PDA

View Full Version : Road Bikers

AngelsSix
05-29-2008, 22:39
And I do not mean motorcycles...

Who rides??

NoRoadtrippin
05-30-2008, 05:48
I definitely ride. I don't get to as often as I like, but man every time I get back on the bike I feel at one with the world. Its probably my favorite form of exercise.

glebo
05-30-2008, 06:06
my favorite thing to do, well, mauybe second. I traded my superglide in last nov for a road king, and I just past 7k miles already. Gotta love the south!

3rdLT
05-30-2008, 12:07
i love it. 07 giant ocr a1 with a couple components i switched out.

NoRoadtrippin
05-30-2008, 19:33
my favorite thing to do, well, mauybe second. I traded my superglide in last nov for a road king, and I just past 7k miles already. Gotta love the south!

And I do not mean motorcycles...

I'm just saying... :p

Thomas_Leo
05-30-2008, 20:24
I ride. Actually me and my dad carpool since we both work in the same building. Since he and I arrive at the same time but leave at different times we just alternate days of who gets to pedal home.

Great ride! About 15 miles, puts us home in around 50min since there are few hills. A little more curtesy for the auto's would be nice, but I'm saving 50% on gas. So it is definitely worth it.:lifter

Thomas

Firewolf
05-30-2008, 21:58
Got A Bontraegar Trek from Operation One Voice a few weeks ago. I've gotten addicted to riding now. I live on post so it's the only way I travel now. Lewis has some great stretches of road.

jatx
05-30-2008, 23:47
Started road racing over twenty years ago and have never stopped riding! Serotta Legend here...

RTK
05-31-2008, 06:17
I ride; A Fuji Finest for my road bike and a Trek 4300 for my mountain bike. Kentucky, however, isn't the best place since it seems like they have contests to see how close they can get to you.

3rdLT
05-31-2008, 18:41
went on a nice ride today before it got rainy. went through downtown annapolis and around the bay bridge. very beautiful area. only 20 or so miles though.

AngelsSix
06-03-2008, 20:13
I am glad to see that I am not the only one crazy enough to decide to start pedaling. I ordered a bike here in SOPines last week, can't wait to get started. I am hoping to be able to spend weekend riding. I usually run, but it is starting to kill my knees. Besides, you ever see a bunch of overweight bikers??:p

lksteve
06-03-2008, 20:39
Besides, you ever see a bunch of overweight bikers??My boss and one of our design engineers...there should be a law against wearing spandex for some folks...in good (cardio) shape for their weight, but we're talking 30-50 pounds overweight for spandex...:rolleyes:

AngelsSix
06-03-2008, 21:18
do they really bike?? Like more than 5 miles??:rolleyes:

lksteve
06-03-2008, 21:51
do they really bike?? Like more than 5 miles
They did a century last month...not as fast as others with the company, but they finished...the corporate HQ is 26 miles from our office and the boss rides that a couple of times a month...both ways...and he bitches to me...:D

Razor
06-04-2008, 08:16
Besides, you ever see a bunch of overweight bikers??

All the time out here, unfortunately. I second lksteve's legislative proposal regarding Spandex, too. :eek:

SF18C
06-04-2008, 08:41
All the time out here, unfortunately. I second lksteve's legislative proposal regarding Spandex, too. :eek:

Two words...Al Dempsy!

DTH350
06-04-2008, 14:42
To those just starting to ride,

If you are going to clip in with bike shoes, make sure you practice clipping in and out in a safe area prior to riding on the street - I was almost killed twice because I couldn't get my shoe unclipped at a red light and fell into the lane.
But after a little practice, I definitely recommend bike shoes. Better workout for the calves and hamstring and helps with a smoother overall pedal stroke.

