PDA

View Full Version : PEQ-15/ATPIAL

JCasp
07-27-2008, 09:11
Tried a few search strings before I posted to make sure there wasn't any previous threads and didn't see any. But there are many variations to how people would type, IE: PEQ 15, PEQ-15, AN/PEQ 15, AN/PEQ-15. I couldn't find a way to turn off exact search results, so again if this is a clone thread I apolgoize.

Have any of the resident QPs or industry experts had a chance to try out this piece of kit? It appears to be a full replacement for the PEQ2 according to some Google searche results. I was wondering how powerful the laser is in comparison to the PEQ2, given that it's about one-third the size.

I found the product page at: http://www.insightlights.com/products-atpial.htm

There doesn't seem to be a thumb/finger switch, so I presume it is pressure switch only? If the laser is sighted in do you still have to borelight the IR illum (or vice-versa)? How is the battery life in comparison to the old systems? I had a PAQ4 for most of my time in 82nd, and PEQ-2 experience was limited to borelighting my squad leaders weapon and doing a night-qual with it.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if I went out of my lane or missed a previous thread regarding it. I saw it listed on some random forum as part of the SOPMOD Block II kit and was stoked at all the features!

NoRoadtrippin
07-27-2008, 10:40
I have some limited use with the PEQ-15. We used here at Benning in a course I recently took as a new LT, and I used it for a night fire at AWG's week long shoot course. So, at the risk of drawing unwanted fire, here is my un-expert experience.

I definitely like the size. With less of a foot print on the weapon, I found it would allow me to place my EOTech farther forward where I prefer to use it. With the PEQ-2, this wasn't possible.

The IR and visible laser are tied into one another. Zero one, and you have done both.

The power is definitely there. I haven't used the PEQ-2 without the little safety switch, but I have used the 15 set on dual high and its almost ridiculous. It puts out quite the beam of death. I was easily hitting targets at 125-150 meters with PVS-14s and the PEQ-15. And, that was with very limited previous night fire experience. For me, the flood on high had a tendency to wash out the laser. High/Lo seemed the best option. As far as how quickly this power runs down the batteries, I am not sure. That is a very valid question someone else will have to handle as we did not use them that long.

Hopefully some of that helps out.

JCasp
07-27-2008, 11:08
Sounds good so far! I definitely didn't mean SF/Experts only, just made the (wrong) assumption that it was only available to SOF, and even then on a limited basis. You also made a good point I forgot to add, freeing up some real estate space on the rails it never a bad thing, especially with the "tricked out" carbines of today. Sharing zeros between IR and laser was a great idea. Cool, sounds good thus far. Another item on my carbine wish-list.

optactical
07-28-2008, 01:28
The NAVSPECWAR guys have had them for going on 2-3 years now, SF are latecomers to getting them. I know some guys that don't have them yet. If you want product data ask the manufacturer's for PDF's of it.

IR lasers are restricted to Gov't and LE agencies (individual sales to their members is not allowed), good luck with your wishlist.

wallowinginfun
07-28-2008, 18:27
I had one on my last tour with the guard. Which depending on who you ask might be great or a complete load of crap considering, as optactical said, that even QP's don't all have them yet. I thought it was a great piece of equipment, not just because it's smaller and uses a single CR123 instead of 2 AA's, but because of the embedded mount. The mount on the PEQ2 was a real piece. The red laser was kind of a pain, since every jackass on earth decided to take it upon himself to try to turn someone into George Costanza in a movie theater.

Air.177
07-28-2008, 20:06
As for that built in mount, I highly recommend that you cinch it down nice and tight, and if you will not be removing/reinstalling the device, and if you have it available, I recommend that you apply some Blue loc tite or clear nail polish to prevent the mount screw from coming loose.

Good times,
Blake

rocketjok
07-31-2008, 19:17
I teach the MITT team guys how to use them while I wait to leave for the Q, there are a couple Issues nothing Big.

You have to zero the IR aim laser even though it and the visible laser are slaved. I don't know why it happens like that but i have spent a couple long nights at the range UN-ASSing my teams after most of them failed to Qualify because the zeroed with the visible laser.

Second just some thing to remember unlike the PEQ2 the PEQ15 will shut it self off after 5min

It comes with even more switches then the PEQ2 sounds like you didn't get a complete Issue check your -10

I haven't messed with it much because i just teach the basics and get them to qualify but you can program it to change the rate of the laser making it easier to ID your Aim Point some thing i am curious to experiment with. It can do a few other things to but don't remember them off the top of my head.

Kind of weird that SF doesn't have them yet to be honest they seem to be getting issued to the MITT teams that are designated in support roles and wont be engaging in combat. My whole team is air force for this cycle and will be ridding a desk but guess who has all the coolest gear.

I am curious if any one with some down range time could give some feedback i only get to see the training side. As of right now my opinion is that unless for some reason a PEQ-2 doesn't get the job done then use that.

Psywar1-0
08-02-2008, 21:58
I had one at my last address, really liked it, hated giving it up.

On the Plus Side: Smaller footprint as stated, also comming with a set of pattern generators made it much easier for everyone on the team to figure out what was their aiming point.

Battery: Yes to that one, being able to run all your accessories on one type of battery made the Log Chain a few links shorter.

The dual rail mounted switch is the shiznit. Allows a good thumb over grip on the front end of the gun and pretty much eliminated Light AD's from dealing with 2 tape switches. I ran a M6, and had no issues, and enjoyed the weight savings over a SF 951C

I did not experience the issue with the IR and Vis not being slaved.

On the minus side I could never get the wireless rail mounted switch to sync with the Laser.

18C4V
08-03-2008, 00:40
I used it in combat in Basrah and liked it very much. Like the other guy said, you can change the shape of the IR beam so your Jundies know which American TA is IDing targets.

I used the red visble laser lights during call outs and I seemed to observe more rapid complicance from detainees on target.

The bad thing is that the plastic retaining strap connecting to the battery cover broke.