PDA

View Full Version : Lest we forget....December 7, 1941

Ret10Echo
12-07-2008, 06:11
On National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, we mourn the more than 2,400 Americans whose lives were lost in the surprise attack on our homeland that changed the course of history. Their service and sacrifice and the service and sacrifice of all our World War II veterans will be forever honored on this day by the citizens of a free and grateful Nation.

On December 7, 1941, the enemy nearly destroyed our Pacific Fleet, and the United States was forced into a long and terrible war. A generation of Americans stepped forward to fight for our country. Their message to America's enemies was clear: If you attack this country and harm our people, there is no corner of the Earth remote enough to protect you from the reach of our Nation's Armed Forces.

Following the war the United States worked to make our most bitter enemies into our closest friends through the transformative power of freedom. The joys of liberty are often secured by the sacrifices of those who serve a cause greater than self. To honor and recognize the sacrifice of our Armed Forces, I have designated nine sites as the World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument. This monument will preserve our history and help share this heritage with future generations. On this anniversary, we honor the heroes who risked and lost their lives for our security and freedom. Their selfless dedication exemplifies the great character of America and continues to inspire our Nation.

The Congress, by Public Law 103-308, as amended, has designated December 7 of each year as "National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day."

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim December 7, 2008, as National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day. I encourage all Americans to observe this solemn occasion with appropriate ceremonies and activities. I urge all Federal agencies and interested organizations, groups, and individuals to fly the flag of the United States at half-staff this December 7 in honor of those who died as a result of their service at Pearl Harbor.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this fifth day of December, in the year of our Lord two thousand eight, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-third.

GEORGE W. BUSH

# # #

Gypsy
12-07-2008, 07:38
Lest we forget... RIP my fellow countrymen.

There is a video at the link of some of the survivors speaking to some students.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081207/ap_on_re_us/pearl_harbor_anniversary

Pearl Harbor commemoration to focus on US response
By HERBERT A. SAMPLE, Associated Press Writer

HONOLULU – With an eye on the immediate aftermath of the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor, thousands of World War II veterans and other observers are expected on Sunday to commemorate the 67th anniversary of the devastating Japanese military raid.

The theme of the event — "Pacific War Memories: The Heroic Response to Pearl Harbor" — is something of a departure from the past.

Usually, the commemoration focuses on the attack on the USS Arizona, Pearl Harbor and several other installations on Oahu. But this year's remembrance ceremony will center more on the months following the raid, said Eileen Martinez, chief of interpretation for the National Park Service.

"We're moving into the Pacific War, the first strike back," she said.

To that end, one of two keynote speakers will be Thomas Griffin, a surviving member of the pilots and crew who answered the Pearl Harbor attack four months later with an aircraft carrier-launched bomber raid on Tokyo.

The B-25 mission, led by Lt. Col. James H. Doolittle, inflicted little damage on Japan but boosted morale in America and led the embarrassed Japanese government to launch an ill-fated attack on Midway Island.

The other keynote address will be delivered by Admiral Robert F. Willard, commander of the U.S. Pacific Fleet.

Sunday's commemoration will feature a performance by the U.S. Pacific Fleet Band, morning colors, a Hawaiian blessing, a rifle salute by the U.S. Marine Corps and a recognition of those who survived the attack.

At 7:55 a.m., when the attack began 67 years ago, a moment of silence will be observed. The destroyer USS Chung-Hoon will render honors to the USS Arizona, which still lies beneath the harbor with its dead.

Almost 2,400 Americans were killed and nearly 1,180 injured when Japanese fighters bombed and sank 12 naval vessels and heavily damaged nine others on Dec. 7, 1941. The Arizona, which sank in less than nine minutes after an armor-piercing bomb breached its deck and exploded in the ship's ammunition magazine, lost 1,177 sailors and marines. About 340 of its crew survived.

Other major installations on Oahu, such as Wheeler Field and Kaneohe Naval Air Station, also were attacked.

This year's ceremony comes weeks after construction began on a new visitor's center for the USS Arizona Memorial. The existing center, which was built 28 years ago on reclaimed land, is sinking. Officials have said it will be unusable in a few years.

This year's event will be held a half-mile away at Kilo Pier of Naval Station Pearl Harbor, the site for next year's commemoration as well. The new visitor's center is scheduled to open Dec. 7, 2010

NoRoadtrippin
12-07-2008, 12:08
Here's to those who paid the ultimate price so many years. Let us not forget our Greatest Generation.

Hopefully we live worthy of their sacrifice.

Dozer523
12-07-2008, 13:04
There was a thing on the history channel about the attack this morning. I really found it interesting that the anniversary fell on the actual day of the week this year. As I went about my "Sunday morninng routine". Get awakenen by the 6 year old at about 0830 (He was late this morning. But, on school days he has to be driven from his bed with a cattle prod (tickles):p.) Turn up the heat in the house, make the coffee, let the dog in from the garage, make the cinnamon rolls, (That gets the rest of them up and the house is warm so they don't startoff complaining:mad:), make the little guys hot chocklet, pour the cofffee and switch on The Sunday Morning Show on CBS. (Church is at 1215 so everyone starts getting ready around 1115 so we can leave by 1145) Except that I was watching CBS on TV instead of listening to CBS on the radio I bet that is pretty close to what was going on 1152 Centeral Standard time 66 years ago. I was hoping the TV would commerate the occassion by breaking into the broadcast with "THIS JUST IN, THERE ARE REPORTS, CREDIBLE REPORTS THAT THE NAVAL STATION AT . . . '

So take a moment to think about what you were doing and then mentally transport yourself back in time. At 1152 I looked out my back window into the winter landscape and wondered about what I might have been thinking. During church (The church we attend was an old church in 1941) Someone sat where I sat -- I'll bet it was packed -- and listened to a priest abandon his sermon about Advent and try to address what was happening.