AngelsSix
06-06-2008, 17:03
Thanks for the advice, it was one of the first things the folks at the bike shop asked. I told them I would ride the bike without anything for a short while just to get the balance and switching gears down to a semi-science. Then when I am ready to put clips on, I am going to go to the shop and have them installed and adjusted to a light setting at first. They will put the bike on the trainer and let me get used to getting in and out of the clips. I have duty this weekend, but next weekend I plan on hitting the streets.:lifter

Red Flag 1
06-06-2008, 17:32
My wife and bought two road bikes last year. We are fortunate enough to live in an area where we can ride with little auto traffic. Safer rides and better air.

Average 3-5 miles 3 days a week. Bikes are nothing fancy, couple of Schwins with enough gears so I don't look too foolish. Not being a rabid rider, Spandex has never been a consideration.

Thanks for starting this thread!

RF 1

3rdLT
06-07-2008, 01:44
I have to say if you are going to start riding longer distances you really need to get the clipless pedals. Before I went out I practiced in a small hallway in my apartment just clipping in and out. I haven't fallen in a while knock on wood :p

AngelsSix
06-08-2008, 19:01
I got the bike on Friday, had duty this weekend, so I will try it out this week. I did not get anything on it yet as far as clips, etc. I left the pedals bare and will ride it like that for a few times to see if I need to make any adjustments. After that I will take it to a shop up in Cary to get the clips installed.

cornelyj
06-08-2008, 21:50
Sounds cool...Sorry Lance but I ride specialized... its great to hear that the hobbies/sports that I enjoy are enjoyed by everyone. Getting started in biking is the best part you get to buy all the new crap and play with it all. eBay is great for cheap parts and necessities like CO2, tubes and tires.
Be fair warned that bike 'fit' is detrimental to the health and happiness of the rider.

Ex. Seat too high... Knees hyper extend on higher cadence. Rider sits more forward and destroys lower back and shoulders and hands. Same goes for seat too low etc. For a beginner this could be a seemingly impossible task because there are allot of adjustments that need to be made for a proper fit. (work googlefu...)

As for pedals I would without a doubt recommend Look's. The entry level keo's are sweet. (I think they are called the classic.) I have a pair on my single speed mtb they can take a beating and still give you a solid/easy "click" in and out with adjustably. I also ride the look keo carbon's, the cheesy iron-man version because they were lighter and look cool.

Never leave home without a spare tube, something to pump the tube up with, and some water. I don't know how many times following this simple sentence would of made my day better.

I have raced for a couple of years on the mean streets here of Miami and Gainesville with the UF MTB and Road squad and an alternate on a developmental VMG team throughout FL,GA and CA. Never had good enough results or any EPO so now back to full-time college. Had a bunch of fun and its great to see that cycling is a life sport.

NoRoadtrippin
06-09-2008, 14:27
I'm scared to carry a tube with me. I never have, and I just know that the first time I do will be the time that I get a flat and actually need the tube. Fate has been on my side thus far. Its like reverse flat psychology.

I also ride Specialized. Love it. Although, Trek's framesets are looking much prettier the past couple of years.

How many of you shave your legs? You know its the only way to be a real rider! :D

jatx
06-09-2008, 17:50
I'm scared to carry a tube with me. I never have, and I just know that the first time I do will be the time that I get a flat and actually need the tube. Fate has been on my side thus far. Its like reverse flat psychology.

You are riding on borrowed time! ;)

Buy yerself a tube, patch kit, levers and a CO2 cartridge pronto.

NoRoadtrippin
06-09-2008, 17:54
You are riding on borrowed time! ;)

Buy yerself a tube, patch kit, levers and a CO2 cartridge pronto.

Ha. I am confident that this is true, but after years of doing so, I am convinced that once I buy a tube and ride with it I will open the gates to the flat tire gods forever.

jatx
06-09-2008, 19:56
Ha. I am confident that this is true, but after years of doing so, I am convinced that once I buy a tube and ride with it I will open the gates to the flat tire gods forever.

Back when we used to need these things called "frame pumps", I was always getting flats, esp. early in the season when the Connecticut roads had a lot of small debris from the winter. I hated frame pumps because they tended to wear the paint off of my Guerciotti's "pump peg".

