PDA

View Full Version : The next A Co. 2/20th tryouts?

ranger2339
06-19-2008, 08:19
When is the next tryout? I thought it was Oct. but somebody said Sept. 6-7th?
I would call down there, but I am pretty sure they are sick of me calling to ask one question here and there, so I'll take advantage of this forum to answer my questions.

Also I have a question about the LBE/LBV deal on the packing list. I have a TAC vest that I got issued with my rifleman's kit, when we went to Iraq. Is that going to be good to go or no?

Thanks
Axe

The Reaper
06-19-2008, 08:25
When is the next tryout? I thought it was Oct. but somebody said Sept. 6-7th?
I would call down there, but I am pretty sure they are sick of me calling to ask one question here and there, so I'll take advantage of this forum to answer my questions.

Also I have a question about the LBE/LBV deal on the packing list. I have a TAC vest that I got issued with my rifleman's kit, when we went to Iraq. Is that going to be good to go or no?

Thanks
Axe

Get smart and call the unit to ask. Whatever you get here will be unconfirmed and unsupportable.

They can also give you a definitive answer on the vest, unlike the opinions you will get here.

For anyone else reading this, stop asking policy related questions that you need a solid answer on. When all else fails, ask for a copy of the reg or policy letter. Recruiters, Physicians, MEPS personnel, Ops NCOs, COs, SGMs, etc. issue real answers, and frequently in writing. What you get here is opinion, in most cases.

Best of luck.

TR

ranger2339
06-19-2008, 21:35
Roger that, will do!

EDIT: Well I see that there have been 200+ veiws in this thread, either people are that bored or there are people out there that have some questions for the guys at A Co. like I do. Maybe one of the guys from A Co. can chime in. Not trying to sound like a knuckle dragger, but just trying to use this great resource that we have.

How many guys usually show up to these tryouts?

Thanks
Axe

A2-20_Recruiter
06-22-2008, 05:27
Normally anywhere from 5-20 people show up.

http://www.il.ngb.army.mil/Army/UnitWeb/20sf/default.htm is the unit's website.

You can call the unit at 708-824-5822/23/24 to confirm tryout dates.

I would strongly recommend you read everything that is on the website prior to calling and asking questions.

As far as the equipment, when you are given the packing list, it is exactly that, no more, no less. It is one of those "Pay attention to detail" things that they teach in basic training. Don't ask "Can I bring this instead of that?" The packing list tells you what you MUST have, not what you should have.

I was the recruiter for the unit for over 5 years and just recently left, so aside from the guys at the unit, I have the best information out there.

WO1 Murphy

Pete
06-22-2008, 05:41
....EDIT: Well I see that there have been 200+ veiws in this thread, either people are that bored or there are people out there that have some questions for the guys at A Co. like I do....

Axe;

Murf gave you the straight scoop.

Now about the 200 views. I'm a regular here and read most of the new threads posts, and new posts to those threads a few times a day.

I read your post and TR's response. Came back and read your reply and then again for Murfs post and your edit. Looked around a bit and then came back and made this reply.

I have no intention of going to the A/2/20th Tryouts and I'm not bored.

abc_123
06-22-2008, 16:31
Roger that, will do!

EDIT: Well I see that there have been 200+ veiws in this thread, either people are that bored or there are people out there that have some questions for the guys at A Co. like I do. Maybe one of the guys from A Co. can chime in. Not trying to sound like a knuckle dragger, but just trying to use this great resource that we have.

How many guys usually show up to these tryouts?

Thanks
Axe

You attend tryouts and selection all by yourself.

ranger2339
06-22-2008, 23:58
Thanks guys,I guess I'll have to dig out the old LCE, and get used to being on more of an individual level. I have no problem with that at all, its just new to me, a far change from Ranger school and the line. I am pumped up to get this show on the road, cant wait for tryouts.

Axe

guardwarrior
11-30-2008, 21:11
Ranger, I am currently in your same position i have called up to the office and next tryouts are in march then they are off for sandbox. I am currently training and ready to get the ball rolling on a hopeful sf career i hope to see you there

MILON
11-30-2008, 21:27
guardwarrior and ranger, I am trying out in march as well and really looking forward to get the process going. Hope training is going well for you guys and I'll see you guys this spring. Good luck

Matt

abc_123
11-30-2008, 21:53
Good luck, gentlemen.

Make it through the pipeline and you'll be joining a good company.

ranger2339
12-04-2008, 14:08
Sorry to say guys but I am out for a while, I'm having a baby with my GF in May, so the SF dream has to be put on hold for a bit. I'm still training and keeping my mind and body fit.
Dont think for one second I dont think about being on a team everyday of my life, I want it so bad but family has to come first this time.

