PDA

View Full Version : Predicament

LR27
11-03-2008, 20:20
I have a frustrating situation at hand, and I am posting this in hopes that some of you can share your wisdom and point me in the right direction.

In June 2007, I attended SFAS and got selected. I decided to ETS in December 2007 to finish my degree. Once I finished, I would resume the Q Course.

Earlier this week I received a letter from good ol' St. Louis, MO, letting me know I was being mobilized for OIF. I knew that was a risk in getting out, but the orders say they are sending me to '1161 TC CO, Ephrata, WA.'

I was an 11B, and spent my entire time in as a Sniper. Why would they send me to a transportation company?? I contacted HRC, and the woman who answered the phone for Infantry branch told me, "Needs of the Army. You will still be an 11B, you wont be driving a truck." I then contacted the TC CO itself, and they said they have no 11B's on their MTOE.:confused:

I have a feeling someone has made a mistake, and they dont want to admit it. I contacted 19th SFG, and they said they probably cant touch me because I have orders, but they are working on it. I contacted the Army Sniper Association and Sniper School, and they are seeing what they can do. I thought I'd turn to you gentlemen, as well. The HRC rep said their is "no way" to change orders. Is this true? What would all of you recommend I do? Is there anyway I can get to the Q Course or even get to an infantry battalion?

Your advice and wisdom is invaluable at this point.

NousDefionsDoc
11-03-2008, 20:28
I have a feeling someone has made a mistake,
Ya think? :munchin

Go on and do the tour, it will make you a more rounded soldier...;)

The Reaper
11-03-2008, 21:04
I hear that the FMTV can haul a lot of ammo for the sniper assigned to them.

Very cushy ride.:D

TR

longrange1947
11-03-2008, 21:21
I am afraid that you took your chances and the die came up snake eyes. You will probably be stuck with your assignment as they need TCs even more than they need snipers.

NousDefionsDoc
11-03-2008, 21:39
http://ve.ida.org/rtoc/images/hemtt.jpg

Sniper UP!

Blitzzz (RIP)
11-03-2008, 22:21
It's the army, and generally you goes where they sends ya.
Depending on your rank in comparison to the rest of the guys, things may not be to bad. I however had rather have a sister in a whorehouse than drive a truck in that war.
Find a local NG maint unit and trade something they want for an armor plate wielded under your feet.
And good luck on your further endeavors.
Do like the THAI taxi drivers do and slide way over to the left of the seat to give Budda room to sit next to you. Best of luck, Blitz

Ddvant01
11-04-2008, 08:24
Removed, Yes sir. Sorry for the inconvenience.

SF_BHT
11-04-2008, 08:37
Now I have no previous military experience, and this may be out of line. But the owner of www.snipercentral.com was a sniper assigned to a mobile unit.

EDIT: No need to tell me, wrong section to be answering questions. I apologize.

Young man

Unless you are a QP you should not be posting here. This was a question in the SF Questions section. As you noticed above only QP's had responded. Search, Read and learn. Open each area and read thestickies. They will help you understand each area of the board.
Regards

Ret10Echo
11-04-2008, 08:45
LR27,
Consider this an opportunity to apply some interpersonal skills and make the sandwich as tasy as possible :p.....Suck up the assignment orders but be alert for opportunities to present themselves.

YOU should not be a limiting factor.

Richard
11-04-2008, 08:54
Young man--Unless you are a QP you should not be posting here. This was a question in the SF Questions section. As you noticed above only QP's had responded. Search, Read and learn. Open each area and read thestickies. They will help you understand each area of the board.
Regards

BHT is quite correct and SA is one of the most important lessons you can learn in life...and the sooner, the better.

As for your predicament...it sounds to me like an opportunity to excell as an Asst Ops Training NCO or the like, providing Infantry training, experience, and leadership to the TC to improve their basic soldiering skills, professionalism, survivability, and morale. Challenges are what it's all about out there. :lifter

FWIW, if you're ever seriously thinking of trying for an 18 series MOS, IMO you'd better start by adopting an 'another chance to excel' vs a 'woe is me' mind set when it comes to such situations. We've all been there. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Soft Target
11-04-2008, 16:56
Having commanded a service support company (Rigger) in the 101st, I took all the advantage I could of any combat arms guys assigned to improve the tactical posture of the unit and increase individual skills in that area. Some were reclass and some were unknown as to why they were there. The Riggers loved it (and so did I).

mark46th
11-04-2008, 21:45
Thank God we had Mrs. A...

