PDA

View Full Version : Northward Bound

Distorted
08-02-2008, 17:07
Inspired by http://zreportage.com/TRAIN/TRAIN_Results1.shtml

You are tasked to aid in the study of central american migration patterns by performing a migration yourself. You are dropped by parachute (starting altitude sufficient to allow you to get an idea of your immediate vicinity) into an unknown part of Guatemala, in the middle of the jungle, your goal is to reach your current position within the US. You have an 'emergency' phone number, but the Border Patrol does not know you're coming.

You may not take advantage of your status as an American citizen.

The difficulty is variable:

Easy: You have as much prep-time as you need, may take anything you want (including currency), start in a specific but remote location, and may place people along the way to collect information and offer assistance, but if you take too long to prep, they'll give the job to someone else.

Medium: You have two hours to prep, and have been given some names, locations, and phone numbers.

Hard: You have whatever is on your person right now.

Nightmare: You are bonked over the head and wake up as you're being booted out of a helicopter into a clearing, wearing a hawaiian t-shirt, shorts, and pair of flip-flops.

Optional Challenge: Your wife is two-months pregnant and wants to go, in the same conditions you're given.

How's your Spanish?
Can you do it?
What do you take?
How much will it cost
How do you plan to make it home?
What do you look for on the way down, and how does seeing it affect your immediate plans?
What kind of problems do you expect to face, and how will you deal with them?
How long will it take?

Additionally, what do you think is in this guy's backpack, and how are his chances of success? http://www.zreportage.com/graphics/TRAIN/highres/002.jpg

Some notes (much more is probably needed): Guatemala has some of the worst malnutrition rates in the world, Mexico's rural areas are significantly more dangerous criminal-wise than its' cities, and there is real danger of freezing to death in parts of the US border.

frostfire
08-03-2008, 19:02
sounds like The Gatekeeper

Something just ain't right with this thread

SF_BHT
08-03-2008, 19:23
He is trying to get us to come up with a better way to infiltrate our borders.:confused:

Hell we know how to do it. It is up to them to figure out how to do it. We are not going to help with any more Illegals getting in. Yes I said ILLEGALS. They are not Immigrants, they are breaking our laws.

This should be a thread about setting up Hide sites to catch criminals coming over the border.:munchin:D:lifter

cold1
08-03-2008, 19:39
Just curious since all of my knowledge of OCONUS comes from National geographic.

Isnt it possible in this senario to keep to the jungles/woodlands and never see another human being?

SF_BHT
08-03-2008, 20:28
Just curious since all of my knowledge of OCONUS comes from National geographic.

Isnt it possible in this senario to keep to the jungles/woodlands and never see another human being?

No. Shit I have been in the middle of the Andie's and the Amazon and run into people. As you head for those natural routes due to terrain you will run into Humans. You may be out there for a day or two but people are all over the jungle up there. Head to where water is running and follow a stream to a creek to a river you will find people. You may not see someone that is 500 meters on the other side of a Thick patch but it may be hiding a major trail that they use.

Down in Panama during training we thought we were out in the black hole of the jungle and up pops a couple of kids. They made good runners for cold drinks and fresh bread. Use your G Assets.

frostfire
08-03-2008, 21:34
He is trying to get us to come up with a better way to infiltrate our borders.:confused:
That, and this just makes no sense to me:

You are tasked to aid in the study of central american migration patterns by performing a migration yourself. You are dropped by parachute....

If you figured out your own ingineous way to infiltrate the country, then what/whose migration pattern exactly would be observed?!??!

SF_BHT
08-03-2008, 21:40
That, and this just makes no sense to me:

If you figured out your own ingineous way to infiltrate the country, then what/whose migration pattern exactly would be observed?!??!

That is why he is called Distorted......:p

Distorted
08-03-2008, 22:54

Hell we know how to do it. It is up to them to figure out how to do it. We are not going to help with any more Illegals getting in. Yes I said ILLEGALS. They are not Immigrants, they are breaking our laws.

This should be a thread about setting up Hide sites to catch criminals coming over the border.

I agree wholeheartedly. It goes without saying (I thought) that inventive ways of crossing the US-Mexico border don't need to be posted here, but the rest of the trip is probably fair game. It's meant to be a difficult-sounding and realistic infiltration problem that involves traveling over a long distance on foot, through difficult physical and human terrain, making use of available assets as you encounter them.

With my limited field experience and knowledge, I am not especially confident in my ability to make the trip, and wondered how QPs and people who actually know what they're doing would approach the problem.

The key words in the OP are 'aid in', this is meant to make you think of yourself as part of a larger effort to find and close holes in the border, like the hackers at the pentagon who test the security of US systems. By finding 'ingenious' methods of crossing, and reporting them, they can be closed...or seeded with hide sites :lifter

Down in Panama during training we thought we were out in the black hole of the jungle and up pops a couple of kids. They made good runners for cold drinks and fresh bread. Use your G Assets.

And the rural areas of Mexico have a reputation for crawling with narcos and bandits, so it's far from an easy trip in human-terrain terms. How would you interact with fellow migrants? Would your attitude towards them change as you got closer to various borders? Would you try to recruit and build a team of Gs, or would you go it alone? How would you orient yourself to your new, unfamiliar surroundings?

cold1
08-04-2008, 09:06
No. Shit I have been in the middle of the Andie's and the Amazon and run into people.

Damn. :eek:
I would not have guessed it. I have been in remote parts of South Georgia, on the back roads and have not seen another vehicle all day before. I would have thought the "Big world little people" rule might apply to those remote locations.

Thanks for the INFO.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-04-2008, 09:14
Read the damn title of this thread!!! It is called Special Forces Fieldcraft not how to conduct a RAT Line for Illegals. This thread is closed.:mad: