PDA

View Full Version : "Army puts football star's NFL dream on hold"

X-ray
07-26-2008, 12:04
From Jamie McIntyre
CNN Pentagon Correspondent

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Being drafted by a professional sports team is a dream of almost every college athlete, but, in a time of war, the Pentagon has decided duty should come before athletic glory for officers graduating from the nation's military academies.

A few months ago, the Army didn't feel that way. It granted Army 2nd Lt. Caleb Campbell, who had been taken by the Detroit Lions in the first round of the NFL draft, permission to pursue his dream of becoming a professional football player.

The Army had initially said Campbell, a football standout who played for the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, could fulfill his military obligation by serving two years as a recruiter in his spare time. Academy graduates are usually required to serve five years.

"You don't really every year get someone from the military academy pursuing their NFL dreams and having a legit shot at the NFL," the West Point graduate said.

But after a much publicized difference in policy between the Army and other services, Campbell's NFL dreams have been put on hold. The wartime exception for Campbell -- essentially his ticket out of joining the fight in Iraq -- rubbed many in the military the wrong way.

On Wednesday, the Army sent a letter to the Detroit Lions informing them that a change in Army policy means Campbell would have to cease getting ready to play for the football team.

"Campbell has been directed to cease full-time participation in professional football to perform full-time traditional military duties," Army Adjutant General Lt. Col Jonathan Liba wrote to the Lions.

The letter said Campbell could apply for release from active duty obligations in two years.

The Army said in a statement that Campbell deserved the recognition for his football career, but must wait to play.

"He is an outstanding athlete who displayed the dedication, determination and discipline required of a champion. He has the qualities we expect of our leaders, and is the kind of leader our soldiers deserve," the Army said.

"This action was taken to uniformly apply military service obligations for all members of the U.S. Army," the Army said.

It was a decision that brought Campbell to tears, he told Michigan newspaper The Oakland Press.

"Oh yeah, I cried, because I wanted a shot," Campbell told the paper as he entered the Lions training facility. "I mean, like I said, I had the best of both worlds. It was a fun ride, it really was. To play with the best in the nation. But yeah, I was definitely upset that it was over. You know what, I got another job ahead of me that I'm really excited about, so I'm taking it with a smile."

Campbell told the Oakland Press that his first duty is to work as a graduate assistant football coach at West Point before reporting next year for officer training before being deployed.

Campbell acknowledged when he was drafted that he had mixed feelings about the possibility of getting the exception.

"Part of you wants to be there next to them because you've been by their side for the last five years. ... But then you have to look out for yourself," Campbell said. "I love to play football."

The issue came to a head when the Navy ordered Ensign Mitch Harris, whose blazing fastball and stellar strikeout record got the U.S. Naval Academy pitcher drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals, to put his Major League dreams on hold and report for duty aboard the amphibious transport dock USS Ponce.

The Navy is requiring Harris to serve his full five-year commitment, which he started when he reported for duty in mid-June in Norfolk, Virginia.

That policy stood for all Navy ensigns with big league dreams. Navy Secretary Don Winter wrote in a November memo, "As the Nation is at war, I believe it is inappropriate to continue this policy" of granting extra leave or early release to allow graduates to pursue sports careers.

When the Army granted Campbell an exception, it raised eyebrows with top Defense Department officials. They wanted to set a uniform standard across the department that military academy graduates would not be allowed to pursue sports careers immediately after graduation, but sources said the Army tried to keep exemptions for athletes like Campbell.

The Army argued that because manpower is at a premium, having an NFL player as a recruiter would be a valuable asset. But Defense Department pressure changed the Army's mind.

Campbell acknowledged when he was drafted that some might say, "This kid is getting out of the Army to go play football. They would think that I'm getting the same education but taking the easier way out, maybe."

Opinions?? :munchin

X-ray

kgoerz
07-26-2008, 15:37
Let them play. Just commit them to being spokesman for their respected service. They will do a lot more for their branch then they will floating around on a Boat. It's not like there are hundreds of West pointers being drafted by the NFL. Didn't they let Roger Starback serve in the Reserves or something. I remember him always supporting the Navy.

