PDA

View Full Version : An honorable award

Gypsy
08-17-2008, 17:52
Most of you here know I'm a big supporter of our Military, for years I've been doing what I can by sending packages and letters and basically doing anything I can to show my support. And most of you also know I kind of prefer the behind the scenes position...or the "gray man" as it were. Well, I'm pretty excited about something so I'm coming out with a story. :D

In November '06 I was recruited to stand up and lead a Family Readiness Group for a local ILARNG unit here (106th CAV, 2nd Sqd, C-Troop) A friend was in the Troop at the time and recommended me to the CO...we hit it off and I accepted the challenge.

Fast forward to the fall of 07. With an upcoming deployment looming within a year it was decided by higher ups that the FRG leader should be the "significant other" or spouse to a Soldier in the Troop. I guess perhaps they didn't have a whole lot of luck with civilians in that role... Anyway I wasn't offended, the 1SG's wife took over (she was my right hand anyway) and I accepted the secretary position that was offered to me.

Yesterday we had a MOB meeting for the families then the deployment ceremony, and following that the FRG hosted a picnic at the Armory for about 300+ people. It was an incredible event...emotional too, and although I'm not in a personal relationship with any of the men it's a difficult thing to know they are going into harm's way.

In March I accidentally found out that the 1SG's wife had recommended me for the Honorable Order of the Saint Joan d'Arc recognition and medallion. (see link below) It was to be given to me at the Ball in March...but didn't arrive and honestly I had kind of forgotten about it. Well at the picnic yesterday, guess who got called up in front of the whole group to receive her framed commendation and medallion?

Yep. Me...all bedraggled from replenishing the food line (and damn, those guys and their families can eat! :D ) after having balled my eyes out at the ceremony. Started me up all over again.

If I can figure out how to block out the faces/name tags of the CO and 1SG I'll post a picture.

Here's the link re the award: http://www.usarmor-assn.org/joanofarc.aspx

And I know wiki isn't always the best info source, but this is out there. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_St._Joan_D'Arc_Medallion

So, whilst a bit out of character for me, I guess I'm bragging a little. It's just that I'm so very honored to have my name added to the roster along with other women who have been inducted into the Order of Saint Joan D'Arc.

Ultimately I'm even more honored that I have the priviledge to serve the men (and their families) who protect me and our Country.

Godspeed Men, we'll see you when you return!

Pete
08-17-2008, 18:02
FRGs need all the help they can get.

Way to go. They think highly of you.

PS - Pssst, we do to.

Gypsy
08-17-2008, 18:11
FRGs need all the help they can get.

Way to go. They think highly of you.

PS - Pssst, we do to.

Aye, some are really bad with infighting from what I've heard. Something about the women wearing their man's rank....never a good thing. Then again I've never been one for titles etc. The families are the ones that suffer and so do the folks deployed, wondering if those they left behind will be ok. We don't have that problem here and have a strong bond between all of us on the board...been that way for 2 years now and none of us will allow anything less.

Awwww! Thanks Pete...I am quite fond of all of you. ;)

SF_BHT
08-17-2008, 18:17
Congrads. It is a great award for those that support the force.

CoLawman
08-17-2008, 18:36
Congrats Gypsy! You must be beaming with pride, as you should be. What an honor for you! Your adopted "family" is very fortunate to have someone who is so dedicated! WOW!!!

ZonieDiver
08-17-2008, 19:18
Gypsy,

It ain't braggin' if you really did it! Thank you very much from the bottom of MY heart. You did what you did out of honest concern and caring - with no "upside" to you. That is the heart of what really needs to be done in this country in so many areas. Again, thank you very much!

Sdiver
08-17-2008, 19:20
MSCP,

I've told you this before, and I'll tell you again......YOU'RE THE BEST !!!! ;)

Congrats to you, Kiddo. :lifter

RTK
08-17-2008, 19:21
The Honorable Order of Saint Joan d'Arc is one of three honors we, in the Armor and Cavalry communities, bestow upon others.

The Order of St. George is for Armor and Cavalry types who have distinguished themselves and their branch.

The Noble Patron of Armor award is for those not of the Armor or Cavalry branches who make a significant impact upon our branch.

The Honorable Order of St. Joan d'Arc is what we award our family members and spouses who have sacrificed so much to support us in all we do.

It's a great honor. Congratulations!

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-17-2008, 19:33
Congratulations!! Terrific job!

jatx
08-17-2008, 20:09
Good job, Gypsy!

Gypsy
08-17-2008, 20:35
Gypsy,

It ain't braggin' if you really did it! Thank you very much from the bottom of MY heart. You did what you did out of honest concern and caring - with no "upside" to you. That is the heart of what really needs to be done in this country in so many areas. Again, thank you very much!

I really did it! :D Actually my upside is the happiness I get from knowing I make a difference.

Thanks everyone. :)

Ambush Master
08-17-2008, 20:48
CONGRATULATIONS LADY!!!

Do take care.
Martin

Penn
08-17-2008, 21:40
Gypsy,
I just read your post. I have tears in my eyes. I am so happy for you. It takes great effort over a along period of time to be committed. You have done that; and without ever expecting to be called forward. Bask rightly so in the honor of protecting what we once did, and those who are doing so now, are freedoms. You, in what you consider is a minute participation, is in fact the backbone of our society. For all of us, and those that are not here, thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

The Reaper
08-18-2008, 04:29
Congrats!

