PDA

View Full Version : RT Vermont

gagners
10-15-2008, 16:08
After searching the board, I don't see much, if any, info on RT Vermont from CCC. A Google search brings up plenty of places to buy patches or Miller's book (ordered) and the retelling of when Miller earned the MOH, but I'd like to hear from anyone that was in RT Vermont or worked with the team.

Anyone with insight, stories, etc can send me a PM. Thank you in advance.

JSE
10-15-2008, 22:24
Go to www.onetao.com; it's Lee Burkins' personal website which contains several photos of Vermont while he ran recon under Kinnear and Miller. Also, if you haven't read it yet, go buy Lee's book, Soldier's Heart; every operation he recounts is while he was with Vermont while Kinnear was the One-Zero. In August of 1970, Lee moved over from Vermont to become the One-Zero on Colorado.

I keep in frequent contact with Lee; what exactly are you looking for?

HTH.

Max_Tab
10-16-2008, 23:34
That's a real interesting site, with some excellent pictures.

On side not, how in the world do I get one of those "walk on water" badges. I really, want one, at least while I'm deployed. (see opening page bottom row of pictures)

:D

JSE
10-17-2008, 06:43
On side not, how in the world do I get one of those "walk on water" badges. I really, want one, at least while I'm deployed. (see opening page bottom row of pictures)

If I remember correctly, SOG Headquarters in Saigon quit issuing the "Walk on Water" IDs in mid-1969 because they were being misused and slightly abused. Imagine that; bunch of hooligans, those boys were. :D

gagners
10-17-2008, 08:21
Go to www.onetao.com; it's Lee Burkins' personal website which contains several photos of Vermont while he ran recon under Kinnear and Miller. Also, if you haven't read it yet, go buy Lee's book, Soldier's Heart; every operation he recounts is while he was with Vermont while Kinnear was the One-Zero. In August of 1970, Lee moved over from Vermont to become the One-Zero on Colorado.

I keep in frequent contact with Lee; what exactly are you looking for?

HTH.

Thanks for the link, that's some good stuff.

Had a couple of questions... ie, where did the "Vermont" come from? I know they were named for different states, snakes etc, but did the state itself have anything to do with it?

Aside from the overtly curious questions, I am also heading to a Recon company and, since the stories of what these guys (SOG) did are so impressive/inspiring, I wanted to pass some of these stories onto my soldiers and cultivate and foster some of that warrior spirit that the recon teams obviously possessed. Since we're in VT, it just kinda made sense, you know?

Jack Moroney (RIP)
10-17-2008, 14:23
I am also heading to a Recon company

Congratulations on picking up the company.

gagners
10-17-2008, 17:26
Congratulations on picking up the company.

Thank you for that, sir, but with our current shortage of company grades and our upcoming deployment, I'm actually slotted as the XO right now... There were several issues at hand, not the least of which were seniority issues and the "AGR Ouija board"...

No worries, at least I'll be with the soldiers when we go downrange, not sitting in a TOC. Depending on the TASKORG, I might score another PL job... :lifter So I'm not gonna mope about it!

Thank you sir, again, for your advice. The interview went extremely well, external factors aside. I really appreciate it and it's sound advice like that that I'll keep in my hip-pocket for the future.

Max_Tab
10-17-2008, 17:40
If I remember correctly, SOG Headquarters in Saigon quit issuing the "Walk on Water" IDs in mid-1969 because they were being misused and slightly abused. Imagine that; bunch of hooligans, those boys were. :D

Imagine that SF guy's misusing something like that. It's hard to believe.

It is nice to see SF guy's are SF guy's no matter what time frame they came from.

JSE
10-17-2008, 17:56
Thanks for the link, that's some good stuff.

Had a couple of questions... ie, where did the "Vermont" come from? I know they were named for different states, snakes etc, but did the state itself have anything to do with it?

Aside from the overtly curious questions, I am also heading to a Recon company and, since the stories of what these guys (SOG) did are so impressive/inspiring, I wanted to pass some of these stories onto my soldiers and cultivate and foster some of that warrior spirit that the recon teams obviously possessed. Since we're in VT, it just kinda made sense, you know?

The teams were named randomly as far as I can tell. CCN teams were named after states and poisonous snakes; CCC teams were states only, and CCS teams were named after tools. And yes, there were a few teams at CCC and CCN that shared the same state name, and there were several state names that weren't even used.

There's some good stuff about SOG out there in the book stores but you really have to dig for some titles. Plaster's books are easy to find and they are quite comprehensive but he did get some stuff wrong, believe it or not. Lee's book isn't what I would call a motivational read, if you get my drift. His book examines the humanity of war, or the lack thereof and really forces you to question the motives that linger. It's tough to explain... Very, very profound stuff though.

