PDA

View Full Version : Cannes film festival

FullGallop
05-22-2004, 20:32
Geeee, What a shocker!

Moore's 'Fahrenheit 9/11' Wins Cannes' Top Prize

CANNES, France (May 22) - American filmmaker Michael Moore's ''Fahrenheit 9/11,'' a scathing indictment of White House actions after the Sept. 11 attacks, won the top prize Saturday at the Cannes Film Festival.

AFP/Getty

''Fahrenheit 9/11'' was the first documentary to win Cannes' prestigious Palme d'Or since Jacques Cousteau's and Louis Malle's ''The Silent World'' in 1956.

''What have you done? I'm completely overwhelmed by this. Merci,'' Moore said after getting a standing ovation from the Cannes crowd.

Moore was momentarily flabbergasted when he took the stage to accept the award, a big difference from his fiery speech against President Bush after winning the best-documentary Academy Award for 2002's ''Bowling for Columbine.''

''You have to understand, the last time I was on an awards stage, in Hollywood, all hell broke loose,'' Moore said.

''Fahrenheit 9/11'' won the top award at a festival that sharply divided Cannes moviegoers, who found a solid crop of good movies among the 19 entries in the festival's main competition but no great ones that rose to front-runner status.

While ''Fahrenheit 9/11'' was well-received by Cannes audiences, many critics felt it was inferior to Moore's Academy Award-winning documentary ''Bowling for Columbine,'' which earned him a special prize at Cannes in 2002.

Some critics speculated that if ''Fahrenheit 9/11'' won the top prize, it would be more for the film's politics than its cinematic value.

With Moore's customary blend of humor and horror, ''Fahrenheit 9/11'' accuses the Bush camp of stealing the 2000 election, overlooking terrorism warnings before Sept. 11 and fanning fears of more attacks to secure Americans' support for the Iraq war.

Moore appears on-screen far less in ''Fahrenheit 9/11'' than in ''Bowling for Columbine'' or his other documentaries. The film relies largely on interviews, footage of U.S. soldiers and war victims in Iraq, and archival footage of Bush.

Just back in Cannes after his daughter's college graduation in the United States, Moore dedicated the award to ''my daughter and to all the children in America and Iraq and throughout the world who suffered through our actions.''

Moore said after the ceremony that he expected right-wing media outlets in the United States to characterize his prize as an award from the French, whose government opposed the U.S.-led war on Iraq. He noted that the nine-person Cannes jury that awarded prizes had only one French member and four Americans, including jury president Quentin Tarantino and actress Kathleen Turner.

Many Americans now realize the French are ''good friends of America who tried to do the right thing and tell us this was the wrong road,'' Moore said. ''We owe the people of this country an apology for the way they were debased and treated in our media.''

:mad:

Surgicalcric
05-22-2004, 20:45
Aww shit. Who would have guessed...

Originally posted by FullGallop
...Moore said. ''We owe the people of this country an apology for the way they were debased and treated in our media.''

We owe them something, but it damn sure is not an apology.

As someone else once said, "F**k the French."

Gypsy
05-22-2004, 20:55
Just goes to show you...there's no accounting for taste. What a slimebag he is. :mad:

NousDefionsDoc
05-22-2004, 21:46
What did you expect? Its Cannes, France: not Cannes, Texas. LOL

goat
05-22-2004, 22:04
We just need moore to stay in france and never return to the US.

Solid
05-23-2004, 03:12
Interestingly, he's very open about it being an opinion piece rather than a documentary, essentially his argument against the war and the POTUS. The danger of this film, in my opinion, will be quite drastically limited if people regard it as an opinion piece rather than a documentary, although it will still do damage.

If this is released before the election, bad, bad things will happen.

Solid

Bill Harsey
05-23-2004, 09:18
Thanks for mentioning this award ol' mikey moore got, he said he did it for the troops. Yeah right, now I'm going out to the shop and finish a batch of pastry decoration knives.

FullGallop
05-23-2004, 10:39
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
Thanks for mentioning this award ol' mikey moore got, he said he did it for the troops. Yeah right, now I'm going out to the shop and finish a batch of pastry decoration knives.

