PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up....

BryanK
09-12-2008, 15:51
Wasn't sure, but this seemed like an appropriate place to post this. I have just been informed by a good friend that is a higher up in the chain of a certain gas provider here on the east coast. As of this afternoon, it was put out at a meeting that prices at not only this particular store, but gas stations all over the east coast are going to have prices upwards of $5.00 a gallon (regular) come Monday. Stocks after that if Ike damages anything in the Gulf he isn't sure if they'll have gas at all. I'm not trying to sound like chicken little, but I thought you all should know. It's not paranoia, but the removal of doubt. If I can save you guys a few bucks by this warning, that'll be worth it. So fuel up!

Sweetbriar
09-12-2008, 16:03
You do sound like chicken little.

In our city, we saw lines everywhere yesterday afternoon because crackpots on the radio and internet kept reporting the sky was falling and oil was scarce. The local oil companies said they just wanted to wait for Ike to blow over before buying gas so they could keep their prices at pre-Ike levels until something actually happened.. as opposed to every chicken in town squawking about what might happen.

Now, nothing has happened til yet, other than the local crackpots artificially jacking up the price of gas because there was a run out of fear.

Thanks a lot....idiots.

HOLLiS
09-12-2008, 16:42
Nothing here, I think prices are down from last week.

Edit to add, I just checked.

Monday it went down to $3.65 from $3.75

Today, $3.55.

per gallon.

Defender968
09-12-2008, 17:00
You know we had the same nonsense rumor mongering announced at 1700 on the radio, this A@#Hat DJ announced he'd heard the rumor! Now let that sink in HE SAID HE HAD AN UNCONFIRMED ROUMOR, about $5.00 a gallon gas, which he spread at peak listening time to the thousands of people on the road coming home from work! Guess what happens when you make that announcement, every Tom, Dick, and Harry stopped on the way home and filled up, hmmmm, so there's a run on the pumps, what does that cause, a self fulfilling prophecy, the price went up 30 cents at some stations. You know what, the gas in Texas is still at $3.29 a gallon and the storm is going to hit THERE! BryanK no offense to you, I know you're trying to warn people, but the DJ here I'd like to punch in the throat for being a blabbermouthed idiot. :mad:

msgec
09-12-2008, 20:41

nmap
09-12-2008, 21:24
The EPA seems to think there is a problem. They've just issued emergency gasoline content waivers to 11 states. LINK (http://www.epa.gov/compliance/civil/caa/fuelwaivers/)

And then there is the issue of the refineries that have been shut down. Some reports suggest a 17% reduction in gasoline production; others show higher numbers. Here's a link to a chart that shows the oil infrastructure in the area: LINK (http://www.theoildrum.com/node/4510)

Here's a map of Texas city. I hear none of the facilities are higher than 9'. LINK (http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=12&Z=15&X=392&Y=4062&W=3&qs=|galveston|tx|)

Of course, if actual shortages are perceived, hoarding behavior will begin.

Interesting times.

HOLLiS
09-12-2008, 22:29
Is this a localize issue in the areas where Ike will hit?

ZonieDiver
09-12-2008, 23:14
70% of the gasoline that comes into Phoenix, comes from Texas through El Paso by pipeline. Estimates today were that up to 75% of that amount could be curtailed. Supposedly there will be an increase in the amount we receive from the LA area.

Perhaps the USA should investigate new refineries in areas not so prone to disaster... Yuma, AZ for instance - with a pipeline for crude from the Gulf of California!

Pete
09-13-2008, 03:16
Drove up to Boone yesterday to pick up Daughter # 2 for the weekend. Gassed up arounf 0700 in Fayetteville at $3.59 - stations were running from $3.59 - $3.69.

On the way up noticed the highest around Wilksboro (?) at $4.17. Boone seemed to mostly be around $3.99.

Coming back had to go through downtown Greensboro to pick up one more. Saw a station with $4.49 while one down the street had $4.19.

A couple of stations here and there had yellow bags on all their pumps handles.

Got back to Fayetteville and it seemed like waiting lines at all the stations. 1 -2 cars behind each one at the pumps. Oh well.

The Sanford area appears to have fairly steady prices and be a few cents lower than others. About on par with the discount stations in the Fayetteville area.