PDA

View Full Version : 10th groupers in the late 70s, early 80s

RichL025
06-11-2008, 23:12
Anyone remember a Bn Doc by the name of Tolafson? Met him at a drug rep dinner tonight, started talking, he knew I was still on active duty (no longer in SF) and eventually pried out from me my background, and fessed up to his.

Small world.

lksteve
06-12-2008, 05:36
Tollefson was the Det Europe surgeon 79-82 or so...our wives still exchange Christmas cards...

RichL025
06-12-2008, 21:33
Yeah, he's a general surgeon up here in the pacific NW now. He knows some of the older staff surgeons at my program here at Madigan (Ft Lewis). Nice guy, wish I had more of a chance to talk with him last night. We did share, though, that both of us learned to ski in 10th Group with mountaineering boots and crappy NATO-spec skis <g>.

lksteve
06-12-2008, 21:34
We did share, though, that both of us learned to ski in 10th Group with mountaineering boots and crappy NATO-spec skis Who said he could ski...?:D

RichL025
06-12-2008, 21:40
*snort* - the same chucklehead who claimed _I_ could

lksteve
06-12-2008, 21:43
*snort* - the same chucklehead who claimed _I_ couldDet Europe guys were funny...they would strap hang with the cool training....especially the downhill ski training...never saw them when the rucksacks came out...:D (said somewhat tongue in cheek...)

RichL025
06-12-2008, 21:45
What exactly do you mean by Det Europe? Was that what was later called "Berlin detachment?" (Crap, there was another name for it that escapes me. It was shut down in the late 80s IIRC - one of the older chiefs in my company did time there)

lksteve
06-12-2008, 21:48
What exactly do you mean by Det Europe? Was that what was later called "Berlin detachment?" (Crap, there was another name for it that escapes me. It was shut down in the late 80s IIRC - one of the older chiefs in my company did time there)
No...that was Det A...Special Forces Detachment-Europe was the O6 level command at Bad Toelz, allegedly there to provide supervision over 1st Battalion...don't know when they went out of business, to tell the truth...they were still under the impression they were running the show in '83 when I left...

RichL025
06-12-2008, 23:03
Ah yes, that's right... it was Det-A I was thinking of.

When I was in 1-10 the O6 level command organization was... SOF-CE, SOF-TE, something like that... it actually didn't get in our way too much. The )6 was a guy who was liked alot better than our Bn O5 because the latter was a tool of the very first caliber. Calvert was the O6, the O5 shall remain nameless for professionalism's sakes....

lksteve
06-13-2008, 05:41
Calvert was the O6, the O5 shall remain nameless for professionalism's sakes....Calvert was the SFD(A)E S3, later the C Company commander when I was there...good man...nice car...

Judgeroybean
06-14-2008, 10:55
I seem to recall we called em the " Dead A team".

x SF med
06-14-2008, 15:31
Who said he could ski...?:D

Probably the same guys who said I could ski too...

odd how most of the C/2 ski instructors came from 1/10 - and were on the bubble team...

Send the Doc my way - SFA Ch XVI needs new members...

The Old Guy
06-14-2008, 19:00
During that time frame COL Hutton was the was ARSOF(E) Cdr. Quiet the tool, as I had the opportunity to stand before him for several hours (it seemed) as he chewed my backside. He had the MPs come to my quarters and bring me to his office in what ever I wearing. LTC Lehue was his deputy and a tool also.

Did not know the Surgeon.

Stras
06-17-2008, 18:43
7th SOSC(TA) replaced ARSOFE just prior to the move from Bad Toelz to Stuttgart. The long name was Special Operations Support Command (Theater Army). They deactivated all the SOSC's in 1995/1996.

Ah yes, the wonderful days of LTC M.......... and wondering which FM you'd get questioned on..... God forbid you had a BAR in your team room...

Richard
06-18-2008, 03:50
During that time frame COL Hutton was the was ARSOF(E) Cdr. Quiet the tool, ..

During my time in 1-10th, both Bn Cdrs were AHs (LTC Paul Hutton and LTC Jim Guest) and both SFDAE Cdrs were squared away (COL Big John Martina and COL Bo Baker). B TM Cdrs were Ranger Roach and Vladamir Sobichevsky, both good men.

Hutton--an India Delta 10 Tango of the first order--was investigated once for smuggling furniture back from England in one of the SigCo vans...which really sent him into a 'snorting' fit. I think he got away with it because they thought he was too dumb to know any better. :rolleyes: I can't believe he made 0-6. :rolleyes:

Richard

Aoresteen
06-18-2008, 12:10
During my time in 1-10th, both Bn Cdrs were AHs (LTC Paul Hutton and LTC Jim Guest) and both SFDAE Cdrs were squared away (COL Big John Martina and COL Bo Baker). B TM Cdrs were Ranger Roach and Vladamir Sobichevsky, both good men.

Hutton--an India Delta 10 Tango of the first order--was investigated once for smuggling furniture back from England in one of the SigCo vans...which really sent him into a 'snorting' fit. I think he got away with it because they thought he was too dumb to know any better. :rolleyes: I can't believe he made 0-6. :rolleyes:

Richard

Hutton returned as the Det-Europe CDR as an 06 - Ugh!

I had dinner with Ron Clavert, his wife Jan, Duane Barber, and Eric Eckhart last April at Ft. Bragg. All are doing well.

LTC Jim Humphries was the deputy when I got to BT in 1981 - he wrote book on his Viet Nam tour - Through the Valley: Vietnam, 1967-1968. A good read.

As for Tollefson, he was a good doc and did enjoy skiing with us. Glad to hear that he is alive and well.

Richard
06-18-2008, 19:28
Hutton returned as the Det-Europe CDR as an 06 - Ugh!

Glad I wasn't there for that one; I was in 1-7th then. Here's a great 'Snort' (Hutton's nickname 'cause he was always snorting and picking his nose) story.

Jimmy Johnson came to BT from 3-7th and, because of all the old friends from previous assignments, received an appropriately NaOH induced welcome to the FRG in the Rod and Gun Club. JJ was still pretty snockered and wasn't feeling all too well the next day when he reported in to Snort. JJ entered Snort's office to report as ordered, came to attention, saluted, and said, "Sir, Sergeant Johnson.....aaarrrrggghhhh..." as he threw up on Hutton's desk and Hutton. :D JJ became a hero to us younger NCOs, and Hutton and Preacher Hodge made his life miserable until they both left the command.

Anyone out there think you could get away with that today? :rolleyes:

Richard :munchin

The Reaper
06-18-2008, 19:34
Glad I wasn't there for that one; I was in 1-7th then. Here's a great 'Snort' (Hutton's nickname 'cause he was always snorting and picking his nose) story.

Jimmy Johnson came to BT from 3-7th and, because of all the old friends from previous assignments, received an appropriately NaOH induced welcome to the FRG in the Rod and Gun Club. JJ was still pretty snockered and wasn't feeling all too well the next day when he reported in to Snort. JJ entered Snort's office to report as ordered, came to attention, saluted, and said, "Sir, Sergeant Johnson.....aaarrrrggghhhh..." as he threw up on Hutton's desk and Hutton. :D JJ became a hero to us younger NCOs, and Hutton and Preacher Hodge made his life miserable until they both left the command.

Anyone out there think you could get away with that today? :rolleyes:

You guys actually drank lye?

Dayum!:D

TR

lksteve
06-18-2008, 19:40
Anyone out there think you could get away with that today? I wonder what would happen if someone gathered all the paperclips in the headquarters and put them under the rug in the CSM's office...?

Or...made night deposits in his desk drawer...?

That said, I got along alright with Snort...it's easy when you don't much give a...rat's back...

Richard
06-18-2008, 19:54
You guys actually drank lye?