The alternative was to keep $20 in my jersey pocket to bribe someone into giving me a ride home. Of course, after arriving at my house they would discover that it was soaked with sweat and refuse to take it! I never did spend that $20, think I carried it for three or four seasons... :D

AngelsSix
06-09-2008, 20:43
I like the bike, but it sure is light!! I almost busted my arse a few times because I was so used to a heavy bike. Kind of freaks me out. It rides pretty smooth, need to get the balance issue down a little better, it's been a really long time since I rode a road bike. I miss having dual brakes, and the shifting is a little odd, I am not sure I like the shifters in the brake setup, but I am sure I will get used to it in time. My chain is rubbing in some gears, so I will get that adjusted at the shop. Seems like I have that problem every time I buy a new bike.
I agree on the not carrying tubes because it will bring the wrath of the tire gods down on my head............:D

cornelyj
06-15-2008, 13:43
Never leave home without a spare tube, something to pump the tube up with, and some water. I don't know how many times following this simple sentence would of made my day better.

BORROWED TIME> This may be easy to get away with when you are 5 miles away from your house and you can clack your cycling shoes home; but what about when you are 30 miles out on Sunday night on a dirt farm road and its getting ready to get dark. I did. rode flat for 5 miles then walked 20ish back on a broken rear rim.
Had to buy new rear rim, plus couple new spokes and new cycling shoes. -600 bucks. All for not bringing a tube.

Another good reason to keep money in your jersey pocket is to fold it up and put it between the tube and tire when your tire has worn through at certain hot spots. comparable to mole skin I guess.

cornelyj
08-05-2008, 17:24
Sounds cool...Sorry Lance but I ride specialized... its great to hear that the hobbies/sports that I enjoy are enjoyed by everyone. Getting started in biking is the best part you get to buy all the new crap and play with it all. eBay is great for cheap parts and necessities like CO2, tubes and tires.
Be fair warned that bike 'fit' is detrimental to the health and happiness of the rider.

Ex. Seat too high... Knees hyper extend on higher cadence. Rider sits more forward and destroys lower back and shoulders and hands. Same goes for seat too low etc. For a beginner this could be a seemingly impossible task because there are allot of adjustments that need to be made for a proper fit. (work googlefu...)

As for pedals I would without a doubt recommend Look's. The entry level keo's are sweet. (I think they are called the classic.) I have a pair on my single speed mtb they can take a beating and still give you a solid/easy "click" in and out with adjustably. I also ride the look keo carbon's, the cheesy iron-man version because they were lighter and look cool.

I have raced for a couple of years on the mean streets here of Miami and Gainesville with the UF MTB and Road squad and an alternate on a developmental VMG team throughout FL,GA and CA. Never had good enough results or any EPO so now back to full-time college. Had a bunch of fun and its great to see that cycling is a life sport.

Sorry if anyone bought looks... :mad:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08354.html

Bicycle Pedals Recalled by Look Cycle; Pedals Can Break Causing Cyclists to Fall

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: KéO Bicycle Pedals

Units: About 80,000 (40,000 pairs)

Distributor: Look Cycle USA, of San Jose, Calif.

Hazard: The steel axle inside the pedal can break, posing a fall hazard to cyclists.

Incidents/Injuries: Look Cycle has received 14 reports of incidents with broken pedals, including 7 injuries which resulted in scrapes, cuts, contusions, elbow pain, and a knee injury.

Description: The recalled bicycle pedals are black and were sold separately from bicycles. Pedal models include KéO Classic, KéO Sprint, KéO HM and KéO Carbon. The model name is printed in white on the side of the pedal. Date codes between January 2004 and December 2005 are included in this recall. The date code for the KéO Classic, Sprint and Carbon pedals is on a dial stamped onto the pedal. The date code for the KéO HM is on the bottom of the pedal, with the letters A through L corresponding to the month, and the numbers 4 and 5 indicating 2004 or 2005.

