PDA

View Full Version : Terror attacks in Mumbai target Westerners

hoepoe
11-26-2008, 14:09
A short while ago, but for those that haven't heard, tune in to the news.

From CNN

"Several people have been killed in a series of coordinated attacks targeting sites popular with tourists and business people, according to police and CNN's sister network in India."

Stay safe

H

Christophe
11-26-2008, 14:45
I am watching this on BBC World. They say the terrorists specifically target US and British passport holders. Hostages are taken at two big hotels.
Current toll: 80 killed and 250 wounded.

:(

Christophe
11-26-2008, 14:49
Latest update: 9 sites were under attack, 2 are still going on.
Hope those responsible are caught.
RIP to the victims.

Pete
11-26-2008, 16:14
Deccan Mujahideen wants to take credit for this one.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D94MS5K80&show_article=1

The Reaper
11-26-2008, 16:16
Looks like more peace-loving Muslims.

"Religion of peace"?

I don't think so.

TR

greg700
11-26-2008, 17:00
Deccan Mujahideen wants to take credit for this one.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D94MS5K80&show_article=1

I would have bet money this was Lashkar-E Tayiba.

Tuukka
11-26-2008, 17:10
Looks like more peace-loving Muslims.

"Religion of peace"?

I don't think so.

TR

Not necessarily talking about India, but wow long will it take for certain countries to fully crack down on terror.

How much can we look forward to, when political and religious leaders condemn terrorist acts in public, but on the other hand might sympathize the actions or even support them.

Countries in which proper education, womens rights etc. are disregarded and the people who do not know of any better, can easily be brainwashed into believing that all westeners are Infidels.

I have no issues with anyone's race, creed or religion, but it is damn hard to have hopeful feelings towards certain corners of the world when you get this s*it frequently.

I am sick and tired of this BS.

JSE
11-26-2008, 17:25
I don't care what anybody says: the fight against global terrorism is a World War.

Puertoland
11-26-2008, 17:31
Small update: Two terrorists shot dead in a gun fight between military and police forces.

ACE844
11-27-2008, 08:24
The news services in the states and abroad are reporting that things have escalated. It's my sincere hope that any of our warriors who maybe in that AO return home safely and uninjured to their families.

nmap
11-27-2008, 08:31
Not necessarily talking about India, but wow long will it take for certain countries to fully crack down on terror.

But how?

A concerted effort to revise fundamental cultural elements among a billion or so people? Generational warfare? And - are we ready for the cost in treasure and blood?

Please understand that I am not in disagreement with your position. Nor am I finding fault with any of the current efforts. But I do wonder if we have the collective will to pursue what seems to be a long and difficult path.

nmap
11-27-2008, 08:50
Here's a piece from Stratfor. They suggest that India, along with the U.S., will apply considerable pressure to Pakistan. And this could destabilize Pakistan.

LINK (http://www.stratfor.com/analysis/20081126_red_alert)

Constant
11-27-2008, 09:30
Just curious if anyone in the Army had to do a recall/accountability for themselves and DEERs dependants? HQ Air Force directed accountability to be done to make sure none of our folks were in the affected area.

Christophe
11-27-2008, 11:06
Just wondering, since there are hostages taken; does Indian police or military have a hostage rescue capability?

SF_BHT
11-27-2008, 11:19
Just wondering, since there are hostages taken; does Indian police or military have a hostage rescue capability?

Yes they do. Here is a report on who is doing the most of the current opns there..
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article5246197.ece

Christophe
11-27-2008, 11:41
Thanks for the info Bryan.

Guy
11-27-2008, 20:39

Yes they do. Here is a report on who is doing the most of the current opns there..
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article5246197.ece

Courtesy of the United States SOFs!:lifter

:cool:

Stay safe.

Pete
11-28-2008, 07:38
I would have bet money this was Lashkar-E Tayiba.

God call greg, LeT had at least some fingers in the pie.

http://www.rediff.com/news/2008/nov/28mumterror-arrested-fidayeen-reveal-terror-route.htm

The Reaper
11-28-2008, 08:35

Sure, here is one of them using a discriminating firing technique.

No wonder hostages were lost.:rolleyes:

TR

Guy
11-28-2008, 10:22

TRIf you had seen/heard how many times we screamed...."LOOK AT THE DAMN FRONT SIGHTS!!!!!" Or "I.D. YOUR DAMN TARGETS!"

Stay safe.

