PDA

View Full Version : RPD or RPK

KENCITO18D794
11-19-2008, 21:55
Weapons Guys,

To round out my small unit tactics arsenal, I have decided I need some form of a squad automatic weapon. The RPK is appealing, due to the fact I can use AK mags. However, I'm not sold on the durability an over glorified AK.

The RPD on the other hand, was the 1st SAW designed by the WARSAW PACT countries to fullfil that role. SARCO is offering parts kits, and I have tracked down a company that makes recievers. Money is not an object.

Give me some feedback?????

Kencito

optactical
11-19-2008, 22:44
You have to load the belts on an RPD, an RPK can run off of AK mags, drums etc and I'm not sure whether you are eluding to the Kalshnikov operating system as being shit, but it is one of the most reliable in the world.

I am a huge fan of the RPD but for nostalgia purposes only, given a choice on a battlefield where there are other AKs, I'll take the RPK and few of my own 70 rd drums. Once you are out of ammo on the RPD, you are jamming links, or just looking for some other guy who had one, which nowadays is pretty unlikely.

Get the RPD for collector's purposes, the RPK for battlefield use.

Also SOG guys used to chop their RPDs into a nice little package, some of them fellers are on this board, they could give some hands on advice for the RPD.

JJ_BPK
11-20-2008, 05:43
Weapons Guys,

Money is not an object.

Give me some feedback?????

Kencito

Get both, The RPK for the range and the RPD for the trophy room..
Are you thinking NFA Form 1 or semi-auto??
Do you plan to build yourself or farm out the welding & machine shop work?

HOLLiS
11-20-2008, 09:31

There is not much information on conversion of a RPD. I have a conversion planned. The closed bolt part is not going to be all the difficult, seems that way) it is the fire control group.

If there is information that can be shared, a PM would be nice.

H.

KENCITO18D794
11-20-2008, 12:00
I 'm a beleiver in the AK action. I was just thinking about sustained fire. There seems to be a little more meat on the RPD.

That is a good point about the AK mags Vs the RPD drum/belt.

I have a Krinkov, and it was built bu a guy who allegedly knew what he was doing. It was brand new, and the bolt carrier likes to stick right behind the ejection port.

Do I need to oil the piss out of it, and just burn rounds through it or what????

JJ_BPK
11-20-2008, 12:14
If there is information that can be shared, a PM would be nice.H.

Hollis

I asked because I read, but rarely post to several fora on gun making. AR15, FAL files, AK-47, AKfiles.... And also Weaponee

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4744&PN=1

There are lots of people making RPK's by using kits and AK bent frames. But from what I've seen, one needs to be a welder and machine shop type to step up to the RPD,, and the other milled frame TOYS. Like the M2H, 1919, PPS & PPSH, Vz.58, and others.

Although I have managed to assemble a couple AK's and 1 of 3 FAL/FN kits,
I am in fascinated by people that have the talent to tackle a project of this level.

JJ_BPK
11-20-2008, 12:44
I have a Krinkov, and it was built bu a guy who allegedly knew what he was doing. It was brand new, and the bolt carrier likes to stick right behind the ejection port. Do I need to oil the piss out of it, and just burn rounds through it or what????

This could be several items and I would suggest you get to the maker or someone that has some experience,, but I'll offer suggestions:

1)BAD,, barrel out of alignment, you can try to put a 24" steel rule in the notch of the rear sight and balance it on the front sight post,, should be fairly easy to spot,, almost impossible to fix..

2)semi-bad, the rails in the receiver are not aligned properly,, take the bolt & carrier out and look for un-even ware in the inside rails,, it's probably going to be near the mag port,, if in doubt,, take it back to the builder. NoDacSpud had a batch of receivers, a couple yrs ago that need a little TLC wit the dremel (c # 4)

2)not bad,, gas piston hanging in the gas tube,, Take the upper hand guard off and check both ends for concentricity in shape,,, may need a little fitting, while your there check the gas port for clogging with a pipe cleaner and solvent.. (c # 4)

3)semi-easy,, a lot of builders change out the original gas piston for a USA part to be 922r compliant, check to see that the piston and carried align and are tight. If not, you can tap out the pin and replace with a 3mm chunk of nail, peen both ends.