Dayum!:D

TR

TR-

Nope--but we used the NaOh annotation vs EtOH as an in-house shorthand on med charts when somebody had been drinking way too much 'rot gut' and needed serious Rx. Old medic jokes never die...they are just broken down by the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase (like methanol in the liver)...forming formic acid and formaldehyde...and becoming embalmed in our failing memories. ;)

lksteve
06-18-2008, 19:56
Old medic jokes never die...they are just broken down by the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase (like methanol in the liver)...forming formic acid and formaldehyde...and becoming embalmed in our failing memories. Shucks...I need a beer...:rolleyes:

Richard
06-18-2008, 20:00
Shucks...I need a beer...:rolleyes:

And I'll drink to that! :D Anybody got a cold Rosenheimerbrau, Auerbrau, or Grunerbrau for thirsty soldier?

Richard

RichL025
06-18-2008, 22:28
7th SOSC(TA) replaced ARSOFE just prior to the move from Bad Toelz to Stuttgart. The long name was Special Operations Support Command (Theater Army). They deactivated all the SOSC's in 1995/1996.

Ah yes, the wonderful days of LTC M.......... .

When I was dating my (now) wife, we were down in Charleston (where she lived) on a dinner cruise. We shared a table with a young couple - the guy was a Citadel Cadet in uniform. WHen my wife proudly informed him of my previous affiliation, the cadet asked me if I knew LTC M, who was then an instructor there. I believe the next statement was "what the hell is UP with that guy anyway....."

Or when on the bus ready to leave for the airport, for the recovery mission in Croatia to pick the secretary of commerce & the rest of the bodies from the plance crash at Dubrovnik... he gets on the bus before it leaves to see us off and offer us some motivating parting words..... "Don't embarrass me" was my recollection of what we got.

Yeah, he was a piece of work alright.

Oops, am I venting still?

Stras
06-21-2008, 09:39
And I'll drink to that! :D Anybody got a cold Rosenheimerbrau, Auerbrau, or Grunerbrau for thirsty soldier?

Richard

None of those brands... But I do have a stash of Reutberg Helles, Dunkel and Josefi Bock. It's the beverage of choice for a hot day or any day for that matter.

Stras
06-21-2008, 09:46
When I was dating my (now) wife, we were down in Charleston (where she lived) on a dinner cruise. We shared a table with a young couple - the guy was a Citadel Cadet in uniform. WHen my wife proudly informed him of my previous affiliation, the cadet asked me if I knew LTC M, who was then an instructor there. I believe the next statement was "what the hell is UP with that guy anyway....."

Or when on the bus ready to leave for the airport, for the recovery mission in Croatia to pick the secretary of commerce & the rest of the bodies from the plance crash at Dubrovnik... he gets on the bus before it leaves to see us off and offer us some motivating parting words..... "Don't embarrass me" was my recollection of what we got.

Yeah, he was a piece of work alright.

Oops, am I venting still?

Ha, ha.... I think that was LTC B and his wife (AKA the spandex queen) in 1996. God, I still have nightmares thinking about her in spandex riding a bicycle on post, and the comment made "Hey does that bike have a seat on it??" Other than the SF Ball, I don't remember seeing her in anything but spandex....

Of course then you add in the "Troll" and his uniform policy... Beret worn on the Kaserne, patrol cap from the front gate to the woodline, black watchcap can be worn inside the treeline. For christsakes, we're doing a frigging ruckmarch...

As for LTC M, we sent him off to 1st SFG and shared the pain with them..

Smithdogs
08-14-2008, 13:55
Monksbrau, best in Bravaria, flippers! Always remember the 2 sections in a German restaurant, smoking and chain smoking.
Went to Toltz when Aldo Moro got kidnapped and killed by the brigada rosa. Woke up on one of the benchs by the indoor pool, someone went off the diving board and scared the S#$t out of me. Thanks Stewart Karnes for a German Welcome.

OK, I am sorry for trespassing, but do ANY of you medics remember Robert Porter?

Sorry to bother you all.

Smithdogs

lksteve
08-14-2008, 14:18
Thanks Stewart Karnes for a German Welcome.Stew Carnes...engineer on ODA 123 during my tenure as commander....Robert Porter rings a bell, but then again, my ears ring a lot these days...

