PDA

View Full Version : BHO as an Illinois state Senator and his views on the 2nd amendment

Sdiver
10-26-2008, 11:33
Found this today. Although BHO as been giving a lot of "lip service" on his stance for sportsman and the 2nd Amendment, let's really look at how he feels.

Illinois State Rifle Association Executive Director Richard Pearson Issues Open Letter to Nation's Sportsmen Regarding Obama's History in the Illinois Senate

CHICAGO, Oct. 15 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following is the text
of an open letter to the nation's hunters and sportsmen issued today by
Illinois State Rifle Association Executive Director Richard Pearson:

Fellow Sportsman,

Hello, my name is Rich Pearson and I have been active in the firearm
rights movement for over 40 years. For the past 15 years, I have served in
the Illinois state capitol as the chief lobbyist for the Illinois State
Rifle Association.

I lobbied Barack Obama extensively while he was an Illinois State
Senator. As a result of that experience, I know Obama's attitudes toward
guns and gun owners better than anyone. The truth be told, in all my years
in the Capitol I have never met a legislator who harbors more contempt for
the law-abiding firearm owner than does Barack Obama.

Although Obama claims to be an advocate for the 2nd Amendment, his
voting record in the Illinois Senate paints a very different picture. While
a state senator, Obama voted for a bill that would ban nearly every hunting
rifle, shotgun and target rifle owned by Illinois citizens. That same bill
would authorize the state police to raid homes of gun owners to forcibly
confiscate banned guns. Obama supported a bill that would shut down
law-abiding firearm manufacturers including Springfield Armory, Armalite,
Rock River Arms and Les Baer. Obama also voted for a bill that would
prohibit law-abiding citizens from purchasing more than one gun per month.

Without a doubt, Barack Obama has proven himself to be an enemy of the
law abiding firearm owner. At the same time, Obama has proven himself to be
a friend to the hardened criminal. While a state senator, Obama voted 4
times against legislation that would allow a homeowner to use a firearm in
defense of home and family.

Does Barack Obama still sound to you like a "friend" of the law-abiding
gun owner?

And speaking of friends, you can always tell a person by the company
they keep. Obama counts among his friends the Rev. Michael Pfleger - a
renegade Chicago priest who has openly called for the murder of gun shop
owners and pro-gun legislators. Then there is his buddy Richard Daley, the
mayor of Chicago who has declared that if it were up to him, nobody would
be allowed to own a gun. And let's not forget Obama's pal George Soros -
the guy who has pumped millions of dollars into the UN's international
effort to disarm law-abiding citizens.

Obama has shown that he is more than willing to use other people's
money to fund his campaign to take your guns away from you. While a board
member of the leftist Joyce Foundation, Barack Obama wrote checks for tens
of millions of dollars to extremist gun control organizations such as the
Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence and the Violence Policy Center.

Does Barack Obama still sound to you like a "friend" of the law-abiding
gun owner?

By now, I'm sure that many of you have received mailings from an
organization called "American Hunters and Shooters Association(AHSA)"
talking about what a swell fellow Obama is and how he honors the 2nd
Amendment and how you will never have to worry about Obama coming to take
your guns. Let me make it perfectly clear - everything the AHSA says about
Obama is pure hogwash. The AHSA is headed by a group of left-wing elitists
who subscribe to the British view of hunting and shooting. That is, a state
of affairs where hunting and shooting are reserved for the wealthy
upper-crust who can afford guided hunts on exclusive private reserves. The
AHSA is not your friend, never will be.

In closing, I'd like to remind you that I'm a guy who has actually gone
nose to nose with Obama on gun rights issues. The Obama I know cannot even
begin to identify with this nation's outdoor traditions. The Obama I know
sees you, the law abiding gun owner, as nothing but a low-class lummox who
is easily swayed by the flash of a smile and a ration of rosy rhetoric. The
Obama I know is a stony-faced liar who has honed his skill at getting what
he wants - so long as people are willing to give it to him.