Pete
11-28-2008, 12:47
Looks like some of the scum came from the same neighborhoods as the 7/7 Bombers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1089711/Massacre-Mumbai-Up-SEVEN-gunmen-British-came-area-7-7-bombers.html

nmap
11-28-2008, 13:02
The UK seems even more dedicated to political correctness than does the U.S.

I wonder - will the West awaken? Or will we slumber until our demise?

And since several of the terrorists were British Born Pakistanis, I cannot help but wonder if we have not already developed a fifth column within our respective nations.

Detonics
11-29-2008, 23:22
I wonder whether this "success" in staging simultaneous actions will drive timetables for actions in other locale's forward.

Sigaba
11-29-2008, 23:37
I cannot help but wonder if we have not already developed a fifth column within our respective nations.

I wonder to what extent the U.S. is benefiting from silent partners who could not openly support GWOT for fear of their own Muslim populations.

Pete
12-04-2008, 15:06
Breaking - Shooting at New Delhi Airport - 6 involved - cops got 'um.

Link

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D94S454G0&show_article=1

Update - false first report

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=081204211438.1u070r8q&show_article=1

Christophe
12-04-2008, 15:52

TR

OMG! :eek:
If I would ever be caught doing that otj my plt. chief would beat the 'you know what out' of me, and Iīd be out of a job (and appear in court probably too).
What is wrong with such people?:mad:

Richard
12-04-2008, 20:49
Here's half the problem in Mumbai. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Christophe
12-05-2008, 03:37
Here's half the problem in Mumbai. ;)

roflmao! :D

Ret10Echo
12-08-2008, 07:54
Pakistani Official: Terror Mastermind Caught
Monday, December 08, 2008

A Pakistani government official says security forces have arrested a man alleged by India to be one of the masterminds of the Mumbai attacks.

The official said Monday that Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi was among at least 12 people detained after a raid Sunday on a camp run by the banned militant group Laskhar-e-Taiba in Pakistan's part of Kashmir.

He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

Indian officials say the sole Mumbai attacker captured alive has told them that Lakhvi recruited him for the mission and that Lakhvi and another militant, Yusuf Muzammil, were its masterminds.

Richard
12-08-2008, 15:22
What Did Kashmir Have to Do with the Mumbai Attacks?
Jyoti Thottam, Time
7 Dec 2008

Two suspected militants were killed by Indian authorities Friday night after trying to cross the border into Kashmir near the village of Dardpura. Two AK-47s were recovered from them, along with ammunition. That encounter, police say, is part of a slight increase in infiltration by militants from Pakistan over the last few months.

That development added to the growing evidence of both infiltration from Pakistan and local Indian collusion in the siege of Mumbai. Early on Saturday, Indian authorities revealed that two men had been arrested for illegally providing SIM cards to the attackers; one of them is believed to be a police officer from the Indian-occupied half of the disputed region of Kashmir, who reportedly had contact with members of Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), the group who are under suspicion for orchestrating the Mumbai attacks. It is the first evidence so far that the attackers had help within India.

The LeT, a group that is believed to have its organizational roots in Pakistan, has been active in Kashmir for more than a decade, sending in fighters from Pakistan and sometimes recruiting local Kashmiris. The LeT is one of many militant groups that have agitated here, often violently, against India. Indeed, India and Pakistan have fought two wars over the disputed territory of Kashmir; and just as the Mumbai massacre was at its peak, a threatening Nov. 28 hoax phone call, purportedly from the Indian foreign ministry, to Pakistani President Asif Zardari convinced Islamabad to move several of its troops toward the Indian frontier for fear of an attack from New Delhi. Meanwhile, one of the Mumbai attackers mentioned Kashmir in a rambling interview with the India TV news channel during the siege — "Are you aware how many people have been killed in Kashmir?" he asked — immediately raising the specter of a link between militants in Kashmir and those in Mumbai.

Despite the news, there seems to be a consensus within Kashmir — among government and intelligence officials, separatist leaders, local civil society groups and experienced observers of the Kashmir conflict — that there is no direct link between militants active in Kashmir and the ones who planned and executed the brutal Mumbai attacks. "It's like al-Qaeda talking about the Palestinian issue," says one longtime analyst of Kashmiri politics. "It's just a cover." And some local activists fear the Mumbai terrorists may have hurt the cause of Kashmiri independence. Says one: "People are not happy about having Kashmir being dragged into this."

The fearsome technique used in Mumbai — a combination of machine-gun-firing and grenade-throwing — is familiar in Kashmir, and known here as a "fidayeen" attack. But Kashmiri journalists and political activists note that militants here typically target symbols of the Indian state, not public places. The city of Srinagar, a hill station that was once a magnet for tourists escaping India's summer heat, is blotted with blackened government buildings burned out in fidayeen attacks.

