PDA

View Full Version : Another coup on the way in Thailand?

Slantwire
09-03-2008, 15:59
I've been able to get a little news, but not much. Can someone in the AO (or with better google-fu) provide more information?

Here's the condensed version of what I have been able to find:

After the military coup in 2006 that ousted Thaksin Shinawatra ("Square Face"), the army held / allowed elections to put together a new government. Thaksin's party, the People's Power Party, reclaimed the majority and Samak Sundaravej, took over as prime minister. (I've seen Samak described as Thaksin's protege. I don't know how accurate that is.) Thaksin is now in the UK to avoid corruption charges in Thailand.

Now the Election Commission is calling for the PPP to be dissolved for electoral fraud. Opposition type are denouncing several government actions: attempts to change the Thai constitution, certain political appointments, and a territorial dispute with Cambodia over an ancient Khmer temple site.

A large chunk of opposition has formed the People's Alliance for Democracy. The PAD is demanding Samak's resignation, staging an ongoing sit-in at Government House, blocking traffic and a few airports, and threatening massive strikes until the PM quits. (Plus threats against certain media outlets?)

A countering pro-PPP group, the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship, has taken to the streets as well. The PAD and UDD have clashed in recent days, with a handful dead and a few dozen injured.

Samak has declared a state of emergency, giving the police and military wide latitude to maintain order, as well as trying to shut down a lot of internet sites.

The head of the army and the head of the Bangkok police seem to both be declining the emergency authority - both have said they won't send troops to the street with firearms. Riot gear, shields and batons at most. Last I saw, the major PAD and UDD groups are separated with the police and army keeping them separate.

Can someone provide some unbiased commentary? Is the current government more corrupt than a typical one? Is the PAD actually a "people's movement," or are they more fringe? What exactly is the UDD? (To my uninformed eye, it reads like a vigilante group - isn't it supposed to be the police facing down a protest group?) Does the police / military refusal to play hardball on the streets suggest a political stance? Has the king said anything yet?

For anyone actually in Krung Thep, what's the situation really look and feel like? I can't tell if the whole city's gone nuts or if there's three city blocks of mess getting over-reported.

hoot72
09-16-2008, 07:44
Its not as bad as it seems. The media have a habit of making things a lot worse than it is especially when it comes to Thailand; most thai's are used to military coups and I was just there a few days ago for a little RNR and everything is just peachy.

Albeit the less than normal number of tourist, business is going on as usual although there def. is a big impact on business as there are far less tourist and business people visiting Thailand unlike the norm when pat pong, and nana are packed with expats and so forth...

The current government in power is essentially an "elite" group of rich families who are essentially part of Thaksin's political party and have the support of the farmers and poorer thai's in the rural district.

The opposition of sorts are made up of professionals and middle class income (educated!) individuals who are hell bent on ending corruption (yes, its quite bad in Thailand, especially if you have to do business and need government permits or licences..its so blatantly obvious) and want an end to the cronism.

I wouldn't get to worried with what you are hearing in the media. As I said, its business as usual for 99% of thai's and they have been through this more than a dozen times in the last 15-20 years so its nothing new for them.

The police and military are not getting involved in putting down street protests because they are essentially tied to the King, who is much revered in Thailand and respected and their loyalties are to him and not the politicians as one would think....

They implement the law and keep the peace, etc etc but when it comes to getting involved in politics, other than the coup we saw a year or so ago when they over threw the Thaksin government, they are keeping well clear of any violent protests or getting involved in this mess and letting the courts make whatever decisions need to be made with regard to the great "cooking show" scandal involving the just disposed Prime Minister.

And, as you may have heard yesterday, Thaksin's brother in law has just been nomiated and appointed as the new Prime Minister. I don't know if this will appease the opposition so time can only tell...

Team Sergeant
09-16-2008, 07:58
It's time for one as far as Thailand goes...... about every 10 to 15 years they decide to have a coup.:rolleyes: It gets bad and then the King says "ENOUGH" and it ends.

Make no mistake, in Thailand the King still rules the country.

TS

Slantwire
09-16-2008, 08:17
Its not as bad as it seems. [...] I was just there a few days ago for a little RNR and everything is just peachy.

[...]

its business as usual for 99%

Seems to jibe with what I've heard since I initially posted. Thanks for the update!

Richard
09-16-2008, 15:27
I was there in '73 and wound up in the middle of an unscheduled change of government by student radicals--threw out General Kitakachorn and put in a professor from Chulalongkorn University. Took about 3-5 days before things went on pretty much as before. While waiting to see what would happen, we stayed put and acted neutral as hell. In Thailand, the government changes and things generally settle back down PDQ--as long as nobody messes with either Buddha or the King.

