PDA

View Full Version : NG to AD board at Bragg

CasperMike
12-06-2008, 13:10
After much time, I finally am moving from NG SF to AD. Before I get my group assignment, I have to attend a "Prior service to active component proficiency board". No one that I have talked to can give me the full scoop, and was wondering how long it is, what's involved, and what to bring.
Anyone done it or heard of a buddy that's done it?

18C4V
12-06-2008, 17:15
http://www.soc.mil/sofinfo/priorsvc.html

You'll need an AKO account to log on. As for you second question, ask or PM Abnremf, he did that process from NG to AD a few years ago. You may even know him, he used to be AGR and he ran the REC at 5/19th.

CasperMike
12-06-2008, 18:02
Good info--appreciate the link. I went to site before, but I guess I didn't word the search correctly.
I pretty much expected the typical PT and ruck, just trying to get all the info possible.
I'm assuming it is like a standard board, done in Class A's, etc...

Mountain25
02-13-2009, 10:52
I am NG SF and currently mobilized with and attached to an active group. I ETS over here and am going to try and stay with the group I am currently attached to. I am going to work the issue through the active duty unit I am attached too. It's hard to belive I would have to come off active duty, de-mob, then enlist active duty, and then go to a board to see if I am fit to be with the unit that I just went to combat with, lol. I dunno that seems pretty inefficient to me, Oh well it wouldn't surprise me, it is the Army.

exsquid
02-13-2009, 20:06
You should do the ascencion board prior to deMOBing.

x/S

CasperMike
03-12-2009, 14:33
Definately do it while still on active orders--its much easier! I tried to do that route, but the ball was dropped in many arenas, hence why I had to do the MEPS route and Bragg board. I was at Bragg for over two months, but finally done and assigned.

TOMAHAWK9521
03-12-2009, 15:22
Definately do it while still on active orders--its much easier! I tried to do that route, but the ball was dropped in many arenas, hence why I had to do the MEPS route and Bragg board. I was at Bragg for over two months, but finally done and assigned.

Yeah! And it's about damn time, too, Casper! :D

HardRoad
03-13-2009, 10:53
I am NG SF and currently mobilized with and attached to an active group. I ETS over here and am going to try and stay with the group I am currently attached to. I am going to work the issue through the active duty unit I am attached too. It's hard to belive I would have to come off active duty, de-mob, then enlist active duty, and then go to a board to see if I am fit to be with the unit that I just went to combat with, lol. I dunno that seems pretty inefficient to me, Oh well it wouldn't surprise me, it is the Army.

The accession board has generated a lot of hard feelings in the NG (at least in my little part of it.) The message it delivers to an NG SF soldier is that USASFC thinks that "you're good enough to go man a team house in Afghanistan or Iraq without cert /val, because we need to ease the AD rotation schedule, but if you want to hang out with us back at Bragg, you'll have to pass some extra tests."

I know of several SF troops who decided not to go AD because of that - not because they didn't think they could make it past the board, but because they didn't like the idea that they had to step off the plane from Afghanistan after a seven month tour on an A-team, and go get screened to see if they were good enough to be on an A-team.

18C4V
03-13-2009, 12:26
The accession board has generated a lot of hard feelings in the NG (at least in my little part of it.) The message it delivers to an NG SF soldier is that USASFC thinks that "you're good enough to go man a team house in Afghanistan or Iraq without cert /val, because we need to ease the AD rotation schedule, but if you want to hang out with us back at Bragg, you'll have to pass some extra tests."

I know of several SF troops who decided not to go AD because of that - not because they didn't think they could make it past the board, but because they didn't like the idea that they had to step off the plane from Afghanistan after a seven month tour on an A-team, and go get screened to see if they were good enough to be on an A-team.

Yes,
My buddy felt that way when he went AD to 1st Group. He did a tour in OEF with us. 1st Group asked our group for volunteers and our company gave up 4 guys and deployed with 1st Group ODA's to OIF. He wanted to go AD to 1st Group during his tour and had exactly the same scenerio you painted. The only difference was that he stuck it out and later on went to 1st Group.

Now, the trend is guys to do the long walk, and we had two guys make it and just got put on orders only for one year. The one year order is odd to me.

CasperMike
03-13-2009, 13:29
I felt the same way, but it was 'a means to an end', I guess. I think the process is a little dated; maybe originally designed to filter out the close-to-mandatory-retirement guys who wanted to have one last hurrah. I was told that if you do the transition while still on active orders, and you want to stay with the active group you were with, it's just a 4187 and no assesstion.
I was at Bragg with 2 guys who did the long walk, also just fresh from a rotation, and they still had to do the same thing I did. I guess my point is I agree, I can see how some may be insulted, but I guess it's just one of those big Army ass-pains.