PDA

View Full Version : Spyderco Tenacious

Christophe
12-04-2008, 14:35
Gentlemen,
I read an article on a Chinese-made Spyderco, the Tenacious.
What amazes me is its low price (under 50 Euros) which seems cheap compared to other Spydercos.
Has anyone here handled / used this knife? How does it hold up as an edc ?
Since it is a brand that is widely used , and the fact it is so cheap it won´t burn a hole in my wallet I am thinking of getting this knife (for edc and Leo patrol use).
I used the search function but nothing came up so I´d be really gratefull for some opinions.
Thank you.

Defender968
12-04-2008, 19:23
I don't have any experience with that particular model but I carried a spyderco on duty as an LEO for a several years before I sprung for an auto. Overall they make good knives for the money and you won't be too upset if you lose it in a foot chase. The serrated blades cut seatbelts well, which was one of my primary concerns. Overall for the money I think it's a good blade considering your usage, one downside of the serrated blades is finding someone to sharpen it can be a chore, but for the money they're almost disposable. I would still prefer a good auto with a large button as a backup weapon in case I'm fighting on the ground trying to protect my primary weapon. The spyderco ergonomics are good as a one hand opener with a little practice, but you'll need to practice with it a bit to get it into muscle memory as with anything. I never had to use mine under those circumstances thankfully, but I always carried on my left side specifically for that purpose.

Hope this helps

Bill Harsey
12-04-2008, 20:12
The serrated blades cut seatbelts well, which was one of my primary concerns. Overall for the money I think it's a good blade considering your usage, one downside of the serrated blades is finding someone to sharpen it can be a chore...

Read the sharpening thread here, it's a sticky at the top of the edged weapon area.

Defender968
12-04-2008, 21:52
Read the sharpening thread here, it's a sticky at the top of the edged weapon area.

Thanks Mr. Harsey, I guess I've always been a bit afraid of even trying to sharpen my serrated blades, I've got a couple of dull spydercos laying around (couldn't find anyone to sharpen them), I'll have to pick up one of those sharpeners and give it a try.

Christophe
12-05-2008, 03:28
Defender968,
thanks for the info ! Regarding autos; they are outlawed here, even for us. :(
Regarding the knife sharpening thread; thanks Mr.Harsey, I gotta go look and learn over there. I have a Gerber diamond knife sharpener. I make my knives duller instead of sharper. :eek: I still have to learn a lot on that topic it seems.

JSE
12-05-2008, 06:42
Gentlemen,
I read an article on a Chinese-made Spyderco...

I've had two Spyderco's and they're both marked Seki-City, Japan. Guess they're out-sourcing now, too. :rolleyes: But otherwise, they've treated me well.

modgod
12-05-2008, 22:42
I've had two Spyderco's and they're both marked Seki-City, Japan. Guess they're out-sourcing now, too. :rolleyes: But otherwise, they've treated me well.

Wouldn't quite be so sure, from what I understand, there's a Spyderco plant here in Denver, CO. Have a few friends that work there. They can't disclose everything, but they can say that a metric assload of knives are manufactured there everyday. I can't speak for every product they sell (they're practically a franchise now), but their better namesakes are US made. I even recall making fixtures for them that were shipped to US locations about 4 years ago.

Bill Harsey
12-08-2008, 09:56

Spyderco has had knives made in Seki, Japan for a very long time so your modern knife manufacturing history isn't quite up to speed.

I do not speak for Sal Glesser or Spyderco but have a lot of respect for what they have done for the knife industry by making several significant contributions which many now take for granted.

Does anyone know what the city of Seki is famous for?

Anyone know what the "firsts" are that Spyderco brought to folding knives?

CPTAUSRET
12-08-2008, 10:02
"Does anyone know what the city of Seki is famous for?"

Sword making?

Bill Harsey
12-08-2008, 10:05
"Does anyone know what the city of Seki is famous for?"

Sword making?

Yes, and the next question is how long ago did they start this?

CPTAUSRET
12-08-2008, 10:14
Yes, and the next question is how long ago did they start this?

W/out referring to Google, I would say it probably started during the days of the Samurai. So, awhile!

We are lucky enough to visit Japan 2-3 times per year.

Bill Harsey
12-19-2008, 14:24
Someone want to try answering the knife quiz question of what the Spyderco firsts are in folding knives before "Spyderco" shows up? :D

Roguish Lawyer
12-19-2008, 14:49
Someone want to try answering the knife quiz question of what the Spyderco firsts are in folding knives before "Spyderco" shows up? :D

One-hand opening
Serrations on a folder
Clip

:munchin

ZonieDiver
12-19-2008, 14:49

One-handed opening on a folder? I remember the first Mariner I saw...

Ambush Master
12-19-2008, 17:30

AND...........Who has a Knife on display at the Japanese National Knife Museum, Seki??

Bill Harsey
12-19-2008, 21:06
AND...........Who has a Knife on display at the Japanese National Knife Museum, Seki??

That would be me and that would also be several knives...
...but I don't want to be wrong about any history concerning Spyderco now that they have strong ( and that's great news) representation here.

Bill Harsey
12-19-2008, 21:08
One-hand opening
Serrations on a folder
Clip

:munchin

RL,
You have the first three I know of... good job, now the Team Sergeant will buy you beer!!!:D

TazKristi
12-19-2008, 23:56
Hopefully I can provide a little bit of info about us and the Tenacious. Sorry for the lengthy post, we're big on sharing.

Spyderco’s earliest models were manufactured in Japan; our knives have been manufactured there longer than we've been manufacturing here in the U.S.

The Tenacious is the first and only Round holed Spyderco made in China. We hadn’t planned on making any Spyderco’s in China. The byrd knife line was created and developed to fill the need in the low cost market. A Chinese Spyderco was something that we had hoped to avoid, but circumstances forced the issue. There were many reasons for the decision; those include another knife company making “round hole” models in China, now we must compete against our own “look” at much lower prices. As Sal says, looking like Spyderco is popular these days. The Tenacious and our byrd line can compete in the Big Box chain store world, where knives are purchased based on price. Our goal is that the byrd line, and now Tenacious, will introduce a new level of quality into that market while also giving us an influx of income to invest back into our U.S. Manufacturing, allowing us to continue development of other things like new models (our automatics are the best example of this).

modgod, our headquarters and U.S. Factory is in Golden, just West of Denver. It’s our only location. Can’t say that we manufacture “a metric ass load” of knives every day, but I can say we have an incredibly hard working crew. We’re a relatively small company, there are just 37 of us (that includes Sal and his wife Gail). We do business in 55 countries around the world, so we have the presence of a much larger company. The reality is that we’re just a wickedly busy crew that works well together.

Hope this helps.

And yes, the three are:
First one-hand opening mechanism, our Trademark hole
First to serrate a folding pocket knife, our SpyderEdge
First to put a pocket clip on a folder

Bill, you do an awesome job. I’m happy to be here and help if I can.

Kristi

Team Sergeant
12-20-2008, 09:27
And yes, the three are:
First one-hand opening mechanism, our Trademark hole
First to serrate a folding pocket knife, our SpyderEdge
First to put a pocket clip on a folder

Bill, you do an awesome job. I’m happy to be here and help if I can.

Kristi

No there's four, first to market a "pocket knife" that can be used as a fighting knife if needed. That one handed opening hole along with the speed of access (due to the clip) made it ideal for a secondary no nonsense fighting knife.;)

Somewhere in a cardboard box stashed back in a closet I probably have the first Spyderco I ever purchased. It got a lot of use over the years.

Welcome aboard Kristi.;)

Team Sergeant