PDA

View Full Version : MRE Survey

Richard
11-12-2008, 18:03
Here's the latest DOD rations survey:

Flossing is key in maintaining healthy teeth and gums, and having food stuck in your teeth can be downright painful ! What do you think about adding a piece of floss to the MRE for use after eating?

I would think there are other issues related to MREs of greater importance with the troops than whether or not to add a piece of dental floss. We used to just chew on a wooden match or piece of a twig to shred the ends and then use that to clean the bits of fish, pork, tentacle, stringy beef, etc out from between our teeth.

FWIW--I almost posted this under the Comedy Zone once I caught my breath...but figured it must be a serious issue out there because there's an honest-to-God LTC in charge of this important survey. :rolleyes:

Richard's $.02 :munchin

caveman
11-12-2008, 18:48
I've eaten my fair share of MRE's and I don't believe I've ever had a situation requiring floss. It may have something to do with the fact that there is nothing in an MRE that can't be eaten with a spoon :rolleyes:

Delicious and Nutritious.

Box
11-12-2008, 19:38
The idea that someone is so worried about my health and welfare that they have a field grade officer researching my oral hygiene needs as they relate to field rations makes my heart shine with pride.

I feel special, and therefore I want mint flavored floss.

Dozer523
11-12-2008, 20:54
Tie the ends to two old spoons and you have a field expedient garrote.
What? Why are you lookin' at me like that? Everything you carry ought to have at least two purposes.

Richard
11-12-2008, 21:06
Tie the ends to two old spoons and you have a field expedient garrote.
What? Why are you lookin' at me like that? Everything you carry ought to have at least two purposes.

More than two! As for old spoons, they have many good uses. ;)

Dozer523
11-12-2008, 22:16
More than two! As for old spoons, they have many good uses. ;)

That's true. Nothing caused the Commo SGT more dismay then to see a plastic spoon thrown away. "You can make commo with that, ya know!"

JJ_BPK
11-13-2008, 05:34
I think someone should tell the LTC that we always have floss available,,

440 paracord !!!! :D:D:D

Richard
11-13-2008, 05:54
Nothing caused the Commo SGT more dismay then to see a plastic spoon thrown away.

Yep. Demo man, too. :lifter

SF_BHT
11-13-2008, 06:44
I think someone should tell the LTC that we always have floss available,,

440 paracord !!!!

Yeah that only works good when your old and have lost some of our chompers.:p:D

Ret10Echo
11-13-2008, 06:47
So what is actually IN and MRE that would get stuck in your teeth???

Although floss comes in handy with the needle from your survival kit to sew up holes in things.....

bluenote
11-13-2008, 07:45
I have a problem with MREs getting stuck alright, just not in my teeth...BN

greenberetTFS
11-13-2008, 10:13
I had my first exposure to MRE's after Katrina. They weren't to bad. Had to eat them for 5 weeks,due to having no power available. In my day it was C's and most were from the WW2's era. I don't remember that either my wife or I had any problems that may have required needing tooth floss.......Just my 2 cents. :p

GB TFS :munchin

AF Doc
11-13-2008, 12:10
Laugh if you must...and I did...but flossing is extremely important for overall health, not just tooth health. It isn't a question what food get's stuck in yer ivories. Eating anything gets small particles of food trapped in your teeth. Flossing helps reduce the bacterial count and keep your gums healthy. This may reduce your overall inflamatory response. There are suggestions that flossing may reduce the incidence of heart attack. Who's laughing now?

Using a toothpick can be highly effective as well, but floss is still the "gold standard." Floss can be used to repair gear or as improvised sutures or as any number of things (I bet a good EOD airman could turn it into det cord somehow). So go ahead and disrespect the floss if you want, but in the Global War on Terror the humble MRE and a length of floss have their place on the front lines. :lifter

(This is why they give these things to field-graders and up)

Red Flag 1
11-13-2008, 13:01
Agree with AF Doc, not because he is AF, but because he is correct,

Inclusion of dental floss is a rather inexpensive item. Fifty to one hundred yards of floss takes up less room in an MRE pouch than a pack of matches. Sure you can minimize the dental value if you need to, but it does make a difference as AF Doc mentioned. Not flossing can set up sub-clinical infections within the gingiva that can be a systemic problem down the road. I know that there is at least one member on this board who can address this issue better than I can.

It is true that there are many things that can be used as a fill in for dental floss in the field; how well they work I do not know. In that there have been things identified as dental floss substitutes, speaks to the value of dental floss in the field for dental care.