Razor
07-26-2008, 19:02
Compared to the bigger picture you're probably right, K, but my personal beef (and I admit I'm very biased here) is that young Mr. Campbell willingly swore an oath five someodd years ago along with around 1000 other men and women. In doing so, he promised to serve his country as an officer leading soldiers. I'm happy he's a good football player, but at the end of the day he agreed to be a soldier first and foremost. None of his other classmates are getting special treatment because they can play a game well--many are in or on their way to combat to lead our volunteer soldiers. Thus, IMO he needs to sack up, be true to his promise and put his personal dreams and ambitions on hold while he serves his nation in its hour of need.

Team Sergeant
07-26-2008, 19:49
Let's see momma's boy joins the Army, +10, he joins as an officer, +20, he goes to West Point, +30, now momma's boy wants out to reap the millions, -1000, oh yeah, "I cried" -5000, throw the punk out now.:mad:

Separate him now before he is accidentally wounded or killed.

Team Sergeant

The Reaper
07-26-2008, 22:00
He accepted a scholarship to attend the USMA and to play football there. The service obligation and commission requirement after graduation is pretty prominent in the paperwork.

Why would he think that he had the ability to avoid his service obligation and play pro ball, anyway?

Anyone who attends a service academy in time of war, and thinks that he is not going to have to serve his obligation may lack the intelligence required to be a good student.

OTOH, if USMA tried to make a deal for recruiting or publicity purposes, that raises a basic issue of fairness for non-athletes to me.

TR

Aequitas
07-26-2008, 23:02
For you all to fully understand his situation you would have to have been a cadet @ WP recruited for a Div I team. I went there for 4 yrs and have the inside perspective. Am I going to air dirty laundry? No, I'm not, but there have always been stipulations that cadets could get a team to reimburse the Army for the 4yrs of college AND a percentage of the 5yr contract you have when graduating if drafted.
I was lucky enough to have been there for Sept 11th and see the surge of men and women who came in to serve. I was lucky enough to have been recruited for a Div I sport and have a successful time there.
I think this situation is like anything else is society. All people are going to have their own perspectives and beliefs. No one can force anyone to change their mind, but at least try to understand that there are MANY MANY things that are said and done at WP that MANY people have no idea about.
I wish him the best in his career. Oh and this kind of thing has happened before. There are 2 Army baseball players that graduated within the past 5yrs that are playing pro ball. Where was the big stink then? It can happen, but it's just unfortunate that so much negative publicity came into this situation and caused such a stink.
I'm not saying he should or should not have been allowed to play. I'm just trying to bring different points of view to light for discussion. BUT I have a hard time reading some comments from people that say this kid doesn't even deserve to serve or wear the uniform. Or that he's a pussy b/c he thinks he might die in combat. Or the other shit I've read.
I think all of you know it takes a lot of guts to go into the military. I also think most of you know how incredibly hard it is to get into WP. Just give the kid a little break. We all have had those moments where we falter and get back on track.

Off my soapbox now.

X-ray
07-27-2008, 05:47
IMHO he did sign the contract that obligates him to serve his country. But OTOH why would the Army say "Okay, you can go play ball if you recruit for two years part time." Then turn around and say, "Oh, never mind we were just f'n with you, you must fulfill your contract agreement now." But just like TR stated, for USMA to tell him that he doesn't have to go to OIF/OEF because he's a good ball player would be extremely unfair to those who go through the Academy without playing sports and who fulfill their contracts without question or crying.

If he wanted to pursue a career in football, basketball, baseball, or basket weaving maybe he should have chosen a different school. When you chose to go to USMA, and it was his choice, you KNOW what you're going to be doing for the next decade especially when our country is at war.

For 2nd Lt. Caleb Campbell, Army says time to go to work, FIDO, sir.

