PDA

View Full Version : What SF Guys Like

The Reaper
05-22-2004, 13:14
In keeping with echoes' thread, lest some think we hate everything, here is an extended list of what I like.

Other SF guys, feel free to add on, it is long, but not all-inclusive.

TR

I like the satisfaction of a difficult job well done.

I like SF NCOs who do the job before I even realized that it needed to be done.

I like the feeling of getting back to base with the mission accomplished and everyone safe, of sitting down with a cooler of ice cold beer to swap lies and tell stories while we clean weapons and turn-in gear.

I like being able to tell my people to take off early on a Friday afternoon.

I like the camaraderie of a Friday afternoon in the sun on the deck of the GB Club.

I like watching the last round of a tight group settle down into the center of the pattern.

I like knowing that I could just grab a bag, hop on my bike, and ride to the other side of this great country, just because I decide I want to.

I like the mellow, smooth burn of a fine bottle of whiskey, and a warm fire to sip it by.

I like the taste and smell of a good hand rolled cigar, and the occasion that prompted its burning.

I like going 10 for 10, with 10x's.

I like the way a sharp knife cuts cleanly and effortlessly, like the material being cut is separating in anticipation ahead of the blade.

I like good manners, giving and getting respect.

I like my kids climbing into my lap, telling bedtime stories, and tucking them in with endless kisses and hugs.

I like John Wayne movies, and happy endings where the bad guy gets what is coming to him, the hero rides into the sunset with the girl.

I like the smell of a new car, the smoothness and perfection of it.

I like it when my son hits a home run, or my daughter wins a prize.

I like standing on the ramp at five miles above the earth, loaded for bear, and when the jumpmaster points, stepping off into the void like a commuter steps off the curb.

I like landing with just the right amount of wind (and luck) to stomp the marker in the center of the pit.

I like watching my team win a close game.

I like it when a pretty girl smiles at me.

I like it when a vet sees me in uniform, and nods, and we share a secret bond of brotherhood.

I like it when people say "Thank you".

I like sunsets at the beach.

I like it when my wife pats me on the back, and says, "I still love you".

I like taking my family to the State Fair on a crisp autumn day.

I like the feeling of a fresh haircut and a shave.

I like watching the leaves change in the Smokies.

I like grilling out, and homemade ice cream.

I like football games in the fall.

I like puppies, their look, their love, their curiosity, and their clumsiness.

I like being able to say, win or lose, that I did my best, and didn't let anyone down.

I like it when people speak the truth, whether it is PC or not.

I like the smell of freshly mown grass, with a cold one in my hand.

I like hearing someone say, no one can do that, and doing it.

I like it when the media, on that millionth try, finally gets it right and tells the true story without any embellishment. Thank you Joe Galloway for that, BTW.

I like it when the team is in a tight spot, and the coach looks for me.

I like the feeling of a 1911 in my hand, the feeling an M-4 at the ready, and the feeling of a short barreled shotgun in my hands at the door, ready to breach. Ready, READY....

I like the sound and feel of a Harley getting into its powerband, turning the back tire into smoke and dust, rounding a sweeper and dragging the boards (or the pegs, or better yet, a knee), watching the speedo hit triple digits and the wind hitting you like a fist as you get up to the limit.

I like the feeling of spending a long time calculating and placing just the right amount of demo, counting down, the crack at the "Zero" mark, the sight of the target going where you planned for it to go.

I like the feel of a mini-gun in my hands, getting up to speed on the High Rate and watching the one tracer in five go to a solid visible red line.

I like the smell of leather and gun oil, and the feeling of a well worn jacket, or chair, or holster.

I like coming out of the holster a fraction of a second before the other guy, and putting the bullet where you intended it to go, every time, time after time, after time.

I like taking broken things apart, figuring out how they work, fixing them, and putting them back together.

I like the rumbling sound of a well-tuned, cammed up, big block V-8, with unbaffled mufflers.

I like belt-fed weapons (actually, most Class III stuff).

I like knowing who my family was, where they came from, and what they did.

I like knowing that while my country is not perfect, it is the best in the world from my perspective, and is always trying to be better.

The Reaper
05-22-2004, 13:16
I like hearing the rhythm of a hammer on an anvil.

I like watching soldiers run by in formation, sweating hard and singing Jodies.

I like the smell of wood being cut and buildings going up, the way a new house smells when you move in, pristine and perfect.

I like saddling up a horse and riding him fast and hard.

I like the feeling an axe makes when it is biting true and hitting hard.

I like the feeling and the sound of a wooden bat smacking a fast ball hard and sending it long.

I like watching kids play sports, before money, and drugs, and bad behavior ruin it.

I like (and miss) talking to my Dad and my Grandfather, and knowing that they were men who if they said they would do it, you could bank on it.

I like to laugh, loud, hard and long.

I like coming home.

I like a good meal, good drinks, and good company.

I like the flag, and patriotic songs.

I like it when little kids salute.

I like history.

I like Christmas at home.

I like standing on a piece of ground, and being able to say that it is mine.

I like museums (less some art museums).

I like knowing that my country can count on me.

I like walking through the arms room, particularly the SWCS arms room.

I like the feeling of sitting in the door (or standing on the skids of a Huey), watching the tops of trees brush the bottom of the bird as the pilot does impossible stuff, and the bird takes you home.

I like the shock wave of an explosion nearby when it whacks you.

I like watching my parachute open cleanly.

I like seeing the other guy before he sees me.