LOL:D

(for) ''my daughter and to all the children in America and Iraq and throughout the world who suffered through our actions.''

What an arse!

I like how this is a "documentary" when like Solid said it is nothing more than opinion. It's just ashame it gets treated as fact and when it's discovered to be full of holes Moore falls back on "it's satire".

Bowling for Columbine was so full of blatant lies and factual errors I can't imagine how poorly this one was slopped together.

The Reaper
05-23-2004, 10:45
I think that Mr. Moore should present a copy of his collected works to Mr. Abu Mussab al-Zarkawi as a like-minded individual.

I would pay money to watch al-Zarkawi saw Moore's head off in his final screen appearance. That is my idea for Mr. Moore's next documentary.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR

Airbornelawyer
05-24-2004, 13:31
Moore said after the ceremony that he expected right-wing media outlets in the United States to characterize his prize as an award from the French,... . There were 9 members of the jury:

Quentin Tarantino, American director, President of the Jury
BenoƮt Poelvoorde, Belgian director
Edwidge Danticat, Haitian-American novelist
Emmanuelle Beart, French actress
Jerry Schatzberg, American director
Kathleen Turner, American actress
Peter Von Bagh, Finnish director
Tilda Swinton, British actress
Tsui Hark, Chinese director

Congratulations for doing your part to actually prove that otherwise pathologically lying sack of shit right about something.

Solid
05-24-2004, 14:43
I suppose that one angle here could be that it WAS a great film. From what I read, he through the film makes a very cohesive and persuasive argument. This doesn't make what he's arguing right, of course, but it might give the film the merit awarded by the Palme D'Or.

I must reinforce the fact that I think presenting this kind of polemic -especially before elections and in the guise of a documentary- is morally bankrupt and hints at the fact that for all of Moore's supposed "great attributes", he is above and beyond a hypocrite.

Solid

DanUCSB
05-24-2004, 14:50
That's fine. The only main effect the award is going to have is to give it a larger critical audience. And the emphasis there is on critical. All the people that would mindlessly love it were already going to see it anyways--it's those that come at it with a questioning mind that are going to be pulled in with the extra publicity.

Besides, hell, Cannes, they have the right to crown whomever they wish. If they wish to crown an idiot, that only devalues them as an institution.

Wiseman
05-24-2004, 15:08
This festival sounds like an event where each director gives each other a pat on the back by giving awards regardless of quality.

Airbornelawyer
05-24-2004, 15:13
As I said elsewhere, the main criterion for awards like the Palme d'Or seems to be the film which most allows the assembled movie industry luminaries to feel a smug sense of superiority over the people whose ticket purchases pay for their lifestyles.

Martinez
05-24-2004, 16:13
Originally posted by The Reaper
I would pay money to watch al-Zarkawi saw Moore's head off in his final screen appearance.

I concur with The Reaper. This Michael Moore character, I don't know much about and don't understand why he is a "celebrity." I feel that this individual is morally bankrupt. He is fat and unkempt. He is, without a doubt, one of the ugliest men I have ever seen. He is so ugly that I cannot stand viewing photos of him and when they are shown I must quickly turn away.

Jennifer Martinez sends

FullGallop
05-24-2004, 17:04
Ugly huh? Check this out, but I warn viewing this MM pic is not for the weak hearted, children, work, or those on medication!

http://www.brokennewz.com/displaystory.asp_Q_storyid_E_850moorecannes

Since M. Moore seems to enjoy lies cloaked in satire this seems fitting.

Please forgive me for the mental anguish this may have caused.:eek:

Martinez
05-24-2004, 17:10
Oh Lord. He's gay too? I wouldn't doubt it.

Jennifer Martinez sends

Gypsy
05-24-2004, 17:13

Please forgive me for the mental anguish this may have caused.:eek:

No.

LOL! Sweet Mother...that is just...I'm speechless....

Bill Harsey
05-24-2004, 18:11
Ugly huh?

Please forgive me for the mental anguish this may have caused.:eek: I can't believe I looked at that. FullGallop, I owe you one Buddy.

Roguish Lawyer
05-24-2004, 18:26
Whatever it is, I'm not looking!

Martinez
05-24-2004, 18:32
I think you should look. It's really disgusting though. He is an embarrassment to men everywhere.

