PDA

View Full Version : "Clipdraw" vs IWB Holster

Noslack71
12-07-2008, 15:00
A gentleman I work with is a Glock fanatic, and he shared his latest modification to his model 19. It's brand name is "Clipdraw", and it is a piece of spring steel that is formed into a clip that attaches directly to the weapon.
The clip allows the pistol to be worn inside the trousers, like an IWB holster only without the bulk of the leather. Has anyone had any experience with these? It looks interesting but, the clip fits directly underneath the ejection port. I asked if that caused any problems, and was told that he had not experienced any. The way the "clipdraw attaches, the clip can be placed on either side of the weapon, you have a small piece of plastic, with two small screw holes. That piece replaces the cover plate on the back end of the Glock, and you screw the clipdraw to the cover plate. You can place the actual clip in a manner to accomadate, to either a left handed or right handed carry. This fellow swears by it, and says he will not go back to holsters. I was wondering if any QP's or other memebers of this board has any experience with this, and their opinion of the clipdraw as a means of conceled carry. I looked the company up on the web, and the "clipdraw" seems to be designed especially for Glocks, and the S&W mdl. 36. I am not a shill for this outfit, just continuing to look for that perfect concealed carry holster/option. I did do a search in PS.com for "clipdraw", and did not get any hits. Thanks

Noslack

ODA 226
12-07-2008, 17:13
I personally would not feel comfortable using this system with any pistol that does not have a positive safety...Mr. Winkle is too young to be medically retired! ;)

JJ_BPK
12-07-2008, 17:21
I personally would not feel comfortable using this system with any pistol that does not have a positive safety...Mr. Winkle is too young to be medically retired! ;)

Agreed,,

My father use a similar get-up on his M36 S&W. It wiggled around and pulled his pants down,, not pretty, and it hurt when fired. This was back in the 50t's.. You slipped the clip under the grip.

Eagle5US
12-07-2008, 17:29
Clipdraw has been around for a number of years. A few people I knew used them in Washington state...after about 2-3 months they went back to their respective favorite IWB's. Granted they were all "IWB utilizers" to begin with.

Their observations:
1. The weapon was not protected in any way from their sweat and "body oils / grime"
2. The "draw" of the weapon was "OK" - but the various bumps and ridges of their weapon tended to get caught on their skin unless they were conscious of their draw angle and careful to adjust during the draw
3. At times the weapon's cant would shift secondary to the weapon riding up on the "clip"

Bottom line for them - neat idea and good in a pinch - but they all much preferred their holsters.

To be honest - when I spend $600-$1000 dollars on a quality handgun, I don't mind spending another $100 or so on a quality holster to protect it. I have not tried the Clipdraw myself.

Eagle

There are multiple threads regarding quality holsters and individual preferences...

Noslack71
12-09-2008, 19:39
Gentlemen;
Thanks for taking the time to post your views on this item.
I appreciate your insights, (Mr. Winkle, is not interested in any type of retirement at any age!!):D
I most likely will purchase a Kramer Horshide IWB instead of the "Clipdraw"
Thanks again for your comments.

Noslack

Big Daddy
12-12-2008, 22:05
If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, take a look at a company called FIST. They make IWB holsters out of what they call "ultra thin " kydex. These holsters are ultra thin, hold up well and are the next best thing to carrying "mexican". I've had the #1K for about three years and it looks brand new even after wearing the thing everyday. The clip that it comes with has a little tab that locks onto your belt making it almost impossible for the holster to either fall out or removed unless you want it removed. I've had all kind of holsters from various companies but FIST is the one I will use now. Using that clipdraw is dangerous. You can accomplish the same level of comfort with better safety and security by using a FIST holster.

Ambush Master
12-12-2008, 22:44
1. The weapon was not protected in any way from their sweat and "body oils / grime"
2. The "draw" of the weapon was "OK" - but the various bumps and ridges of their weapon tended to get caught on their skin unless they were conscious of their draw angle and careful to adjust during the draw
3. At times the weapon's cant would shift secondary to the weapon riding up on the "clip"

Bottom line for them - neat idea and good in a pinch - but they all much preferred their holsters.

