PDA

View Full Version : Goals for Boys

jatx
07-29-2008, 10:12
I have a new Godson who shows great potential for becoming a handsome, intelligent little devil. If it is possible to be sentimental before the fact, I am. In that spirit, I have started a list of things a young man should know how to do before being let loose on the world. Here is a starter list, in no particular order:

Drive a standard transmission
Pilot a light aircraft (thanks TR)
Render first aid (to include penetrating trauma and starting an IV)
Sail a small boat without assistance
Shoot “Expert” with both rifle and pistol
Survive alone in the woods for one week w/ one day’s rations and whatever gear can be fit in pockets
Compose a poem in Latin
Offer a proper toast
Make a completely inappropriate toast
Ask a girl out without feeling nervous
Make people laugh at will
Deliver a eulogy
Prepare a balanced meal for the family w/o using the grill
Swim like a fish
Be able to discuss his favorite Bible passage
Develop a pleasant singing voice and the ability to read music
Extract concessions and/or compliance from hostile individuals w/o becoming angry
Read a contract and suggest appropriate revisions
Leave Dallas for NYC with no more than $100 cash; arrive within seven days with $500 cash w/o begging or committing a crime
Mix a drink for a lady
Train a dog
Fold the Flag properly
Retain at least one friend from Kindergarten for the rest of his life
Canvas his neighborhood on behalf of a political candidate
Develop a realistic personal budget

Thoughts? Additions? :)

The Reaper
07-29-2008, 10:25
Defend himself with no weapons, and with improvised weapons.

Ride a horse.

Make at least minor emergency repairs to a car or home.

Use a mechanic's or carpenter's basic tool kit to good effect without serious injury.

Work on a farm or ranch for at least a week.

Learn the basic constellations and major stars.

Hold his own in a formal debate.

Learn to read and speak at least one foreign language and be conversational in it.

Travel overseas and live among the local population for at least a month.

Develop a sense of personal responsibility.

Analyze information with a critical eye, and be able to articulate why he supports a position or political candidate.

Do something good for someone he does not know and who can not do anything for him in return.

Good thread.

TR

29Tudor
07-29-2008, 10:39
- Learn to Fly Fish (And tie his own fly, my Dad made me tie my own fly to use my first time fly fishing)
- Able to clean the guns after shooting expert
- Learn to rebuild an engine and repair cars. (Nothing manlier than being 'that guy' in college that was sought out to fix other people's cars for them when they couldn't using minimal tools)
- Learn etiquette. Opening doors, pulling out chairs, leading prayer before meals, etc.
- Always tip well
- Skin and dress a Deer

Congrats on the Godson

Rapid
07-29-2008, 11:03
Man, this kid is going to have one heck of a busy childhood. :D

What else can I add... ah, something that'll help with everything else. The use of proper logical analysis, i.e. always trying to remain unbiased, rational, methodological, etc, to the highest level. A little bit of Philosophy 101, if you will.

Sdiver
07-29-2008, 11:41
Be able to recite the preamble to the U.S. Constitution from memory.

Be able to recite the Bill of Rights.

Every Christmas Eve, read Twas The Night Before Christmas to family and friends, before going to bed.

Get involved in sports, and learn the competitive spirit without loosing good sportsmanship.

Send Birthday, Christmas, Easter cards (and any other holiday that comes to mind), to his Grandparents, without being told to do so.

Learn proper respect for our Flag.

Learn the National Anthem and sing it proudly every time it's played.

Vist a VA nursing home, and listen to the people that are in there.

Volunteer his time at above said nursing home, or a VA in general.

Make His Mother and Father (and Godfather :D )proud in his accomplishments.

Learn not to dwell on his failures, but to learn from them and drive on.

Edit to add:

Develop a GOOD handshake. Strong and Firm, not weak and limp.

Learn to remove his hat and sunglasses when speaking to a Lady.

Be able to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, before he starts school.

Semper gumby
07-29-2008, 12:14
OMG. Forget teaching the kid, there's some things that have been mentioned that I still have to learn to do.....:D

MVS2
07-29-2008, 13:57
-Run a mile

-Read a map

-Write legibly

Tyrant
07-29-2008, 14:07
-Have fun
-Be a kid.

Red Flag 1
07-29-2008, 14:29
Become an Eagle Scout.

My son did.

USMC recognized this and awarded him Lcpl. Did USMC basic the summer of his junior year at VMI.

Eagle Scout is awarded to the scout. He can't get there without your help!!

RF 1

JustinW20
07-29-2008, 15:34
Become an Eagle Scout.

RF 1

This will ensure that he learns how to do just about everything else previously mentioned. :lifter

TR's suggestion that he spent a week or two on a farm or ranch should take care of the rest (or better yet, a week or two every summer).