Smithdogs
08-15-2008, 09:25
Appreceate the holler back. Stew went through with another friend of mine. Stew was Honor Grad at the NCO academy there at Tolz. He introduced me to scnapps from the freezer, Lowenbrau, and puke-through-the-nose.
Porter was Medic on ODA316 with Charlie Brown and JW Martin. They shot a LAW simulator through the wall of 316 that went through 3 walll lockers and all of Lennie Mederos's BDU's that were neatly hanging. He screemed like a wet cat for months. I though it was funny as hell. But then weapons' guys are all sick.
Safehouse in AZ.

Smithdogs

longrange1947
08-15-2008, 11:31
......................... Porter was Medic on ODA316 with Charlie Brown and JW Martin. They shot a LAW simulator through the wall of 316 that went through 3 walll lockers and all of Lennie Mederos's BDU's that were neatly hanging. He screemed like a wet cat for months. I though it was funny as hell. But then weapons' guys are all sick.
Safehouse in AZ.

Smithdogs

I was upstairs when that happened. We were sitting around and suddenly it was, "What the hell was that?" :D

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-15-2008, 11:48
They shot a LAW simulator through the wall of 316 that went through 3 walll lockers and all of Lennie Mederos's BDU's that were neatly hanging. He screemed like a wet cat for months. I though it was funny as hell. But then weapons' guys are all sick.
Safehouse in AZ.

Smithdogs

I thought Rocket Rondiak got credit for that.

lksteve
08-15-2008, 12:13
Porter was Medic on ODA316 with Charlie Brown and JW Martin. They shot a LAW simulator through the wall of 316...Hmmm...when did that happen...? Looking at the dates on your profile, it seems like I was at Devens during your tenure...I wonder if it was in '79 after I wandered off the straight and narrow and went to OCS...?:munchin

Smithdogs
08-16-2008, 11:03
That was I think in 78. Everything was in "simulation" mode. 81mm, LAW, so people get bored.
I blew myself up in Germany improperly disposing of munitions, spent a week in Stuttgart Hospital (which is no more), they called me the "Flash" after that.
Teborg bierbaum was CO then.
I dated LTC Coasta's daughter once by accident, NEVER did that again, he was JUST a little pissed that some low life NCO was dating his daughter, maybe not NCO, just plain lowlife.

Smithdogs

alelks
04-19-2009, 22:04
WOW! I just came across this thread. JW of course is my half brother and retired (sort of) in San Antonio. He's been overseas over the last few years. He keeps saying this is his last huarah trip.

Charlie Brown was actually on my team in 5th SFG when I first came in (ODA 584)

I'm assuming we are talking about Charlie Brown who came from the Indian Reservation as he was also a friend of JW. I hadn't heard the story about the LAW. I'll have to ask him about that one.

AL

Sidekey
01-08-2010, 00:15
Anyone remember a Bn Doc by the name of Tolafson? Met him at a drug rep dinner tonight, started talking, he knew I was still on active duty (no longer in SF) and eventually pried out from me my background, and fessed up to his.

Small world.

I remember Tolafson..if it's the same guy...was in Toelz in the early 70s...but don't remember him being a doc....blonde haired guy ...my memory was that he was a commo guy.

Sidekey
01-08-2010, 00:19
Hmmm...when did that happen...? Looking at the dates on your profile, it seems like I was at Devens during your tenure...I wonder if it was in '79 after I wandered off the straight and narrow and went to OCS...?:munchin

lk....we must have been on site at the same time....i got my launch to OCS from Toelz in Spring 1980...just after Bo Baker died. I remember someone else going before me....the people in personnel were absolutely clueless on how to put a packet together....

Sidekey
01-08-2010, 00:33

Richard

Another good man from that time was, then Captain Vilas Schafnet...probably screwed up the spelling. Ran into him years later in transit through Frankfurt ..had made light Colonel..

lksteve
01-08-2010, 08:00
I remember Tolafson..if it's the same guy...was in Toelz in the early 70s...but don't remember him being a doc....blonde haired guy ...my memory was that he was a commo guy.The doc's name was Tollefson...had a pretty, Australian wife named Margaret...retired out of Madigan as a vascular surgeon, still in the Seattle area, last I heard...my ex keeps in touch with Margaret...tall, maybe 6'2" or so...

I got to Toelz in September of 1980...was in Vicenza prior to that...