This is sort of like visiting battlefields during the season ofthe actual battle. The only time I've ever been to Little Big Horn is in the early winter -- the battle was fought on a brutally hot Summer day. I've visited Shiloh in the early, early Spring but before the peach orchard is in bloom. I think the only one I came really close to is The Wilderness. This is a good educational opportunity. If you have parents or grandparents call them, ask them to share this with you.

ZonieDiver
12-07-2008, 15:48
I saw the same History Channel program this morning, and was very relieved to finally see SOMEthing about Pearl Harbor. I was struck first when I picked up my Sunday morning Arizona Republic only to find NO mention of Pearl Harbor at all on the front page (even though they had about 1/3 of the page devoted to "ads" for future stories, and a 1/16 ad for a homebuilder. The second "front page" had a mention about WW2 "collections" featuring Pearl Harbor, but was hardly noticeable.

Then, I watched part of "Meet The Press" (I love to hate Blinkey Brokaw!) and heard only a brief mention of Pearl Harbor by the president-elect. A local news show had a very brief mention - but not the lead. It won't be long until our entire society, save a few, are like the bulk of my students. They have "heard" of Pearl Harbor, but are not quite sure what exactly it is, when exactly it happened, and who exactly was involved.

Sad... As the WW2 generation dies off, it will be up to that "few" to continue the memory and chide those who don't care to remember of the sacrifices of those who served in a time of "peace" that suddenly turned to war.

nmap
12-07-2008, 16:50
It is a day worth remembering - and not just to honor those who died in the attack, nor to commemorate an important turning point.

As I understand it, our military capability was quite limited at the time. There were deep concerns that the Japanese planned a direct invasion of the mainland - and we didn't have the troops or the supplies to stop them. We were, quite simply, unprepared. It took years to transform America into the arsenal of democracy.

Through the years, recollection of our weak posture in 1941, along with concern that the next conflict might offer no time for preparation, has motivated us to maintain a strong military. Time passes, memories fade - and lessons, though hard learned, are forgotten.

Those who forget the lessons of history may get remedial training. For that reason, in addition to the others, we might wish to remember December 7th well.

Richard
12-08-2008, 06:19
Pearl Harbor is worth the visit - the Arizona Memorial and the USS Missouri anchored at Ford Island represent the Alpha and Omega of WW2 for us.

If you go, be prepared to see Japanese WW2 vets visiting the sites with their families and a lot of Japanese whose fathers served in WW2; it means a lot to them, too.

Richard's $.02 :munchin

dennisw
12-08-2008, 09:14
My Wife and I attended a ceremony yesterday in remembrance of the attack on Pearl Harbor. It was held at the Norconian which is a local historical site. The Norconian was a luxury hotel built in the 20’s by a maverick developer using his wife’s money. In the 20’s it was a haven for Hollywood stars, but with the start of the Great Depression, it was either sold or given to the government. During WWII, the luxury hotel became a naval hospital where up to 12,000 wounded sailors were treated per year.

One of the ladies from the historical society read a letter from a corpsman who served in the facility during WWII. His letter spoke of the agony of treating the wounded and his admiration of the actress Kay Francis who was very dedicated in her outreach to the wounded. Said she was not in the least squeamish, unlike her other Hollywood friends. The author relayed a story of her spending two hours with a dying Marine. Said her Hollywood friends like Randolph Scott and Gary Cooper were getting antsy and anxious to leave, but she stayed and so did they. During there visit, the Marine finally succumbed to his wounds while Ms. Francis held him in her arms. He said the look on her friend’s face told him they had never seen anyone die before. He also said Ms. Francis was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen(see photo below).

The ceremony was attended by many vets, four of which were Pearl Harbor survivors. There was also a fair amount of civilian leaders present and who spoke very warmly about veterans and the sacrifices they have made and are making now. The ceremony culminated with a fly over by vintage WWII bombers. They wanted the audience to get a sense of what it must have been like that morning in 1941 when the Japanese bombers flew over Oahu. It was very eerie to see and hear these bombers fly so low overhead.

Probably the most poignant moment for me was when the MC whose son is a staff sergeant in the Army and is on his second deployment to Iraq, welcomed home all the veterans of the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. The MC, a retired Marine Aviator that served in Vietnam, became very emotional and struggled through the last phase of his duties. He said it was easier to go in 1968, then to watch his son go now. All in all, it was a great ceremony at a very historic site. I was very proud of my fellow citizens and civic leaders for such a patriotic display.

Slantwire
12-08-2008, 12:32
actress Kay Francis who was very dedicated in her outreach to the wounded. Said she was not in the least squeamish, unlike her other Hollywood friends. The author relayed a story of her spending two hours with a dying Marine. Said her Hollywood friends like Randolph Scott and Gary Cooper were getting antsy and anxious to leave, but she stayed and so did they. During there visit, the Marine finally succumbed to his wounds while Ms. Francis held him in her arms.

Sounds like she was cut from similar cloth as Martha Raye.

Dozer523
12-08-2008, 14:01
I'm back, sorry. But, DennisW's post reminded me of something. Way back in 1991 (the 50th anniversary of WWII – which receiver very little “play” then, amazingly) I was working at a bank learning to do mortgages. I had an older couple assigned to me and I was really trying not to mess it up. We were signing all the many documents and one had to be copied or reprinted or something. So we are just waiting. I knew they were “of a certain age” so I asked “What were you doing 50 years ago?” MRS told me of being a Red Cross volunteer as a high school student. MR says “I sat out WWII.” That was about the last thing I expected to hear. MRS slapped his arm and says to me, “Sat it out in a Japanese POW Camp. He was on Bataan.” Heros, both of them.