PDA

View Full Version : July 4th. What does it mean to you?

Sdiver
07-04-2008, 17:32
As we, a Nation, celebrate the "Birthday" of these United States of America, what does it mean to you?

Is it just a chance to spend time with family and friends, to which we spend so little time with, what with our hectic schedules?

Is it just "another day off from work", to "recharge" our batteries, to later have to go back into the grind of our daily lives?

Is it a time for reflection of days and friends gone by?

Is it a sense of pride in ones self, that we are fortunate enough to live in a country, (as dysfunctional as it my be at times), that allows the freedoms that have been granted to us, by our founding fathers, and protected by the men and women that have gone before?

What does this day, July 4th, mean to you?

*apologies to those PS.com members that do not live here in the U.S., but please tell us your thoughts.

Doc Dutch
07-04-2008, 19:43
Everything. In other words what does it not mean?

This country gave me my family, my wife, my education, my home, my hopes and my dreams. It allows me to practice my religion (Christianity) without persecution. It provides safety and freedom. The ability to be a "rugged indiviualist" and stive without the constaints of a class society that would otherwise hold everyone back. It provides freedom against tryranny and against slavery. I can vote for whomever I want and not be punished or have my vote changed for a pre-arranged candidate. I can speak out against my government if I want and meet with elected officials and tell them what my community needs. I became a surgeon and have had many educational opportunities to help me achieve. I am allowed to teach many residents, interns and medical and respiratory care students. My home is not being raided by police. I can seek out legal advice and am considered equal to all men under the law. I get up every morning and save lives in my hospital which was my ultimate dream. This is why I keep the Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights and Constitution framed on my walls at work.

The cost is what? Pay some taxes. Gladly. But perhaps that is not enough. We all have the duty to stand up and help perserve this union. This is something I think escapes many Americans on this 4th of July, but they remain safe because of the deeds of other men and women that gave their lives to keep them safe. Those men and women are still fighting on foreign shores to protect all of us and our ability to vote.

So, at the age of 44 years, being a burn and trauma surgeon, concerned about the military personnel in harm's way, I raised my hand to take the oath, to help those young men and women fighting to protect our freedoms and way of life. I just took the oath last week to join the Arizona Air National Guard. I believe that every American should serve to honor their country and protect these shores. At least in some capacity even if in the Peace Corps. I am later than others and much older, but I believe in our country. I believe in our flag and what it stands for. I love to see the flag fly and waving in the breeze and will gladly defend these shores or go where ordered.

This is what the 4th of July means to me and what this country means as well.

Good Bless America, the President and the people of the United States of America and all of the men and women in uniform in all branches of the US Military on this day. God bless all of you for having served and continue to serve in the Armed Services.

Happy Fourth of July,

Dutch Matthews

Dad
07-04-2008, 20:44
Freedom

AngelsSix
07-04-2008, 23:07
It means that there were people in this country that stood up for the rights of the individual over the government. My how times have changed.............

gagners
07-05-2008, 07:51
Until recently, it was (ashamedly) just another long holiday weekend - at least that's how we treated it. Yesterday I was having a beer at camp by the lake and my mother-in-law sat down next to me and said: "Beautiful day, huh?" I said yes, it is. She responded with "And we're able to enjoy it, however we want to, thanks to you." And gave me a hug - (rare). Gotta admit, I was a little embarrassed, misty eyed, and proud of my chosen profession...

So to all the servicemen and women on the board: Thank you for what you do. It's cliche'-ish, but I don't give a damn.

grog18b
07-07-2008, 09:02
To me, the 4th is a time to celebrate the Nation. To be proud to be an American, and instill in my daughter the same sense of pride. It is a time to reflect on all that our founding fathers put on the line, to ensure we live in a Nation based on freedoms, Governmental limitations, and where anyone can accomplish anything they set their minds to.

It was very good timing that SCOTUS made the Heller decision. It gave me one more freedom to celebrate. GROG

Onuma
07-08-2008, 01:57
I've been pretty busy on most of my Independence Days since I joined the military. Deployments, training, etc.

This year I chose to volunteer my time at Arlington Cemetery to plant flags. There were so many volunteers, that there was actually a waiting list. It makes me proud to know that there were that many patriots willing to give back to their nation, some how, some way.

It's more than just a holiday. It's one day we Americans use to represent our entire history and belief structure as a country united. Family, friends, food, and freedom. What more could you ask for?