4)very easy,, you need a couple hundred rounds to seat the action,, but before you do that a trip to the builder to get his take on it would be good...

5)no-brainer,, springs are warped or shot and do not have enought push to get the bolt past the hammer,, replace recoil spring(s)..

6)other,, the hammer may be sticking up and dragging on the bolt and/or the recoild spring may be to strong or (c # 4)

Good Luck,, and let us know how you make out with the RPK and/or the RPD..

On the mags,, I have seen RPD's with drum mags,, so the belt is not the only answer..

The Reaper
11-20-2008, 13:11
On the mags,, I have seen RPD's with drum mags,, so the belt is not the only answer..

IIRC, you can put the belt inside the drum, it does not mean that the drum can be loaded with individual rounds. Those drums are for the RPK.

TR

JJ_BPK
11-20-2008, 13:20
IIRC, you can put the belt inside the drum, it does not mean that the drum can be loaded with individual rounds. Those drums are for the RPK.

TR

Thanks TR..

19D-CavScout
11-20-2008, 14:12
I have a Krinkov, and it was built bu a guy who allegedly knew what he was doing. It was brand new, and the bolt carrier likes to stick right behind the ejection port.

I have a similar problem with a WASR, so am sending it to Krebs Custom to get it fixed. One thing about the AK, it may be built "using primitive means", but there is a LOT more skill that goes into them then most people think, so when it comes to working on them, I bow out to Marc Krebs, I would recommend calling their shop and asking if they have an opening.

Ambush Master
11-20-2008, 18:48

NEGATIVE!!! The ability to use the Form 1 for a MG went away in, I think, May, 1986!! The only way you can manufacture a full-auto is as a manufacturer and you can not sell it to a civillian!!

TR

TR is correct, you put a rolled up belt in it. We used to put a piece of linoleum flooring, cut a circle out of the square and stick it to the back of the drum, it quietened down the rattle and it fed better.

I think I posted a pic in here long ago of one of my team-mates with a shortie. I'll try and find it and post the link.

Later
Martin

HOLLiS
11-20-2008, 20:14
Hollis

I asked because I read, but rarely post to several fora on gun making. AR15, FAL files, AK-47, AKfiles.... And also Weaponee

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4744&PN=1

There are lots of people making RPK's by using kits and AK bent frames. But from what I've seen, one needs to be a welder and machine shop type to step up to the RPD,, and the other milled frame TOYS. Like the M2H, 1919, PPS & PPSH, Vz.58, and others.

Although I have managed to assemble a couple AK's and 1 of 3 FAL/FN kits,
I am in fascinated by people that have the talent to tackle a project of this level.

Generally making a jig to hold the frame square and to dimensions is the way to go. Making jigs are time consuming. IMHO, making one receiver it is not worth it. It is not all the difficult to do. Care in alignment and welding. Then re-building the weld areas to match the machining of original receiver.

Easiest conversion was the 1919 Browning. Costly, in that I spent about $100 in carbide cutters, machining the inner parts to fit the new semi auto receiver side plate.

The MG42 was hard, it was a open bolt, that had to be converted to closed bolt. The a different grip with a AR semi auto fire control.

AKs both 74s and 47s were pretty easy to make. In all cases I built my own receivers. A person can by special tools if they are going to build a bunch. I managed to get by with a squeezer (for solid rivets) and a pan brake (to form the receiver).

I used a MIG welder, than finished the work with a TIG.

I have done a number of conversions. BTW RPD's drums should not be confused with drums for AKs, Thompsons etc. They are hollowed pans that hold the belted rounds.

Ambush Master
11-20-2008, 20:38
Here is a link to an old thread that I started in May '04:

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1705

Some of you may not have seen this one.

Take care.
Martin

Oldschool45B
11-20-2008, 21:11
Vector makes a fine semi RPD that is nearly perfect. The stock angle is slightly off. You can still find them on the net if you look hard enough. Beautiful guns. As for the RPK, they use two types of drums. The Chicom drums you load from the rear while the Warsaw drums load from the top. The Arsenal RPK is one of the most beautiful guns I own, and I own a bunch of different AK's.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/3294/akwallpc1jx1.th.jpg (http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=akwallpc1jx1.jpg)

And I also agree that if money is no object, buy them both!

