PDA

View Full Version : Good food on the go? Suggestions.

Dub
08-09-2008, 18:56
When I was in college the dining hall was excellent and I lived off of that for four years, and when I was training hard and building muscle I loved the all you can eat and varitey of healthy foods to choose from.

At grad school the hospital cafeteria just ain't the same and to get what I need I have to pack my own lunch. I am starting to train and lift hard again and looking for suggestions of easy to prepare foods that I can throw in a lunch pail that will keep until I eat them. I need something substantial enough to fill me up and healthy.

Anyone here have some good ones?
Sometime I rotate between taking canned tuna in olive oil + some stir fried veggies and a power bar or a chicken breast instead of the tuna.

I get a giant bag of frozen chicken breasts from costco, a giant bag of frozen veggies from costco and that lasts for a bit, but is kinda mind numbing after a while.

some whey protein after hard workouts too.

Paslode
08-09-2008, 19:11
When I was competing (cycling) I always had Fig Newtons and PowerBars on hand....Rice cakes too. Lots and lots of pastas. Nuts, Trail mxes, cold pizza.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-09-2008, 19:19
Let me get this straight. You are studying to be a medical professional with access to all sorts of nutritional information and you are coming to this site for nutrition recommendations. Very interesting, strange, but interesting-looking for a second opinion already:D

Dub
08-09-2008, 19:41
I just wanted to see what other people are packing when they are training- looking for variety.

Red Flag 1
08-09-2008, 19:51
Dub

During your training you may hear the same advice I did.

Eat when you can, sleep when you can, and leave the nurses alone!

I found I spent about two years straight in the hospital during my residency; many on this site have spent more. I survived on hospital chow. I was amazed just what I could pack into lab coat pockets and paper bags for later. I got sick of the food, but not sick on the food.

You should have all the knowledge you need to maintain a healthy diet.

What would you suggest to a patient with this same question?

RF 1

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-09-2008, 19:54
I just wanted to see what other people are packing when they are training- looking for variety.

I know lad, I'm just pushing your buttons:D I look at food as fuel, the variety doesn't matter as long as the octane rating is correct for the engine.

Dub
08-09-2008, 19:59
Point taken.

RF-1- Good points, I do not mind at all just scarfing down hospital food all day, but while I still have the time and am training hard I figure I will do my best to eat well. I lost a lot of muscle last year and want to get it back.
I do know how to eat nutriontally well and could pass that knowledge on to a patient, although I am usually trying to eat as much as possible.

Have a good night all, I am out.

Air.177
08-09-2008, 20:06
Uncle Ben's is now offering Ready Made rice in Microwaveable pouches. They run about $1.75 each, and somewhere between 400 and 460 Calories for the entire pouch. They are available in a wide variety of flavors and varieties, some with other whole grains in them. I have been mixing one of these pouches with one of the Small-midsize foil packets of tuna and eating half around Noon and the other half around 3 or 4 in the afternoon but the whole thing is not half as bad as a big mac calorie wise.

The foil packs are easy to carry, and eliminate the need for a plate or bowl if you are in that much of a hurry. They are not bad for you, relatively inexpensive, and there are enough variations in flavors of Tuna and flavors of rice, that you can mix it up pretty well.

Throw in some Chipotle Tabasco sauce or the hot sauce of your choice, or even Italian dressing and you can mix it up more.

Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but between this, Fresh fruit, and all u can drink coffee at work I've been hangin in there.

Good times,
Blake

Razor
08-09-2008, 20:54
Peanut butter with a slice of American or Cheddar cheese on whole wheat is a good protein source. I've also developed a taste for dry roasted edamame you can buy at Costco for between meal snacks.

mdb23
08-09-2008, 21:28
I live on sweet potatos and chicken breasts, green beans (not the canned ones), peanut butter, and apple wedges.

Boring as hell, but it works.

bluebb
08-09-2008, 21:41
Mcdonalds

MVS2
08-09-2008, 21:45
-PB with sliced fruit on wheat/wholegrain
-Cottage cheese
-Bowl of oatmeal with a load of honey and almonds or pecans plus some blueberries
-Goya bean burritos with sour cream and salsa
-Powerbar Harvest strawberry crunch bar

Sdiver
08-09-2008, 21:47
Peanut butter with a slice of American or Cheddar cheese on whole wheat is a good protein source.

WHOA !!!!
I thought I was the only one who liked this type of samich. Nice to know, there are other "freaks" out there. :D

Dub,
Do you have access to a refrigerator at work? If you do, great. If not, than this works just as well. Those frozen Michalangello and Lean Cuisines are good for a boost. I've taken those to work with me a few times.

I stock up on them, and keep them in my freezer, then I just throw one in my lunch bag and keep it in the truck with me. By the time I get a break to eat, they're somewhat thawed out, and heat up quickly. I also pack along an apple or banana, or some other kind of fruit.