Sold at: Specialty bicycle retailers nationwide from January 2004 through July 2007 for between $100 and $500.

Manufactured in: France

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled bicycle pedals and return them to the place of purchase, or contact Look Cycle USA to arrange for shipping and free repair.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Look Cycle USA toll-free at (866) 430-5665 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. PT Monday through Friday, visit the firm’s Web site at www.lookcycle-usa.com, or email the firm at KeoUpgrade@lookcycle-usa.com
KéO Classic, Spring and Carbon Pedals

Picture of Classic, Spring, and Carbon pedal with indicator for month and year of production

Picture of KeO HM Pedal

On that note know that I haven't had any problems but I will most definitely send mine back for a free repair or replacement.

pheepster
08-05-2008, 19:06
Started road racing over twenty years ago and have never stopped riding! Serotta Legend here...

Nice ride. I've had my eye on one of those for a long time, just can't seem to make the commitment.

Got my first job when I was 14 to buy my first racing bike, which was promptly stolen a few weeks after my first race.:boohoo (Got a nice Bianchi with the insurance money though.) Still have a 50th anniversary Schwinn Paramount built up at my parent's house, beautiful lugged steel frame; it's just a tad too big since I never grew into it.

I built a cyclocross bike a few years back, that's now working as my road bike as well. Works well with all the dirt roads and paths here in Montana. I highly recommend giving it a try for those of you interested.

I worked in bike shops for a long time and used to tell everyone buying clipless pedals for the first time that they would, eventually, fall over in them. It's sort of a right of passage, especially if it's at an intersection with a few witnesses.

jatx
08-05-2008, 21:13
JAGeorgia purchased my first pair of Look pedals in 1986. 25,000 miles later, they were still going strong. Look provided me with the next pair, and they lasted another 50,000 miles - only to be replaced when a lighter model came out. Look is good kit and the company will take care of you.

Pheepster, you should register on the Serotta forum. Owners sell their frames all of the time, especially Legends which will outlast most roadies' desire for the next best thing. I found a guy with my EXACT body dimensions selling one and paid about a third of retail (the frame had about 3,000 miles on it). It is the perfect bike.

Abu Jack
03-18-2010, 17:22
I just found this thread after doing a search. I started riding after I retired and am in the best shape (weight and cardio) that I have been in in a long time. I wish I would have started alot earlier in life. I don't think my knees would be in such bad shape. I have a specialized Allez. I put about 100 miles on it a week. I would like to bump that up a little bit.

I'm thinking about my next bike, a roubaix or tarmac, still looking.

Fortunately we get 3 paid hours a week to do PT. I got in 60 miles so far this week. Boy scout camping this weekend so I wont get in the usual.

I'd like to try racing eventually, but I need to keep building the base.

Speedgod
03-18-2010, 17:47
Great thread!

I own a bicycle shop currently in Utah. Although, I am headed out to Military life soon, I hope to re-kindle a lost love of bike riding. I had raced semi-pro in the mid 90's.

Since owning my own shop, I have not had the desire to get out and ride like I used to. I now swim and run to get ready for SOPC and the SFAS course's.

SG :munchin

BlackHills
03-18-2010, 18:18
I've been riding since 1989, I find it a great way to clear my head and relieve stress. My stable contains mostly Italian road bikes made of steel.

Speedgod
03-18-2010, 20:16
I've been riding since 1989, I find it a great way to clear my head and relieve stress. My stable contains mostly Italian road bikes made of steel.

Any Gianni Motta's (personal fave) in that stable ? Please share.

I miss the old steel Italian bikes, they are works of art imo.

Maybe post some pics also?

SG

NoRoadtrippin
03-18-2010, 20:42
I just found this thread after doing a search. I started riding after I retired and am in the best shape (weight and cardio) that I have been in in a long time. I wish I would have started alot earlier in life. I don't think my knees would be in such bad shape. I have a specialized Allez. I put about 100 miles on it a week. I would like to bump that up a little bit.

I'm thinking about my next bike, a roubaix or tarmac, still looking.