Sidekey
01-08-2010, 16:57
The doc's name was Tollefson...had a pretty, Australian wife named Margaret...retired out of Madigan as a vascular surgeon, still in the Seattle area, last I heard...my ex keeps in touch with Margaret...tall, maybe 6'2" or so...

I got to Toelz in September of 1980...was in Vicenza prior to that...

Yes...different Tolefson....the guy i remember was a SSG when i left....had spent a short time in Signal Platoon waiting to go to a team... I was in Toelz from Jan 76 to April 80....then off to Benning's School for Boys...and girls by the time i got there.....best five years of my life in Toelz.. for sure...some great professionals...and then there some who were just "off the hook"....lol I went to Einzelkampfer Schule with ODA 4 in the winter of 76 at Altenstadt Schongau ....standing in the 20 man shower with Ivan Selides....Schoaf (both were big memorabilia freaks) They're singing Deutchland Uber Alles. One of the German Tac Officers sticks his head in (blond haired blue-eyed...looking like the poster child for the Aryan nation)...shakes his head and says, "Nazis, huh?"

Another time a special place....

Hartley
01-08-2010, 18:31
Sidekey, the guy who went to OCS from Toelz before you was a SSG named Cantu - I didn't know him all that well, but I do remember when he got selected.

You & I were at Toelz at the same time - I arrived Jan '76, tho I left in December '79 before you.. I was commo on ODA 5, ski instructor, etc..

lksteve
01-08-2010, 19:32
Sidekey, the guy who went to OCS from Toelz before you was a SSG named Cantu - I didn't know him all that well, but I do remember when he got selected.I went to jump school with Ric...his brother was SF, too, as I recall...Cantu went to Berlin after OCS (he was finishing IOBC when Richard and I started) and wound up dating the daughter of Schoenenburg or one of the other fiefdoms...last time I saw him was at Bragg around 90-91...I think he was in SOSOC...

Sidekey
01-08-2010, 19:53
Sidekey, the guy who went to OCS from Toelz before you was a SSG named Cantu - I didn't know him all that well, but I do remember when he got selected.

You & I were at Toelz at the same time - I arrived Jan '76, tho I left in December '79 before you.. I was commo on ODA 5, ski instructor, etc..

Yes...i'm terrible with names...but now that you mention it...Cantu does ring that foggy bell in my head....good times

Richard
01-08-2010, 21:02

Actually - it was me - Rick Cantu was in the class before mine - Rick went summer of '78 and I left Dec '78 for Jan-Apr '79 BIOCC w/lksteve.

Richard

Richard
01-08-2010, 21:05
I went to jump school with Ric...last time I saw him was at Bragg around 90-91...

Rick and I knew each other in SFTG - Thailand - Tolz - OCS/IOBC - we were FAOs together in Europe and Rick was in Berlin 90-91 when I was at the AmEmbassy-Bonn - last time I saw him was FAO Conference at Chiemsee in Spring '91.

Those were the days...;)

Richard

Hartley
01-08-2010, 23:03
Sure wish I could find one of y'all who remembers ME :) Maybe one of these days one will turn up so TS will believe me..

lksteve
01-08-2010, 23:14
Sure wish I could find one of y'all who remembers ME :) Maybe one of these days one will turn up so TS will believe me..PM me...

Stras
01-09-2010, 15:03
Were any of you guys around Bad Tolz late 70's/early 80's when Vaclav Havel was drawing "The Meeting", the initial meeting between an SFODA and the auxilliary?

I have the prints, and everyone identified who was in the original drawing.

As soon as I can shrink the darn powerpoint slide to within the parameters to post on here, I will.

lksteve
01-09-2010, 15:24
Were any of you guys around Bad Tolz late 70's/early 80's when Vaclav Havel was drawing "The Meeting", the initial meeting between an SFODA and the auxilliary?Yup...and the ex and Havel had a joint art show downtown...

Richard
01-09-2010, 18:00
Havel worked in the graphic arts section down in the basement under the Hqs Cmdt during my time at Tolz - his certificates and plaques were great - he and Joe Beasley did some amazing pen and ink prints during that time.