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Slantwire
09-17-2008, 07:31
as long as nobody messes with either Buddha or the King.

Well, that's the continuing problem in the south, isn't it? Not related to the parliament-of-the-month in the capital, though.

hoot72
09-18-2008, 04:49
Well, that's the continuing problem in the south, isn't it? Not related to the parliament-of-the-month in the capital, though.

I am of the opinion this really (the problems with the south thailand bordering malaysia and the state of kelantan) have nothing to do with religion; its really an issue of poverty and a lack of funding and opportunities (or rather a lack of self-purpose to want to succeed in business or enterprise) by the minority muslim population, who, unlike their neighbours next door in Kelantan are doing far better and have better opportunities.

I don't want to say the catalyst of the problems have entirely to do with economics but add to the mix a number of individuals who are not. necc. thai or malaysian who are hell bent on causing problems and using religion as an issue, and the fact they are training these militants in extrodinary terrorist techniques (remote detonator bombs using mobile phones) and radical ideologies (de-capitation of unbelievers and non muslims) and ambush's of police and para-military units and its clear to see this isn't an issue of wanting atonomy but rather a growing islamic fundamentalist threat with indonesians largely reponsible.

Someone is obviously funding this militancy and supplying both weapons and bombing materials and training.

Go to bangkok and you will see mosque's and women with "tudungs" including arabs who have settled in thailand; thai's are notoriously famous for being tolerant of people of other races and religions and have no problem, in my humble opinion, with muslims.

But the muslims are making an issue out of it, albeit, a small minority with a little help and influence from foreigners.

Peteyboy
06-05-2011, 14:31
I have looked at some NEWS articles about Thailand latly and they have mentioned Red Shirts mostly but also Yellow Shirts, who are these two groups?

hoot72
06-08-2011, 03:35
I have looked at some NEWS articles about Thailand latly and they have mentioned Red Shirts mostly but also Yellow Shirts, who are these two groups?

One represents the farmers and lower class workers in the rural area's of Thailand. The other represents the middle class workers in the cities who are against corruption and the very people elected by the farmers and lower class workers.

And both sides don't see eye to eye on 99% of issues.

BKKMAN
06-08-2011, 11:04
This site gives a decent introductory rundown on the two factions, although since it was written in FEB 2009, it doesn't contain salient information about what occurred during the last 2 years:

http://www.thaizer.com/politics/who-are-the-yellow-shirts-and-red-shirts/

This BBC link cursorily covers the crackdown on the Red Shirts in Bangkok, during which several people were killed:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13294268

This is a decent article by the Independent which was written after the Bangkok crackdown:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/red-shirt-v-yellow-shirt-thailands-political-struggle-2057293.html

This is a pretty good article on the current state of affairs in Thailand and the Red/Yellow camps:

http://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/pongsudhirak4/English#comments

No matter what, I still love spending time in the Kingdom...

Peteyboy
06-08-2011, 13:44
Sooooo it's kind of like if Republicans and Democrats started fighting each other here. Maybe not a perfect example but is that basically the situation?

Slantwire
06-08-2011, 14:11
Sooooo it's kind of like if Republicans and Democrats started fighting each other here. Maybe not a perfect example but is that basically the situation?

If one of the two parties had been declared illegal by the Supreme Court, with most of its party leaders barred from politics for systemic corruption. Then, yeah, kinda.

Peteyboy
06-08-2011, 14:54
How can you outlaw a party? that sucks I see why there is alot of fighting. I feel like this whole thing wouldn't be like this if they just made the two parties and did election stuff that way like we do here, one term it might be a red shirt the next it might be a yellow. Although things might not be that simple:confused:

Slantwire
06-09-2011, 07:00
How can you outlaw a party?

I'm not sure of the exact legal status, but I believe the Mafia, Bloods, Crips, MS-13 and Zetas are all outlawed in the USA. Basically, their high court decided that the organization was systemically involved in illegal activity, to an extant that it met some legal criteria. But I don't claim to be a legal expert, in the US, Thailand, or anywhere else.

if they just made the two parties and did election stuff that way like we do here, one term it might be a red shirt the next it might be a yellow.

IIRC, one of the major indictments of Thaksin was that he was using government money to buy re-election votes. I think the election legitimacy was a factor in September 2006.

Peteyboy
06-09-2011, 14:53
I'm not sure of the exact legal status, but I believe the Mafia, Bloods, Crips, MS-13 and Zetas are all outlawed in the USA. Basically, their high court decided that the organization was systemically involved in illegal activity, to an extant that it met some legal criteria. But I don't claim to be a legal expert, in the US, Thailand, or anywhere else.

hmmmm never would of thought as those guys as political parties, more like Gangs, punks, and criminals. Although if we are going to follow that line of though I believe another "Party" Congress outlawed was the KKK.

