PDA

View Full Version : Carrier differences

Fonzy
06-07-2008, 18:34
Gentlemen,
I'm leaving shortly for my first deployment in the sandbox (Kosovo was a little slow, a bunch of buddies and I volunteered for another rotation). I've been hearing that the IOTV is great, but is a hassle to get on and off with everything attached. I've been looking into different plate carriers and reading reviews reviews reviews, but I have one question I thought you gentlemen would be able to clear up. Barinig any restrictions on CoC permission to wear personal gear... what is the difference between something like the CIRAS and Eagles plate carrier with Cummberbund?

(I was shopping at http://www.optactical.com/eainveri.html ).

Team Sergeant edit, we know the guy that owns optactical..... ;) it's fine to "hot link his website with ours.

Both are similiar in make as far as I can tell, both require SAPI plates as well as additional soft armor (unless I'm mistaken, the SAPI plates are not stand alone and need soft armor to be effective). Aside from a few costmetic designs, am I missing something that makes up for the about $200 price difference? I already messed up and bought a TAG Plate carrier that I'm in the process of returning ... I'd appreciate any help.

SPC Fonz

jatx
06-07-2008, 19:56
I have some experience with both, and I think it comes down to coverage and comfort. I may be mistaken, but my issued CIRAS feels like it provides both more real estate and armor coverage than the PC w/ cumberbund in the same size. In addition, the shoulders on the CIRAS do a much better job of supporting a load.

I wear my PC w/ stand-alone plates (no cumberbund) when I am training on a police range or a tactical range that is open to the public. The plates give me some peace of mind when I am shooting near people whom I don't know well. Max comfortable load for the PC, IMHO, is about four rifle mags, a couple of pistol mags, an IFAK, a small GP pouch for pen and notebook, and a hydration bladder. Anything more than that and I'd be happier with the CIRAS and/or moving some stuff to a separate MOLLE belt.

BTW, your issued ESAPI plates are not stand-alone and the IOTV soft armor will not fit in the Eagle PC.

geordy7051
06-10-2008, 11:27
I wouldn't worry about buying a personal plate carrier. The OTV isn't that bad. It is better than the IBA and old flackjacket. That is my opinion only. You might also want to look at if a personal plate carrier is going to make you stand from the rest of the guys you are with. That can make you a target. What I think you should be looking at is how you are going to carry your gear comforably.

I say start with a chest rig/vest you like that will let you carry what you need. Look at what other people who have been over have. Find out if they have actually used the gear in country. Find out what kind of job they were doing. Try their gear on if possible. If you can try it, practice getting into and out of a vehicle. I have tried a lot of rigs that were great until I sat in my HMMWV(sp?). I prefer something that doesn't have many permenent, sewn on pouches. I personaly love my HSGI Warlord, but that's because it suits me and the job I do.

Again look to what your mission is going to be and spend the time to do research. Any way, good luck.

Surgicalcric
06-10-2008, 12:29
Fonzy:

There is a reason why it is mandated for Joe to wear the armor he was issued. Choosing between a PC or a full carrier/armor combo like the IOTV/CIRAS/RAV is based on threat assessment(s). I would venture to say, 98% of soldiers arent capable of accurately assessing the potential threat(s) faced and deciding about the level of protection needed for each threat or how to mitigate them. Either way, a PC is not intended for patrolling; its made for DA style hits where you are more worried about small arms fire than being hit by an IED. Another issue is soldiers have NO understanding of ballistics and how it relates to armor choices. This was a monumental problem at the onset of the war which is the reason for regulations on the wear of armor. You picking up what I am putting down??

As for the difference between the Eagle PC w/cummerbund and the CIRAS a few of them are: the PC's area of coverage/protection, even with soft armor in the cummerbund and plate backers (needed as SAPI's arent stand-alone) in the front and rear is considerably smaller than that of the CIRAS. The CIRAS is also a releasable carrier and the PC isnt. The CIRAS can accommodate the addition of DAPS, throat, and groin protectors and the PC isnt designed for such. The armor for the CIRAS is BALCS cut and wont fit the IOTV and the IOTV's armor will not fit the CIRAS.

Stick with your issue carrier; it will do everything you need for it to. And if you needed the PC or a CIRAS for your mission you would be getting them. ;)

HTH,

Crip