PDA

View Full Version : Elbow Fluid

JumpinJoe1010
09-09-2008, 14:48
My situation is as follows. I have fluid in my right elbow. There is no pain in movement, but somewhat tender to the touch. I noticed it about two days ago, and have been doing approximately 25 pull-ups, and 150-200 pushups a day, taking Sunday off.

I read on Web MD it could be Bursitis (olecranon), but the fluid does not feel warm.

I am looking for advice since I would rather not go to the Doc, but will if that is the the opinion given here.

The Reaper
09-09-2008, 16:13
I think you need to see your Doctor.

TR

JumpinJoe1010
09-09-2008, 16:32
I think you need to see your Doctor.

TR

Thanks for the reply TR. I'll call and make an appointment.

Eagle5US
09-09-2008, 17:16
He'll probably stick a needle in it, drain it and send the fluid off for culture and cell count. Additionally, if it happens more than once, I generally inject a little kenalog (steroid) into the bursa to assist in decreasing the inflammation.

The bursa is SUPPOSED to have fluid in it - sometime when you are over-working it or bumping it a bunch, the fluid build increases in order to fool the body into thinking it is being "lubricated" or "cushioned" more. In reality, you look like you have a tumorous growth trying to escape your body.

In the short term it is little to worry over...but follow TR's advice.:lifter

Eagle

JumpinJoe1010
09-09-2008, 19:18
He'll probably stick a needle in it, drain it and send the fluid off for culture and cell count. Additionally, if it happens more than once, I generally inject a little kenalog (steroid) into the bursa to assist in decreasing the inflammation.

The bursa is SUPPOSED to have fluid in it - sometime when you are over-working it or bumping it a bunch, the fluid build increases in order to fool the body into thinking it is being "lubricated" or "cushioned" more. In reality, you look like you have a tumorous growth trying to escape your body.

In the short term it is little to worry over...but follow TR's advice.:lifter

Eagle

Thank you for the reply Eagle. Rest the elbow is in order, along with a doctor visit. :lifter I'm kinda curious about draining the elbow and watching the fluid come out. :D

Defender968
09-09-2008, 22:36
I've had a similar issue, my bursa swelled up about the size of my fist and had to be drained. In my case it was after playing indoor soccer, I'm a goalie and bouncing the elbow off the ground on a dive caused it to swell up. The doc drained it and I haven't had an issue since. Mine did not feel warm and wasn't particularly painful, but it did feel much better after being drained. I hope things go as smooth for you. Good luck.

The Reaper
09-09-2008, 23:14
Not a Doc, but when my elbow did that, it was hot to the touch, and it was cellulitis. I was deployed on a solo mission, requiring me to go to the farmacia and ask for Dox, which cleaned it up pretty quickly.

Make sure that the Doc takes a good look at it and does all required tests when he treats it.

TR

JumpinJoe1010
09-10-2008, 07:13
I wasn't to concerned until I read about infection. I just hoped the fluid would go away. Thanks again for the feedback. :)

Doczilla
09-10-2008, 19:44
Distinguishing inflammatory bursitis (more common) from septic bursitis (less common) can be challenging. The basic rules are that septic bursitis comes with redness, particularly that indurates the skin and spreads beyond the border of the bursa. Fever, chills, vomiting, and a general "unwell" feeling will often accompany septic bursitis, but would be unusual for inflammatory bursitis.

Gout is something else to consider, and it is often indistinguishable from septic bursitis without aspiration. If there is family history of gout, it should be on the differential diagnosis list.

Emergent treatment for a single episode of inflammatory bursitis encompasses the usual musculoskeletal stuff: rest, ice, compression, elevation, and NSAIDs like ibuprofen or naprosyn. I don't inject for a first time episode, but with recurrent or refractory bursitis, this is an option as Eagle5US said. Aspiration or injection should be avoided in clear cases of septic bursitis.

'zilla

JumpinJoe1010
09-22-2008, 20:31
An update is in order for my elbow. The care I received was second rate, but here is what has happened.

I had an appointment for the local tmc to look at my elbow on 12 September 08. The doctor looked at my elbow, and agreed it should be drained. For some reason he couldn't do it that day, and sent me to another doctor down that hall that scheduled me for the following Thursday, 18 September 08.

After resting my elbow for nearly two weeks at this point, the swelling was reduced to nearly nothing at the elbow. During the follow on appointment, the doctor determined that my elbow did not need draining. :rolleyes: She gave me a wrap to apply pressure on the elbow, which would help complete forcing the fluid out of the affected area.

I am giving it another week, to ensure that the area does not become aggravated again, and extend my healing time.

In the end, I wish the doctors would have taken a sample to ensure there was no infection. But, all is well that ends well.