my .02

X-ray

The Reaper
07-27-2008, 08:08
For you all to fully understand his situation you would have to have been a cadet @ WP recruited for a Div I team. I went there for 4 yrs and have the inside perspective. Am I going to air dirty laundry? No, I'm not, but there have always been stipulations that cadets could get a team to reimburse the Army for the 4yrs of college AND a percentage of the 5yr contract you have when graduating if drafted.
I was lucky enough to have been there for Sept 11th and see the surge of men and women who came in to serve. I was lucky enough to have been recruited for a Div I sport and have a successful time there.
I think this situation is like anything else is society. All people are going to have their own perspectives and beliefs. No one can force anyone to change their mind, but at least try to understand that there are MANY MANY things that are said and done at WP that MANY people have no idea about.
I wish him the best in his career. Oh and this kind of thing has happened before. There are 2 Army baseball players that graduated within the past 5yrs that are playing pro ball. Where was the big stink then? It can happen, but it's just unfortunate that so much negative publicity came into this situation and caused such a stink.
I'm not saying he should or should not have been allowed to play. I'm just trying to bring different points of view to light for discussion. BUT I have a hard time reading some comments from people that say this kid doesn't even deserve to serve or wear the uniform. Or that he's a pussy b/c he thinks he might die in combat. Or the other shit I've read.
I think all of you know it takes a lot of guts to go into the military. I also think most of you know how incredibly hard it is to get into WP. Just give the kid a little break. We all have had those moments where we falter and get back on track.

Off my soapbox now.

What about the kid whose parents are rich, and allowed him to attend WP against their better judgement, and now that commissioning time is coming and a war is on, are afraid for his safety?

Should they be allowed to buy out his contract, or repay the USG for the expense of his education?

Maybe they could hire someone else to serve on his behalf?

How about the ROTC scholarship student?

Can someone who enlisted be released if they change their mind and pay the Army back for their training?

If I hit the lottery, should I be able to buy out my service obligation?

I think there needs to be a uniform policy across the service, and it needs to be uniformly applied with few, if any exceptions.

A contract and an oath should both be binding.

TR

Team Sergeant
07-27-2008, 08:36

TR

Actually the Army will discharge you if that happens....;)

I say discharge the Lt or send him to Alaska, out of harms way.

I would rather have a company of riggers, cooks and truck drivers to fight the enemy with than one sobbing 2nd Lt. Caleb Campbell.

That story and 2nd Lt. Caleb Campbell disgusts me.

Team Sergeant

Guy
07-27-2008, 08:41
2LT Caleb Campbell...Welcome to the U.S. Army!

HOO-RAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lift er

Take care el-tee and stay safe!

MtnGoat
07-27-2008, 08:47
I see things this way over this subject.

Yes he did sign a contract for going to WP and he should "live" out that aggrement.

Like Aequitas said.. there have been others that are NOW playing Pro-ball at different level or sports. SO why is the USG/DOD changing on this one Soldier/Officer?? Is football the reason, DOD has had a bad side in public option from the past with this war and sports. Maybe so, IMO not the reason.

This Officer should or must finish out his Five year military obligation. Not some 2 or 3 year. Not just some "recruiter in his spare time" BS, he (& other in same boat) should have to go overseas to the war zones as part of USO tour. Not some USO tour to England or Germany or Bosnia or Kosovo or Sinia or Korea. Real Combat zone tour. Make him or the others see where they should be, not some news broadcast reel. They should all have to sign a second contract for they "NEW" military obligation and it should be spelled out, if their new sports agent want to write his own, the deal if off you will forfill your 1st obligation they signed going to a service academy.

These service members have a great chance to be that spokes person for their military branch, but the military branch must be ready to deal with what they have open up. Can of worms with public option, news media, Military branch, ETC. I haven't seen anything on this subject, so that is funny IMO. no AOL news banner??

If they get told they can play ball and then get told your not playing ball... the hell with him been my leader. His mind will be on I wish I had been out and not in the fight here. IMHO.. maybe not all but most!! I'm with TS.. make their asses bounce out of the military.

I had a guy that came into millions of dollars over oil on his land in Texas while I was an Engineer. The Army made him make a desion over staying in or getting out. He stayed in, they made him sign a whole new and different service obligation contract. He stayed in for those three more year and then go out.

uboat509
07-27-2008, 09:16
Man, everybody is all over this kid because he tried to take advantage of a program that was already in place. He did not make up this exemption, he just tried to get it. I don't think he went to West Point planning to get out out of his commitment. If that was the case then why go through four years of pain at West Point? If he is good enough to get drafted by a team then he was probably good enough to get a scholarship at some school where he could major in underwater basket weaving and just play football for four years instead of going through all the fun that is West Point. I suspect that he went there to be an officer and found out about the exemption later. There's an old saying "Don't hate a dog for being a dog." Well don't hate a twenty-two year old for being a twenty-two year old. He did not create this exemption. It existed before he got there. He just tried to take advantage of it. Now, I agree that this exemption should not be there but I don't blame Campbell for that. I blame whatever genius created it in the first place. Yes, he cried when he found out but he didn't start jumping up and down and screaming "It's unfair!", or retaining lawyers or anything like that. He just said that he was upset and now he is looking forward starting his military career.