Richard

lksteve
01-09-2010, 18:48
Havel worked in the graphic arts section down in the basement under the Hqs Cmdt during my time at Tolz - his certificates and plaques were great - he and Joe Beasley did some amazing pen and ink prints during that time.He also taught Czech...

alelks
01-09-2010, 19:13
I thought Rocket Rondiak got credit for that.

Yep,

Just talked to JW this morning and he said that's who it was. He said they had just drawn the simulators and just as Rodiak put it on his shoulder JW saw the wires and yelled "Dont" but it was too late and before he could get the rest out Rondiak fired it.

rdret1
01-24-2010, 14:27
Were any of you guys around Bad Tolz late 70's/early 80's when Vaclav Havel was drawing "The Meeting", the initial meeting between an SFODA and the auxilliary?

As soon as I can shrink the darn powerpoint slide to within the parameters to post on here, I will.

Bill,
I got a copy of that for a plaque when I left 053 in '88. I would like to have the names of those pictured. If you could send them to my email I would appreciate it.

Mitch
01-24-2010, 16:59
Bill,
I got a copy of that for a plaque when I left 053 in '88. I would like to have the names of those pictured. If you could send them to my email I would appreciate it.

Who gave you the plaque? I left 053, and the Army (retired), in December of 87 - missed out on that particular plaque - but the one I did get was pretty good.

rdret1
01-25-2010, 11:50
Who gave you the plaque? I left 053, and the Army (retired), in December of 87 - missed out on that particular plaque - but the one I did get was pretty good.

But you left before I did Chief. We picked up the print and had it signed by Havel when we were hanging around Tolz waiting to go to Belgium. It wasn't meant to be a plaque at that time. When I left the team, they put a plate on it and gave it to me. One of my favorites.

Coaster
03-28-2010, 22:12
I was part of Sig Platoon, actually I ran the Photo Section from 77 to 80. I remember we had an 05B named Tollefson who went on to the Teams. I found out later that all commo guys had to spend 6 months with Sig Platoon before going to the Teams. It is good to see some of the names on here as they bring back some great memories.

Sierra Bravo
03-28-2010, 22:52
Anyone remember Sapmaz?

Vicenza 70's ?

Bennett
03-29-2010, 14:12
He also taught Czech...

LTC Jim Humphries had the eye patch and lived near one of the fisheries along one of our runs. He made a big impression on me when I first got to Tölz as a leg MP going through the 7th Army NCO academy. I heard he passes in the mid 90s. I knew SFC Gary Tollefson from Devens. Rick Cantu came back to Tölz as an officer in C Co, had a hard time of it that Company had a strange Company Commander with too much Ranger in him, drove everyone out. I was lucky to be in A Co and we were gone all the time, JCETs to Norway, Austria, France, Italy and so on or having fun sitting in holes for weeks watching cars go past and reporting them as Soviet Vehicles in the WESAW format on the DMDG. Better yet was the vehicle recognition course in Weingarten. Good times.

MVP
03-30-2010, 08:25
B Co. was very interesting in the days of Cantu and Miller. Never did understand if Cantu was a Tm Ldr or a Co. Exec. When things went well with his tm I think he was Tm Ldr, when not he was the Exec and the Tm Tech took the heat. Best was the initiation of the "Black Deuce" when the Co. went to Graf for Wpn tng, bunch of guys got to go home early and chill out (without other adverse action) for two weeks while the rest of suffered through from start to finish. There was one good idea from those days and that was the Guerrilla Exercise ran in the moutains around Tolz in the fall of 87. I didn't participate as I was PCSing so I don't know all the particulars but the concept was good. I do know some sheep died in the vicinity of Bldg 71 though. I believe it was torture, the opposite form of water-boarding...

MVP

Aoresteen
03-31-2010, 09:57

I took the photograph that Havel used for the drawing. I never got a copy of the drawing but I have quite a few other drawings of his.

He was my Czech instructor as well. Good man!

Lyndsay609
07-24-2010, 19:17
I took the photograph that Havel used for the drawing. I never got a copy of the drawing but I have quite a few other drawings of his.

