PDA

View Full Version : Taliban making a comeback...?

Taktiq
07-31-2008, 09:15
I recently finished Jawbreaker by Gary Bernsten and have previously read First In, both about the CIA's teams in Afghanistan. The authors mentioned quite often how the Afghans (NA and Taliban) would routinly switch sides when they felt it was in their best interests. I'm sure we've all seen the news reports stating how the Taliban have trying to make a comeback.

I wonder, do you guys who have spent time in-country there feel that the habit of people shifting alleigances is affecting this (the Taliban resurgence) significantly? In other words, do you feel the ones who surrendered or defected and came over to fight with the NA have just jumped the fence again allowing these guys to begin making a comeback?

jatx
07-31-2008, 09:32
Check out Koran, Kalashnikov and Laptop by Giustozzi.

Taktiq
07-31-2008, 12:18
Check out Koran, Kalashnikov and Laptop by Giustozzi.

Hey thanks for the heads up on the book. I'll definately be checking that one out ASAP. In the meantime, do any others who've been over there have any opinions on this subject?

jatx
07-31-2008, 13:30
Do you seriously expect people from this community to opine on the question just to satisfy your idle curiousity? Unless I read your profile wrong, the open source material that I pointed you towards should be more than sufficient. :rolleyes:

Taktiq
08-01-2008, 07:26
Do you seriously expect people from this community to opine on the question just to satisfy your idle curiousity? Unless I read your profile wrong, the open source material that I pointed you towards should be more than sufficient. :rolleyes:

While I do understand what you're saying, I'm a firm believer in the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked (unless it's the same question repeated a billion different ways). I didn't see it posted anywhere else (possibly in a different form that I missed), and didn't think the question was of a sensitive nature so, I asked away. With all due respect sir, I expect nothing here. It was just a simple question only geared toward those who felt comfortable in discussing it with those of us who haven't BTDT. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm more than happy to have the material you mentioned pointed out to me as I wasn't aware of the book (again, thank you) but, it's not available at the library currently and I can't afford to buy any new books at this point. So, if anyone here wishes to opine on the matter, great. If not, fine. But, it doesn't hurt to ask.

jatx
08-01-2008, 09:21
Links to a couple of summaries:

http://www.opendemocracy.net/article/conflicts/democracy_terror/neo_taliban

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2008/04/mil-080426-rferl01.htm

Taktiq
08-01-2008, 11:13
Links to a couple of summaries:

http://www.opendemocracy.net/article/conflicts/democracy_terror/neo_taliban

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2008/04/mil-080426-rferl01.htm

Wow! Very eye opening from what I've had the chance to skim over thus far. I'll definately be making it a priority to save up for the book you mentioned. Thanks.

JJ_BPK
08-01-2008, 12:00
Hi TakTiq (did I pronounce that right??)

I am a very junior addition here,, but if I could be so bold as to suggest??

You are in a room, sitting on a chair, in a circle, with 99 complete strangers.

In your lap is a sheet of paper with your bio and a pair of very blunt tip scissors.

Biography: I like to stick things up my nose because I theorise they go to an as yet undiscovered dimension...

Please cut out the 5-10 word phrase that best describes you and paste it on your forhead...

I am sorry to be blunt, but I, as one of the other 99 people in the room, read bio's... On personal reflection, you may want to word-smith yours..

Welcome aboard...

Taktiq
08-01-2008, 12:33
Hi TakTiq (did I pronounce that right??)

I am a very junior addition here,, but if I could be so bold as to suggest??

You are in a room, sitting on a chair, in a circle, with 99 complete strangers.

In your lap is a sheet of paper with your bio and a pair of very blunt tip scissors.

Please cut out the 5-10 word phrase that best describes you and paste it on your forhead...

I am sorry to be blunt, but I, as one of the other 99 people in the room, read bio's... On personal reflection, you may want to word-smith yours..

Welcome aboard...

Haha...I was wondering how long it'd take before someone mentioned what I wrote. Actually, I'm always at a loss as to what to say in those bio sections. I currently work at a juvenile group-home and one day, a resident asked me what I did for fun (among other info they try to weasel out of all the staff...ie, where you live, what car do you drive, etc) and that's what I told him.

ZonieDiver
08-01-2008, 13:05
While I do understand what you're saying, I'm a firm believer in the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked (unless it's the same question repeated a billion different ways).

You are obviously NOT a high school teacher, are you?
(Students come back on Monday! Stupid questions start soon after.)

Taktiq
08-01-2008, 13:13
You are obviously NOT a high school teacher, are you?
(Students come back on Monday! Stupid questions start soon after.)

Luckily no. I don't think I could handle that job but, then again, I currently work with kids who have conduct disorders or are sex offenders so, I guess you culd say we're in the same boat.

jbour13
08-01-2008, 13:31
As their is still an ongoing effort by my fellow Soldiers to give the enemy dirt naps and help the Afghan people take care of Afghan problems, I will only say that there is plenty of information available on the internet to make a valid assessment to the state of the insurgency.

Hey thanks for the heads up on the book. I'll definately be checking that one out ASAP. In the meantime, do any others who've been over there have any opinions on this subject?

Yes I have my opinions, no I will not share with anyone that doesn't need to know.

Tell you what, join, get a clearance and I'll be more than happy to train you up. :D

Don't always take what you read for face value. Let it be known that the Quiet Professionals and Troops throughout the militaries are taking the fight to the enemy, and a great deal of what is done by them is making measurable contributions to the safety, security and good governance of the Islamic Rebublic of Afghanistan.

Good luck and happy reading.

SSG B

Taktiq
08-01-2008, 14:03
As their is still an ongoing effort by my fellow Soldiers to give the enemy dirt naps and help the Afghan people take care of Afghan problems, I will only say that there is plenty of information available on the internet to make a valid assessment to the state of the insurgency.

Yes I have my opinions, no I will not share with anyone that doesn't need to know.

Tell you what, join, get a clearance and I'll be more than happy to train you up. :D

Don't always take what you read for face value. Let it be known that the Quiet Professionals and Troops throughout the militaries are taking the fight to the enemy, and a great deal of what is done by them is making measurable contributions to the safety, security and good governance of the Islamic Rebublic of Afghanistan.

Good luck and happy reading.

SSG B

I try take everything I read with a grain of salt. As I said, if no one wishes to share, no problem. I do understand you guys have most likely very valid reasons but again, it never hurts to ask.

Good luck to you guys out there taking the fight to their doorsteps like they brought it to ours.

bailaviborita
11-28-2008, 11:35
I don't think there is a Taliban resurgence.

dirt_diver
11-28-2008, 13:54
Taktiq,

I would take what the news is saying about Afghanistan with a grain of salt. In addition, research some of the actors in the area as well as the drug issue. All of that information in the open source should give you a decent idea of what is going on. The key is to analyze what you read and ask yourself if the actions would sound reasonable to you if you were in the other guy's shoes.