Oh, and as for him going to OIF/OEF, he branched ADA so I am not sure that there is a combat tour in his future anyway. I could be wrong, but don't recall seeing any ADA unit over there.

SFC W

Patriot007
07-27-2008, 12:57
The root of the problem is recruiting candidates for service academies based on their ability to play sports. For example why choose future military leaders based on ability of playing sports like golf and tennis?:eek: Other than allowing the coaches to keep their jobs what advantage is there to the services. I'll even give team sports requiring overall athleticism, leadership and teamwork the benefit of the doubt but only after integrity, academics, and overall desire to be a leader for our servicemen.

If he wants out of the contract- he can go to jail.

abc_123
07-27-2008, 13:23
Good to see that the Army reversed itself on the 2LT Campbell thing. Hey, an oath is an oath. He signd up for the full meal deal when he went to WP.

It sucks to grow up.

Now on a related note...

What about the Army world class athlete program? These individuals are still in the Army but their job is essentially to play a sport.

Aequitas
07-27-2008, 13:43
The root of the problem is recruiting candidates for service academies based on their ability to play sports. For example why choose future military leaders based on ability of playing sports like golf and tennis?:eek: Other than allowing the coaches to keep their jobs what advantage is there to the services. I'll even give team sports requiring overall athleticism, leadership and teamwork the benefit of the doubt but only after integrity, academics, and overall desire to be a leader for our servicemen.

I find that comment above foolish. And yes what about the WCAP that abc mentioned?

I can only imagine what you people would say if you heard my story...and to see where I am today...this thread is just a bit unreal to me. If you think this kid shouldn't be a leader or needs to go to jail....you better send me with him and take my tab and stripes off my shoulder.

GratefulCitizen
07-27-2008, 14:07

"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."
-General Douglas MacArthur

He seemed to think there was merit.

Razor
07-27-2008, 15:37
"On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory."
-General Douglas MacArthur

He seemed to think there was merit.

GC, re-read the quote. The "other days and other fields" reference therein doesn't refer to professional athletic fields.

Aequitas, you do understand that there are at least a few of us here that have similar "inside perspectives", right? Minus the drill exemptions, assigned study sessions and Corps Squad tables, of course. Maybe we should see what Blueboy's and JoeSFMech's opinions are as well?

uboat, I don't have current figures, but do you remember which MOS had an even higher OPTEMPO than SF before OEF/OIF? With SHORAD pretty much gone, chances are very good that 2LT Campbell wouldn't be growing any moss in his career field, even if he wasn't walking patrols in Baghdad.

As for WCAP, the vast dissimiliarities between it and USMA, especially in terms of the expectations of its members, make it unrelated to this particular discussion. For the record, I'm not a big fan of the program, but grudgingly accept it along with the Soldier Show entertainers, the Army Chorale and other like-intentioned special duty assignments as a necessary marketing tool in an all-volunteer force.

Team Sergeant
07-27-2008, 16:33
Man, everybody is all over this kid because he tried to take advantage of a program that was already in place.

There's an old saying "Don't hate a dog for being a dog." Well don't hate a twenty-two year old for being a twenty-two year old.
SFC W

I was 17 when I joined the military, so your "he's only 22" doesn't cut it with me. All the sympathy I have for 2nd Lt. Caleb Campbell would fit into a thimble with room to swim.

2nd Lt. Caleb Campbell is a cry-baby. I personally would not allow him to lead a troop of Girl Scouts.

And he's not a man/warrior such as Pat Tillman who answered his countries call without hesitation or reservation. IMO he does not deserve to stand in my shadow.

Team Sergeant

GratefulCitizen
07-27-2008, 16:36
GC, re-read the quote. The "other days and other fields" reference therein doesn't refer to professional athletic fields.

I fully understand this.

Patriot007 said: "Other than allowing the coaches to keep their jobs what advantage is there to the services"

Gen. MacArthur's quote would seem to address this.

Five-O
07-27-2008, 18:37
It would be interesting to see what (if any) universities offered Campbell a full ride to play football. If WP offered him one I would ASSUME others did as well. So if military service was not his top priority why not go to a good Ivy League or similar institution that did not have the military obligation upon graduation??

abc_123
07-27-2008, 18:53
To me, it's unconsionable (sp?) that the academy would even entertain a cadet wanting out of his service commitment to play pro sports. Just like my 10 and 7yr old asking me to watch a "R" movie.... Aint goint to happen....and they don't even bother to ask, because they know what my reaction to that question will be.

The fact that it's even a possiblility to ask is not the fault of the 2LT, its a fault of the officers that permit it.

Razor,

Why is the WCAP that much different? Officers can be involved in that too. Tell me what "recruiting" benifit does the Army get from the someone who is on the team that places 46th in the luge in the olympic games?

Razor
07-27-2008, 19:54
I fully understand this.

Patriot007 said: "Other than allowing the coaches to keep their jobs what advantage is there to the services"

Gen. MacArthur's quote would seem to address this.

It does...to an extent. When MacArthur was Superintendent, he instituted the intramural sports program at USMA that continues today. Under the program, every cadet not on an intercollegiate team or competitive club sport (Judo, Rugby, shooting sports, etc.) is required to participate half a semester each semester in one of several intramural sports on a team made up of other cadets in his/her company, and are coached by cadets from the company as well. Sports range from rugby to squash. This way, every cadet has an opportunity to reap the leadership, teamwork and physical benefits afforded by participating in team sports.

Since the intramural program is independent from any of the intercollegiate sports teams, cadets could arguably participate on the "fields of friendly strife" lauded by MacA without ever playing a different school. I wouldn't advocate for this type of solution, but it goes to show that the intent could be met without involvement in NCAA.

Razor
07-27-2008, 20:05
Razor,

Why is the WCAP that much different? Officers can be involved in that too. Tell me what "recruiting" benifit does the Army get from the someone who is on the team that places 46th in the luge in the olympic games?

Like I said, I don't like it, but then the service expectations of the soldiers recruited into the program are far different than someone entering a service academy. That is, of course, a broad generalization--Dan Brown (a USMA grad) went into the WCAP after commissioning and finishing OBC to be a long distance runner. :rolleyes: The other part is that I also believe that at least for the officers in WCAP, they're expected to leave the program and do their real job after some point; they're not granted a release from their service obligation, and are in fact still "serving" and subject to both the needs of the Army (i.e., can get yanked out at any time) and UCMJ while in WCAP. There's also the fact that they compete for the Army, in blatantly obvious Army "uniforms". Pro athletes play for a civilian team with no obvious ties to the military, and generally wear no outward sign on their uniforms that they came from the military. Besides David Robinson, how many other pro athletes coming out the service academies in recent history are readily recognizable by the public as representatives of their respective service? I can't name any off hand. At least there's no question as to where the WCAP soldiers come from.

CPTAUSRET
07-28-2008, 09:16
I turned down WP via USMAPS, (was recommended and accepted). I turned it down because I was not ready at the time to commit to 8 years of service, I believe it was a 4 year OBV, at that time. I later committed to a 6 year OBV to attend flight school.

I knew full well that attending WP obligated me to a service committment!

Don't go if you are not willing to serve!

GANGSTER
07-28-2008, 13:01
[QUOTE=
If I was that Lieutenant, I'd have kept my mouth shut and just ranted about the situation in a journal perhaps, and even then, it'd would've been an "Aw shucks, can you believe it, I actually could've played professional football! Oh well, shit happens, I signed up to be a soldier so I have an obligation to fulfill..." type of rant, not a, "#$%$@#$^#!! the stupid Army won't let me out so can I go play professional football" type of rant. I'd have put a bag over my head before coming out and ask for special treatment so I could go make millions playing football while my fellow cadets go off to war. QUOTE]

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/s...P&GT1=39002

I suggest you read the article attached. In reality Lt Campell received his orders and has moved on. What source do you have that you allows you to quote what he said?

