PDA

View Full Version : Intimidation

anythingrandom
11-25-2008, 10:55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cle20lQg0Qs&feature=related

This is the New Zealand rugby team the All Blacks performing the Haka, a Maori dance, before their game. They usually save this dance for international competitions. They have additional dances that complement this one, as well.

Interesting note - they don't always win when they perform this, but the only teams that have refused to come face them down while they dance have lost their matches.

Scimitar
11-25-2008, 13:43
Traditionally the native people of New Zealand (the Maori) used this 'dance' before battle to intimidate their enemies and prepare themselves physiologically for the coming conflict.

Here’s a great Haka
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83U_Vg1GRvA

These days it is also often used when two iwi (tribes) meet peacefully in a formal situation and can also be used as a sign of respect.

i.e.
Cpl Willie Apiata (1-NZSAS) was greeted by a Haka when he returned home to his own Iwi after receiving the New Zealand Victoria Cross (similar to CMoH) for valor in Afghanistan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBHXfytFRMg
(Watch from 3:01 onwards for greeting Haka)

Done well and preformed well it can truly be intimidating and IMHO is an excellent warrior tool. Most New Zealand military units have their own Haka's and it is 'performed' during base change-over & CO change-over ceremonies etc.

To my point…

I have some ‘Maori Ruanuku’ (Maori Elder) contacts from my Rugby days that a while back after hearing of my US Army aspirations offered to develop a simple Haka perhaps using the words from the US Army's "Soldier's Creed" or something similar.

This would all be unofficial of course but I would be interested on everyone’s thoughts on weather such a ‘tool’ would ever be used by a US Army unit. i.e. warrior performance at Infantry Basic graduation or similar events. Maybe it would catch on like the Unit Coin did? :D

I can just see each SF Company with it’s own Haka…ok…maybe not :D, but still would be interested on weather anyone thinks I should take my Maori friends up on this offer and weather anyone would like to help with its development, word choices etc.

What would you think if you where in the crowd at an Infantry Basic Graduation and something like this were performed by 300 new soldiers? Obviously explained to the crowd first?

Scimitar

Five-O
11-25-2008, 14:54
I have seen a platoon of Fijian infantry perform the Haka/Cibi twice...once before a rugby game and once during a change of command ceremony. It is an amazing and yes very intimidating thing to watch ( to a man the hair on our necks was raised) and IMO an amazing part of NZ and South Pacific culture. I think it's best left as an incredible part of the South Pacific culture. American's would only screw it up....:rolleyes:

The "cava" after the cermony was another story entirely.....WOW

anythingrandom
11-25-2008, 16:52
I was talking to a friend earlier about how primal a response the videos were able to invoke in me. I would love to see a life performance. Then we digressed into the science of instinctual responses to male displays...blah blah blah...but yes I'd wager that the raised hairs on your necks were universal, and are the intended results of the dance.

I've been watching and reading up on the dances and tribes. Very interesting stuff. I just liked that video in particular and chose it to share.

Roguish Lawyer
11-25-2008, 18:00
What a bunch of fags

Scimitar
11-25-2008, 19:04
What a bunch of fags

Not taking the bait Counselor :p :D

Seriously I thought it might be a great idea having a Haka performed well at an 11X OSUT Graduation.

But my wife tells me that it might just confuse the hell out of the American audience. :D

Also I imagine its pretty unlikely that the DS would even let it happen. Perhaps a little outside the box?

S

Roguish Lawyer
11-26-2008, 12:06

Seriously I thought it might be a great idea having a Haka performed well at an 11X OSUT Graduation.

Seriously I think those guys are a bunch of fags

The Reaper
11-26-2008, 12:15

But my wife tells me that it might just confuse the hell out of the American audience. :D

Also I imagine its pretty unlikely that the DS would even let it happen. Perhaps a little outside the box?

S

Sounds like a Kiwi thing to me as well, and not our culture.

IIRC, the Samoans and Tongans do something similar.

I recommend that you prepare a list of hlepdful ideas and suggestions for your drill sergeant, and counsel him about it regularly. Never too soon to start, you should probably see him about it right when you get off the bus.

TR

Richard
11-26-2008, 12:34
The #1 ranked HS football team in the Southwest (current 12-0 record) and #2 ranked nationally is the Euless Trinity HS team here in the Metroplex which, because of their many Tongan players, is nationally known for their pre-game Haka ritual.

http://www.dfw.com/158/story/46066.html

I also worked with the NZSAS and they had a number of Maoris who taught us tracking. Some tough guys and tough looking when they wore their native costumes; I never considered calling them fags. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

SF-TX
11-26-2008, 22:02
Who won the game?