PDA

View Full Version : SSG Todd Chittenden

KW9598
07-14-2008, 14:52
Todd's been gone for fourteen years, but i thought i'd add him to the "In Memory Of" thread. I know there's still quite a few guys out there that knew Todd.

Tragically, Todd died in Starnbergsee- just south of Munich, Germany...Dec 1994. Todd was a great weapons guys, infantryman, and a very close friend.

He's been deeply missed by our entire ODA since the day he died. Todd's family are great people from Michigan and welcomed us with open arms just like family.

Anyway, we miss you Todd.

Stras
07-14-2008, 15:46
Todd was the JR Bravo on my first team. He left for 012 shortly after he passed SFCDQC (What is now known as the SFUWOC). I was on CQ the night they called from Starnberger See and notified the Bn that they had recovered his body. I miss ya Bro..

The Front Gate at Panzer Kaserne was dedicated in honor of Todd in 1994. Due to all the new construction, and Frigging USAREUR rules they removed his name from the ugly brown sign outside the Kaserne. Fucking Bureaucrats... So 1-10th SFG(A) raised some green stuff with donations from SFA Chapter V and placed a Memorial Stone outside the gate and rededicated the gate in 2005. I was honored to be a part of the planning committee and the dedication service.

Every year, when we honor our fallen SF Brethren in Germany for Aller Heilige (Remembrance of the Dead), we drive to Todd's cross by the lake and lay a wreath. I think that the current cross was carved by Demmel.

He may be gone, but he will never be forgotten !

De Oppresso Liber

Ret10Echo
07-14-2008, 17:56
Thanks for the post KW.

Never knew Todd but worked with and for his brother and he was an outstanding teammate.

R10

The Trainer
07-14-2008, 19:53
I attended the last Dragger class with Todd. One hell of a QP. R.I.P Bro.

Stras
10-30-2013, 14:02
Just returned home from conducting the Wreath Laying activities for Aller Heiligen. Feeling a little down after visiting Todd's cross today.. I miss him...

Ret10Echo
10-31-2013, 08:23
Just returned home from conducting the Wreath Laying activities for Aller Heiligen. Feeling a little down after visiting Todd's cross today.. I miss him...

Stras,

Paying respects and keeping their memories alive is a positive Brother.

Thanks for representing us all.

Astronomy
11-02-2013, 10:12
Thanks Stras.

RIP Todd. Tony C. and I were on the same team in B Co.

I remember that particular day very well. At that time, I was the Bn Current Ops NCO.

JJ_BPK
11-02-2013, 11:04
RIP Brother, Vaya con Dios..

KW9598
12-09-2016, 08:02
22 years yesterday. He'd be 51! Thanks for posting that photo Stras I needed it for something.

Ret10Echo
12-09-2016, 11:40
Time goes by......

Rest well Todd

Astronomy
12-09-2016, 13:40
RIP Todd. Never forgotten. Regards to brother Tony and all family.

glebo
12-10-2016, 04:44
RIP Todd. I was one of his bros 18E instructors. If he was like his Bro, he was a good man...

dannyleo
12-13-2020, 08:14
I thought it had been longer than the OP said, then I saw the date of posting. Two of my teammates and I went on the recovery operation, they recovered while I stayed topside. I remember a lot of the folks and the dual investigations surrounding the entire episode. But most of all I remember the sense of honor, respect, and humility we all felt as we did our duty and brought his body to the surface and finally back. I was so saddened but at the same time focused on how I had to do my job. A lot of back story to Todd. All reflective of how he was never a quitter. I'm glad y'all took care of the gate name issue. I'd been gone so long I didn't know about it. RIP Todd.