PDA

View Full Version : Handi Rifle - look out deer!

abc_123
09-15-2008, 20:47
Not really a tactical thing so I put this here... AND 'Fur" is what this rifle is going to be used to bag...

Just purchased a H&R youth-sized Handi-Rifle for my 11yr old in 7mm-08 (B'day present). Mounted an inexpensive 2x7 bushnell scope on top and started him off shooting Remmington "managed recoil" rounds (140 gr).

Once I got the scope dialed and the rifle broken in.. it easily putting rounds w/i the 1'' center dot of the target at 50 yds.. 1.5" at 100. With these rounds zeroed at 150yds... you about 1" high at 50yds and 1.4" at 100. Very comparable to the ballistics of the full-power rounds but at about half the recoil.

He loves the rifle (best birthday EVER). Recoil is nowhere near excessive but it is enough for a "tough guy" just-turned 11yr old to feel like he's shooting more than a "kids" gun.

Trigger is...well... not match grade.

Nice, fun, inexpensive, gun to shoot. Truth be told, for where I live, it woudl be the only deer rifle that one would need.

Make sure you get the medium height scope rings to clear (just barely) the hammer. ;)

Team Sergeant
09-16-2008, 08:05
Pictures!!!;)

Schmalzy
09-16-2008, 08:58
abc 123,

What a great birthday present, I am sure your son is pumped. When does deer season open in your part of the country?

Schmalz

abc_123
09-16-2008, 10:01
abc 123,

What a great birthday present, I am sure your son is pumped. When does deer season open in your part of the country?

Schmalz

That's an understatement... My just-turned 8yr old is itching to go out shooting it the next time we take it out.

Urban Archery in many DC-area counties is open now.

October 1st-ish for Bow

Nov 15th -ish for rifle.

VA has convoluted laws with damn near every county having different rules. Dates flex one way or another depending on the region of VA.

I'm going out to the couple acres of woods that I have near national forest in Shenandoah county and hang a couple stands ..maybe this weekend.

We're going to be treestand hunting.

Got some climbing sticks to make it nice and easy to get into vs. my small screw in steps.

Also bought a "FALL GUY" system and a harness to keep him safe. GREAT safety device. It is basically a seat-belt type mechanism that has a D-ring on the end instead of a buckle. The idea is that you strap to the tree above your stand and then clip your safety harness into it. Start to fall and it stops you right away like a seatbelt does. Stay clipped in on the way up/down the tree. I'll hang it then climb down and hook him in and he'll be GTG.

Since my boy will be using my stand(s) I bought a "Tree Saddle" (made by Trophyline) for me this year... It's like a parachute harness with a 'seat' area that you use to strap into the tree with. No stand needed. Just climb up the tree and make sure you have steps for your feet to rest on going around the tree so you can move around and get 270-360 degree field of fire. I'm planning on climbing up and hanging in the tree behind my boy while he hunts.
We'll see how it works. Did a rehearsal in my back yard (day and night) with my son and all the stuff and I think its going to work out real well.

Good thing is that I have a place that I personally want to hunt but no good trees to hang a stand within bow range...This saddle thing will be just the ticket for that.

Pictures of the rifle coming up as soon as I can locate the digital camera. We had house-guests last weekend and in the mad frenzy of organizing prior to their arrival we got a little too organized and now can't find things.

BryanK
09-17-2008, 04:33
abc 123,

Good luck to you and your son this season. In MD, September 15th was opening day. I bagged 2 (does). My brother let me use his climbing stand. I had never used one before, but let me add that these stands offer awesome versatility in the woods. Very user friendly, and a good possible investment. Happy hunting!

abc_123
09-17-2008, 06:28
abc 123,

Good luck to you and your son this season. In MD, September 15th was opening day. I bagged 2 (does). My brother let me use his climbing stand. I had never used one before, but let me add that these stands offer awesome versatility in the woods. Very user friendly, and a good possible investment. Happy hunting!

thanks.

downsides to climbing stands:

1. relatively heavy
2. can be noisy going up
3. need nice straight tree w/o lots of branches
4. relatively expensive

they do however have their place

BryanK
09-17-2008, 06:46
Roger. I have a lot of tall oaks, and beech trees where I hunt, so I didn't think about that. Thanks for pointing out the limb problem.

Pete
09-17-2008, 07:06
...downsides to climbing stands...

It's a long way down if you fall. Since most (all) falls are unintended the landing is not very graceful. Lots of broken bones, deaths and shootings (pulling up a loaded gun on a string) around climbing stands.

Take care when you use them.

abc_123
09-17-2008, 10:14
It's a long way down if you fall. Since most (all) falls are unintended the landing is not very graceful. Lots of broken bones, deaths and shootings (pulling up a loaded gun on a string) around climbing stands.

Take care when you use them.

That's not just with climbing stands... lots of accidents with dudes either on the way up screwing in tree steps, hanging a 'hang-on' tree-stand and getting in / out of the stand prior to hooking up to whatever safety device they have (if any).

HOLLiS
09-17-2008, 10:18
Pictures!!!;)

Great idea,

Pictures would be really good. :cool:

abc_123
09-17-2008, 10:50
Great idea,

Pictures would be really good. :cool:

Finding my $300 digital camera would be a good idea too.:D

cold1
09-17-2008, 19:56
Make sure that there is a small rope connecting the seat to the foot rest. I have seen more than one foot rest fall to the bottom of the tree while the hunter is still in the seat. It makes for an interesting climb down.

Also invest in a safety harness. It is much better to be hanging in the tree waiting on your buddy than mangled on the ground.

Good hunting and lots of luck.

abc_123
09-28-2008, 17:40
I rigged up three trees on my property today. Two of which there would be no good way to hang a traditional hang on tree stand.

This tree saddle thing comes with webbing loops on either hip and a webbing safety belt (and attaching locking D ring) with a quick adjuster buckle. Today I used the tree-saddle with the safety belt while screwing in my steps going up the tree. If i were hunting it would have been a simple matter of tying my bow to me with a long cord and then once I got as high up as i needed to be simply hook in for good, remove the safety belt thing and then haul my bow up behind me and start hunting.

By the way this is the first time that I've ever used a safety strap while hanging steps and I'm already sold. Made things much easier (and safer).