That's the Barack Obama I know.

The ISRA is the state's leading advocate of safe, lawful and
responsible firearms ownership. Founded in 1903, the ISRA has represented
the interests of millions of law-abiding Illinois firearm owners.

WEB SITE: http://www.isra.org

11Ber
10-26-2008, 13:29
The NRA magazine Freedom First has done an excellent job of exposing B. Hussein Obama to true 2nd Ammendment supporters. My own feelings...Let him try. I would have to cite a famous Charlton Heston quote for how that would end. Molon Lobe!!!!

The Reaper
10-26-2008, 13:49
See, that is the REAL Obama, not the one running for office now.

Great article, thanks for posting.

Anyone who is not filling any gaps in their weapons collections and accumulating mags and ammo may be unable to do so down the road, thanks to Nancy, Harry, and Barrack.

The AWB will be renewed as a permanent piece of legislation, and that will be just the beginning. Firearms owners nationwide are going to be seriously impacted.

TR

Paslode
10-26-2008, 14:12
Sobering to say the very least.

A question.

So he gets into office and begins the assault on the 2nd. I can see them making ammo and new guns disappear, but how would you go about confiscating millions of weapons already out there?

Pete
10-26-2008, 14:51
... but how would you go about confiscating millions of weapons already out there?

Simple as pass a law.

Pass a law making all auto and semi auto weapons illegal. Having one in your possession is an automatic 20 years in jail. Those who obey the law will comply, the others? Well, the criminals have the courts on their side. Joe the plumber don't.

With talk radio muzzled it will be easy with the help of the MSM.

The Reaper
10-26-2008, 17:21
Sobering to say the very least.

A question.

So he gets into office and begins the assault on the 2nd. I can see them making ammo and new guns disappear, but how would you go about confiscating millions of weapons already out there?

I'd say England and Australia already showed to how to it.

You don't drop the frog into boiling water, you do it a little at the time.

"Reasonable measures." "Sensible restrictions." "Its for the children".

TR

Red Flag 1
10-26-2008, 18:09
Simple as pass a law.

Pass a law making all auto and semi auto weapons illegal. Having one in your possession is an automatic 20 years in jail. Those who obey the law will comply, the others? Well, the criminals have the courts on their side. Joe the plumber don't.

YEP!

And!

Once the conservative media is busted ( take a look at the Biden interview of a few days ago), we may have to turn to Europe for news. Hell, maybe the first Pravda will be a source we turn to. :mad:

My $.02.

RF 1

Paslode
10-26-2008, 18:36

TR

I see what you and Pete are getting at. Kind of like if you created an economic situation where you could trade in your firearms for money, put food on the table. And if you had un-registered weapons you didn't trade in, and you got caught with them you would face jail time.

A couple things I found interesting about Obama's comments on the 2nd. It was something like I won't take your hunting rifles away and I have no problem with someone protecting themselves inside their home.

It is what he didn't say that drew my interest.

And it is stated here:

http://www.truthfightsback.com/site/smear/293/

http://www.truthfightsback.com/smear/287

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/nra_targets_obama.html

I think this one says it all:
http://www.barackobama.com/issues/additional/Obama_FactSheet_Western_Sportsmen.pdf

Reasonable and Sensible.....those type people don't rob others at gun point.

Could be some ominous days ahead......Someday some of you might be knocking on my door under orders from B-Ho firmly requesting to peaceably hand over my registered toys. :(

Sdiver
10-26-2008, 20:43
I think this one says it all:
http://www.barackobama.com/issues/additional/Obama_FactSheet_Western_Sportsmen.pdf

Reasonable and Sensible.....those type people don't rob others at gun point.

Could be some ominous days ahead......Someday some of you might be knocking on my door under orders from B-Ho firmly requesting to peaceably hand over my registered toys. :(

Interesting that you should post this link. One thing that JUMPED right out at me was this.....

Obama, "Urban Policy":

Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals who shouldn't have them. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets.

I believe someone on this board already had mentioned that.....