Fortunately we get 3 paid hours a week to do PT. I got in 60 miles so far this week. Boy scout camping this weekend so I wont get in the usual.

I'd like to try racing eventually, but I need to keep building the base.

Hey Abu,

I highly recommend the Roubaix. I have an '04 or '05 and its a dream to ride.

Sierra Bravo
03-18-2010, 21:28
TREK 1.5

Log aprx. 200 Mi per week - absolutely love taking it up into the mountains:)

Masochist
03-19-2010, 06:20
More of a mountain biker myself ... grew up in the woods of PA, so there were more dirt roads and trails than paved surfaces.

T-Rock
03-19-2010, 08:12
Get this thread going again

Sold my Cervelo P3 (Dura-ace/Hed H3 Tri-spokes) :( still have the ole tricked out for Tri GT ZR 2.0 (Ultegra/78* seat-angle/Ksyrium SL‘s) for base building…

When I have saved enough to pay cash for my youngins college, and can throw in the towel on working 60-80hrs/wk on nights - I will return from my sabbatical to Tri’s and road riding…maybe do the Double-Iron prior to 55yo - my lifelong goal…:cool:

Nothing makes you feel more on top of the world than putting in 16-24hr training weeks for IM - Endorphins can become addictive = SPARTICUS !!! :D

Masochist
03-19-2010, 08:38
Nothing makes you feel more on top of the world than putting in 16-24hr training weeks for IM - Endorphins can become addictive = SPARTICUS !!! :D

So true. I've been biking to/from work this week, now that the arctic temperatures (and equally messy roads) are starting to subside. I plan to hit the trails all day Saturday.

Have yet to do a tri or IM, but multiple Century Rides have given me a new respect for perseverance. As well as a few laughs after cursing the wilderness. :cool: After this next round of schools/deployment I'm going to be shooting for my first Olympic tri and build up to the IM.

T-Rock
03-19-2010, 08:59
After this next round of schools/deployment I'm going to be shooting for my first Olympic tri and build up to the IM.

Awesome! Once you start you’ll be hooked. :D

If you’re on the east coast, here’s a link to some pretty good races - nice venues…
http://www.setupevents.com/

Godspeed with you deployment - and thanks!

BlackHills
03-19-2010, 09:02
Any Gianni Motta's (personal fave) in that stable ? Please share.

I miss the old steel Italian bikes, they are works of art imo.

Maybe post some pics also?

SG

No Gianni Mottas, those were beautiful bikes though. I agree wholeheartedly about them being works of art, the newer stuff just doesn't appeal to me like the old ones do. I kick myself for not buying a DeRosa back then but you know how hindsight is.

I have a '93 Ciöcc (SL), a '96 Cramerotti (Oria), a '96 Bianchi Cyclocross (full lugs and Zero Uno) and a '98 Bellesi (Tigged Genius). The Ciöcc has the most miles on it, it's my favorite of the bunch. :) I also have a Scapin MTB with full Campy Euclid and a Ciöcc frame that's not built.

Masochist
03-19-2010, 09:22
If you’re on the east coast, here’s a link to some pretty good races - nice venues…
http://www.setupevents.com/

Thanks for the link. I am on the east coast, and have had a group of friends, to include a former LT from my previous unit, do the B2B the past few years.

I'm hoping for my first marathon to be the currently in planning Mike Murphy and Todd Siebert Memorial Triathlon. A Marine from my college town has been setting this up the past year and a half. I knew both men (Mike from school, Todd was a fraternity brother), so it would be an honor to start my tri career here.

The Facebook group link is below, as it is still in the planning stages.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=58733718153

Masochist
03-19-2010, 09:36
Here's what I've been working with for the past 5-6 years.

Speedgod
03-19-2010, 09:46
No Gianni Mottas, those were beautiful bikes though. I agree wholeheartedly about them being works of art, the newer stuff just doesn't appeal to me like the old ones do. I kick myself for not buying a DeRosa back then but you know how hindsight is.

