PDA

View Full Version : Pectoralis tear

Goggles Pizano
08-25-2008, 07:10
In the gym the other day and I am benching. Have 245lbs on the bar and while pressing up I feel in my left pec what can only be described as a rope quickly coming apart under stress. Yell to spotter to take the weight and immediately grab an ice pack from trainers. ER doc states (without MRI) that after checking range of motion and strength he believes left pectoralis major tear. The minor is fine and the tear in major is not complete. Awaiting appointment with Ortho this week.
My question is not of treatment but recovery. Has anyone had a similar injury, what was your recovery time length, and did you do anything different [unique] to strengthen the muscle?

Doczilla
08-25-2008, 11:17
You wouldn't need an MRI to diagnose this, but it will be needed by the orthopedic surgeon to fully define the tear prior to surgical intervention.

In the case of a complete tear, treatment is surgical, and recovery to full strength takes months with appropriately incremental physical therapy. Unfortunately, 100% recovery to return to serious weightlifting often does not occur.

'zilla

Goggles Pizano
08-25-2008, 11:56
Thanks Doc.

Red Flag 1
08-25-2008, 17:19
In the gym the other day and I am benching. Have 245lbs on the bar and while pressing up I feel in my left pec what can only be described as a rope quickly coming apart under stress. Yell to spotter to take the weight and immediately grab an ice pack from trainers. ER doc states (without MRI) that after checking range of motion and strength he believes left pectoralis major tear. The minor is fine and the tear in major is not complete. Awaiting appointment with Ortho this week.
My question is not of treatment but recovery. Has anyone had a similar injury, what was your recovery time length, and did you do anything different [unique] to strengthen the muscle?

I am sorry to hear of your injury!!

Do you think you'll head to Christiana for surgery if needed? Know a few folks there.

Maybe in your Conv. Leave we can hook up at Spoonies @ The Dewey Beach Club!!!!

I guess you should talk to your Doc about saving your breast implant :D:D:D

Jim

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-25-2008, 21:54
the incomplete tear is bundles of fibers shredded beyond use. As long as the tissues are connected along the bundle, they will heal.
as stated complete tears will require surgery to reattach. Rehab is going to take 8 to 12 weeks for soft tissue to heal enough for you to start any rebuilding operational strength.

The attached muscle can be exercised but lightly and let pain be your guide . Pain means the injured material is being reinjured...Stop.
Maintain your range of motion in the shoulder but don't stretch when the injured tissue issues a pain warning.
There iis a method of rehabing using very low weight but with very high repetitions. this can be done after soft tissue phase of healing. If you rush the process you can reinjure the muscle, keep it inflamed, build greater scar tissue in the muscle.
I recommend a good Physical Therapist before an Orthopedic visit. A good PT can diagnose your condition and treat in many states without a doctors referral. Many states have what is called "Direct Access". A good PT will refer you to a Physician if it needs surgery. Good Luck on your recovery. Don't be a muscle head, go slow and read your pain.. Blitz:lifter

Goggles Pizano
08-26-2008, 07:09
the incomplete tear is bundles of fibers shredded beyond use. As long as the tissues are connected along the bundle, they will heal.
as stated complete tears will require surgery to reattach. Rehab is going to take 8 to 12 weeks for soft tissue to heal enough for you to start any rebuilding operational strength.

The attached muscle can be exercised but lightly and let pain be your guide . Pain means the injured material is being reinjured...Stop.
Maintain your range of motion in the shoulder but don't stretch when the injured tissue issues a pain warning.
There iis a method of rehabing using very low weight but with very high repetitions. this can be done after soft tissue phase of healing. If you rush the process you can reinjure the muscle, keep it inflamed, build greater scar tissue in the muscle.
I recommend a good Physical Therapist before an Orthopedic visit. A good PT can diagnose your condition and treat in many states without a doctors referral. Many states have what is called "Direct Access". A good PT will refer you to a Physician if it needs surgery. Good Luck on your recovery. Don't be a muscle head, go slow and read your pain.. Blitz:lifter

Roger that Blitzz. Ortho appt is today. For my own peace I'd like an MRI just to confirm extent of the injury. I have full range of motion with pain when raising left arm above shoulder height-however not intense. 4 days out and minimal bruising, none on chest wall-all on top of left bicep just below shoulder. Swelling subsiding/Ibuprofin is my only med. I'll need a referral for PT with my insurance. No worries about the musclehead mindset-after knee surgery three years ago I appreciate the "take her slow" approach to rehab!

Hey RF I have weekends off next month, let me know if you will be anywhere near the DBC!