My comments do not relect my opinion of the service option. However as professionals we need to consider the source of criticism or praise. This type of mud slinging in the dark serves no purpose on this board. What background does this guy sound so righteous. It is post like his what I choose to ignore Guerrilla & Asset shallow remarks!

GANGSTER
07-28-2008, 19:38
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8377544

Try this site for the Lt. Campbell events.

uboat509
07-29-2008, 03:07
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8377544

Try this site for the Lt. Campbell events.

Interesting. According to this, it wasn't even his idea to take this exemption. He was going to transfer to another school before he incured the service requirement but the coach at WP convinced him to stay and seek the exemption. He also reportedly said this after finding out that he had lost the exemption

"I'm a soldier first and foremost and I go where they order me to go," he said after hearing the news.

If true, then maybe he won't be such a horrible officer after all.

SFC W

abc_123
07-29-2008, 04:38
Like I said, I don't like it, but then the service expectations of the soldiers recruited into the program are far different than someone entering a service academy. That is, of course, a broad generalization--Dan Brown (a USMA grad) went into the WCAP after commissioning and finishing OBC to be a long distance runner. :rolleyes: The other part is that I also believe that at least for the officers in WCAP, they're expected to leave the program and do their real job after some point; they're not granted a release from their service obligation, and are in fact still "serving" and subject to both the needs of the Army (i.e., can get yanked out at any time) and UCMJ while in WCAP. There's also the fact that they compete for the Army, in blatantly obvious Army "uniforms". Pro athletes play for a civilian team with no obvious ties to the military, and generally wear no outward sign on their uniforms that they came from the military. Besides David Robinson, how many other pro athletes coming out the service academies in recent history are readily recognizable by the public as representatives of their respective service? I can't name any off hand. At least there's no question as to where the WCAP soldiers come from.

Thanks, Razor... And, I'm not arguing with you. Just thinking out loud on a subject kinda related to the 2LT Campbell thing..

The biggest negative that I see with the WCAP (especially for officers) is that you have 2LTs for "x" amount of time primarily being paid to play their olympic sport. Then at what? 18 months? He/she is getting a promotion and has never really prioritized learning Army skills over sport skills. You essentially could have Captains running around with essentially no LT experience. They don't wear, I'm an WCAP officer and I don't really know my job like you would think, brass on their collar.

What benefit does the Army get out of this program? A morale boost? I don't know about you, but my morale does not hinge on whether an "Army guy"places 180th or 80th in the bobsled or not. While deployed, "how are the WCAP guys doing in wrestling this year?" was not a question I heard asked too much. Maybe recruiting? I'm sure that archery is a big draw and producer of recruits for somebody's Army but I'm sure it's not ours.

So, given that we have a war on, what's the point?

brianksain
08-04-2008, 08:33
TS cracks me up ... for the record.:cool:

Team Sergeant
08-04-2008, 08:51
TS cracks me up ... for the record.:cool:

From Jamie McIntyre

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- "This action was taken to uniformly apply military service obligations for all members of the U.S. Army," the Army said.

It was a decision that brought Campbell to tears, he told Michigan newspaper The Oakland Press.

"Oh yeah, I cried, because I wanted a shot," Campbell told the paper as he entered the Lions training facility. "I mean, like I said, I had the best of both worlds.

X-ray

I cannot stand cry babies.

I can just see the LT on a battle field somewhere in the sandbox when some young kid from the Bronx asks him:

"Hey Lt, did you really cry alligator tears and snot bubbles when you found out the NFL wanted you?".

Team Sergeant

Sigaba
03-07-2009, 15:44
From Jamie McIntyre

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Being drafted by a professional sports team is a dream of almost every college athlete, but, in a time of war, the Pentagon has decided duty should come before athletic glory for officers graduating from the nation's military academies.

A few months ago, the Army didn't feel that way. It granted Army 2nd Lt. Caleb Campbell, who had been taken by the Detroit Lions in the first round of the NFL draft, permission to pursue his dream of becoming a professional football player.

<<SNIP>>

But after a much publicized difference in policy between the Army and other services, Campbell's NFL dreams have been put on hold. The wartime exception for Campbell -- essentially his ticket out of joining the fight in Iraq -- rubbed many in the military the wrong way.