He was my Czech instructor as well. Good man!

Does anyone know where I can get a print of this drawing (the meeting)?? I've been googling my butt off to no avail. My boyfriend's father is retired 10th group and I know this one is particularly meaningful to him. I'm not actually certain that "The Meeting" is the correct name (his mother said perhaps "The Partisan"?) All I know is the drawing in question they are sitting around a table, some in uniform and some not, looking over some plans/map. Sorry so vague. Trying to make this a surprise so I can't ask them too many questions!

lksteve
07-24-2010, 22:49
LTC Jim Humphries had the eye patch and lived near one of the fisheries along one of our runs....Rick Cantu came back to Tölz as an officer in C Co.
I knew Jim Humphries when he was a Major and was the active advisor to 5/19 in Colorado in the mid 70s and then again in Bad Toelz when he was the Deputy Community Commander...good man...

The Reaper
07-25-2010, 08:39
Does anyone know where I can get a print of this drawing (the meeting)?? I've been googling my butt off to no avail. My boyfriend's father is retired 10th group and I know this one is particularly meaningful to him. I'm not actually certain that "The Meeting" is the correct name (his mother said perhaps "The Partisan"?) All I know is the drawing in question they are sitting around a table, some in uniform and some not, looking over some plans/map. Sorry so vague. Trying to make this a surprise so I can't ask them too many questions!

You might get a better response if you read the board rules and stickies and complied with them.

TR

Michael Langley
03-18-2011, 13:37
(then) CPT Dave Tolefson, M.D. and I first met in SFQC (started Aug 1979, graduated Apr 1980). Dave was on another team (back then it was all officers in our separate class), but really didn't get to know him until we did the 5th SF pre-SCUBA prior to Key West. Dave and I were the "Blues Brothers" (as I was always in O2-deprevation), and my last real memory of Dave was as he brought me back to life from a shallow-water drowning (knot-tying) - I was always in his debt from then on. If you happen do see him again, tell him Mike Langley (ODA 232) says a very hearty and fond hello - although the years have passed, all the great (with some sad) memories remain - the best years of this man's life were my time in Group. He is a great Soldier and a excellent physican - I'd stake my life on that. All very good men indeed.

The Reaper
03-18-2011, 16:38
(then) CPT Dave Tolefson, M.D. and I first met in SFQC (started Aug 1979, graduated Apr 1980). Dave was on another team (back then it was all officers in our separate class), but really didn't get to know him until we did the 5th SF pre-SCUBA prior to Key West. Dave and I were the "Blues Brothers" (as I was always in O2-deprevation), and my last real memory of Dave was as he brought me back to life from a shallow-water drowning (knot-tying) - I was always in his debt from then on. If you happen do see him again, tell him Mike Langley (ODA 232) says a very hearty and fond hello - although the years have passed, all the great (with some sad) memories remain - the best years of this man's life were my time in Group. He is a great Soldier and a excellent physican - I'd stake my life on that. All very good men indeed.

Oh no!

Skimeister is on board!

Great seeing your post Mike. Don't forget to introduce yourself on the Intro thread.

And say Howdy to Mongo for me, if he is still there.

Welcome aboard.

TR

chuckyduck
01-11-2012, 20:17

Small world.

I worked with Cpt David Tolefson at Bad Tolez in 1979. where is he now? Charlie Duckett

chuckyduck
01-11-2012, 20:24
I worked with Dave Tolefson at Bad Tolez in 1979. Where is he now?

Charlie Duckett

RichL025
01-11-2012, 20:40
Olympia, Washington.

greenberetTFS
01-12-2012, 12:35
TR-

Nope--but we used the NaOh annotation vs EtOH as an in-house shorthand on med charts when somebody had been drinking way too much 'rot gut' and needed serious Rx. Old medic jokes never die...they are just broken down by the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase (like methanol in the liver)...forming formic acid and formaldehyde...and becoming embalmed in our failing memories.

After reading all about that s**t,I never realized what was going into my tummy.......:rolleyes: Still going to keep on drinking my beer,at 75 who gives a damn!!!...........:p

Big Teddy :munchin