PDA

View Full Version : House fire last night

PSM
07-09-2008, 13:53
Our neighbors (probably) lost their house last night. They were eating dinner at about 2045 and heard a loud pop that they thought was a firecracker. Then they saw smoke at the top of the stairs. When they checked it out, their home-office was fully engulfed.

Another neighbor, my son, and I got there just as HBFD EMS pulled up. They didn’t have leads for their two frightened dogs (one totally deaf) but other neighbors grabbed them and tied them up.

Fire units from Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, and Torrance were on scene about 5 minutes after EMS. El Segundo rolled up about 10 minutes later. But it burned hot and fast. Apparently it started in the garage and spread to the office upstairs above it.

He’s a retired insurance agent so that might be a plus. They are also raising a teen-aged grandson.

The husband lost his wallet and all of his important papers. He had no backups. His medications were also lost. She ran out without her purse but one of the firefighters saved it, several birds, and tossed some clothes under a tarp.

One neighbor offered to put them up for the night. He and his family are going to Hong Kong for two months, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they invite them to housesit while they sort thing out. Other neighbors brought blankets, coats, etc., and I got them some toothbrushes, toothpaste and other toiletries.

A couple of us stayed with them until the FD finished their preliminary investigation at 0300. The garage had flammable liquids stored near the water heater and they also found a melted six-outlet adapter that was behind a pile of wood, but nothing definitive yet.

This event has made me re-evaluate some of my bug-out preparations.

Pat

The Reaper
07-09-2008, 14:01
Bottom line is, all that stuff can be replaced or forgotten.

If there is a fire, and you do not catch it early enough to try and extinguish it, get your family out first. Grab a phone on the way out, preferabley a cell, and call 911. Yet another reason to keep your cell on charge at night in your bedroom, along with a flashlight and self-defense items. Do not waste time with pets, etc.

You would not believe how many people die every year going back in for animals or property.

Develop and rehearse your fire plan now (crawl, walk, run), before you have an opportunity to execute a life fire evacuation.

TR

Pete
07-09-2008, 14:02
A house can not have too many Fire & Smoke Detectors.

Upstairs, Downstairs and Garage are a good place to start.

CO2 detector if you burn any oil or gas things.

Three 9 volts a year is a small price to pay.

Home Fire Safty is a full time job. Look around folks.

PSM
07-09-2008, 16:35
A house can not have too many Fire & Smoke Detectors.

Upstairs, Downstairs and Garage are a good place to start.

I asked the wife if they had smoke detectors upstairs. She said that they did. I asked if they went off. She said no because they were under the bed without any batteries.

HBFD has been here since early this morning and MBFD and RBFD pulled up about 30 minutes ago. They still don't have a source.

Their original single story house, as well as ours, was built in 1956. Our second story addition was done in 1980. I'm not sure when their's was done. A month or so ago our microwave started acting up and I thought it was just getting old. Two weeks ago it died. BUT, so did the coffee maker. I checked the line voltage and got 5 VAC. I called an electrician and ended up replacing the electrical service panel. I sleep much better now.

Pat

nmap
07-09-2008, 17:40
I'm sorry to hear about the fire; however, I admire the community spirit that seems to exist where you live.

In terms of preparedness, I make scans of important documents. Then, I e-mail them to myself at a gmail account. It's easy, cheap - and reasonably reliable. (And if you can't trust Google, who can you trust? ;) )

Documents that need to be secure can be saved as PDF documents, password protected, and encrypted. With a home office, the equipment and software might be treated as a business expense.

Surgicalcric
07-09-2008, 17:47
...CO2 detector if you burn any oil or gas things...

I think you mean CO detectors brother... :p

PSM:

Glad to hear everyone got out okay. Too many times, as noted by TR, people have been pulled from burning buildings after they have returned for items which should not have been returned for.

Personally I have found that people take fire too lightly. It is serious business and takes many lives every year due to lack of aforementioned preparation.

Crip

The Reaper
07-09-2008, 17:53
I think you mean CO detectors brother... :p

Crip

Wasn't going to say it.

Made that correction on here before.:D

TR

Surgicalcric
07-09-2008, 17:57
Wasn't going to say it.

