PDA

View Full Version : Warrior for children in need

Team Sergeant
11-23-2008, 09:53
Well Done LTC Martin!!!!!!
(You should have been in uniform for the picture....;))
Team Sergeant

Sunday Profile /Lt. Col. JosephMartin
Warrior for children in need
By Louise Continelli
NEWS STAFF REPORTER

Sometimes they’re called “Snake Eaters” or “Green Berets.” Army Lt. Col. Joseph Martin also calls these members of the Special Forces “warriors.”

“We are the force of choice for difficult missions that require rapid solutions in sensitive environments,” said Martin, a Canisius College graduate.

Through the proceeds from his “Get Selected for Special Forces” guide, Martin raised $100,000 for college scholarships and education counseling for children of Special Operations personnel killed in training or combat operations.

Martin, named this year’s Special Operations Warrior Foundation Volunteer of the Year, has served as a Special Forces detachment commander with the 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne). He’s participated in Special Forces and counter narcotics training missions in Honduras, Ecuador and Colombia.

Making yourself Special Forcesworthy is his mission. About one out of three enlisted soldiers who go through the Special Forces assessment and selection process are chosen to continue training for Special Forces.

Martin, with the help of Master Sgt. Rex Dodson, takes Special Forces applicants “through the process and shows you the things you can do to set you up for success.”

Though geared to the military, his manual offers much for the civilian who wants to craft a bulletproof vest in case of a national emergency.

For instance, Martin advises becoming a volunteer for a Boy Scout troop, and take advantage of “classes on map reading and orienteering. The fundamentals are sound and will help you learn the military method quicker.”

Want to get in warrior shape? Start doing push-ups “everyday before you run,” Martin suggests. “Add the weight room to your workout routine, two to three times per week.”

Eat “healthy fat — olive oil, avocados, almonds” — and avoid processed sugar, said Martin, a 1987 graduate of Maryvale High School.

At Canisius, Martin, a business management graduate, was commissioned as a distinguished graduate of the ROTC program. He’s also a graduate of the Army Ranger School, the Special Forces qualification course and the Command and General Staff College.

Martin met his wife, Maj. Alison Martin, an Army judge advocate general officer, at Fort Bliss.

Martin acknowledges his wife and daughter “who put up with the late hours, long deployments, crazy ideas and love me anyway.”

Currently, Martin is a military congressional fellow, serving with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid. He’ll be advising and assisting Reid on defense policies, authorizations and appropriations.

Now, about those snakes. Yes, Martin concedes, some “Special Forces soldiers do eat snakes on occasion.” In fact, he includes a picture of one “narrow fellow,” an anaconda “caught outside our team barracks.”.

Have an idea about a local person whose life would make a good profile or a neighborhood issue worth exploring?

e-mail: lcontinelli@buffnews.com or write to: Louise Continelli, Sunday Profile, The Buffalo News, P. O. Box 100, Buffalo, NY 14240.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/buffaloerie/story/502377.html

JJ_BPK
11-23-2008, 10:10
Fantastic Lt Col Martin,,

Job Well Done...

:lifter:D:lifter:D

Go Devil
11-23-2008, 10:27
Very Good Sir!

SF_BHT
11-23-2008, 10:28
Well done and keep up the effort!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greenberetTFS
11-23-2008, 10:33
Great job LTC Martin :D

Warrior-Mentor
11-23-2008, 12:05
Well Done LTC Martin!!!!!!
(You should have been in uniform for the picture....;))
Team Sergeant

Sunday Profile /Lt. Col. Joseph Martin
Warrior for children in need
By Louise Continelli
NEWS STAFF REPORTER

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/buffaloerie/story/502377.html

Thanks TS. Holy cow...how'd you find that so fast?

Guessing you're leveraging Google News Alerts....

nmap
11-23-2008, 12:29
I'm not sure how someone with my particular ... umm ... attributes ... will make use of the information, but I just ordered a copy of the book from a source listed on Amazon. I notice the source had a 100% rating. :)

Truly, an inspirational story.

thomps2100
11-23-2008, 13:16
Very good work sir! Keep it up and thank you for your service!:lifter

ZonieDiver
11-23-2008, 13:16
Congrats, LTC Martin! Your dietary information is great! Olive oil is the secret to great life!

Maryvale High School in '87??? Is that MHS in Phoenix, AZ?? I have I found another Panther on this site?

Gypsy
11-23-2008, 16:35
Well done, Sir...congrats!

Team Sergeant
11-23-2008, 18:00
Thanks TS. Holy cow...how'd you find that so fast?

Guessing you're leveraging Google News Alerts....

It's the same way I find out about all Special Forces "news".;)

12B4S
11-23-2008, 23:53
Fantastic work LTC. oh and as I have been away from here for some time, due to moves, cranky computers and such.... Congratulations on your promotion.

Surgicalcric
11-24-2008, 07:12
Well done Sir.

Crip

Slantwire
11-24-2008, 09:10
Congratulations, sir!

Rogue
11-24-2008, 09:28
Well done Sir!
Congrats

Razor
11-24-2008, 12:25
Congrats, and...

Currently, Martin is a military congressional fellow, serving with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

...you have my sincere condolences. ;)

Warrior-Mentor
11-24-2008, 12:31
I'm not sure how someone with my particular ... umm ... attributes ... will make use of the information, but I just ordered a copy of the book from a source listed on Amazon. I notice the source had a 100% rating. :)

Truly, an inspirational story.

Thanks. Appreciate the help. I always recommend people get the book direct from the Foundation at their website (www.specialops.org)...it helps you save cash and hands the sales direct to the Warrior Foundation...

If you're on post, it's best to get it through Clothing Sales (some PXs carry them too)...as it saves you shipping, handling & the sales tax.

Warrior-Mentor
11-24-2008, 12:38
Congrats, and...

...you have my sincere condolences. ;)

Army gave me a mission..."Get hired by the Majority Leader."

Next target... providing my best APOLITICAL military advice.

I will be largely working state military issues (authorizations, appropriations, etc). If the Senate Majority Leader needs military advice, he'd call Carl Levin or Secretary Gates before he'd call me. I'm there to learn the process and help provide advice & experience along the way. Will be a great learning experience.

JJ_BPK
11-24-2008, 13:41
I will be largely working state military issues (authorizations, appropriations, etc). If the Senate Majority Leader needs military advice, he'd call Carl Levin or Secretary Gates before he'd call me. I'm there to learn the process and help provide advice & experience along the way. Will be a great learning experience.

Colonel,,

Do you have anything planned for 2012???

Never to early to start...

CoLawman
11-24-2008, 19:35
Congratulations on both counts. Reid is an idiot but at least it is comforting that there is a reasoned and capable voice within shouting distance of him. Go get him sir!