PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Professional's Form Knife Making Company

Bill Harsey
10-01-2008, 09:33
It is my privilege and honor to announce that two Quiet Professionals, both members here, have formed a knife making company.
These recently retired United States Army Special Forces men are known here as MILDOT and mcarey.

The name of the company is Spartan Blades and they are doing some very impressive work.

Both of the men involved spent last Thursday here in this shop and then we all met up in Portland for Blade Show West where Spartan Blades did an outstanding job at the show introducing some brand new designs and processes to the entire knife world. For what it's worth, they have the full support of Chris Reeve and myself.

This is going to be an outfit to keep your eyes on.

I'll let them take it from here.

The Reaper
10-01-2008, 09:36
Excellent.

Great Americans.

Now where are the pics?

TR

MasterOfMyFate
10-01-2008, 10:27
It is my privilege and honor to announce that two Quiet Professionals, both members here, have formed a knife making company.
These recently retired United States Army Special Forces men are known here as MILDOT and mcarey.

The name of the company is Spartan Blades and they are doing some very impressive work.

Both of the men involved spent last Thursday here in this shop and then we all met up in Portland for Blade Show West where Spartan Blades did an outstanding job at the show introducing some brand new designs and processes to the entire knife world. For what it's worth, they have the full support of Chris Reeve and myself.

This is going to be an outfit to keep your eyes on.

I'll let them take it from here.

I just checked out their website, and those are some sexy knives.

Team Sergeant
10-01-2008, 10:36
You guys could put up a URL for them.....:rolleyes:;)

http://www.spartanbladesusa.com/cart/

SF_BHT
10-01-2008, 11:00
Well Congrads to them.....:D:cool:
They have a very nice line of knifes.... Look forward to seeing more.

PiterM
10-01-2008, 14:51
I had an honor to meet the guys behind Spartan Blades in Atlanta in June and take a look at the protos they had. IMPRESSIVE, that's the best word.

Guys, if I could help you in some way (maybe with some kydex ideas, who knows?) -> just let me know and I'll help as much as I can :)

Gypsy
10-01-2008, 18:39
Congrats, Gents!

C0B2A
10-01-2008, 18:53
These look great.. I'll be interested in making a purchase soon.

MILDOT
10-02-2008, 10:34
Bill,

Thank you for he kind words. We enjoyed our time spent with you and your family. We will certainly heed all your words of wisdom about the knife industry. For the rest of you out there, let their be no mistake that Bill Harsey and Chris Reeves are the real deal. Both these men are true friends of the Special Forces.

Thanks again Bill and we will talk to you soon.

Curtis V. Iovito
President
Spartan Blades, LLC
www.spartanbladesusa.com

Shans84
10-02-2008, 12:41
Beautiful blades...looks like I will be making a purchase soon.
*breaks piggy bank* :D

mcarey
10-03-2008, 13:33
To all our fellow QP's and PS readers - Thanks for the comments and support!

Attached is a info brochure detailing the three models we currently make.

We are behind on our sheaths, but are rapidly developing a modular sheath that will fit with our knives (for wear on belt and MOLLE/PALS in vertical or horizontal carry). For now we have a Kydex maker in WA making an interim solution, details and contact info under "sheaths" on our website. :o

Thanks so much to Bill Harsey, Chris Reeve and Ann Reeve's support, we will endeavor to not make to many mistakes in our new venture. ;)

Please feel free to contact us via PM with any questions.

Thanks
Mark

Claemore
10-07-2008, 14:48
Those are very nice blades. I like Erebus especially.

longrange1947
10-10-2008, 19:10
mcarey and MilDot - Thank You for the showing of your knives. I am very impressed! Excellent quality!

Your thoughtfulness in giving our Honor Grads one of your knives is excellent!

Guys, I would definitely look to owning one of these, and as soon as I can trick, uhhhh I mean, talk the old lady into it I will have one. :lifter

mcarey
10-10-2008, 22:59
Longrange1947 - The honor was ours. Thanks for the hospitality on the range today. Both Mildot and myself only think it is fitting to give each commitee a knife of their own for each honor grad.