Well-deserved!

TR

gagners
08-18-2008, 05:32
FRGs play such a vital role when soldiers deploy - especially in the Guard, where a whole community's worth of citizens may be leaving. They tend, however, to turn into a rumor mill, a clique, and generally a burden to some of the wives/husbands involved.

The fact that you were inducted into the HOSJD (Being a CAV guy, I agree with RTK - it's a big deal) means that you proved to everyone that your efforts were for the soldiers and their families, not for you.

I learned in college that success is measured in service rendered; to God, to country, and to mankind.

You, ma'am, are a success. Well done. :lifter

Rogue
08-18-2008, 06:25
Congrats!

greenberetTFS
08-18-2008, 10:34
MSCP,

I've told you this before, and I'll tell you again......YOU'RE THE BEST !!!! ;)

Congrats to you, Kiddo. :lifter

I completly agree......:D

Kyobanim
08-18-2008, 10:51
Congrats, Gypsy!

PSM
08-18-2008, 11:27
Congratulations, Red! ;)

Pat

JJ_BPK
08-18-2008, 11:58
So, whilst a bit out of character for me, I guess I'm bragging a little.

It's just that I'm so very honored to have my name added to the roster along with other women who have been inducted into the Order of Saint Joan D'Arc.
Ultimately I'm even more honored that I have the priviledge to serve the men (and their families) who protect me and our Country.

And you deserve it,, Congratulations...

Red Flag 1
08-18-2008, 13:53
Congratulations Gypsy!

A simply grand award for a grand lady!

Jim

echoes
08-18-2008, 17:16
Gypsy,

Congradulations!!! Am in awe of you, as always!;)

You are a true example of a Patriot!:)

Holly

Gypsy
08-18-2008, 18:41
Y'all are going to make me cry again. Chef Penn I hope you didn't tear up into anyone's food today....what with people watching their salt intake and all. ;) :D

Thank you everyone for such kind words, it means a lot to be able to share this with such a great group of people.

Gypsy
08-18-2008, 19:06
Here's a couple of pictures.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
08-18-2008, 19:16
Congrats, Gypsy! A Great Job!!

That said,

I'm wondering about the Color Guard Picture! (I know picky — picky) :D

1.) Why are not the rifle 'people' not at present arms? (Everybody else is!)

2.) Why does the person on the left (As you view the picture.) not have the M-1s trigger guard in the hollow of the shoulder, like the person on the right, who is correct for 'right shoulder arms?'

:munchin

Sdiver
08-18-2008, 20:25
Why does the person on the left (As you view the picture.) not have the M-1s trigger guard in the hollow of the shoulder, like the person on the right, who is correct for left shoulder arms?

Ummm Trip.....isn't that RIGHT shoulder arms, they are at?

Yeah I know....Picky....Picky :D :D :munchin

sg1987
08-18-2008, 20:36
Congrats Gypsy.

Surf n Turf
08-21-2008, 19:54
Gypsy,

Congradulations

SnT

Gypsy
08-22-2008, 18:05
Congrats, Gypsy! A Great Job!!

That said,

I'm wondering about the Color Guard Picture! (I know picky — picky) :D

There's always something... :D Trip, I honestly don't know...

Thanks Gents. :)

Red Flag 1
08-22-2008, 18:18
Thanks for the pics!

Again, congratulations.

Well done!!

Jim

uscav_scout
08-22-2008, 19:39
What a small world. Thank you for your help. I wish I could say my unit's FRG was that good...... But I am glad to hear my Cav brethren down the chain are being taken care of!!

Thanks Again!!

Richard
08-22-2008, 19:46
Ya done good, Gypsy!

Richard's $.02

LongTabSigO
08-22-2008, 20:09
Absolutely outstanding.

Those fraternal orders are important awards. They don't just dole them out.

Congratulations..:lifter

Gypsy
08-22-2008, 21:10
What a small world. Thank you for your help. I wish I could say my unit's FRG was that good......

I'm sorry to hear they aren't. Well, if you get yourself deployed and need anything just give a shout.

Thanks again, all!

Monsoon65
08-23-2008, 14:58
Outstanding work and congrats!!! You've earned it!

Team Sergeant
08-23-2008, 16:44
Great job Gypsy!

Team Sergeant

(I missed this thread!)

Shar
08-23-2008, 18:21
Congratulations Gypsy!! I kinda got teary reading all the love and support. You totally deserve it. I wish all units had great ladies like you around willing to help out in the FRG's. They are important organizations that are definitely suffering from some combat fatigue. People like you make all the difference for everyone.

Gypsy
08-24-2008, 08:17
People like you make all the difference for everyone.

Shar, I do it for families like you. And yes, the Soldiers too...hoping they know their loved ones will be in good hands while they are away. It's one of the best way I know to give back.

Went to a going away party for the 1SG last night. When I left he gave me a big hug, said thanks for everthing and thanks for what you'll do for us all when we're gone. Made me cry, the big oaf. ;) :D