PDA

View Full Version : Two unusual magazines

Plutarch
11-10-2008, 23:37
I was going through an old range bag someone gave me several years ago, and I found two 20 rd AR-15 magazines.

One is marked COLT AR-15 , cal .223, Colt's PT. F. A. MFG. Co INC, with prancing pony. It has a dull gray aluminum follower.

I found a website that listed this as an early Air Force contract magazine, circa 1963-1968. It is in perfect shape, and the spring is still strong. It was actually loaded when I found it...free ammo! :D

The other magazine is the one that has me stumped. It is a curved 20 rd AR-15 magazine. It is in a sealed thick plastic bag. It appears to have a black aluminum or steel follower ( hard to tell through the bag ).

The floorplate is black with no markings. It is thicker than an ordinary floorplate, and appears to be pinned with two steel pins through the side of the magazine, such that is not removable.

I haven't been able to find anything similar online. I'm assuming that it is some sort of after market magazine, but the fact that I found it along with the 60's era magazine has me curious.

Any ideas?

82ndtrooper
11-11-2008, 06:55
No idea.

Use them as lower reciever bench blocks and buy a couple dozen PMAGS. :D:munchin

Peregrino
11-11-2008, 20:05
You'll have the check the capacity of the curved mag. It sounds like one of the ban period 10 round mags for Bushmaster or Amalite. Current production from several manufacturers uses the curved 20 rd body. It's only an issue if you're using it in CMP/NRA competition (not legal since it doesn't match the "appearance" of the original (straight) 20 rd mag).