PDA

View Full Version : 18x w/ Waiver

prep+opportuniy
09-15-2008, 19:10
Greetings

I am endeavoring to enlist with an 18x contract. I received a DUI a little over 5 yrs ago that I will need a civil conviction waiver to be approved iot enlist. Does a civil conviction waiver prevent someone from enlisting with an 18x contract?
Also, to better clarify my situation, gaining a security clearance will not be an issue for me. I am receiving conflicting answers on this issue from local AD recruiters. Thus, my search for truth has led me here.

I have also posted this question on goarmy forum and will recount any concrete answers if they are developed.

In addition to my question, let me take this opportunity to thank all the participants of this forum for providing such crucially important resource to those in search of pertinent information.

V/R

Jon :munchin

Surgicalcric
09-15-2008, 22:22
Have you tried the search button? There are plenty of threads discussing moral waivers and clearance issues. While they may not actually touch on your case, reading will give you an idea of the complexity of answering your question and why you are receiving mixed answers from the recruiters.

Clearances arent generally cut and dry...

Crip

prep+opportuniy
09-15-2008, 23:01
Thanks for pointing out my previously unclear statement. To clarify I currently hold a SC.

I have done research on multiple sites including this one and through multiple recruiters. I posted this question both to drum up any previous 18x experience with this issue (through PM if applicable), as well to possibly discover any resource that could provide a definitive answer.

I understand that this is not a simply a recruiting forum and don't want to treat it as such. If my thread is simply doubling down on issues that have already been driven home please pull it off the site. Thanks agian.

V/R

Jon

Team Sergeant
09-16-2008, 08:09
It depends on the severity of your crime, your age at the time, punishment etc etc etc.

If you feel strongly enough to write about it then take the next step and attempt to get it expunged from your records.

If you have had a secret for a while and that was in your records then it's not that big of a deal.

Get a lawyer and get it removed.

Team Sergeant

bricklayer
09-17-2008, 08:14
I had a DUI 1 year before enlisting and have not had a problem yet. I had the same questions and heard the same rumors. There were guys coming back from selection that were a no go for clearance because of a DUI, and guys that got selected and had a DUI. So it is a mixed bag of answers, its not worth the time to try and dig up the answers. I suggest go to selection and find out for yourself. If you dont get selected the worst that can happen is you will have to get a high and tight, go to 8 formations a day, and run in a lovely cadence every morning with the 82nd!!:D:D:D

The Reaper
09-17-2008, 08:46
In my experience, people with criminal records, even with a waiver, tend to get boarded.

One DUI, with no other alcohol related problems may have been a simple mistake.

Multiple DUIs, underage posession, public intoxication, domestic violence, etc. tend to indicate a pattern, despite the vociferous denials of the individual.

IMHO, we have plenty of problem children already, and do not need to bring more into the force, so people with these histories are usually NTRed. I have seen a lot of good SF soldiers put out of the Army due to a single DUI, even with an otherwise sterling record.

Take a hard look at yourself, and your personal issues, make your choices, and do your best.

Good luck.

TR

prep+opportuniy
09-17-2008, 10:52
Roger TS.

bricklayer,

Thanks for the first hand.
If you don’t get selected the worst that can happen is you will have to get a high and tight, go to 8 formations a day, and run in a lovely cadence every morning with the 82nd!!
I wouldn’t have it any other way.

TR,

I have chosen the path I plan on pursuing. Now it is up to me to prove that I will arrive as an asset not a liability.

V/R

Jon