PDA

View Full Version : Officer: Part of anti-email was wrong

JumpinJoe1010
07-26-2008, 08:14
I read this and wonder who was factually incorrect in this? If the CPT Porter is correct, it is sad that the Obama Camp can silence this negative statement.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/07/Military_blog.Obama_072508w/

An Army officer’s negative e-mail account of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama’s visit with the troops in Afghanistan that set the blogosphere ablaze prompted Army officials to correct aspects of the e-mail and resulted in a statement from the message’s author that “some of the information that was put out in my e-mail was wrong.”

The e-mail, signed by Capt. Jeffrey S. Porter at Bagram Airbase, characterized Obama’s July 19 visit with soldiers there as contrary to the positive portrayals of the mainstream press.

“As the soldiers where (sic) lined up to shake his hand he blew them off and didn’t say a word as he went into the conference room to meet the general,” the e-mail said.

Porter wrote that Obama then went straight to the base’s “Clamshell” or recreation facility to pose for “publicity pictures playing basketball” and “shunned the opportunity to talk to soldiers to thank them for their service. I swear we got more thanks from the NBA Basketball Players or the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders than from one of the Senators, who wants to be the President of the United States. I just don’t understand how anyone would want him to be our Commander-in-Chief. It was almost that he was scared to be around those that provide the freedom for him and our great country.”

Army Times sent an e-mail to Porter, a Utah Army National Guard member assigned to the 142nd Military Intelligence Battalion, asking if he could verify that he wrote the controversial e-mail and requesting an interview.

Porter’s reply declined the interview request, but said:

“I am writing this to ask that you delete my e-mail and not forward it, after checking my sources some of the information that was put out in my e-mail was wrong. This e-mail was meant only for my family. Please respect my wishes and delete the e-mail and if there are any blogs you have my e-mail portrayed on I would ask if you would take it down too.”

When contacted, Tiffany Porter who identified herself as his wife, said: “There were discrepancies in the e-mail, but I am not at liberty to say more.”

The Army refuted the accuracy of the account of the Obama visit.

“These comments are inappropriate and factually incorrect,” Bagram spokesman Lt. Col. Rumi Nielson-Green told the New York Daily News.

Obama didn’t play basketball at Bagram or visit the Clamshell, she said.

“We were a bit delayed ... as he took time to shake hands, speak to troops and pose for photographs,” Nielson-Green said.

Opinion aside, Obama campaign officials cited factual errors in the e-mail. Porter said Obama had gone to play basketball; Obama aides said that during the trip he only played basketball in Kuwait, not during stops in Iraq or Afghanistan.

An Obama campaign Web site, called “Fight the Smears,” labels it a “lie” that Obama refused to meet with the troops. It includes links to news stories and videos showing Obama interacting with crowds of service members as evidence.

JJ_BPK
07-26-2008, 08:58
I have a copy of the original email sent by CPT Porter:

From: http://www.tothepointnews.com/content/view/3271/87/

Hello everyone,

As you know I am not a very political person. I just wanted to pass along that Senator Obama came to Bagram, Afghanistan for about an hour on his visit to 'The War Zone'. I wanted to share with you what happened. He got off the plane and got into a bullet proof vehicle, got to the area to meet with the Major General (2 Star) who is the commander here at Bagram.

As the Soldiers were lined up to shake his hand he blew them off and didn't say a word as he went into the conference room to meet the General. As he finished, the vehicles took him to the ClamShell (pretty much a big top tent that military personnel can play basketball or work out in with weights) so he could take his publicity pictures playing basketball.

He again shunned the opportunity to talk to Soldiers to thank them for their service. So really he was just here to make a showing for the Americans back home that he is their candidate for President.

I think that if you are going to make an effort to come all the way over here, you would thank those who are providing the freedom that they are providing for you.

I swear we got more thanks from the NBA Basketball Players or the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders than from one of the Senators, who wants to be the President of the United States.

I just don't understand how anyone would want him to be our Commander-and-Chief. It was almost that he was scared to be around those that provide the freedom for him and our great country.

If this is blunt and to the point I am sorry but I wanted you all to know what kind of caliber of person he really is. What you see in the news is all fake.

In service,

CPT. Jeffrey S. Porter
American by birth, MARINE by the grace of God

And I quickly ran through a page of google.. He is getting Shiite from everyone in his command and I think the Obama-lites are preparing a bond fire on the Mall, in front of the Capital building...

I think we have just witnessed a young officer destroy his career.

Good Bless...

Defender968
07-26-2008, 09:55
An Obama campaign Web site, called “Fight the Smears,” labels it a “lie” that Obama refused to meet with the troops. It includes links to news stories and videos showing Obama interacting with crowds of service members as evidence.

I'd love to know which facts were "inaccurate", regardless he did refuse to meet/thank our wounded in Germany because his rock start tour....errr....I mean campaign tour was more important than thanking the troops and of course he couldn't take in his legions of photographers. He can try to spin it any way he'd like, at the end of the day his true colors are showing through, oh he's a real class act, just like his mentor Rev Wright :( It amazes me people can't see through his BS!

kgoerz
07-26-2008, 15:45
I noticed he didn't meet or talk with any Infantry troops, just a bunch of pougs. Whats the matter, didn't think he would get a standing ovation from a company of 82nd Paratroopers. That whole show of shooting Baskets and a bunch of Soldiers doing the Jig dance was Fu#$@ing embarrassing.

Paslode
07-26-2008, 18:00
Fake or not, I still find Obama arrogant.

Red Flag 1
07-27-2008, 06:50
JJ,

Yup!

0-4 e-mailed out of reach.

RF1