FMF DOC
07-29-2008, 15:58
This is very interesting, I have a 10yr old son myself, so far I love the list. I would add on to the expert shooting both left & right handed. I would change the asking out the girl without being nervous, that's what makes it special, change nervousness to confidence. Look forward to reading more and I will try to add some of mine own but looks like that may be tough. :munchin

uscav_scout
07-29-2008, 16:25
I am relatively young, so I might not have 40+ years of hindsight , but what I do have is still fresh in my mind:)

But in all seriousness my father passed away when I was a teenager and this forced me to figure out some of the things previously listed by myself, and come up with a few of my own. I have spent some time making an informal list in my head, so when I do make a few of my own they will be fully prepared by the time they can enter into a contract with the United States Government.

Unhook a bra, one handed:)

Develop a self starting problem solving attitude (Car or computer breaks, fix it, if they don't know how, learn)

Instill the idea of never rewarding bad behavior whether it be in a professional, or personal context

Grammar and spelling

Develop good speaking skills

Start their own business at young age (Whether it be tutoring, lawn care, etc)

Research ability

Basic understanding of math and science. At least chemistry, physics and biology, trig (helps with land nav!) and calculus

Be able to write a resume, and do his own taxes by the age of 18

That is enough for now, I got a deployment to prepare for:lifter, and then selection

Lanyard
07-29-2008, 17:41
1. Learn about statistics and how they can be manipulated.

2. Balance a checkbook, critically review a bill/invoice and know how to maintain a high crdit score.

mcarey
07-29-2008, 19:00
Know how to start a fire and purify (and find) water!

A basic survival task and impressive after he gets the confidence to ask a girl to go camping.

Scimitar
07-29-2008, 19:05
Don't know what you call this in the States exactly so I will call it the two fingered whistle.

- A young lad has to be able to do the two fingered whistle well.

- Play a social instrument adequately - Guitar or Piano, even the Fiddle.

- Know how to put his own clothes washing on

- Know how to hold an excellent initial conversation with someone

S

ZonieDiver
07-30-2008, 16:21
Learn to recognize, accept, and appreciate legitimate criticism / spot correction and differentiate it from "being picked on"!

Gypsy
07-30-2008, 17:34
Mix a drink for a lady

Thoughts? Additions? :)

Great comments from everyone, several I thought of have already been mentioned. I'd add to the above, he should learn how to cook for a lady, to include presentation of the meal. At the least 1-2 specialty dishes, more if he enjoys it. Chicks love men who can and will cook for them. :D

Oh yes, and tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Always.

The Reaper
07-30-2008, 19:36
Oh yes, and tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Always.

"Do these pants make my butt look big?":eek:

"Do I look older to you?":confused:

"Do I look like I did when I married you?":rolleyes:

ITS A TRAP! LIE YOUR EVER LOVIN' ASS OFF!!;)

TR

LibraryLady
07-30-2008, 20:06
Be comfortable in social situations no matter the people involved.

Learn how to learn. First corollary - learn how to read directions. Second corollary - learn how to teach. Third corollary - learn to ask directions (gps units and maps/compasses don't count)

Iron - know how to wield an iron. Also know how to read a label so the proper washing method is used. (goes over well with the ladies and their delicates)

Do dishes - same as above, know what's ok to put in the dishwasher and what you should wash by hand. (if a lady cooks for you, you'd BETTER do them dishes or you may NEVER get another meal from her)

Learn how to NOT drink when everyone else does.

Know that it's ok in certain situations to say "I don't know." And the difference between those times and the times when you need to keep quiet, and observe/copy.

Become that kid the neighbors can rely on to housesit and know their critters and plants will still be alive/thriving when they get home.

LL

Gypsy
07-30-2008, 20:51
"Do these pants make my butt look big?":eek:

"Do I look older to you?":confused:

"Do I look like I did when I married you?":rolleyes:

ITS A TRAP! LIE YOUR EVER LOVIN' ASS OFF!!;)

TR

Ahhhhh damnit ya caught on, did you? LOL!

I'm odd that way...I never ask a question unless I am prepared for the real answer.

uscav_scout
07-31-2008, 00:57
Identify a shit test, TR provided some good examples....

"Do these pants make my butt look big?"

"Do I look older to you?"

"Do I look like I did when I married you?"

ITS A TRAP! LIE YOUR EVER LOVIN' ASS OFF!!

TR

A shit test is a question that is typically asked by a woman (or her parents, or her friends), where one's response, whether truthful, or fabricated, will result in a negative reaction from the female.

Example:

Jenny: Forest, how many girls have you slept with?

(Forest has the following options)

1: Tell the truth
Forest: 212....
Jenny: WTF!!!!:mad:
Jenny gets angry at for Forest telling the truth, the relationship continues, and it takes six months of Forest showering twice a day for him to get to "bed" her again.

2: Lie
Forest: Uh... 3
Jenny: You are such a liar, I thought I could trust you!!! WTF!!! :mad:
Jenny assumes he is a liar, gets angry at for Forest telling a lie, the relationship continues, and it takes six months of Forest showering twice a day for him to get to "bed" her again.

Either way the boy is in trouble unless....