The Reaper
11-20-2008, 21:31
Has anyone seen a PKM semi-auto conversion for sale?

TR

KENCITO18D794
11-20-2008, 21:47
Listen up boys,

I thank you for all the information that you guys shared.

I called JG sales today to buy a YUGO M72 RPK, he said they were sold out. I asked him when they would be getting any more in, he said " probably never".

He also went on to inform me that they were sold out of ALL AK variants.

We've seen this before??????

If anyone has any ideas of where to get an RPK, let me know. I will do a more vigorous search manana.

Would love to see a picture of ther RPD shorty!

Does anyone know for sure if you can load the RPD drum with individual rounds instead of the belt.

Kencito

The Reaper
11-20-2008, 21:52
Does anyone know for sure if you can load the RPD drum with individual rounds instead of the belt.

Kencito

Are you doubting what we already told you?

TR

optactical
11-20-2008, 22:08
Listen up boys,

If you intend to fire the weapon, then no, the weapon only fires from a non-disintegrating/ reloadable belt or individually loaded rounds placed on the top of the feedtray.

The drum is for holding the belt rolled up. See above posts for further details.

KENCITO18D794
11-20-2008, 22:10
My bad TR. I missed the comment that it was strictly a belt inside of a drum.

What is you take on the run of AK type weapons???

Kencito

19D-CavScout
11-21-2008, 04:26
If you can find one, a Yugo is typically the best, but if not, Romanian, Polish are the next in like. If you want an AK TYPE weapon, but not exactly an AK, get a Vz.58 Czech model, they are VERY reliable and more accurate then some of the others, in stock form. Do not misunderstand me, the AK can be an incredible rifle and have great accuracy, but in some models you do need to fiddle with them a bit, so you will want to talk to some of the guys on here to get a better feel for what should be done to make the most out of it.
If you get really desperate, I have an RPK barrel that I could sell to you, so you can start with a regular AK parts kit and build up from there. I am not sure of the bore on it, so will have to check, but got it from a good friend a while back for prototyping a training weapon, so just needed the outer diameter measurements from it and stuck it in the gun safe.
Any time you go to change a barrel in a weapon like this, have it done by a shop with a lot of experience doing it, because there are way too many people out there who don't know exactly what needs to be done for putting them in.
RPD, excellent weapon, great firepower, but with some cons that make it a bad choice for a civilian use support weapon. You will need to save all the belts, and buying extras to begin with will be difficult and expensive. Drums are hard to find, so it will take a long time to build a decent load for any kind of sustained fire role. I would use an RPK in a hear beat, and would probably go for the Yugo Paratrooper model, since a under folding stock makes storage, transport, carry and deployment a little easier. With a shorter overall length, it also makes it a bit more "weildy", so it can be collapsed for potential CQC use.
You can get 20, 30, 40, 70 round mags and drums for them readily, and for a lot less then most other weapons, so feeding the beast is a bit easier and readily available.
When it comes to supporting a weapon of this type with ammo, I would recommend some of the ChiCom shoulder bags that hold 5 mags each (other countries make them too, that is simply for example since I have a few myself). You can use these to provide a carrying capacity for an AG, or just to have a couple in a vehicle for a "BoB", in case you are doing counter ambush work that needs higher volumes of fire.
One thing to remember about using any mags larger then the 30 rounders, most pouches are not made to hold these, so you will need to find the bags/pouches specific to them or have them made, so I would personally look at just using 30 rounders and 70 round drums, and the drums can fit into a M249 SAW drum pouch or you can buy the actual sling bags for them.
What kind of ammo are you looking at using in them?

Oldschool45B
11-21-2008, 11:30
The RPK by both the Yugo's and the Bulgy's are top notch. The Yugo does not have a chrome lined barrel, but it is no big deal. I had a few in Asscrackistan that I beat the PISS out of and they kept right on running. The Bulgy is milled and they are BEAUTIFUL! If you want a shooter and wall hanger, this is the way to go. The Yugo has function but not so much beauty.

The run on AK's is based on Obama getting elected. We have about 100 guns on back order right now that are AK's and AR's, mostly AR's. We have several types of AK's available and if you want to know about them go look here:

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/

These guys are hard core collectors and are extremely helpful.