PDA

View Full Version : Low Ready vs. High Ready

MeC86
10-17-2008, 17:42
Low Ready vs. High Ready

Since I've been handling a firearm in my LE career, I've been taught nothing but the Low Ready and how it is far superior to the high ready. Not having ever tried the High Ready, I took this as fact and trained accordingly.

On all SWAT operations and entries, the low ready seems to be a fast and efficient way to bring your weapon onto target. However, I just recently decided to play around with the High Ready (Port Arms) while out at the range, and found it to be equally as fast, and in some instances (mainly with the handgun) faster.

I found that I could locate my rear sights, and drop my front sight post between them while squeezing off accurate and quick shots. I also discovered that one handed manipulations were easier with the weapon in the high ready (opening a door or picking something up with rifle at high ready with one hand).

I know that LE admins would favor the low ready in case of an AD (sending a round into the air in a populated environment will not be viewed favorably). Other than this, I cant figure out why it is so frowned upon.

Anyone with information on their preference and why, please respond.

kgoerz
10-17-2008, 19:28
In most circumstances you are going to have to put hands on a person. Would you rather have to free your hands off a Weapon already positioned low. Or free your hands off a Weapon your holding over your head. High ready has absolutely no advantage over low ready in any situation. Unless you want to join the Navy.

Max_Tab
10-17-2008, 20:14
In most circumstances you are going to have to put hands on a person. Would you rather have to free your hands off a Weapon already positioned low. Or free your hands off a Weapon your holding over your head. High ready has absolutely no advantage over low ready in any situation. Unless you want to join the Navy.

I disagree, there are many instances where the hi carry is preferable to the low carry. In a stack, stairs, and urban movement, are a few examples.

I am fully convinced that the main reason every one uses low carry, is safety. Most shoot houses have people on the walkway above you, and they do not like loaded guns pointed at them.

There is a time a place for everything, and each way has it's own pro's and cons. As for laying hands on someone, if you hit them with your barrel as your bringing it down your really don't have to deal with them. :D

Richard
10-17-2008, 20:30
Back in the days--I know--our brethern in Hereford and us used the 'low ready' primarily because of the physiological factors involved. Your combined body strength--if challenged in close quarters--is stronger in lifting as opposed to lowering.

Your call--I prefer the low. :lifter

Richard the FOG's $.02 :munchin

MeC86
10-17-2008, 20:48
Thanks for the input. Kgoerz makes a good point that I didn't really think about, having to drop the weapon if a hands-on situation arose.

I can also see the the benefit of the low ready in a stack (as was pointed out to me in a PM) that barrels pointed at the legs are better than barrels pointed at the head.

I just trained at a shoot house last week and can see that those watching from above would not be as comfortable if we were using the high ready.

Max_Tab
10-17-2008, 21:26
My team utilizes the high ready, in certain circumstances and if you do it right it's much faster and just as safe as the low ready.

Peregrino
10-17-2008, 21:47
Both methods have their place. If the appropriate technique is not immediately apparent (intuitive), you need more training. Personally I'm about 80/20 low-high. (I'm also lazy and low is less work/the way I "grew up". :p)

Jack Moroney (RIP)
10-18-2008, 05:51
There is a time a place for everything, and each way has it's own pro's and cons. . :D

Absolutely. There are even circumstances where different members of the same element need to be using different techniques. I get a little concerned when we get more involved with the drill than the execution and that is often driven by some safety nut on a range or some training checklist that is used for expedient grading of the event. The bottom line is that the better trained you are to deal with the actualities of the missions you expect with associated contingencies the more likely you and your troops will come out of it successfully. SOPs are nice, but common sense and the situation will dictate what you do and how you do it. Your goal is to be able to adapt and you do not adapt well if you don't explore all the possibilities and train for them. It may not look pretty, but then dead is never pretty.

NousDefionsDoc
10-18-2008, 06:25
Max,

Using stairs? Really?

I agree with Jack. However I think there should be a fall back to standard and that should be low ready.

kgoerz
10-18-2008, 06:34
I disagree, there are many instances where the hi carry is preferable to the low carry. In a stack, stairs, and urban movement, are a few examples.

I am fully convinced that the main reason every one uses low carry, is safety. Most shoot houses have people on the walkway above you, and they do not like loaded guns pointed at them.

There is a time a place for everything, and each way has it's own pro's and cons. As for laying hands on someone, if you hit them with your barrel as your bringing it down your really don't have to deal with them. :D

Mec86 is in Law Enforcement. I don't think he can knock people in the Head with his Barrel. Hands on is exactly that, Hands on. Obviously if you are pulling security, clearing a Stairwell you are going to point your weapon where it's necessary.

MeC86
10-18-2008, 07:07
I see the applications in both. Kgoers argument that dropping a barrel across someones head is not favorable, as I would not like to explain to someone why a surrendering subject needed staples in his head after complying.

What about shooting from cover.....Say over the hood of a vehicle? High Ready or Low Ready.

Horizontal Cover vs. Vertical Cover?

Love the information, keep it coming.

AmericanPride
10-18-2008, 07:31
What about shooting from cover.....Say over the hood of a vehicle? High Ready or Low Ready.

Horizontal Cover vs. Vertical Cover?

Love the information, keep it coming.

This is why you need to be switched on and have good SA. As mentioned before both have their place and usefullness. I use both, situation dependant. I do think there are a lot of people afraid of the High Ready though. Just my $.02

The Reaper
10-18-2008, 07:37
Let us not delve too far into the TTPs of our CQB programs, lest the bad guys (both foreign and domestic) find the info of benefit.

TR

Team Sergeant
10-18-2008, 09:05
Mec86 is in Law Enforcement.

And the very reason we should not mix offensive and defensive TTP's. ;)

They do not mix.

They both have two completely different rules, end states and different opponents. And Army Special Forces does not negotiate and we dont' carry "less than lethal" equipment.

Team Sergeant

MeC86
10-18-2008, 17:27
Sorry if any tactics were revealed. I understand that the LE mission is much different than the SF mission. I just wanted opinions from individuals who have extensive experience with firearms, and the reality of their application.

Many LE schools are theoretical in the use of certain tactics. I value the direction of those who have been taught a wide range of skills, and through their experience have formed what works best.

Thanks for the help....back in my lane.

Team Sergeant
10-18-2008, 18:17
Sorry if any tactics were revealed. I understand that the LE mission is much different than the SF mission. I just wanted opinions from individuals who have extensive experience with firearms, and the reality of their application.

Many LE schools are theoretical in the use of certain tactics. I value the direction of those who have been taught a wide range of skills, and through their experience have formed what works best.

Thanks for the help....back in my lane.

PM sent.;)