I have a '93 Ciöcc (SL), a '96 Cramerotti (Oria), a '96 Bianchi Cyclocross (full lugs and Zero Uno) and a '98 Bellesi (Tigged Genius). The Ciöcc has the most miles on it, it's my favorite of the bunch. :) I also have a Scapin MTB with full Campy Euclid and a Ciöcc frame that's not built.

BH,

Those Campy Delta brakes are so nice!! Also worth a lot of $$$$'s. Your Ciocc is beautiful!

How about some of the ole Eddy Merckx frames? My fave was the 7-Eleven bike back in the late 80's.

DeRosa had some gorgeous bikes at that time as well.

All we sold back than was, the Italian bikes and Titanium from Merlin.

I wish my Dad did not keep selling all our bikes at that time.

Keep it up guys!

Speedgod
03-19-2010, 09:47

Holy old school!! That is very nice Masochist. Great find. :eek:

SG

BlackHills
03-19-2010, 09:58

Nice bike. I always loved those old Syncros stems.

BH,

Those Campy Delta brakes are so nice!! Also worth a lot of $$$$'s. Your Ciocc is beautiful!

How about some of the ole Eddy Merckx frames? My fave was the 7-Eleven bike back in the late 80's.

DeRosa had some gorgeous bikes at that time as well.

All we sold back than was, the Italian bikes and Titanium from Merlin.

I wish my Dad did not keep selling all our bikes at that time.

Keep it up guys!

Thanks. I like the Deltas though a lot of people aren't fond of them. BTW, both sets are Croce d'Aune rather than Record.

I like the EM frames as well, even if they aren't Italian. Did you know they did a re-issue 7-Eleven frameset last year with SL tubing?

Masochist
03-19-2010, 10:16
Holy old school!! That is very nice Masochist. Great find. :eek:

SG

SG/BH,

Thanks for the compliments ... I love hearing "Holy old school!" from anyone who knows bikes. I purchased it almost new a while back (along with tools and some other gear) from a rider who sadly lost a leg and could no longer ride. As long as I never crack the frame, I don't think I'll ever get rid of it as it's an amazing bike. I've put a lot of love into her over the years and she's returned the favor.

Speedgod
03-19-2010, 10:28
Nice bike. I always loved those old Syncros stems.

Thanks. I like the Deltas though a lot of people aren't fond of them. BTW, both sets are Croce d'Aune rather than Record.

I like the EM frames as well, even if they aren't Italian. Did you know they did a re-issue 7-Eleven frameset last year with SL tubing?

Ya, I wasn't sure if the re-issue frame was built in Belgium or over seas.

It is hard to see from the pics that it was the Croce d'Aune groupo. I had forgot about that and thought it was Record.

SG

Masochist
03-19-2010, 10:51
Being as I've never ridden any "adult" cycles on the road (big wheels don't count), here's a question for everyone:

Being as many of us spend a lot of time on two feet in the wilderness, why choose to spend your two-wheel time on the hardball versus on the mountains and trails? Or do you do both?

Triman19
03-19-2010, 11:27
Good morning,
I ride fairly often, 200 a week depending on the elements. I just bought a BMC Pro. Triathlon season is here! Does anyone complete?

Have a wonderful Friday

BlackHills
03-19-2010, 12:13
Ya, I wasn't sure if the re-issue frame was built in Belgium or over seas.

It is hard to see from the pics that it was the Croce d'Aune groupo. I had forgot about that and thought it was Record.

SG

As far as I know they were made in Belgium. Only the Deltas are CdA, the rest on both is Record. The Deltas are pretty easy to tell apart; the return springs are on the outside of the CdA ones and inside on the Record so the latter is cleaner looking.

Being as I've never ridden any "adult" cycles on the road (big wheels don't count), here's a question for everyone:

Being as many of us spend a lot of time on two feet in the wilderness, why choose to spend your two-wheel time on the hardball versus on the mountains and trails? Or do you do both?