TR

Hummmmmmmmm...........:munchin

sf11b_p
10-27-2008, 03:01
Don't have to dig far to find Obamas opinions.

In 2004, Obama said he supports a national ban on concealed carry because the states that allow it are "threatening the safety of Illinois residents."

As a state senator, "Obama regularly supported gun-control measures, including a ban on semiautomatic 'assault weapons' and a limit on handgun purchases to one a month." "Obama Record May be Gold Mine for Critics," Associated Press, January 17, 2007.

Blue Steel Democrats posted an email reply from Obama 06-2007
"I will continue to work for effective gun laws, including reinstatement of the assault weapons ban that the last Congress allowed to expire," Barrack Obama

On the Issues, gun control.

* Ok for states & cities to determine local gun laws. (Apr 2008)
* FactCheck: Yes, Obama endorsed Illinois handgun ban. (Apr 2008)
* Respect 2nd Amendment, but local gun bans ok. (Feb 2008)
* Provide some common-sense enforcement on gun licensing. (Jan 2008)
* 2000: cosponsored bill to limit purchases to 1 gun per month. (Oct 2007)
* Concealed carry OK for retired police officers. (Aug 2007)
* Stop unscrupulous gun dealers dumping guns in cities. (Jul 2007)
* Keep guns out of inner cities--but also problem of morality. (Oct 2006)
* Bush erred in failing to renew assault weapons ban. (Oct 2004)
* Ban semi-automatics, and more possession restrictions. (Jul 1998)
* Voted NO on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. (Jul 2005)
http://www.ontheissues.org/Barack_Obama.htm
http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Barack_Obama_Gun_Control.htm

Illinois State Legislative Election 1998 National Political Awareness Test

Gun Issues

Indicate which principles you support (if any) concerning gun issues.
X a) Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons.
X b) Increase state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms.

http://votesmart.org/npat.php?can_id=BS030017#826

Obama: ‘I’m Not Going to Take Your Guns Away

...So he tried again. “Even if I want to take them away, I don’t have the votes in Congress,’’ he said. “This can’t be the reason not to vote for me. Can everyone hear me in the back? I see a couple of sportsmen back there. I’m not going to take away your guns.’’’

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/09/05/obama-im-not-going-to-take-your-guns-away/

IVI-IPO 2004 US SENATE QUESTIONNAIRE – Section 1
DATE______ 1/5/04____________ PARTY: _____Democrat __________________________
NAME: _________ Barack Obama...

35. Do you support legislation to ban the manufacture, sale and possession of
a. handguns?

While a complete ban on handguns is not politically practicable, I believe reasonable restrictions on the sale and possession of handguns are necessary to protect the public safety. In the Illinois Senate last year, I supported a package of bills to limit individual Illinoisans to purchasing one handgun a month; require all promoters and sellers at firearms shows to carry a state license; allow civil liability for death or injuries caused by handguns; and require FOID applicants to apply in person. I would support similar efforts at the federal level, including retaining the Brady Law.

b. assault weapons?

Yes.

c. ammunition for handguns and assault weapons?

I would support banning the sale of ammunition for assault weapons and limiting the sale of ammunition for handguns.
http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2007/12/sweet_column_obamas_2003_iviip.html

"I am not in favor of concealed weapons," Obama said. "I think that creates a potential atmosphere where more innocent people could (get shot during) altercations."
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/search/s_560181.html

Paslode
10-27-2008, 04:43
Interesting that you should post this link. One thing that JUMPED right out at me was this.....

I believe someone on this board already had mentioned that.....

Hummmmmmmmm...........:munchin

I get PAGE NOT FOUND.

Big Daddy
10-27-2008, 07:37
As a lifelong resident of Chicago , I can assure you that if BHO wins this election, he and they will do anything and everything they can to outlaw and remove firearms from the homes of private citizens. You can take that to the bank. It has already begun here in Chicago.

abc_123
10-27-2008, 07:59
See, that is the REAL Obama, not the one running for office now.