Good luck guys.

Josh

guardwarrior
04-02-2009, 22:10
If there is any QP with A Co that is state side will you tell me if there is going to be tryouts in the fall? If so, when?

abc_123
04-03-2009, 17:57
GW,

Did you not go in the spring?

Now about the fall...Naturally,if you havent't called the unit. Call. If you've called and not gotten anyone... keep trying.

I will defer to a current member of the unit or a member of the BN if they pop onto this thread for specifics. However, I can state with 100% certanty that the unit needs all the quality candidates that they can get.

If you don't find out the info that you need in a reasonable amount of time (that doesn't mean tomorrow) PM me and I will find out more info. There will be tryouts.... From my foxhole however, I have no visibility as to when.

guardwarrior
04-03-2009, 18:05
ABC, thank you for your reply. I have called up to the unit and I have asked to be put on the distro list, I gave them my address but nothing in the mail. As for the spring tryouts I felt as though my mind and body were not ready. I want to be the best I can before I take this step in my career. I continue to do research and will attend this fall.

Green Tip
04-04-2009, 10:21
GW are you going to attend the next tryouts? Since your stateside do you know when it's going to be?

EDIT: Exact date would be really helpful!

guardwarrior
04-04-2009, 15:38
GT, if you read my post clearly I am asking the same question. Yes, I am going to attend in the fall.

abc_123
04-04-2009, 19:56
GW are you going to attend the next tryouts? Since your stateside do you know when it's going to be?

EDIT: Exact date would be really helpful!

Is there an echo in here?

abc_123
04-04-2009, 20:07
GT, if you read my post clearly I am asking the same question. Yes, I am going to attend in the fall. If you need a battle to work with and keep you motivated then PM me.

If there is someone who needs someone else to keep him motivated then you need to run away from him. Read some of the other threads on this board. Do you want someone that you need to motivate on a team with you when you and your nine other Americans and a couple of terps are all you can depend on against several times your number of enemy??

You need to take a really hard look at what you are getting into . It is NOT a game. You think we need a NCO that someone had to "motivate" to be THE senior advisor to an indig COMPANY?

This goes for all you wannabees reading this.

guardwarrior
04-04-2009, 20:55
Roger that. Driving on.

abc_123
04-04-2009, 21:06
Roger that. Driving on.

Good.

PM me if you need me to get you more info (Do not do this tomorrow). If you get more info before then, help your buddies out and post it here.

Until then, do pushups.

Greentip,

You do pushups too.

testedone
05-22-2009, 04:53
Wanted to find out if anyone can PM me or email me with a fall tryout time frame.. I am currently in AFG so making a call is a little tough to do, should be home by then just want to set a goal date...

Thanks for any info you all can provide..

abc_123
05-22-2009, 08:26
The company is busy right now, however there is a rear det back at the office.

All phone numbers still work as I just called there and talked to them. Mr. Bob Simon (MSG, Ret.) is the POC at the Company until futher notice.

his direct email is: bob.simon@us.army.mil

I shouldn't have to say this, but if you email him and don't get a response in a reasonable amount of time, don't just sit there and wonder what happend. Pick up the phone and call. Shit happens.

Gentlemen, The company has plenty of room for more team guys and SWC has school slots. Give Bob a call. He's looking to get qualified guys to selection.

abc

testedone
05-22-2009, 14:21
Thanks much...

Foxsix
06-19-2009, 10:49
Just to let you know that we will have tryouts 12-13 Sep 2009. I am working the Rear Det for the unit while they are mobilized. I retired back in 2006 as a MSG with the company.

Feel free to contact me for any information. E-Mail is probably the best, but calling is an option 708-824-5821, if no one answers the first time, keep trying.

We are always looking for good solid candidates.

Bob

testedone
06-22-2009, 08:17
Thanks, I got your email...

Foxsix
06-24-2009, 14:22
The next A/2/20th SFG tryout will be 12-13 Sept at Marseilles Training Center. You can call the unit at (708) 824-5821/5822 there are 3 guys working the Rear Det now or e-mail bob.simon@us.army.mil

I will send out packets with info that you will need for the tryouts. If you happen to be unavailable on those dates, contact the unit and we will see if we can arrange another time.

Just need to be sure you are serious. Minimun PT score is 240 in your age group.

This is fact as I am working the Rear Det and you will probably talk to me if you call, and that is my work e-mail address.

Bob

Khanman
06-29-2009, 10:35
Bob,

Thanks for all the info, I have emailed you about my interest in the tryouts.

-Khan