To be honest - when I spend $600-$1000 dollars on a quality handgun, I don't mind spending another $100 or so on a quality holster to protect it. I have not tried the Clipdraw myself.

Eagle

There are multiple threads regarding quality holsters and individual preferences...

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, take a look at a company called FIST. They make IWB holsters out of what they call "ultra thin " kydex. These holsters are ultra thin, hold up well and are the next best thing to carrying "mexican". I've had the #1K for about three years and it looks brand new even after wearing the thing everyday. The clip that it comes with has a little tab that locks onto your belt making it almost impossible for the holster to either fall out or removed unless you want it removed. I've had all kind of holsters from various companies but FIST is the one I will use now. Using that clipdraw is dangerous. You can accomplish the same level of comfort with better safety and security by using a FIST holster.

I to have carried in FIST rigs for several years, and for the money, they work extremely well!!

A Milt Sparks Horsehide is tough to beat, but the FIST can be had much quicker and for a lot less!!

Summers in Texas and CCW prompted me to the FIST. They work!!

Later
Martin

caveman
02-27-2011, 00:30
I'm going to take the road less traveled here. I have a clipdraw on my Kahr CW45 and I must say, I'm a believer. I feel it adequately secures the weapon, is comfortable, and most importantly, is a quick and easy way to carry in clothing or situations where I would not otherwise.

I admit it is not as comfortable or as secure as the Comp-Tac Minotaur that I usually carry my 1911 in but the convenience factor is huge.

Any product that makes me carry (safely) more is a good product in my estimation. I would hate to be unarmed in a situation where a gun is needed simply because I didn't want to take the time to put on a belt and holster.

Tree Potato
02-27-2011, 01:57
My biggest concern with the Clipdraw is a weapon's trigger guard and trigger are not enclosed. With pistols where the trigger is the safety, not having it securely covered in a holster is a negligent discharge waiting to happen, especially if the weapon is clipped in a pocket with keys or change.

Bushranger
02-27-2011, 05:17
I tried some IBW holsters, the best one I used is Israeli made Frontline:

kawika
02-27-2011, 23:11
check out the crye precision gunclip. interesting new design, draw would be easier sitting down inside of a vehicle. http://soldiersystems.net/2011/02/26/crye-gunclip-now-available/

on the gunclip note, I have one on my keltec PF-9. I clip it onto my shorts if I have to make a quick run to the grocery store during the summer. It helps in cases were i normally would have not grabbed a weapon due to not wanting to put on a belt, holster, etc. Must be extra aware of the weapon however due to the aforementioned lack of covering on the trigger.

MK262MOD1
02-27-2011, 23:23
A good IWB is hard to beat. I have used the same two Kramer holsters in rotation everyday for 13 years. They have really held up but I paid a pretty price for them back in 1998. That being said I can conceal a 1911 and have done so daily.

I hate to admit it but I have a belt clip on my Keltec P3-AT. It works well on that particular firearm. I would absolutely never recommend it. I have taken to wearing two guns these days.

The Reaper
02-28-2011, 06:18
A good IWB is hard to beat. I have used the same two Kramer holsters in rotation everyday for 13 years. They have really held up but I paid a pretty price for them back in 1998. That being said I can conceal a 1911 and have done so daily.

I hate to admit it but I have a belt clip on my Keltec P3-AT. It works well on that particular firearm. I would absolutely never recommend it. I have taken to wearing two guns these days.

If you feel badly about what you paid for your Kramers, look at what they cost now.

I have a clip on my KelTec as well. Convenient.

TR

MK262MOD1
02-28-2011, 12:01
Wow,
No kidding. I just went and looked. I think I paid that much for my full Rig with Belt.

exsquid
03-01-2011, 06:34
Works well w/ a J-frame.

x/S