3: Deals with the shit test
Forest: At one time, or all together (or)
Forest: Zero, I'm still a virgin, I cross my fingers before we did it
Jenny: Forest you are too funny....
At this point Forest distracts Jenny with a massage, or something else playful. Jenny is happy, because Forest didn't lie, or tell the truth.

Hope everyone is tracking, because this an essential battle drill for any male hopeing to survive it out there in the wild:)

frostfire
07-31-2008, 19:53
Great advices. Man, need to put some of those on my things-to-learn list.
I got two for him:

1. Make sure he understands and lives by "Say what you mean and do what you say." I still believe this principle wins people's respect, even if they hate you.

2. Forge his integrity by giving him an opportunity to do the right thing when nobody look or care, because while an old dog can still learn new tricks, character, especially under high stress is blah blah blah...preaching to the choir here

A shit test is a question that is typically asked by a woman (or her parents, or her friends), where one's response, whether truthful, or fabricated, will result in a negative reaction from the female.

Either way the boy is in trouble unless....

3: Deals with the shit test
Forest: At one time, or all together (or)
Forest: Zero, I'm still a virgin, I cross my fingers before we did it
Jenny: Forest you are too funny....
At this point Forest distracts Jenny with a massage, or something else playful. Jenny is happy, because Forest didn't lie, or tell the truth.

you sir, is a philosopher! I don't think I can pull the stunt though, I always say what I mean and do what I say :p

jw74
08-02-2008, 19:04
Many of my most important ones were already mentioned, but I'll add these:

regarding women:
open doors and walk on the street side of her. Learn the truth of "all that glitters is not gold".

regarding men:
be there every time your friends need you without fail.

regarding all:
eye contact, firm handshakes, and think twice but say nothing.

personal note: on my dad's death bed, he told me two things: accentuate the positive and to thine own self be true.

Gypsy
08-02-2008, 21:03
regarding women:
open doors and walk on the street side of her.

Wow...my dad was only one of two men in my life who've walked on the street side of me. Very nice.

Shar
08-02-2008, 21:12
Iron - know how to wield an iron. Also know how to read a label so the proper washing method is used. (goes over well with the ladies and their delicates)

Become that kid the neighbors can rely on to housesit and know their critters and plants will still be alive/thriving when they get home.

The fact that my husband can iron, and irons better than I do makes me overlook other things he isn't perfect about. :D

On the neighbor kid issue - I've currently got first hand experience with this one. I've got this kid next door and I'll tell you that when you're raising one of these kids that child becomes the child everyone WANTS to teach stuff to and it's that kid who generally gets the opportunity to learn everything else on the list because he's learning at the knees of everyone else on the street and soaking it all in. These kids are easily identified at a fairly early age and they are fun to have around.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head:
- Learn to sharpen knives.

sterling
08-03-2008, 00:08
I. Basic welding
II. Olympic lifts
III. Pole vault
IV. Sharpen tools
V. Farriery
VI. Basic blacksmithing
VII. Sew

civil
08-28-2009, 09:30
Perhaps this can help, a group of gents looking to bring back the way of the man: http://artofmanliness.com/

Some great ideas of things to teach your kids in the articles and more

For example:
Shave properly
apologize properly
make a decision
write a letter
dress for the situation
deal with stress and grief
leave a tip
write a resume
give a good first impression
walk into a room

Praetorian
08-28-2009, 14:37
Id be happy if my kid would stop riding the dog like a horse. The dog is getting tired and the horse is feeling lonely....

MARSOC0211
08-28-2009, 19:17
In addition to the afore mentioned qualities, I will add the ability to be able to look yourself in the mirror every morning...

219seminole
08-28-2009, 20:06
One of my sons joined the Marines at an older than average age and was made platoon guide of his boot platoon. One of the first letters I received from him complained of the immaturity of the 17-18-19 year olds around him. He wrote, "If they would do what they are told, when told and how told, life would be easier around here."

That was a gestalt moment!

VVVV
08-28-2009, 21:05
2. Balance a checkbook.

By the time this kid grows up, checkbooks will be a thing of the past.

Tatonka316
08-28-2009, 21:51
I NEEDED to read this post today - thank you all!!! So many of these things I have shared with my sons. I would like to add this:

Appreciate the wonder and beauty of the simple things in life: a beautiful sunset- the first snowfall of the winter - the sound of nothing but "nature" first thing in the morning ...

We have beauty all around us, but most people need to learn to recognize it!

molon labe:lifter

Requiem
08-30-2009, 16:44
Excellent thoughts, gentlemen. As a mom raising two boys who constantly amuse and alarm me with their antics, I appreciate the words of wisdom here. Thank you.

(If we put all these suggestions together we'd have the perfect man. :D )

-Susan

wet dog
07-30-2011, 04:50
Plant a vegetable garden.
An art medium.
Learn hammer/nail in both left and right hands.

Team Sergeant
07-30-2011, 07:36
Smile, a lot.

Learn to cook, well.

Live life as an adventure.

Share your adventure.

mark46th
07-30-2011, 09:32
About women-

You have to leave them crying on the porch at least once.