Made that correction on here before.:D

TR

Well you know...its hard not to be a firefighter sometimes.

Crip

AngelsSix
07-09-2008, 19:43
Nice catch. Monoxide/dioxide.

Which reminds me....my smoke alarms went off during the power outage last night when I started burning candles....and since they are hardwired and connected, one goes off, they all do, even without electricity (batt backups). Dogs and cats were going nuts. At least I know they work. When I went to the office, the candle I had lit there was smoking so bad it had filled the room with a haze. Amazing how sensitive these things are. I bought new 9 volt batteries today and will change them all tomorrow. I have learned from the house fires I have been to.
As far as a plan to get out if need be, I have my vehicle parked out in the driveway, I keep the key where I can get to it in the event of an emergency and throw the dogs in the back. My cats are probably not going to make it if there is a fire, they stay upstairs.

Gypsy
07-10-2008, 14:29
Glad your neighbors got out alive, PSM.

Pete
07-10-2008, 15:44
Well you know...its hard not to be a firefighter sometimes.

Crip

Well, I could try the old "I was just testing you" route but I'll just come clean and say "I knew what I wanted to say but it just typed out wrong." Fingers were fine - it was the brain driving them.:D

airbn5
07-11-2008, 11:19
I asked the wife if they had smoke detectors upstairs. She said that they did. I asked if they went off. She said no because they were under the bed without any batteries.

Pat

Glad to hear they made it out. My heart always goes out to anyone who has lost it all in a fire. This situation could have had a very different outcome had it occured just hours later once in deep sleep.

Back when I was a fire dawg we would tell the public "Change your batteries every birthday."

greenberetTFS
07-11-2008, 14:34
The family,my 4 kids,myself and wife went through a house fire and very fortunatly survived without any injuries....The cause of the fire was a switch in the refrigerator that monitors its "frost free"capabilities. It got stuck and over heated...The unit got to hot and it started the fire...We did go after the 2 dogs we had and they also survived.....The glass bottles exploding and fire alarms going off saved us I'm sure....The best advice I can give is make sure your fire detectors batteries are working......

Teddy

Monsoon65
07-12-2008, 18:59
You would not believe how many people die every year going back in for animals or property.

Especially animals. I remember when I was a kid and they said to forget about going back in for animals, and that 9 times out of 10, they will find their own way out of a fire better than people.

The Reaper
07-12-2008, 19:07
Especially animals. I remember when I was a kid and they said to forget about going back in for animals, and that 9 times out of 10, they will find their own way out of a fire better than people.

Just leave the door open and they are on their own.

TR

PSM
07-12-2008, 19:32
Just leave the door open and they are on their own.

TR

The two dogs in this case did self evacuate. The leash problem was for the safety of the firefighters and lookie loos. The GSD had just had surgery and was, of course, very frightened.

greenberetTFS: I'm glad everyone got out ok. That was a pretty odd cause.

HBFD, MBFD, and RBFD investigators came back the next morning and still have not narrowed down the cause. The insurance company investigator came yesterday but I have not talked to anyone about his conclusion.

Pat

clapdoc
07-13-2008, 18:41
We lost our home in December, 2003. The home was built in 1894 and had been in our family since 1902. It was a total loss, our three daughters got out but we had 2 dogs and 1 cat that did not. My wife and I were in Las Vegas, Nv. at the NFR (rodeo) Our youngest daughter had to be pulled thru a window by a hand we had here feeding stock.
The fire was arson and we go to court in 2 weeks to finally get the the guy.
I am so glad that everybody got out.

clapdoc sends.

The Reaper
07-13-2008, 20:17
We lost our home in December, 2003. The home was built in 1894 and had been in our family since 1902. It was a total loss, our three daughters got out but we had 2 dogs and 1 cat that did not. My wife and I were in Las Vegas, Nv. at the NFR (rodeo) Our youngest daughter had to be pulled thru a window by a hand we had here feeding stock.
The fire was arson and we go to court in 2 weeks to finally get the the guy.
I am so glad that everybody got out.

clapdoc sends.

Setting fire to an occupied dwelling, now that should get someone LWOP.

Best of luck to you, hope the arsonist never gets out, and has an understanding cellie to give him all of the love he needs.

TR