PDA

View Full Version : Marksmanship Question

RHW
11-30-2008, 10:40
I have introduced my wife to pistol shooting. She has been doing very well. However she has a unique problem, which I am having difficulty in addressing, she is right hand strong but left eye dominant.

My intent is for her to put round exactly where she wants them, obviously. So I really do not want to force left handed shooting or changing dominate eye, I want her to be comforatable, so I can move onto reactionary drills, but i need to get her basics down first.

Does anyone have any modified stances, sight alingment, or tricks which covers this dileama? Or advice?

Thanks all.

HOLLiS
11-30-2008, 13:14
Have you looked into training the rt eye? Other solution is to learn to shoot off hand (left handed in this case).

There may be some other posts on this issue, training your eye. I am trying to remember.

I use to be be very dominate right eye. Training my left eye has helped me to shoot with either hand and either eye.

H.

frostfire
11-30-2008, 14:05
I have introduced my wife to pistol shooting. She has been doing very well. However she has a unique problem, which I am having difficulty in addressing, she is right hand strong but left eye dominant.

My intent is for her to put round exactly where she wants them, obviously. So I really do not want to force left handed shooting or changing dominate eye, I want her to be comforatable, so I can move onto reactionary drills, but i need to get her basics down first.

Does anyone have any modified stances, sight alingment, or tricks which covers this dileama? Or advice?

Thanks all.

You got it right in not forcing her. However, unless she's done activities that requires her right index finger to be relax and the lower three to grip well, conditioning the left hand to do the job should not be detrimental. What I'm saying is unless she has shot rifle/shotgun/pistols etc. with her right hand for quite some time, starting off fresh with the left hand should not present much of an issue (until choosing holster & drawing of course).

I gave new shooter tutorial to a friend's mother-in-law few days ago. She's right handed, but at her age her left eye sees better. After a quick overview of the basics, her 7-yards group can be covered by 1/2 one dollar bill. No problem conditioning the left index finger for smooth-straight-to-the-rear trigger pull with two-handed grip modified isosceles.

Just MHOO. If it works, it works. If not, drop it like bad habit.

On the other hand, Gene Econ Sir (one of the marksmanship masters here) would tell you that eye-dominance is conditioned and can be readily changed.

The Reaper
11-30-2008, 17:30
The Search button is your friend.

Try "eye dominance", let me know what you find.

TR