PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

echoes
10-30-2008, 12:05
What would you do?

You are driving a mini-van down a two lane country road. There is no one in front of your vehicle, and the speed limit is 50mph. The next stop-sign is one full mile down, and the hot-rod vehicle that just turned in behind you decides 50 is not fast enough, and is riding your bumper.
(I mean reving the engine, riding like an idy racecar type.)
Your vehicle is clearly marked with a handicapped tag, but since there is on-comming traffic, there is no where to go.

This scenario just happened, and I do not think I handeled it very well, as I started yelling into my rear-view mirror, and scaring my passengers. Was just curious if those far smarter than me would have any suggestions on how to handle this properly?

Would truly appreciate any thoughts on this subject.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Holly

SF_BHT
10-30-2008, 12:19
Holly

1st It does not matter what type of tags you have.

2nd As long as you are doing the speed limit you're OK.

3rd Confronting the individual is not the best option. Yelling in your mirror just makes you feel better but as you said upset the person with you.

Tapping our break lights usually gets them off your bumper. If not you are not going to remedy a nut behind the wheel. Road rage can be dangerous.

My way and it is not the recommended way if alone is to HIT The Brakes and scare the hell out of the Idiot. :eek:If they hit me it is the fault of the individual behind as they were not maintaining proper distance. Just tell the cop that a cat or dog ran out and you broke for them and this Idiot was tail gating and hit you.

Just my crazy 2 cents

dennisw
10-30-2008, 12:21
I hate this kind of situation. Normally I just drive how I normally drive and they eventually find an opportunity to pass and go on their way. They usually give me a dirty look, etc. but who cares. However on certain days when my blood is up, I usually flip them off. I never slow down and or slam on my brakes as it could cause an accident.

Was it the loudness of your voice or the content of your message that scared your passenger? :D

Pete
10-30-2008, 12:24
What would you do?..........

Pay Attention but ignore them. Drive you own ride. Don't make eye contact, but keep an eye on what they are doing. Most likely punks out having fun.

If they pass be prepared for a cut and squat - where they cut in right in front of your bumper and hit the brakes. Might want to take your foot off the gas and put it on the brake if they pass.

Have your cell phone handy and ready to dial 911. Get details on the license and car if they slow down in front of you.

Call 911 if you feel threatened.

Me? People don't road rage me for some reason.

echoes
10-30-2008, 12:30
Bryan,

That is a new one for me, but will try it next time, god forbid, this happen. Thank You.

My thought at the stop-sign was to get out of my vehicle, and confront the guy, I mean seriously. He looked like a Vanilla Ice punk from my mirror, but I thought that would be a bad idea considering my passengers.

Thanks again.

Holly

SF_BHT
10-30-2008, 12:34
Bryan,

That is a new one for me, but will try it next time, god forbid, this happen. Thank You.

My thought at the stop-sign was to get out of my vehicle, and confront the guy, I mean seriously. He looked like a Vanilla Ice punk from my mirror, but I thought that would be a bad idea considering my passengers.

Thanks again.

Holly

Do NOT I men DO NOT EVER GET OUT and confront the Idiot. He is in a vehicle that could kill you. You do not know what that person will do and you do not want to get into a confrontation like that.

Pete's info is good and if they keep being aggressive and endanger you call 911 and give the tag to the police. It is not worth your life to fight with an unknown nut.

echoes
10-30-2008, 12:47
Indeed, thank you Pete, and everyone else who took their time to post on this thread.

This was something un-planned and therefore un-chartered by me...I SO wanted to to confront this POS for putting my passengers in danger...but will take the information from here and apply it.

Holly

Stras
10-30-2008, 13:45
Bryan,

Thanks again.

Holly

With the idiots out on the road these days, you could get shot. Or found to be the "person with Road Rage' by the cops.

I just watch them carefully and make note of their license plate and vehicle description. one never knows when a "hot anonymous tip" might be phoned into the cops of drug dealers.

GreenSalsa
10-30-2008, 14:20
Let them pass...I do it all the time while towing my rig...

jw74
10-30-2008, 14:47
I started yelling into my rear-view mirror, and scaring my passengers. Was just curious if those far smarter than me would have any suggestions on how to handle this properly?

Holly

I cant claim being smarter, but a-holes love to push buttons and seeing you freak out probably made his day. Since you can't control him you have to control your response to him.

echoes
10-30-2008, 14:48

Sir,

That was my first thought, I mean straight out the gait, first...

Then I thought of calling 911. But since this guy was behind me...it seemed to take the wind outta the sail of every possible "right thing to do." Like, "Okay Officer, metallic blue Camaro with a preppy blonde white-guy in the seat?":confused:

Am commiting the responses here to memory, and will use them.

Seriously, thank you all for the posts.

