PDA

View Full Version : Jogging and Diabetes....

MAB32
09-03-2008, 08:53
I have a question for all the "Docs" here.

Recently, my Endocrinologist discussed with me my "Carbing Up" before I go and run. What I mean by "Carbing up" is to have my glucose at around 200 - 250 immediately before I work out. His response was to me that if that is what I have to do before running and getting plenty of exercise, than just don't let your glucose level stay that high for very long. I then asked him if I would be or was doing any harm to my kidneys or my self in general. He really didn't know and stated that the jury may be out on that one. So what do you all think about me "Carbing up" before exercise as a Type 1, "Adult Onset" Diabetic? Do any of you think I am doing anything wrong, possibly? :confused:

Oh, by the way, my glucose after finishing 6 miles is approximately 90-125. This is dependant on temperature and humidity levels too.

I really need some advice here guys as I have an autoimmune disorder that caused the Diabetes, asthma, allergies, and Celiac Disease that I now have. They think it could hit the Kidneys next.

Thanks!

Doczilla
09-06-2008, 10:53
If I understand this correctly, you have type I diabetes after autoimmune destruction of the pancreatic beta cells, and therefore an insulin deficiency. I wanted to clarify that because you mentioned "adult onset", which is a term traditionally used to describe type II diabetes, a disease of insulin resistance rather than deficiency. (Since we now have fat 10 year olds developing type II diabetes from too much couch time, and adults such as yourself developing type I diabetes from various causes, we've gotten away from the terms "adult" and "juvenile" diabetes, but I wanted to be clear.)

Carb loading before intense exercise is appropriate, particularly considering that your BGL is in the normal range at the end of the exercise. Your hemoglobin A1C is most indicative of the average glucose level in your bloodstream over the last few months, and gives the best idea of how tight your glucose control is. A brief elevation in blood glucose is fine as long as your hgbA1C stays in the normal range.

'zilla

MAB32
09-06-2008, 14:59
Doc:

My first A1C test this year was a little high according to the Doc. He said that maby we will have to trade off for a little higher A1C in exchange for better eating and exercise (especially). Yes, mine is the result of an Auto Immune Disorder as I have Celiac Sprue also. What do you think.

AF Doc
09-06-2008, 17:32
Doc:

My first A1C test this year was a little high according to the Doc.

Firstly, let me say that I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

I agree with Doczilla here. The occasional, temporary, elevated blood glucose as you describe above is not likely to be a problem. The key to managing diabetes is good glucose control.

Testing your Hemoglobin A1c level is the best way to measure your effectiveness in doing so--it's sort of a snap shot of your average blood glucose over the past few months. But if your A1c is higher than your Doc would like, it sounds like you need to stay on top of your fasting and post-prandial glucose measurements as well. Your blood sugar may run a bit higher than you think.

Exercise and dietary consistency should help improve your glucose control and, in turn, your A1c. Test yourself. Keep a log and track your response to food, exercise, and insulin. Sounds like you have started doing so already--keep up the good work.

Best wishes!