Looking forward to getting your graphics for laser etching and seeing you at the next graduation.:D

x SF med
10-20-2008, 18:45
Any 'family discount' for QPs on PS? I'm going broke keeping the Harsey and Reeve families fed - and now you guys show up... jeez, I need to find another job to keep all of you people in business and in beer...;)

Last time I saw Bill (prior to Blade West) he was raving about your blades, usually he's just raving, period.:cool:

mcarey
10-20-2008, 21:46
For fellow QP's we will send you a discount code for online purchases. Just send me a PM, if your vetted here, than I will send you a code for the checkout cart.

NousDefionsDoc
10-20-2008, 22:51
Thank you Doc, that's very generous of you.

Any hints as to concepts for the future?

mcarey
10-21-2008, 08:11
We are going to do a folder next. We have a couple of unique tools planned too. We are just trying to get our feet planted right now and build some capital again,

speaking of that, I figured out how give group pricing discounts on our website. If you register on our website and send me a PM with your name you registered under, I will turn on the discount to come up automatically in your cart.

Thanks for all the support and kind words to date,

Mark

NousDefionsDoc
10-21-2008, 08:25
Sounds great. We'll be looking forward to them.

Sentinel
10-22-2008, 00:58
Great looking knives, nice clean designs.

Cheers,

mcarey
10-22-2008, 16:39
Thanks for the comments - Mildot and I have been asked how we make our knives, so we used our PPT RGR skills to put this together. Thanks again for all the support and kind words of encouragement to all on PS and our fellow QP's.

signedknife
10-22-2008, 18:10
Great slide show. I had a good time talking with you guys at Blade West.

Bryan

jdl141
10-22-2008, 18:37
Congratulations guys! Truly amazing and beautiful knives. I will be making a purchase soon!

The Old Guy
10-23-2008, 18:40
I called Curtis today to inquire if they had or planned on having a table at any of the functions at Fort Benning (Infantry Leaders Conference, International Sniper Competition, Best Ranger, Ranger Rendezvous, etc.) or showing up in the Atlanta area gun show.

The conversation lasted far longer than I had planned but I truly enjoyed the time. Curtis was very gracious to entertain me and answer all my questions. I registered online, got my discount and now look forward to my first purchase from them.

Curtis, thank you for taking your precious time to speak with me.

Thank you Master Bill for introducing these two young Jedi’s to the mob.

19D-CavScout
10-26-2008, 14:58
I like the design, and seeing the process really shows the level or care that goes into each blade, great work!

MILDOT
10-31-2008, 12:37
Hey Guys,

We are looking to provide a quality leather sheath for our knives as well as nylon and kydex. I'm posting some pictures here in an attempt to get some feed back on the overall design and look on the leather option. The leather will be environmently protected to resist mildew , warpage, and the other problems usually associated with leather.

We welcome your thoughts!!

Team Sergeant
10-31-2008, 12:42
Looks nice!

(I've got to get my check in the mail!):rolleyes:

Razor
10-31-2008, 21:13
Nice looking leather! Couple questions--is the short loop on the forward edge for holding a crock stick/diamond rod, and are the three levels of holes on the belt hanger for attaching a secondary securing strap at varying heights to make the sheath jumpable?

mcarey
10-31-2008, 21:50
Razor, The loop on the front can hold a small LED light, a fire stick, or a hone.
Yes the three rows of holes are meant for securing for securing to varying belt widths, for securing for jump ops or for lashing to a pack / alice / molle with 550 cord.

We plan to have it available both a black and brown option.

mcarey
11-05-2008, 16:24
A pic of our new Kydex for our knives. http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10475&d=1225923227

cold1
11-07-2008, 08:28
So thats how the big boys play.:lifter
Thanks for the slide show and best of luck.

Team Sergeant
11-07-2008, 09:55
I just bought a knife......:D

But I'm not going to keep it.;)

It's going to be part of a XMAS raffle......... starting soon.