Richard
11-04-2008, 21:48
Thank God we had Mrs. A...

A-F'in-MEN! :lifter

Richard's $.02 :munchin

LR27
11-05-2008, 12:33
Thank you all for your advice and wisdom. Richard, Blitzz, LR1947, BHT, your posts are some of the ones I usually pay closest attention to on the forum. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Benning told me there is a chance I will be placed in an 11B slot once I in-process and things are sorted out. Regardless, I will make the best of whatever assignment I am given, and get back to the Q Course as soon as possible.

lonewolf726
11-29-2008, 00:56
LongRange27, good luck to you in your future assignment.

Ddvant01,
The man you spoke of was an Infantryman assigned to a Mech Inf unit. I know the guy. Big difference between a Mechanized Infantry unit and a Transportation Company.

Divemaster
12-03-2008, 01:29
My 11B time was a great tactical base to bring to my fledgling SF career. Having been a squad leader was perfect for my first FID mission. Of course, this was under the guidance of my senior 18B who quitely pulled me aside and suggested yelling "at ease" to a group to Thai Rangers probably wasn't the best way to handle their talking during my class on heat injuries.

So, do your tour, learn a lot...and don't yell at Thai Rangers.

NBC-Guy
12-16-2008, 18:59
Can't help you much with the question you asked but I am in the WAANG. I have friends in 1161st so if you want any POCs or want me to have a few squared away people look out for you let me know via pm. Stay safe.

Dozer523
12-16-2008, 19:30
Can't help you much with the question you asked but I am in the WAANG. I have friends in 1161st so if you want any POCs or want me to have a few squared away people look out for you let me know via pm. Stay safe.
In this pattern, what comes next?
Original Asset, QP, QP, QP, QP, QP, Different Asset,:eek: QP named SF BHT sees post,:mad: Different Asset's post removed, QP, QP, QP, QP, QP, QP, Original Asset (post stays) , QP, QP, Different Asset.:eek:
Hint, NBC Guy, SF BHT will be by REAL soon:mad: Too late! He saw it! DUCK! edited 2036 QPST200812116.

SF_BHT
12-16-2008, 19:41

Young man and I must use this loosely.

What area are we in? Ohhhhhh Special Forces/Special Forces Questions
Look below your board name and if it says MOD, Admin, Quiet Professional you may keep commenting.
SINCE IT DOES NOT STOP

Are there any other questions you wish to ask or comment on do not do it here in the SF area. A person asked QP's for comment not anyone else.

Thank you for your time and get back to searching the board and reading. If you wanted to help him you should have sent a PM since this area is not for you.
Regards and have a very NBC Day.....

Dozer523
12-16-2008, 19:46
SINCE IT DOES NOT, STOP!Regards and have a very NBC Day.....
Told ya . . . SF BHT "is coming to town,:eek: He see you . . .:mad:

LR27
01-14-2009, 14:33
I sent HRC a letter stating my intentions to finish my degree and attend the SFQC through 19th SFG. A board of officers will decide if I will deploy or not.

I am still training hard, rucking 3 times a week and hitting the gym. I will update this thread when HRC makes their decision. Thanks for answering my questions.

7624U
01-14-2009, 22:17
If your on deployment orders SWTG can't touch you, till that board gets you off orders. also remember your Selection is only good for 3 years and the clock is ticking.

LR27
01-14-2009, 22:26
If your on deployment orders SWTG can't touch you, till that board gets you off orders. also remember your Selection is only good for 3 years and the clock is ticking.
Roger that.

19th SFG said they cant touch me until my orders are waived by HRC. This is my number one life goal, if I don't make it back before the deadline, and they want me to go through SFAS again, I'll do it. Nothing is going to get in my way.

LR27
03-11-2009, 18:26
HRC revoked my orders and agreed to let me finish my degree before the SFQC. Someone at HRC actually possesses some reasoning skills and is greatly appreciated.;)

Thanks to all for your input.

greenberetTFS
03-12-2009, 12:29
Told ya . . . SF BHT "is coming to town,:eek: He see you . . .:mad:

Dozer, You make my day........ I can't wait until I see your most recent posts..... You keep everybody on their toes.........;)

GB TFS :munchin