Slantwire
06-10-2011, 07:26
hmmmm never would of thought as those guys as political parties, more like Gangs, punks, and criminals. Although if we are going to follow that line of though I believe another "Party" Congress outlawed was the KKK.

That's what I mean. My (possibly faulty) memory says that the court decided that Thaksin's organization was more criminal than political. If you really want a better-informed perspective, see if you can get Magician onto this thread.

Peteyboy
06-10-2011, 13:41
Ok I see what you mean, although if these organizations are more criminal then political. I feel like military shouldn't of gotten involved with the coup.

hoot72
06-19-2011, 23:37
Ok I see what you mean, although if these organizations are more criminal then political. I feel like military shouldn't of gotten involved with the coup.

You under-estimate how much influence the Thai Military have in just about every social and economic aspect of every day Thais. The military are very very powerful politically and financially.

They essentially decide who stays and who doesn't stay in office. Not the politicians.

Peteyboy
06-21-2011, 12:56
So everytime the military doesn't like someone there is a coup?, or they just have so much influence with the people ect.. that most of the time the person they don't like is out?

incarcerated
06-22-2011, 00:22
How can you outlaw a party? that sucks

Until the late-1990s, it was illegal in the State of California for a member of the Communist Party USA to hold public office. After several fits and starts, and a major alteration of its language, the Democrat dominated state legislature passed SB 1535, which repealed portions of the old WWII era Rationing Act:

ftp://leginfo.public.ca.gov/pub/97-98/bill/sen/sb_1501-1550/sb_1535_cfa_19980622_111105_asm_comm.html

SB 1535
Page 1
Date of Hearing: June 23, 1998
Consultant: Dia S. Poole
ASSEMBLY COMMITTEE ON PUBLIC SAFETY Don Perata, Chair
SB 1535 (Kopp) - As Amended: April 30, 1998
SUMMARY : Repeals outdated laws pertaining to the dismissal of a public employee who is a member of the Communist Party and laws concerning counterfeiting government ration checks. Specifically, this bill :
1) Deletes a provision that allows for the dismissal of a public employee who is a member of the Communist Party.
2) Repeals legislative findings relating to the clear and present danger of a world communism movement that threatens the State of California….

hoot72
06-23-2011, 01:45
So everytime the military doesn't like someone there is a coup?, or they just have so much influence with the people ect.. that most of the time the person they don't like is out?

Something like that.

My recollection is that there have been 23 coups in Thailand but I could be wrong.

Thanksin (the former prime minister of Thailand) is in exile and now his sister is standing for elections (on his behalf?).

God knows whats next once the elections finish.

Thailand is one of those very strange "democracies" where a beautiful and magical country with wonderful people is turned upside down the minute politics comes into the fray.

tonyz
07-04-2011, 07:15
3 July 2011
Last updated at 12:52 ET
Thailand: Yingluck Shinawatra wins key election

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14004755

Excerpts:

The party allied to ousted and exiled ex-leader Thaksin Shinawatra has won a major victory in Thailand's general election, provisional results show.

With most votes counted, outgoing Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has conceded victory to his rival, opposition leader Yingluck Shinawatra.

Ms Yingluck, who will become Thailand's first female prime minister, said there was "a lot of hard work ahead".She is the younger sister of Thaksin Shinawatra, ousted in a coup in 2006.

With 92% of votes counted, Ms Yingluck's Pheu Thai party had won 260 seats, giving it a majority in the 500-seat parliament.

Analysis
Karishma Vaswani

BBC News, Bangkok

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yingluck Shinawatra is a political novice. Her popularity has largely rested on the fact that she has been selling her brother's policies.

Mr Thaksin, speaking from self-imposed exile in Dubai, has said he wants to return to Thailand but will wait for the right moment.

Analysts say his return would aggravate the already tense political situation.

It could be a potentially destabilising factor, making it harder for the new government to get on with its task of reuniting this divided nation and healing Thailand's wounded democracy.

Thailand's troubles
Sept 2006: Army overthrows government of Thaksin Shinawatra, rewrites constitution
Dec 2007: Pro-Thaksin People Power Party wins most votes in election
Aug 2008: Mr Thaksin flees into exile before end of corruption to trial
Dec 2008: Mass yellow-shirt protests paralyse Bangkok; Constitutional Court bans People Power Party; Abhisit Vejjajiva comes to power
Mar-May 2010: Thousands of pro-Thaksin red shirts occupy parts of Bangkok; eventually cleared by army; dozens killed