Team Sergeant

http://spartanbladesusa.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=36&zenid=14bf0f71dfb5aa5b9b503dc65047bf0b

Stras
11-08-2008, 00:34
I just bought a knife......:D

But I'm not going to keep it.;)

It's going to be part of a XMAS raffle......... starting soon.

Team Sergeant

http://spartanbladesusa.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=36&zenid=14bf0f71dfb5aa5b9b503dc65047bf0b

Great Link...

Curtis is very good people, we did Panama Tour 89, Desert Storm Tour 91 together, he was the class behind me in the SFQC...

Hmmmn, Christmas is just around the corner, and I feel the urge for another blade..

12B4S
11-15-2008, 17:40
Fantastic looking blades guys. All the best......

longrange1947
11-26-2008, 10:37
Just a quick note to let you and the guys know that we appreciate the knives for our Honor Grads at SFSC and SFAR. Your knives are well made and the students were well impressed.

Will be by see your operation before Christmas to grab coffee and BS for a bit. :D

Bill Harsey
11-27-2008, 10:10
Just a quick note to let you and the guys know that we appreciate the knives for our Honor Grads at SFSC and SFAR. Your knives are well made and the students were well impressed.

Will be by see your operation before Christmas to grab coffee and BS for a bit. :D

Heard about this through the barley vine, Good job guys.

Longrange, make sure that shop is up to proper standards when you visit.

mcarey
11-28-2008, 13:09

Longrange - You are welcome anytime.:D

Bill Harsey - Our shop is always up to standard as we set "our" standard, just as I know your shop is up to your standard! Did you get that bearing fixed yet!:rolleyes:

Mark

modgod
12-02-2008, 10:27
Nice knives, guys. Now I have to get one to match the Caspian Arms kit I'm putting together with a PVD finish (TiAlN, dyed to match the color of carbide). Not too many people realize just how nifty those PVD coatings are ;)

Geez1234
12-14-2008, 12:47
blank

mcarey
12-16-2008, 11:28
I just got home from the Chesapeake Knife Show in Maryland. I went with the intention of only picking up a couple of Benchmade folders, but after seeing the Spartan table and checking out their products, I couldn't help taking one of them home too ;)

Very friendly people and great knives

Thanks so much for your kind words and business. I hope you are happy with your new knfe and use it well. Mark

mcarey
01-10-2009, 13:21
To all interested,

Mildot and myself will be at Shot Show from Thursday - Sunday.

We don't have a booth this year, but are going to register for a booth for 2010 in Vegas, and walk and talk with old friends.

If you need to find us, Bill Harsey can get a hold of us, or PM me.

We will have a sample of our knives with us, but we are really there to meet some dealers and have a good time.

That said, hope to see you there.

Mark:D

x SF med
01-10-2009, 18:52
To all interested,

Mildot and myself will be at Shot Show from Thursday - Sunday.

We don't have a booth this year, but are going to register for a booth for 2010 in Vegas, and walk and talk with old friends.

If you need to find us, Bill Harsey can get a hold of us, or PM me.

We will have a sample of our knives with us, but we are really there to meet some dealers and have a good time.

That said, hope to see you there.

Mark:D

Bro- you better have a whole truckload of those coins I just saw in the ad you guys took on page 67 of the Drop... Outstanding. Oh, the blades aren't too shabby looking either.:rolleyes:

mcarey
01-10-2009, 19:12
Bro- you better have a whole truckload of those coins I just saw in the ad you guys took on page 67 of the Drop... Outstanding. Oh, the blades aren't too shabby looking either.:rolleyes:

We will bring a few, so use your tracking skills and find us early! See you there.
Mark;)

MILDOT
01-10-2009, 20:29
Mr Harsey,
Nice platen you made this week. Five days till the SHOT show. We owe you a few refreshments!!! To all you other PS look us up at the show to share a cold one.

Mildot

Tobusch
01-23-2009, 09:29
I have had a chance to see two of the Spartan blades and they are no nonsense bad ass knives!!!