Great article, thanks for posting.

Anyone who is not filling any gaps in their weapons collections and accumulating mags and ammo may be unable to do so down the road, thanks to Nancy, Harry, and Barrack.

The AWB will be renewed as a permanent piece of legislation, and that will be just the beginning. Firearms owners nationwide are going to be seriously impacted.

TR

Guns sales are already up.

I may add one to that number. I really wasn't planning on buying another assault wpn (i just bought a nice 1952 Tula Sks (Arsenal Refurb w/ all matching sn's) since I really don't shoot all that much and want a hunting rifle / new bow more, but now I might.

So very many bad signs about the impending train-wreck of an obama administration...

Sdiver
10-27-2008, 08:00
I get PAGE NOT FOUND.

My Bad. I meant this link you posted.....

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2...ets_obama.html

triQshot
10-27-2008, 21:30
Simple as pass a law.

No LEO will remove firearms from the homes of the American public. I have talked with some ABI, ATF, and local police officers...the same answer as come out more than once. "Time to find a new job." If they do pass a law and it makes gun owners criminals, then the ones that passed the law should be forced to remove the firearms...in person.

Paslode
10-28-2008, 01:45
No LEO will remove firearms from the homes of the American public. I have talked with some ABI, ATF, and local police officers...the same answer as come out more than once. "Time to find a new job." If they do pass a law and it makes gun owners criminals, then the ones that passed the law should be forced to remove the firearms...in person.

I would hope that would be the case, but throughout history there seems to always be a fringe element ready to make it's mark on the world or situation. There are some folks here in the US that would argue over zealous actions by LE has taken place on at least two occasions.

A good motivational speaker like Hitler, a master spin doctor like Heir Goebbels, a few power seekers like Himmler, a complacent press and an audience seeking change for their woes is all you need to get things rolling.

The Reaper
10-28-2008, 08:00

I think you are mistaken, and Randy Weaver and David Koresh, along with many others, have made that same assumption.

There is always someone who will come to do it, if the cause and price are right.

Did Hitler have a problem finding concentration camp guards?

TR

rubberneck
10-28-2008, 08:53
I would hope that would be the case, but throughout history there seems to always be a fringe element ready to make it's mark on the world or situation. There are some folks here in the US that would argue over zealous actions by LE has taken place on at least two occasions.

A good motivational speaker like Hitler, a master spin doctor like Heir Goebbels, a few power seekers like Himmler, a complacent press and an audience seeking change for their woes is all you need to get things rolling.

Aside from Randy Weaver and David Koresh (both were accused of committing felony's at the time) you have a more recent example of Law Enforcement officers forcibly disarming law abiding citizens. The City of New Orleans just entered in to an agreement to settle a law suit brought by the NRA on behalf of the people who had their lawfully owned guns illegally confiscated by law enforcement during Katrina.

If law enforcement officers were willing to illegally confiscate firearms from lawful gun owners than what makes you think that they wouldn't be willing to confiscate illegal guns held by the unlawful? Under a national handgun and rifle ban every lawfully owned gun becomes illegal and every lawful owner becomes an instant criminal they second they refuse to turn their guns in. It can and will happen. Sure there will be plenty of cops who are sickened by having to do it and a good number that will quit their jobs in protest, but history has shown us that there will be enough willing to carry out their duties that it will happen.

Defender968
10-28-2008, 09:02

No offense TriQshot, but you're wrong, my guess is the ABI, ATF and local PD officers you have talked to are folks you know who think like you do. I was a local PD officer for years and know hundreds of officers in local and Federal agencies, and while many of them do feel the way you have stated and would use that type of law selectively against folks who need to be put away forever, there are just as many who will act on the law without question or discretion, some even zealously. There are guys, believe me I've worked with them, who will arrest people for anything they can, just to get the stat. I don't agree with that type of LEO, but they exist in large numbers unfortunately. There are also many LEO's, and they tend to be young/new who take a very black and white view on the Law, and these type of cops will charge you and take your firearms if the law says they can. I can give you hundreds of examples of these types of LEO's taking people to jail for nearly no reason in my opinion, the reality is most good LEO's use a great deal of discretion, we choose when to apply the law to the max extent and when not to, but that takes common sense, intelligence, and some risk. While LEO's by far and large are good people they are not immune to society’s ills just as any other subsection in American and we have our fair share of knuckleheads, many more than you can even imagine. I could tell you stories that would turn your hair white, but I'm not going to hijack this thread.