Holly

P.S....jw74: That is exactly why I wanted to get out and kick his MF sorry ass!

Chris Cram
10-30-2008, 15:10
Holly

Another option that I have found useful, is to separate the accelerator from the ego… Set the cruse control to the appropriate speed and take your foot off the gas. Be patient and breathe… If they continue to follow too closely, drop your speed by 3mph by using the cruse control switch. Continue until they pass or back off… If they back off, resume regular speed.

You never know how stupid the other guy is…
So it is usually best to walk softly, and keep your big stick by your side.

Drive safe

jcwhite2
10-30-2008, 15:36
Road rage can really be dangerous.

Not long after I first started driving, I had a friend in the car with me when some random guy starting messing with me. I wasn't doing anything to provoke him, and my passenger said he didn't either.

I did my best to keep my wits about me even though this guy kept messing with me. He eventually did cut in front of me and SLAM on his brakes, causing him to skid, and me to almost rear-end him. Luckily I'm quick enough and my car was capable enough to stop in time. Then he tried to get me to follow him into a parking lot...

As soon as he turned in, I hit the gas and hauled it down the road - not the best idea I found, but I was in an unfamiliar place and only knew one way out. I got up to about 90 when I saw him coming up on me quick, so I found a side road and slowed down to take the turn.

When he realized he was going to hit me, he swerved - not doing much less than 90 by my guess, and almost lost all controll. This idiot almost hit a bunch of oncoming traffic.

I got away from him after that, but it scared the crap out me, being that I was 19 and had been driving for only a few weeks at the time.

Just goes to show that sometimes, even doing the best you can to deal with crazies the proper way doesn't help much, but I'm sure if I had challenged him or tried to confront him, my friend and I would've surely wound up worse off than being a little shook:mad:

Dozer523
10-30-2008, 15:40
I pull over safely and let them pass. I don't look at them, but I smile. Then pull back into traffic. Sometimes I catch up in traffic, I smile. Sometimes I see them pull into a gas station, I smile. Sometimes I see them in a ditch, I stop; grap my CLS bag and my NSP kitbag. I smile when I say, "May I be of assistance, I have some medical training".

HQ6
10-30-2008, 16:47

This.

Back in the day, I used to slam my brakes, but now that I cart around two very precious toddlers in my minivan, I pull over and let the moron pass. I usually smile and wave as they pass :)

the squid
10-30-2008, 19:51
What would you do?

You are driving a mini-van down a two lane country road. There is no one in front of your vehicle, and the speed limit is 50mph. The next stop-sign is one full mile down, and the hot-rod vehicle that just turned in behind you decides 50 is not fast enough, and is riding your bumper.
(I mean reving the engine, riding like an idy racecar type.)
Your vehicle is clearly marked with a handicapped tag, but since there is on-comming traffic, there is no where to go.

This scenario just happened, and I do not think I handeled it very well, as I started yelling into my rear-view mirror, and scaring my passengers. Was just curious if those far smarter than me would have any suggestions on how to handle this properly?

Holly

I would have coasted down to about 25 miles an hour, hoping he either got the message and backed off, or passed me.

Bill Harsey
10-30-2008, 20:18
Holly,
Sorry this happened and there has been some very good sound advice given.
Glad your safe too.

My wife was raised mostly in town but spent lots of time riding horses in the hills. When we were first "going together" and on the way back from the farm where her horses were she got cut off on a freeway. The offending vehicle was 4wd pickup with three young gentlemen in the front seat wearing cowboy hats and a rifle rack full of what it's designed to carry.
So she hits the horn and flips them off. I was unarmed and my response was "What the f*** are you doing?!?!"
We spent some time working on a little simple math after that.

Paslode
10-30-2008, 20:33
In my foolish days....well

There was this young lady that was riding my ass in a 25, I sped up and she was still there, 35 she was still there, 45 still there and then we came to a red light and two lanes, I was livid! I rolled down the window and started yelling at her and she yelled back. The light turns green and my wife said, You feel better now? No. Do you realize you put us in danger? But she was riding our ass! Do you realize she could have had a gun? Ahhh...never crossed my mind.

Did you ever think to pull over or turn onto a cross street? No, but I will.

I still can't believe I did that:rolleyes:

So anymore someone starts riding my ass I slow down slightly and they generally slow down or pass me, if not I just pull off or turn onto another cross street. Worse case I'd call 911.

But sometimes a club may be required...

A guy I knew had a car of kids that repeatedly tried to run him off the road on a narrow two lane highway in the early morning. The police said it was probably racially motivated. Unfortunately for the hooligans, Bill was packing a 44 mag. He hung his pistol out the window and fired, several shots hit pay dirt hitting the driver and front passenger. Neither died but the one of them had his his ankle or elbow hanging by a thread.

Bill got off without a hitch.