While the tactics may have been perfected here, Ashok Bhan, director of police intelligence in Kashmir, says he does not think there were any operational links between Mumbai and Kashmir. "Big operations like this would not be planned in India," he says. That doesn't mean LeT has disappeared from the area. There have been at least 35 suspected terrorists who have crossed the border from Pakistan over the last few months — and about as many who have been killed by Indian troops, Bhan says, but he says he has seen no evidence of any unusual activity. The increase, he says, is connected to the state elections under way in Kashmir. Many separatist groups have called for boycotts of the elections, and militant groups, authorities say, have been trying to cross into Kashmir to disrupt the polling, which is conducted in five stages. The fourth one is scheduled for Sunday, Dec. 7.

Still, there is little that's known for certain about the Mumbai attacks, and authorities in Kashmir have not ruled out any possibilities. The unusual nature of the attack — fidayeen tactics but without a clear ideology — and its logistical sophistication suggest that more than one group may have been involved. Sudhir Bloeria, a senior advisor to the governor of the state, says that while the Kashmir militancy may be on the wane, the Mumbai attacks have prompted officials in the state to look more closely at the connections among the various groups operating in the area, including LeT. "Mumbai adds a new dimension to the problems we have," he says. "It gives a little more sense of urgency."

Richard
12-08-2008, 15:59
Pakistani Official: Terror Mastermind Caught
Monday, December 08, 2008

The official said Monday that Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi was among at least 12 people detained after a raid Sunday on a camp run by the banned militant group Laskhar-e-Taiba in Pakistan's part of Kashmir.

But the same official later said that even though about a dozen people had been arrested in the raid at the camp, the suspect, Zaki ur-Rehman Lakhvi, had not been arrested.

Pakistan Raids Group Linked to Attacks
JANE PERLEZ and SALMAN MASOOD, NYT
8 Dec 2008

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — The authorities in Pakistan have raided a camp run by the Pakistani-based militant group suspected by Indian and American officials of conducting the Mumbai attacks, a Pakistani official and an American military official said.

In the first hours after news of the raid emerged on Pakistani television and in news agencies, a senior Pakistani security official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said that a man suspected of being the mastermind of the Mumbai attacks had been arrested. But the same official later said that even though about a dozen people had been arrested in the raid at the camp, the suspect, Zaki ur-Rehman Lakhvi, had not been arrested.

The Pakistani military acknowledged that the raid had taken place, saying in a statement that an operation was under way against a “banned” militant organization, and that there had been a number of arrests. The operation appeared to be Pakistan’s first concrete response to demands by India and the United States that it take action against the militants suspected of orchestrating the Mumbai attacks.

Mr. Lakhvi has been accused by India of being in control of the attackers in Mumbai as they terrorized the city during a three-day siege last month in which 163 people were killed.

Indian and Western investigators said he commanded the attack and then kept in communication with the gunmen by mobile and satellite phone as they rounded up guests in two hotels, killing some of them.

Mr. Lakhvi is an operational leader of Lashkar-e-Taiba, a Pakistani militant group that long focused on the disputed territory of Kashmir.

A spokesman for Lashkar-e-Taiba said Monday that Pakistani security forces had launched a crackdown on his group in Muzaffarabad, the capital of Pakistani-administered Kashmir, but did not say anything specific about who or how many people had been detained.

“Pakistani troops have unleashed the attack under pressure from India and the United States,” the spokesman, Abdullah Gaznabi, said by phone from an undisclosed location. “We have already made it clear that the Lashkar has nothing to do with the recent attacks in Mumbai and by constantly trying to drag our organization’s name into these is nothing but to malign it."

He also cautioned the Pakistani government against sacrificing the Kashmir cause under pressure from abroad. “Being Kashmiris, it is our right to use any part of the territory of Jammu and Kashmir for our just freedom struggle,” he said.

The Pakistani government on Monday issued a statement saying it wanted to be part of a joint investigation into the Mumbai assault with India, a suggestion the Pakistanis made last week.

The Pakistani authorities offered to send a “high level” delegation to India to join such an investigation, the foreign secretary, Salman Bashir, said.

The offer to dispatch the delegation came after a meeting Monday of the Defense Council of the Cabinet, a civilian body that includes the army chief of staff, Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani. The council is a longstanding body that had not been used during the rule of the former president, Pervez Musharraf. But it convened after the National Security Council, a military body, was abolished last week by the country’s new civilian government.

And so it goes...