PDA

View Full Version : GT Score Point Exception, WRT 18X

J.R.
06-03-2004, 22:40
Evening:

Are there any current forum members involved in the 18X pipeline that are aware if point exceptions/waivers are made for the GT requirement? I took the ASVAB earlier today and my GT Score is 109, 1 point shy of the required 110 for an 18X Enlistment Contract. If there are point exceptions/waivers made for this, how would I go about obtaining one?

My recruiter mentioned it briefly, but is attempting to steer me toward 11X/Unassigned Airborne with the intent of putting in an SFAS packet later. While I am not going to even consider that, I would like to know if there are any options available to me other than those mentioned and the gamble of retaking the ASVAB in 30 days.

Team Sergeant
06-03-2004, 22:47
Get a book on the ASVAB. I'm sure they're are pointers on "how to" take the test. Anyone else wish to chime in on the ASVAB?

TS

J.R.
06-03-2004, 22:50
I purchased "ASVAB for Dummies" over a month ago and have been using the March2Success.com ASVAB Prep Web site, which is published by the Army & The Princeton Review Online. I have done nothing but study over the last several weeks to brush up on my weak area (math). Going into MEPS, I felt confident but apparently that was irrelevant.

mcd72085
06-04-2004, 08:59
If your taking the computer version, then focus more time on the first questions. Even if they don't seem difficult, think them through, and make sure they are correct before putting your answer down. From what I understand, each question you get correctly, the next one comes out harder and the harder ones are worth more points. So by getting the easy ones all correct, you'll end up with more difficult questions at the end, which even if you don't have the answers too, you can try and guess out the wrong answers, and have a better chance at more points.

Thats what I used for the most part, and towards the end of some of the sections, like the vocab for instance, I didn't even recognize some of the words; but I ended up pulling a 99QT and a 129 GT.

skipjack
06-04-2004, 09:22
J.R.

Check out this book.... I used it to help a friend who was having trouble with the ASVAB. He needed help in math and it helped him out. Since you know that math is your weak point and your only 1 point shy, then you should have no trouble bringing that score up! Keep at it and Good Luck.

Asvab Basics: Everything You Need to Score High on (Arco Military Test Tutor):
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0768910285/qid=1086362309/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/104-1019333-6119905?v=glance&s=books

-skipjack

mffjm8509
06-04-2004, 15:52
JR,

I think you've gotten an indirect answer to your origional question about getting a waiver.

Everyone seems to be giving guidance on how to study, work harder, and score higher on the exam before starting the pipeline.

My .02 is that if you look for a shortcut now (waiver) then anyu unatainable standards in the future will give you cause to look for a waiver (shortcut).

Its simple, if you want to be one of the best prepared profesionals in the US Military, then spend the time neccessary to excel at every task presented. Yours starts with the ASVAB.

mp

NousDefionsDoc
06-04-2004, 15:56
Well said Team Sergeant, well said.

J.R. I highly suggest you not back in - come tall or don't come at all.

Dirt Gallo
10-21-2004, 07:44
Sorry for beating on an old thread, but I have a related question on the subject....

What is the ACTUAL max score possible on the individual line scores on the ASVAB? I've just recently retaken the test during my re-enlistment process, and, all of my scores seem to have sky-rocketed since my first-time taking for my initial enlistment. For example, my GT is now 132(up from 124). My scores range from 132 to 150, and my AFQT score is only 96. After reading some fellas saying that they have scored 99 AFQT, and having slightly lower GT scores, I am curious what the maximums are.....

Also, these scores were obtained from the printout given to me by the test proctor/supervisor. At the top of the printout, it says "Unverified Windows Cat-Asvab Test Score Report". Would the test scores possibly change a great deal after being verified?

Just curious.....

Achilles
10-21-2004, 11:39
My scores range from 132 to 150, and my AFQT score is only 96. After reading some fellas saying that they have scored 99 AFQT, and having slightly lower GT scores, I am curious what the maximums are.....

Line scores max out at 140 I believe. Only like 4-5 line scores make up for the AFQT. Your score on the electronics or auto and shop make no difference to the AFQT. These guys may have scored low on those sections but higher on reading and math. I didn't score below 132 on anything and I got a 95 also. Kinda weird, I've never scored lower than 98-99 on any entry level aptitude test like ASVAB. One one website an 18X complains about getting a 98 after getting a 99 on the GMAT. :eek: