12-30-2008, 23:02
as a fan of electronic music, i guarantee i can find some beats to drive anyone nuts, myself included.

Saoirse
12-31-2008, 11:53
Oh no.. I think the use of bagpipes would do the trick! Personally, I love them but to the untrained ear (ROFL) they can sound hideous! Check out these two: my favorites:

Billy Connolly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB6yzhoOjH0

I can just imagine a bunch of HAIRY Scotsman marching over the pass playing the pipes and drums... oh for the love of Pete!

This one is a bit deceptive at first and it will lead them into a false sense of security....<wicked evil laugh>: :eek:
Wicked Tinkers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwDyOzEMRMo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RG0-Yq06vM

Slainte', Saoirse :D

Richard
12-31-2008, 12:31
Oh no.. I think the use of bagpipes would do the trick! Personally, I love them but to the untrained ear (ROFL) they can sound hideous!

I love the skrill of the pipes...but that may be due partly to my Scot heritage (Clans Hay and Murray) and partly to my partial hearing loss thanks to all those years of marriage and time in SF. :p

greenberetTFS
12-31-2008, 12:41
I don't know.....I love the bagpipes. Can you imagine "Amazing Grace" played by any thing other than pipes? ;)

Saoirse
12-31-2008, 13:17
I don't know.....I love the bagpipes. Can you imagine "Amazing Grace" played by any thing other than pipes? ;)

Oh that brings me to tears and to my knees! But I love it all the same! I have always been fond of the pipes and always will be. Had them at my wedding (maybe thats why I am divorced now? LOL) :p

lksteve
12-31-2008, 14:15
If you've ever listened to some Comanche, Sioux, Navajo or whatever music for any length of time...over about 1 minute...you'd surrender...Damn, hoss...gotta disagree...a little...used to work for a non=profit (gave it up, no money in it) that was tethred to Native American culture and white guilt...the music played over the intercom in the reception area was NA flute music...R. Carlos Nakai, a Navajo, who was also on the board of said non-profit...had to listen to that stuff in 8 hour stretches...learned to block it out...not as bad as rap or a crooner from the 50s...

That said, when I saw R. Carlos on his frequent visits, there were times I wanted to put the flute where the sun doesn't shine...