Thank you for showing these knives to me!!!

Bill Harsey
01-23-2009, 14:02
I have had a chance to see two of the Spartan blades and they are no nonsense bad ass knives!!!

Not bad for a couple of country boys. :D

Edited to add: Tobias, pm incoming to get you to fill out some bio here. Thanks!

mcarey
01-23-2009, 20:08

Our pleasure, hope to have you as a customer someday!:)

mcarey
01-23-2009, 20:42
Thanks to all here, especially Bill Harsey and Chris Reeves for your support, TM Sgt too.
We got our first cover of a knife mag.
I just wanted to share and point out that the SEAL related article is below ours on the cover.
It hit mailboxs and newstands yesterday in most of the country and Canada.

Tobusch
01-24-2009, 06:01
Our pleasure, hope to have you as a customer someday!:)

Maybe one day...
You are making really fine knives!

I still got your business card... :cool:

MILDOT
01-24-2009, 16:46
Bill / Team Sgt,

Good to see you all at the SHOT show as well as all the other QPs who were able to make it. Nice to put a face to some of the names.:)

Ambush Master
01-24-2009, 16:56
Bill / Team Sgt,

Good to see you all at the SHOT show as well as all the other QPs who were able to make it. Nice to put a face to some of the names.:)

Ditto here!!! It was good to see you and Mark again!! Remember, if y'all come through DFW, give me a shout and I'll link up at the gate with'ya!!

Do take care Brother and say hey to Mark!!

Later
Martin

Bill Harsey
01-27-2009, 12:51
Thanks to all here, especially Bill Harsey and Chris Reeves for your support, TM Sgt too.
I just wanted to share and point out that the SEAL related article is below ours on the cover.

Outstanding news!!! This is world record time for getting a Tactical Knives cover.

Now you have about six months left to be knocked off by Chinese knife company. :D

Team Sergeant
01-27-2009, 13:11

Way to go!;)

Team Sergeant

mcarey
01-27-2009, 14:08
Outstanding news!!! This is world record time for getting a Tactical Knives cover.

Now you have about six months left to be knocked off by Chinese knife company. :D

Way to go!;)

Team Sergeant

Thanks Bill & TmSgt! We are loking forward to the Taiwan and Chinese knock-offs, as you said, we will know we have arrived!:rolleyes:

6.8SPC_DUMP
01-27-2009, 14:33
I ordered one of your t-shirts - I'll wear it where I train.

Update: Very high quality tee shirt.:) Hopefully a knife one day.:o

x SF med
01-27-2009, 14:38

OUTSTANDING!!!

I need to order mine soon, before I have to wait as long for one of your blades as I have to wait for .308...

swatsurgeon
01-24-2010, 22:17
Meeting MILDOT and mcarey..................................$20 (to get into SHOT show)
New Horkos knife .................................................. ...................$308
Me slicing open my finger in front of them and Bill Harsey with their Horkos...............................freakin' priceless

I found my newest blade!!!

ss (still hurts!):D

C0B2A
01-24-2010, 22:21
Any chance Spartan Blades has any plans to make a folder?

swatsurgeon
01-24-2010, 22:31
ask them directly....PM would work best....I heard chatter but I was a liitle preoccupied with finger hemorrhage and applying quik clot ......;)

orion5
01-24-2010, 22:39
Meeting MILDOT and mcarey..................................$20 (to get into SHOT show)
New Horkos knife .................................................. ...................$308
Me slicing open my finger in front of them and Bill Harsey with their Horkos...............................freakin' priceless

Also priceless: watching the ever-prepared swatsurgeon patch up other bleeders in the Chris Reeve Knives booth! :D

Peregrino
01-24-2010, 22:39
....I was a liitle preoccupied with finger hemorrhage and applying quik clot ......;)

See what happens when you give away your last tourniquet! :p (BTW - Thanks)

swatsurgeon
01-24-2010, 22:43
if it came to that I figured you would help me out>>>>>>>> LOL

ss

mcarey
01-25-2010, 16:00
Swatsurgeon - Hope you are healing quickly. When you decide to pick-up an Horkos, Mildot says we will throw in some bandaids!:D

We are working on a folder...hopefully by Blade show, but likely later this summer!:)

Bill Harsey
01-26-2010, 10:11

I found my newest blade!!!

ss (still hurts!):D

swatsurgeon,
It was great to have you there at the booth and thank you for all the medical assistance.

