PDA

View Full Version : WTK: not sure if this is the right thread or not

prdubi
10-01-2008, 16:09
Kept trying to find in the search but failed. I am just a Army civilian here medically ineligible due to hearing loss in in one ear.

I have a long time friend, gun writer, and knife writer, Charles Karwan has passed away. I know he's a USMA graduate class of 1969 but was wondering if anyone knows of his SF stories in 'Nam. Talking with his family, they are still in grief but I am curious still on how one can find the basic information on what unit he was in and what he did.

He told some basic stories but never said much being a quiet professional he was.

It is sad he passed because I am very very sure he has some really interesting stories.

Pete
10-01-2008, 16:36
Could check some things out with these guys.

http://www.angryskipper.org/locate0b.htm

He appears to have been with 2nd Battalion, 5th Cav in 1972.

Richard
10-01-2008, 17:15
Kept trying to find in the search but failed. I am just a Army civilian here medically ineligible due to hearing loss in in one ear.

I have a long time friend, gun writer, and knife writer, Charles Karwan has passed away. I know he's a USMA graduate class of 1969 but was wondering if anyone knows of his SF stories in 'Nam. Talking with his family, they are still in grief but I am curious still on how one can find the basic information on what unit he was in and what he did.

He told some basic stories but never said much being a quiet professional he was.

It is sad he passed because I am very very sure he has some really interesting stories.

Go here and request a copy of his records. http://www.archives.gov/veterans/

Richard

prdubi
10-01-2008, 21:00
researching it further and talking with his family after the wake. They can confirm that he wasn't SF. Just was in the Air Cavalry unit and hanged around a bit longer.

The dates on it are strange. He graduated in 69 and I would surmise he did two tours in nam until 72.

He had an extensive NFA collection and after splitting it with his family...I only asked to get the STen and the Mac-10 from his collection.

The family wants the other NFA stuff.