PDA

View Full Version : Hapless Goal?

ChaoticVirtuoso
06-30-2008, 05:52
Edit: Thank you Reaper

The Reaper
06-30-2008, 09:25
Hey guys, I have not posted on these forums in FOREVER it seems. I am active over on SOCNET (as "CV") and have been since '04. I am looking for anyone in 19th Group that could assist me. For those who do not know I was wounded in combat in May of 2005 and was subsiquently retired (medically) in 2006. After some great conversations with some AD SOF comrades I am looking to fight the system and continue my goal of serving as an SOF soldier.

My line of thinking is that if there are SOF personnel that were able to stay in with missing limbs and other disabilities, that I should be able too. I am willing to take this to the max and it is very important to me. If anyone can supply me with any contacts I would be very appreciative. I am willing to forgo my VA rating (100%) and my Army retirement (retired rating at 50%) to do this. I am extremely motivated and have all of the physical and mental faculties to accomplish this. There is no reason for an experienced soldier to sit on the side-lines while the Army is having recruitment issues.

Please help :boohoo :D

CV:

Thank you for your service, and your sacrifice.

While your goal is admirable, and you may be able to serve in a support role in some unit, the guys who are being permitted to remain on AD with amputations, etc. are already SF qualified, and in most cases, sufficiently senior that they can move to a desk job if need be, where their limitations are less significant and their experience is more of an asset.

If you are looking for a support job, there may be a way to make that work, and I hope someone can assist you. As an SF applicant, AR 40-501 is going to be your Bible, and I do not think you will be waiverable.

Very best look in your efforts, and do not be a stranger here.

TR

ChaoticVirtuoso
06-30-2008, 09:33
Reaper, thank you for your reply and information. Everything you said is true and is a pragmatic assessment of the situation. I will keep driving on and let things lie where they fall. If it is to happen, then great. If not, that is completely understandable. No worries, I will not be a stranger here and hope I can continue to contribute within my bounds of experience and knowledge.

Peregrino
06-30-2008, 11:36
I echo TR's comments and also wish you the best. With that said - You need to carefully consider ALL of the ramifications of "giving up" your disability rating and pursuing additional uniformed service. The VA is not your friend. Your disabilities will be around a lot longer than anything you might be able to contribute to the fight. Speak with a Veteran's advocate with one of the service organizations DAV, VFW, etc.) and learn the facts before you commit yourself. Take it from somebody who's seen his share of government "insurance adjusters".

ChaoticVirtuoso
06-30-2008, 11:40
Roger, and thank you for the information and advice.