For the record swatsurgeon gave me the short course in use of his "stop leak" but was firm in not letting me assist in treating his finger. :D

Handling very sharp knives all day long while passing and receiving them from hundreds of people inspecting them in a crowded booth results in occasional small accidents.

(also for record, I was not among those who needed medical help, this time)

frostfire
01-26-2010, 12:21
Me slicing open my finger in front of them and Bill Harsey with their Horkos..............................

Handling very sharp knives all day long while passing and receiving them from hundreds of people inspecting them in a crowded booth results in occasional small accidents.

Thanks Mr. Bill Harsey. That made me feel better.
FWIW, I, too, sliced a finger open while "testing" the T2 folder at Blade few years ago. Right in front of Ambush Master who showed me the LoneWolf booth, too! I was sneaky enough, put a stoic face, turned the hand upside down, put the bleeder in my pocket before it started dripping, and graciously handed the knife back. Either no one noticed or they thought the idiotic deed was not worth commenting. Felt like an idiot ever since. Hey, even swatsurgeon can still have an accident:D

JoeyB
03-29-2010, 06:38
Had to go to Bragg this weekend and got to stop by Spartan Blades. Mark has a very cool shop in that old barn and I had a great time catching up. Warm hospitality and cold drinks with Mark and his lovely wife. And of course I couldn’t leave without a couple new toys. Even the friend traveling with me had to pick up one of Marks great knives.
Thanks for the hospitality and pokey things Mark. :D

mcarey
03-29-2010, 12:00
Had to go to Bragg this weekend and got to stop by Spartan Blades. Mark has a very cool shop in that old barn and I had a great time catching up. Warm hospitality and cold drinks with Mark and his lovely wife. And of course I couldn’t leave without a couple new toys. Even the friend traveling with me had to pick up one of Marks great knives.
Thanks for the hospitality and pokey things Mark. :D
Joe,
No problem, I enjoyed the visit. Hope your trip went well and Bragg was better than you remember...or at least newer buildings. Mark:D

x SF med
03-30-2010, 09:12
Mark-
I'll bring plenty of bandaids to OKC... Maybe the M5 bag... tourniquets....:D

I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a "golden blade of death" today.:munchin

mcarey
03-31-2010, 10:46
Mark-
I'll bring plenty of bandaids to OKC... Maybe the M5 bag... tourniquets....:D

I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a "golden blade of death" today.:munchin
I will be bringing some of those golden blades if all goes well. You know I will always assist an SF brother! See you there. Mark

S.Gossman
04-06-2010, 12:17
Fine blades indeed. I met these gentlemen at the Chesapeake Custom knife show in 2008. A good friend owns one of their knives and is really impressed.
Scott

mangler
04-21-2010, 15:09
Had the honor to meet Mark at OKCA show this past weekend. Their knifes are top notch. All I need to do is figure out which one I need more than the others. Thanks for the viper story, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

Lee

x SF med
04-21-2010, 19:22
Great.... now there's a larger, better "Golden Blade of Death MkII" know as the Spartan-Harsey or Harsey-Spartan ... whichever, I need to save up some more coin for one, and a Horkos, and the neck knife... Thanks guys, you are a pain in the wallet, but you make good sharp pointy things...

Irishsquid
04-21-2010, 22:51
Those do appear to be some friggin' sweet blades. A little too rich for my blood, for the moment...but I'll look into picking one up when the wife tells me I have the money.

Good luck, and good work!

mcarey
04-22-2010, 09:33
Thanks for the kind comments! Back to work!:o

Les George
06-18-2010, 07:45
Nice spread in Blade Magazine this month! :munchin