<<SNIP>>

The issue came to a head when the Navy ordered Ensign Mitch Harris, whose blazing fastball and stellar strikeout record got the U.S. Naval Academy pitcher drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals, to put his Major League dreams on hold and report for duty aboard the amphibious transport dock USS Ponce.

The Navy is requiring Harris to serve his full five-year commitment, which he started when he reported for duty in mid-June in Norfolk, Virginia.

That policy stood for all Navy ensigns with big league dreams. Navy Secretary Don Winter wrote in a November memo, "As the Nation is at war, I believe it is inappropriate to continue this policy" of granting extra leave or early release to allow graduates to pursue sports careers.

When the Army granted Campbell an exception, it raised eyebrows with top Defense Department officials. They wanted to set a uniform standard across the department that military academy graduates would not be allowed to pursue sports careers immediately after graduation, but sources said the Army tried to keep exemptions for athletes like Campbell.

The Army argued that because manpower is at a premium, having an NFL player as a recruiter would be a valuable asset. But Defense Department pressure changed the Army's mind.

Napoleon Ardel McCallum, USNA 1986, was splitting time between the navy and the L.A. Raiders until he was ordered to fulfill his obligation through full time service in the fleet. Here in L.A. there was some discussion in the local media weighing (from a civilian perspective) the recruiting advantages of having an officer playing pro football against McCallum's commitment to serve as an officer.

What was unreported (if even known at the time) was the political pressure exerted by the army. An example of this pressure can be found in the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, FG015 (Department of the Navy) box 2, file 3, document 425184. That document is a letter from a retired army general complaining about Napoleon McCallum playing ball before his service commitment ends. More specific details were not noted as the document was of tertiary importance to my research at that time.

However, I do recall that while the general's reasoning in the letter centered around McCallum's oath as an officer his obligation as a graduate of the USNA, and the ethics of professional service officership in general, the timing, the tone, and the intended audience (the president himself), the letter struck me as a document that was essentially political in nature. This impression was noteworthy because I am inclined to view politics (party, institutional, and other) as, at best, a distant second, when considering the motivation of members of certain professions.

Later, when going through John Lehman's papers, this impression of the army's intervention in the McCallum issue as an example of interservice rivalry was buttressed by numerous examples of Lehman hectoring the army (a brief discussion of one such event is here (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=227091&postcount=5)).

Consequently, years later when the issue of a service academy graduate playing pro sports and modifying his obligations to his profession, I was struck by the fact that the army's reconsideration of its policy came after the Department of Defense raised objections and that these objections came after the navy weighed in by assigning a baseball player to duty and despite the fact that, historically, the Navy has invested so much intellectual, professional, cultural, and political capital making the argument that the "Navy Way" is distinctly different (and implicitly superior) to the ways of its sister services.

Consequently, notwithstanding the informed debate among soldiers and army officers, this event reminded me of the a secretary of war's (somewhat bitter) observation.

. . . some of the Army-Navy troubles. . . grew mainly from the peculiar psychology of the Navy Department, which frequently seemed to retire from the realm of logic into a dim religious world in which Neptune was God, Mahan his prophet, and the United States Navy the only true church. The high priests of this Church were a group of men to whom Stimson always referred to as “the Admirals.” . . .”The Admirals” had never been given their comeuppance.*

For what my two cents are worth, it remains my view that the interests of civilians such as myself would be well served by an army officer playing pro football. We need to be reminded--if not beaten soundly about the ears--that sport is not combat.

"War" is a metaphor used recklessly in contemporary mass popular culture. The current configuration of militarization can be traced directly to John Madden's ill-considered decision to describe interior line play in the NFL as "trench warfare".

Now, civilians ranging from athletes, to want to be bad-asses with boy crushes for a deceased hip hop singer--who was only noteworthy for: (a) his derivative mediocrity, (b) a need for a belt to hold up his dungarees-- to on line gamers, to air softers, to motivational speakers, to white collar workers, to community organizers (of all stripes and persuasions), to intellectuals in the Ivory Tower (including, embarrassingly, historians) unself-consciously (and without irony) describe themselves as "warriors", and talk about "strategy." These practices continue the ongoing trend of mistaking fetishist cultural discourse for informed debate of issues of war and peace.