Jennifer sends

DanUCSB
05-24-2004, 18:33
You know you want to. :D

Gypsy
05-24-2004, 18:36
RL you simply must! He is hideous, but it is a good pic for one's diet. :p

Bill Harsey
05-24-2004, 21:07
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
Whatever it is, I'm not looking! RL! YOUR RIGHT, DON'T DO IT!!! That image could cause permanent damage to your young innocent brain!

Bill Harsey
05-24-2004, 21:13
Originally posted by Airbornelawyer
There were 9 members of the jury:

Quentin Tarantino, American director, President of the Jury
BenoƮt Poelvoorde, Belgian director
Edwidge Danticat, Haitian-American novelist
Emmanuelle Beart, French actress
Jerry Schatzberg, American director
Kathleen Turner, American actress
Peter Von Bagh, Finnish director
Tilda Swinton, British actress
Tsui Hark, Chinese director

Well said Sir and thanks for listing the very group of people I'd trust with the security of the free world.

Roguish Lawyer
05-24-2004, 21:15
That's it?

I looked. Was expecting something much worse based on the comments. :rolleyes: LOL

Bill Harsey
05-24-2004, 21:17
I forgot, you live in California.

Roguish Lawyer
05-24-2004, 21:20

LOL -- Yep! We see that kind of stuff walking down the street every day. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along. LMAO

Roguish Lawyer
05-24-2004, 21:23

Actually, I really ought to take this opportunity to clarify something. There really are two states within California. And I'm not talking Northern and Southern either -- it's really Eastern and Western, but more accurately SF/LA vs. the rest of the state. There are many parts of California that are pretty normal and populated by normal people. Just have to stay outside the two big cities and the surrounding areas, generally speaking.

If the GOP didn't keep screwing things up, CA would vote Republican -- like it did for Ronald Reagan twice.

FullGallop
05-24-2004, 21:55
OK, I believe it is a photoshop'd picture of MM's head morphed to John Kerrey's daughter who appeared at Cannes, in that sheer dress. Obviously they added the bloat as well. I think we can imagine it's a pretty good representation of reality though, as scary as that might be........... 'cept for Californians:D

Bill Harsey
05-25-2004, 09:22
FullGallop, Thank goodness you explained that, I know you guys are pretty tough, was worried someone might be dating that.

Bill Harsey
05-25-2004, 09:35
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
Actually, I really ought to take this opportunity to clarify something. There really are two states within California. And I'm not talking Northern and Southern either -- it's really Eastern and Western, but more accurately SF/LA vs. the rest of the state. There are many parts of California that are pretty normal and populated by normal people. Just have to stay outside the two big cities and the surrounding areas, generally speaking.

If the GOP didn't keep screwing things up, CA would vote Republican -- like it did for Ronald Reagan twice. Sir Rogue, I've driven the length of your state a couple times and fully agree, same thing is happening with Oregon with the population base in Portland (with a fully developed epidemic of extreme liberal politics, wait!!! A Professional Soldiers FIRST!!! I'm going to hijack my own post!) > We should have the CDC investigate Liberals as a form of rampant epidemic communicable disease< ok, done with that. Portland politics drives the whole state which for the most part is rural resource providing. This isn't working very well.

DanUCSB
05-25-2004, 10:14
Hell, we have our very own microcosm of the whole state right here in the county where I live. A city that's the bastion of liberal hippie politics (led by the vanguard of easily-led UC students), conflicting with an ignored majority of ranchers/farmers/vintners. Guess who gets all the media attention?

FullGallop
05-25-2004, 11:16
FullGallop, Thank goodness you explained that, I know you guys are pretty tough, was worried someone might be dating that.

LOL, I don't even think a moose in heat would date that.

I lived in Portland for a year in the early 90's and I remember people there were all up in arms over the influx of Californians to the state. A few miles from my apartment there was a huge billboard with a picture of a swarming crowd walking down the street. Something you might see at rush hour in downtown New York City. The phraze at the top of the sign was "Oregon,were full". I was kind of surprised to see that.

Been to CA as well and I agree.........there are all types though I was only in the northern part of the state for a short time.