PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Thunder and the WWII Memorial

ChaoticVirtuoso
05-30-2004, 18:35
I participated today and I must say it was a very sobering experience... So many veterans were there and it was an honor and priviledge to be amongst them. The memorial is beautiful as well.

The highlight had to have been when I was wandering amongst the crowd and heard a son (who was pushing his veteran Father in a wheel chair) say "So, you fought in both the Pacific and Atlantic, which side you want to see first?"

I smiled warmly for a good half-hour...

I also was asked to take a photo of a family with their Veteran Grandfather... I grabbed the camera and was happy to oblige... as I focused the camera I noticed his hat which read "U.S.S. Yorktown"... I was amazed and gladly thanked him while shaking his hand.

Good experience overall, I recommend the trip.

-CV

Radar Rider
05-30-2004, 21:43
I was on the Mall of couple of years ago when the Memorial was under construction. It looked pretty impressive even then. I will definitely make another trip back to see the finished product.

After all these years, I think that it is a fabulous tribute to the greatest generation to get the recognition that they deserve. The D.C. area has so much history covered in a relatively small area as to be mind boggling. Any trip there is definitely worth it.