I’ll get off my soap box, but I'll just say we all need to keep an every close eye on how Obama and his cronies do business, they silence anyone who disagrees with them, they are full on trying to bring socialism to this country, they are willing to take away your freedom of speech and our second amendment rights and if they succeed we will no longer be a citizens, we’ll be a subjects. Just my .02

kgoerz
10-28-2008, 11:32
No offense TriQshot, but you're wrong, my guess is the ABI, ATF and local PD officers you have talked to are folks you know who think like you do. I was a local PD officer for years and know hundreds of officers in local and Federal agencies, and while many of them do feel the way you have stated and would use that type of law selectively against folks who need to be put away forever, there are just as many who will act on the law without question or discretion, some even zealously. There are guys, believe me I've worked with them, who will arrest people for anything they can, just to get the stat. I don't agree with that type of LEO, but they exist in large numbers unfortunately. There are also many LEO's, and they tend to be young/new who take a very black and white view on the Law, and these type of cops will charge you and take your firearms if the law says they can. I can give you hundreds of examples of these types of LEO's taking people to jail for nearly no reason in my opinion, the reality is most good LEO's use a great deal of discretion, we choose when to apply the law to the max extent and when not to, but that takes common sense, intelligence, and some risk. While LEO's by far and large are good people they are not immune to society’s ills just as any other subsection in American and we have our fair share of knuckleheads, many more than you can even imagine. I could tell you stories that would turn your hair white, but I'm not going to hijack this thread.

I’ll get off my soap box, but I'll just say we all need to keep an every close eye on how Obama and his cronies do business, they silence anyone who disagrees with them, they are full on trying to bring socialism to this country, they are willing to take away your freedom of speech and our second amendment rights and if they succeed we will no longer be a citizens, we’ll be a subjects. Just my .02

+1. I have been in Federal Law Enforcement for a year now. I am shocked at the number of LEO'S, especially Federal that are against private Citizens owning Guns. Many of them feel that private Citizens simply have no business owning Firearms. I have attended several inter Agency training venues. The amount of anti Gun comments is scary. There are plenty of LEO'S that would enforce Gun control on law abiding Citizens.
The MSM has been silent on the issue of the 2nd Amendment this election. That is enough right there to be concerned. I may be exempt from the coming Gun bans because of my job. But that hasn't stopped me from stock piling Mags, Ammo and upper receivers for over a year now.

sf11b_p
10-29-2008, 01:27
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops…" Noah Webster, "An Examination into the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution" (1787)

"The honorable gentleman who presides told us that, to prevent abuses in our government, we will assemble in convention, recall our delegated powers, and punish our servants for abusing the trust reposed in them. Oh, sir! we should have fine times, indeed, if, to punish tyrants, it were only sufficient to assemble the people! Your arms, wherewith you could defend yourselves, are gone; and you have no longer an aristocratical, no longer a democratical spirit. Did you ever read of any revolution in a nation, brought about by the punishment of those in power, inflicted by those who had no power at all? You read of a riot act in a country which is called one of the freest in the world, where a few neighbors can not assemble without the risk of being shot by a hired soldiery, the engines of despotism. We may see such an act in America." Patrick Henry, Shall Liberty or Empire be Sought?, from a June 5, 1788 speech in the Virginia Convention, called to ratify the Constitution of the United States.

Seems fairly clear the founding fathers intent was an individual right to keep and bear arms. Reasons for it seem crystal clear.

Amazing foresight those men had, but then they had lived through those circumstances..