One thing that we see a lot of, in our EMS/ER lounges, and seem to be very popular with crews are, those Uncrustables. Those pre-made PB&Js. They are great for a quick "boost". Again, just keep them frozen at home, and throw them in a bag for later. By the time you want something, they're unfrozen.

Another thing we're seeing, are those "Mac and Cheese" cups. You can keep those in a bag, add a little water, "nuke" it for a couple of minutes, and you've got a fairly filling, quick meal.

Dub
08-10-2008, 10:39
Sdiver,
I have no fridge to use at school, and very limited freezer space in the dorm fridge.

I have picked up a few more ideas from this thread.

Thanks.

To help anyone else, another thing I will do sometimes if I am feeling like cooking is to cook a bunch of stuff up on Sunday and portion it out into 5 tupperware containers and put them in the freezer. That gives me lunch all week, just nuke them at the lounge.

WHOA !!!!
I thought I was the only one who liked this type of samich. Nice to know, there are other "freaks" out there. :D

Dub,
Do you have access to a refrigerator at work? If you do, great. If not, than this works just as well. Those frozen Michalangello and Lean Cuisines are good for a boost. I've taken those to work with me a few times.

I stock up on them, and keep them in my freezer, then I just throw one in my lunch bag and keep it in the truck with me. By the time I get a break to eat, they're somewhat thawed out, and heat up quickly. I also pack along an apple or banana, or some other kind of fruit.

One thing that we see a lot of, in our EMS/ER lounges, and seem to be very popular with crews are, those Uncrustables. Those pre-made PB&Js. They are great for a quick "boost". Again, just keep them frozen at home, and throw them in a bag for later. By the time you want something, they're unfrozen.

Another thing we're seeing, are those "Mac and Cheese" cups. You can keep those in a bag, add a little water, "nuke" it for a couple of minutes, and you've got a fairly filling, quick meal.

BMT (RIP)
08-10-2008, 11:09
No one has listed MRE's or old C-RAT'S!! ;-((

BMT

VVVV
08-10-2008, 11:31
Uncle Ben's is now offering Ready Made rice in Microwaveable pouches. They run about $1.75 each, and somewhere between 400 and 460 Calories for the entire pouch. They are available in a wide variety of flavors and varieties, some with other whole grains in them. I have been mixing one of these pouches with one of the Small-midsize foil packets of tuna and eating half around Noon and the other half around 3 or 4 in the afternoon but the whole thing is not half as bad as a big mac calorie wise.

I buy Uncle Ben's Ready Whole Grain Medley in the microwavable pouches (8.5oz) at Costco. The box contains 2 each of the following pouches : Santa Fe (brown rice, red & white wheat, black beans, corn peppers, cilantro & seasonings); Vegetable Harvest (brown rice, carrots, barley, bell pepper & lentils, seasoned with herbs and spices); Brown & Wild (brown rice, wild rice, red rice, seasoned with herbs and spices) Each pouch has (about 2 cups) 220 calories (25 from fat) zero sat or trans fat. They take 90 seconds on high in the microwave to heat up. I usually eat them with cut up chicken breasts that I had previously grilled on the BBQ. I think they cost about $6.00 for the six pack.

VVVV
08-10-2008, 11:42

BMT

I'll trade you a Ham & Eggs, Chopped for a Beans and Wieners!

Paslode
08-10-2008, 15:25

BMT

True. I keep MRE's in the truck for a quick snack or lunch....less than $5.00, better than McD's, mighty tasty and pretty filling.

Bananas, Apples and Oranges are good carry items as well.

MtnGoat
08-10-2008, 15:33
Dub,

So what are you looking to get from your eating?? Bulking, cutting; is this for weight lifting?? Are you looking at just daily eating while you are out and about or food on the go eating.

This will drive what your looking to eat or buy. Well at least for me.

VG

Dub
08-10-2008, 15:58
MtnGoat,
I am eating now to add bulk, I am weightlifting along with other pt so I am eating a high calorie and high protein diet -I was looking to see what other folks on this site that are doing lots of pt/strength and conditioning work are eating when they are running around all day, working/studying/training and do not have access to their home kitchen. A lot of us probably eat crappily so I think it is a valid topic.

Some good suggestions so far, I had not heard of the uncle ben's ready rice packs and think they look like a good easy source of carb., They do have a ton of sodium in them however, a whole pack = 80% of your sodium.

Gypsy
08-10-2008, 17:04
Some good suggestions so far, I had not heard of the uncle ben's ready rice packs and think they look like a good easy source of carb., They do have a ton of sodium in them however, a whole pack = 80% of your sodium.

Make your own brown rice/bean concoction when you're cooking your meat for the week. I am not in school, and I still make up a bunch of chicken, pork chops (center cut and trimmed of fat) etc on Sunday and then make veggies fresh every day. Next to never will I eat prepared foods. I did find one thing I kind of like, Turkey meatballs...seasoned Italian style. You'll find them prepackaged in your fresh meat section of your grocery store. The brand name is Honeysuckle White. They are very tasty to eat with a veggie or with pasta and gravy (red sauce).