PDA

View Full Version : Training Equipment Suggestions

Ferratus
05-31-2004, 22:30
For the best SFAS preparation, what size and type of rucksack would you recommend training with? It seems like practicing with an external frame wouldn't be ideal if it doesn't conform to SFAS standards, and my copy of the Prep PT doesn't include any specific suggestions on this subject. Any advice would be appreciated.

18C4V
06-01-2004, 00:14
A large ALICE rucksack (no modifications) will suffice.

The Reaper
06-01-2004, 05:43
Originally posted by Ferratus
For the best SFAS preparation, what size and type of rucksack would you recommend training with? It seems like practicing with an external frame wouldn't be ideal if it doesn't conform to SFAS standards, and my copy of the Prep PT doesn't include any specific suggestions on this subject. Any advice would be appreciated.

The issue Large ALICE and frame, with weights as indicated in the prep program.

There is no need to exceed 55 lbs. or so in training. Doing so will increase the chances of an injury and cause problems in the long term.

TR

mcd72085
06-01-2004, 08:21
So we should try not to go over 55 while training at all? I've done a few 15 milers+ with 65-86 lbs, and a couple of 5's with 95-100 lbs....should I stop these entirely?

The Reaper
06-01-2004, 09:07
Originally posted by mcd72085
So we should try not to go over 55 while training at all? I've done a few 15 milers+ with 65-86 lbs, and a couple of 5's with 95-100 lbs....should I stop these entirely?

I would say that isn't too bright.

What part of "There is no need to exceed 55 lbs. or so in training. Doing so will increase the chances of an injury and cause problems in the long term" is unclear?

We have beaten this to death here and on other websites before.

PT 31-201-SWCS lists 50 lbs. as the maximum weight. In most cases, you should not see a ruck over 65 lbs. till Robin Sage. The training value of a 100 lb. rucksack is minimal compared to the damage it will do to you in the long term. You will get plenty of practice with heavy rucks when you go on a mission with a team. Till then, work on endurance with 55 lbs.

Follow Instructions.

TR

Warrior-Mentor
06-17-2005, 17:27

Stick with 50 pounds...focus more on being able to WALK as quickly as possible. Walking a 15 minute mile is the goal to shoot for. Walking is something you can sustain. Running expends a lot of wasted energy and greatly increases your risk of injury.

As for the increased weight same thing. You'll build up to what you need. Stick with 50 pounds in a large ALICE pack. Try to get the weight to sit as high on your shoulders as possible to let you stand up straight.

Warrior-Mentor

lksteve
06-17-2005, 18:45
What part of "There is no need to exceed 55 lbs. or so in training. Doing so will increase the chances of an injury and cause problems in the long term" is unclear?i think he's missing the part where you are 35 years old with an arthritic spine because you've been running with a 75-100lb rucksack for the last 15 years is the part he's having a hard time with...just a guess...

Peregrino
06-17-2005, 19:37
Let's not forget the number of times the SWCS, SFC, or ASOC Surgeons have issued command level directives prohibiting running with rucksacks. How many times do people have to be told to follow instructions. Just because a little is good, doesn't mean more is better. If you injure yourself through stupidity, you will never get the opportunity to test your mettle in the real deal. FWIW - Peregrino