Imagine that SF guy's misusing something like that. It's hard to believe.

It is nice to see SF guy's are SF guy's no matter what time frame they came from.

I think you'd like Nick Brokhausen's book, We Few. It's full of sarcasm, acts of larceny, breaking and entering, kidnapping, and all sorts of debauchery. All of that on top of running recon out of CCN in 1970; a great read.

Max_Tab
10-17-2008, 18:08
I think you'd like Nick Brokhausen's book, We Few. It's full of sarcasm, acts of larceny, breaking and entering, kidnapping, and all sorts of debauchery. All of that on top of running recon out of CCN in 1970; a great read.

I will definitely pick it up, it sounds good. My wife is convinced every single one of us is a hooligan, so I'll be able to show it to her, and say it's genetic's. :D

JSE
10-17-2008, 18:17
I will definitely pick it up, it sounds good. My wife is convinced every single one of us is a hooligan, so I'll be able to show it to her, and say it's genetic's. :D

Well, it may be tough to get a hold of a copy because Nick's publisher went out of business so I don't know where you'll be able to find one. Of course, I have one... :D

MAB32
10-17-2008, 19:03
Max_Tab,

shoot me an e-mail or a PM. I've got an extra copy.:)

gagners
10-18-2008, 18:37
The teams were named randomly as far as I can tell. CCN teams were named after states and poisonous snakes; CCC teams were states only, and CCS teams were named after tools. And yes, there were a few teams at CCC and CCN that shared the same state name, and there were several state names that weren't even used.

There's some good stuff about SOG out there in the book stores but you really have to dig for some titles. Plaster's books are easy to find and they are quite comprehensive but he did get some stuff wrong, believe it or not. Lee's book isn't what I would call a motivational read, if you get my drift. His book examines the humanity of war, or the lack thereof and really forces you to question the motives that linger. It's tough to explain... Very, very profound stuff though.

Thanks. I'll start my dig in the book stores. Thank you for your time!

MAB32
10-18-2008, 20:02
See this thread for more info on books:

www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2932

JSE
10-20-2008, 17:23
Thanks. I'll start my dig in the book stores. Thank you for your time!

You'll be able to find Plaster's stuff in the book stores, but if I were you, I'd get all of them from Amazon. They've got a slew of titles and you'll save yourself a TON of money, especially if you buy the photo books.

gagners
10-21-2008, 05:36
You'll be able to find Plaster's stuff in the book stores, but if I were you, I'd get all of them from Amazon. They've got a slew of titles and you'll save yourself a TON of money, especially if you buy the photo books.

I've read most everything of Plaster's - and paid through the nose for them...

Stras
10-21-2008, 06:06
That's a real interesting site, with some excellent pictures.

Maxtab, you mean to tell me that you still don't know how to use Power Point?? LMFAO :lifter :munchin

Great info on another book.

There is usually several items on Ebay which are SOG specific. Though it's hard to tell original patches from replicas. I've picked up several items for my collection here.

De Oppresso Liber
Stras

JSE
10-21-2008, 06:49
There is usually several items on Ebay which are SOG specific. Though it's hard to tell original patches from replicas. I've picked up several items for my collection here.

I'd be very weary about buying patches off eBay; most are post-Vietnam era and are simply reproductions, especially when they're marked for $12 BIN. They're probably still made in Vietnam but they ain't originals; same goes for berets.

I've read most everything of Plaster's - and paid through the nose for them...

If you haven't picked up Frank Greco's Running Recon, then you should definitely grab a copy. It's superior to Plaster's photo book simply because it focuses solely on CCC. I've been researching and writing about SOG and CCC for nearly seven years continuously, so Greco's book has been far more helpful to me.

gagners
10-21-2008, 07:51
If you haven't picked up Frank Greco's Running Recon, then you should definitely grab a copy. It's superior to Plaster's photo book simply because it focuses solely on CCC. I've been researching and writing about SOG and CCC for nearly seven years continuously, so Greco's book has been far more helpful to me.

Ahhh, Merci Beaucoup. I'll ask wifey for a copy as an anniversary gift (next Wednesday).

Max_Tab
10-21-2008, 11:51
Maxtab, you mean to tell me that you still don't know how to use Power Point?? LMFAO :lifter :munchin

Stras

After the Fox course that seem's all I'm good at. But I want to get issued a real one. Think of the shenanigans you could get out of with one of those. :D

JSE
10-21-2008, 18:06
After the Fox course that seem's all I'm good at. But I want to get issued a real one. Think of the shenanigans you could get out of with one of those. :D

And just wait till you read We Few; there's enough schemes and devious indiscretions in that book to keep a small-time crook busy for months. :D