I like watching a grenade go exactly where you tossed it, and explode a moment later.

I like knowing that the guys in the wedge or the stack are the absolute best in the world at what they do, having complete confidence in myself, my people, and in our ability, knowing beyond the shadow of a doubt, that like setting a machine into motion, we will accomplish our mission.

I like the sound of a 1911 slide going home, an 870 racking, an M-16 bolt releasing, the "thunk" of a 40mm round dropping into the chamber, and the "bloop" of it going out, the "crump" of it when it hits.

I like doing an Australian peel-off, and running by the Weapons guy with the SAW, knowing that someone is about to get 200 rounds of great big freaking surprise, while I will be setting up a Claymore to reinforce the lesson.

I like being the "go-to" guy, able to step up when everybody is about to give up, and making the thing work.

I like it when the crowd rises, the color guard marches out smartly, the flag waves in the breeze as it is posted, and the band plays the National Anthem. Sometimes, my fist clenches and I sing along, softly.

I like reveille and retreat.

Finally, I like making bad things happen to bad people.

Sdiver
05-22-2004, 13:21
I like that you said MOST everything twice. That means, that it MEANS alot to you. I like that.

NousDefionsDoc
05-22-2004, 13:29
Great list Boss!

Hugs from The Kid

I like people that would rather die than quit.

Checking on a patient three days later and he gives a smile and a thumbs up, then smokes the stress test.

Xs and 10 rings

Being picked because the Old Man KNOWS you're the best

The look and silence because somebody else told them who you are.

Good Teammates

Sharing the shit, both good and bad.

running through leg PT formations on OUR Mata Mile.

The look when you start laughing because your so cold and tired and wet and hungry you can't do anything else - but you're all that way together.

CQB

Monkey Stomping

Watching the look on the Little People's faces when the training finally sinks in and they do it right and you and they know they got it.

The feeling of a 'chute opening at night and KNOWING you're going to get in.

The look on The Kid's face when I sneak down to his room after a few days away and ambush him.

Not having to worry about things while I'm gone because HH6 is trained enough to be a WO on most A Teams.

Working with professionals.

This site

Being told I can't do something and making them eat it.

Working for weeks on an analysis and having it play out just like I said it would.

Manners

My little Green Hat.

NousDefionsDoc
05-22-2004, 13:41
Dragging the Golden Knights packing mats halfway across NC

Cold beer during the hot wash at the Alameida Hotel and knowing tomorrow is Bloody Marys, Amino Coladas and laying out by the pool.

No slack for the new guy

Being called Doc with that measure of respect good medics get (whether its true or not - LOL)

Being asked to go - Being counted on

Hearing "He's good in the woods" or "We couldn't have done it without him"

Promotion parties - especially downrange

Getting new gear or weapons - that smell and trying to figure out how it works and the best application for it

Being considered an equal

Having a pic on the wall at The School House

Being first - as a Team

"You guys are out of your minds"

colt1911fan
05-22-2004, 23:34
Thank you, Sirs.

Solid
05-23-2004, 03:19
Great thread, great thoughts, great writing.

Made my morning.

Solid

echoes
05-23-2004, 04:18
Incredible posts Sir's. I know someone who I will read this too, and They Will be inspired to keep going!

Thank You,
Holly

Gypsy
05-23-2004, 11:04
Thoroughly enjoyed the read, thanks for sharing your thoughts Gentlemen.

echoes
05-23-2004, 13:25
Originally posted by echoes
Incredible posts Sir's. I know someone who I will read this too, and They Will be inspired to keep going!

Thank You,
Holly

Gentlemen, my sis came to visit me today, way out here in the middle of no-where! :) We took a couple of photo's, and she wanted to say thanks for Your Bravery and Service!

echoes
05-23-2004, 13:26
... :)

echoes
05-23-2004, 13:28

echoes
05-23-2004, 13:29

NousDefionsDoc
05-23-2004, 17:52
Great pics Holley, thanks for sharing.

echoes
05-23-2004, 18:30
NDD, I will read that to her, but the Thank's is all for You All, the Brave SF.

Holly

Roguish Lawyer
05-24-2004, 09:09
Enjoyed these lists. Thanks.

Alex F
05-28-2004, 16:59
This was a great read, thanks.

The look when you start laughing because your so cold and tired and wet and hungry you can't do anything else - but you're all that way together.

Yes.

echoes
05-30-2009, 13:12
Was just reading some old threads, and ran across this one! Had forgotten about it, but thought it was worth a bump!:lifter

Holly

Saoirse
05-30-2009, 14:25
Holly Thanks for the bump...as I have never come across this one.

Sirs, thank you for sharing. It means a lot to us "assets" that support the community to know that somewhere along the line we have hit the nail on the head when we have done something to help bring a smile to your faces. Not to mention how honored one feels.

You men are a great bunch of people. Thank you again, over and over!
Big hugs to you!
Saoirse

afchic
05-30-2009, 17:08
Holly Thanks for the bump...as I have never come across this one.

Sirs, thank you for sharing. It means a lot to us "assets" that support the community to know that somewhere along the line we have hit the nail on the head when we have done something to help bring a smile to your faces. Not to mention how honored one feels.

You men are a great bunch of people. Thank you again, over and over!
Big hugs to you!
Saoirse

I couldn't agree more!!!

After a good day, sitting at the pool with the family, with a cool drink in my hand, I read this and the smile across my face is a mile wide.

A perfect ending to a perfect day.