Perhaps we could take the time to consider what other values dental floss can have in the field. I have used dental floss clinically to remove rings imbedded in fingers. Dental floss would work great in ligating bleeders in the field, when nothing else is available.

IMHO, dental floss would be great addition to the MRE pouch, that can have tactical value as well.

I would value other ideas on how dental floss could be of value in the field; not including the fight against bad breath.

:munchin

RF 1

ZonieDiver
11-13-2008, 13:14
IMHO, dental floss would be great addition to the MRE pouch, that can have tactical value as well.

I would value other ideas on how dental floss could be of value in the field; not including the fight against bad breath.

RF 1

Camouflage dental floss! I want some...;)

Pete S
11-13-2008, 13:19
If a situation requires that my only sustenance comes from MRE's I will most likely have more to concern myself with then flossing.

Next month coming to an MRE near you: a complete mini hygiene kit. :rolleyes:

Pete

Red Flag 1
11-13-2008, 14:04
Camouflage dental floss! I want some...;)

Can you live with pine flavored mauve? :D

RF 1

Dozer523
11-13-2008, 15:03
Well . . . Here are the results of the AKO Survey so far

Question: Flossing is key in maintaining healthy teeth and gums, and having food stuck in your teeth can be downright painful ! What do you think about adding a piece of floss to the MRE for use after eating?
Results:
Sounds great, I'd use it nearly every time! -- 1267 votes (69%)
I'd use it fairly often (a couple of times a week) -- 351 votes (19%)
I would use it sometimes (about once a week) -- 89 votes (4%)
I rarely use floss, only when I have something stuck between my teeth (a couple of times a month or so) -- 93 votes (5%)
I would never use it. I never floss, even when something hurts -- 27 votes (1%)

Richard
11-13-2008, 20:46
Allah be praised for the American dental corps! We can smell the Americans when they are coming in the night by their minty flossed breath. :rolleyes:

We used to try to smell like the local odors to avoid detection as long as possible. What's next, a deodorant stick and cologne strip in the MRE packet? :p

Dozer523
11-13-2008, 21:44
Inclusion of dental floss is a rather inexpensive item. Fifty to one hundred yards of floss takes up less room in an MRE pouch than a pack of matches.

I would value other ideas on how dental floss could be of value in the field; not including the fight against bad breath. RF 1
Fifty to a hundred yards per MRE! Think of the many gill nets you could make as you waited for your supply of meals to run out. Us FOGs remember getting rid of those short little black laces in Jungle Boots and replacing them with really, REALLY long strands of 550 cord. That way if you went into "survival-mode" you could strip out the interior white threads and weave a gill net to catch little-bitty fishes. Unfortunately, no CSM will let you wear green strings in your tan boots today. I think weaving gill nets during the survival portion of Phase 1 was a nod to LTC Rowe. (Or maybe they just wanted us to keep busy.)

Pete
11-14-2008, 04:36
Dental Floss makes good thread for sewing. Sew a button on with dental floss and it stays put.

Jgood
11-14-2008, 17:06
Research shows that flossing daily will add 4yrs to your life.

as for being a priority in MREs, I feel that there is better things a field grade should/could be doing.

another use for floss as read in some back woods survival magazine besides those mentioned is as a snare

VVVV
11-14-2008, 17:47
What's next, a deodorant stick and cologne strip in the MRE packet? :p

Yes, but only for Legs!

ZonieDiver
11-15-2008, 01:37
Research shows that flossing daily will add 4yrs to your life.

as for being a priority in MREs, I feel that there is better things a field grade should/could be doing.

another use for floss as read in some back woods survival magazine besides those mentioned is as a snare

Yeah, but those are the really "sucky" years at the end... with adult diapers, baby food, and a "rascal"!

mcarey
11-15-2008, 08:30
Fifty to a hundred yards per MRE! Think of the many gill nets you could make as you waited for your supply of meals to run out. Us FOGs remember getting rid of those short little black laces in Jungle Boots and replacing them with really, REALLY long strands of 550 cord. That way if you went into "survival-mode" you could strip out the interior white threads and weave a gill net to catch little-bitty fishes. Unfortunately, no CSM will let you wear green strings in your tan boots today. I think weaving gill nets during the survival portion of Phase 1 was a nod to LTC Rowe. (Or maybe they just wanted us to keep busy.)
Coyote and Desert Tan 550 Cord is available.;) I wonder if they can put the appropriate AO colored floss?