PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Ranch ALICE frame

militarymoron
05-28-2004, 23:54
hey all you ALICE pack users out there,
here's a preview of the new Mystery Ranch/ Dana Gleason NICE ALICE frame and load carrier. ALICE pack compatible, and updates the frame to an internal, modern design.

http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/mystery/mystery1.html

(edited to add: the username and password are both 'mm' to view the large pics)
cheers,
MM

mffjm8509
05-29-2004, 09:20
MM,

How adaptable to the single point release is this frame for abn ops?

Also, how do I get a password to access larger versions of the pics?

mp

militarymoron
05-29-2004, 09:27
Originally posted by mffjm8509
MM,

How adaptable to the single point release is this frame for abn ops?

Also, how do I get a password to access larger versions of the pics?

mp

i'm not sure about the first question - might want to email mystery ranch to ask that one. what's needed to do that? (i'm not familiar with the requirements)

the username and password are both 'mm'.
cheers!
MM

mffjm8509
05-29-2004, 09:40
rgr...

email sent. Lets see what they have to say about it. It certainly looks like a comfortable frame.

mp

Footmobile
05-29-2004, 10:03
MM, do you know if they are going to make a slick version without the cargo carrier? I like the inovation of the cargo carrier in theory, but most guys humping a ruck are never gonna need to use it in my opinion, and it just adds extra weight...

What's it retail for?

Looks great by the way...nice job presenting it.

militarymoron
05-29-2004, 19:06
footmobile,
that frame IS the slick version - it doesn't come with the load carrier (see the top row of pics - that's how the frame comes - without the carrier). the load carrier is an add-on accessory that's purchased seperately.
retail price is yet to be decided - the mystery ranch military site hasn't gone public yet.
thanks for the kind words.
cheers!
MM

Footmobile
05-30-2004, 09:45
How much of an advantage does this frame have over the Ali Pad from HSGI in your opinion? If you could have a choice of both, which one would you use?

militarymoron
05-30-2004, 11:47
footmobile,
i've never had any personal experience with the HSGI alipad, so i wouldn't be able to answer that question.
the alipad utilizes the ALICE frame, of course, and is a great improvement over the shoulder straps and waistbelt (from general consensus from those who have the alipad) - eggroll might be able to chime in on this. but if you don't HAVE to use the ALICE frame, the NICE ALICE might be a better choice as it's a completely new suspension system, not a retrofit to an old one.
just have to wait for more reports from the field as more guys test the NICE ALICE frame out.
cheers,
MM

Capt_G
05-30-2004, 20:15
The NALICE frame and Allie pad are apples and oranges. The NALICE is a completely new frame-No more breaking like on the ALICE. The Allie is just a band-aid to make the ALICE more bearable.
Also, you should be able to rig this frame with a single-point, of course it will depend on your unit whether or not you can jump it exposed. I suggest you use a jump bag if you have them available.

Sire24657
06-02-2004, 07:34
The web site says that the frame is $219; full combo (frame and load carrier) is $259.

Sire24657

Surgicalcric
07-17-2007, 16:34
For those interested, General Jackson has the NICE frame in stock for $150.00 but only in Foliage Green (if you wanna call it green). Thought about picking one up and taking it to Sage but since I already have a ZXR, I can stand a few more weeks under the tick...

Crip

Viking
07-21-2007, 09:12
I bought one at General Jacksons a couple of weeks ago. So far I really like it. I've only done four roadmarches with it. Heaviest I went was 65 lbs and I found it to be very comfortable. The waist belt is nicely padded and has molle loops if you wanted to add a pouch or anything. I do not think it will be airborne compatible for the single point harness. My plan is either switch back to the old frame for jumps or get a jump bag. We start a new class in a few weeks so I will be under the ruck for a while logging lots of miles. If I end up not liking it I'll post it.

Surgicalcric
07-21-2007, 10:03
...I do not think it will be airborne compatible for the single point harness...

I had given thought to getting one of them as well but decided on a ZXR instead. As for jumping, I had a rigger sew a lowering line to a 7' piece of A7A and had intended on using that for the lowering line attachment by wrapping it around the ruck body under the single point. This was suggested by a JM.

Hadn't given thought to the single point not working though...back to the drawing board on that I suppose.

Crip

The Reaper
07-21-2007, 10:36
I had given thought to getting one of them as well but decided on a ZXR instead. As for jumping, I had a rigger sew a lowering line to a 7' piece of A7A and had intended on using that for the lowering line attachment by wrapping it around the ruck body under the single point. This was suggested by a JM.

Hadn't given thought to the single point not working though...back to the drawing board on that I suppose.

Crip

Any non-standard air item without an airworthiness certification can be rejected by a JM, if he wants to be a jerk about it.

Be careful about aftermarket gear, even good, pricy stuff.

TR

blue02hd
07-21-2007, 13:45
I would be interested if the waist band was cut off. I have yet to meet anyone who uses the waistband outside of Coscom. With that being said, I would never spend upwards of 200 bones on anything I would immediately cut up, and that I could not jump.

This looks like a mightmare if it were wet.