I started out riding MTBs and still do occasionally but I prefer riding on the road. I think it's that when I'm in the woods for fun I'd rather take in Mother Nature than watch it fly by.

NoRoadtrippin
03-19-2010, 22:02

You just gotta get out there. I bought my first road bike to "get in shape for mountain biking," but now, oh man, do I love being on the road. I'm not sure I could really describe it honestly. Its euphoric for me for sure. I typically ride with others and its just a blast cruising along at 20 or 30 mph in a pace line working up a good cadence. When I worked at a shop we had a few standard routes we would do each week and everyone knew where the intermediate sprints were. It was my favorite part of each ride when the line would pick up speed and everyone would wait for the moment to jump off the front and hit the street or turn that marked the end of that little mini race.

I know, it sounds a bit corny but there is just something very therapeutic for me about being on a road bike. I'm not sure its any cheaper than the therapist, but it sure is a lot more fun.

Knight
03-20-2010, 06:26
Riding in my first TOSRV this year. 200 miles in 2 days; (www.tosrv.org) I agree, there is something very therapeutic about being out on the bike. Great for the body and mind, and much better on the knees. :cool:

Abu Jack
03-21-2010, 16:31

Here are some of my reasons:
1. I can ride right from my house and get on country roads. I have to drive to find trails to ride.
2. I can ride on the road at work on my lunch hour and pt time.
3. I like getting on the road and going fast.

I highly recommend the Roubaix. I have an '04 or '05 and its a dream to ride.

My brother has one and likes it alot too. I've kinda been focused on specialized just because my LBS carries them and they give military a 10% discount. I don't know much about all the Italian bikes that are being discussed here on the thread.

I'd like to try some racing eventually and maybe a spring tri.

My goal is to get up to 200 a week.

Thank for getting the thread going again.

Abu Jack
05-23-2010, 16:36
I just recently bought my wife a specialized ruby. We did 27 yesterday and 30 this morning. Her first time doing 30. I'm really proud of her.

NoRoadtrippin
05-23-2010, 19:43
Ahhh, thanks for reviving this one. Yay for spring time and being back on the back.

I've already been having my share of adventure....

Last week, coming down the road at about 16 or 17mph I see a couple yap yap dogs running out towards me. So, as is SOP, I start speeding up anticipating the need to keep them away from my heels as I pass them. But no, these dogs are idiots. So the run right across my front wheel as I pass and down I go. Smacked one of them broadside at about 25mph. Thus ended that ride. Got some nice rash and a sore neck to show for it.

T-Rock
05-23-2010, 21:46
Triathlon season is here! Does anyone complete?

My first IM was here > http://www.ironmanusa.com/ - In 03, was in the top 550 - till it came to the run :(

As an average FOG MOP'er, I only do it to complete, leaving it for the young bucks to compete :D

But no, these dogs are idiots. So the run right across my front wheel as I pass and down I go. Smacked one of them broadside at about 25mph. Thus ended that ride. Got some nice rash and a sore neck to show for it.

I can relate - It's almost tempting to carry a Taurus Judge with rock salt :eek:

Abu Jack
06-17-2010, 17:45
I bought my son a road bike. I told him tomorrow me and the wife are going to do 40. Then I would come home and do 10 with him. Here's a pic after his first road ride and first wipe out. He has gotten back on his bike since then. BTW did anyone see the wipe out at the end of stage 4 of the Tour de Suisse?

T-Rock
06-17-2010, 21:37
Nice looking bike you got your son there…,and that rash, it looks like it needs cleaning with some rubbing alcohol :D

BTW did anyone see the wipe out at the end of stage 4 of the Tour de Suisse?

It looked brutal… Cavendish is out of the race > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RNAYR3KPIg

Lance isn’t looking too bad in the mountains for a FOG, he finished 5th on stage 6 and he’s 7th overall on the GC, 55 seconds back - wonder if he’ll be to old to give "the look" come July…..?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHJErrp4eOw

T-Rock
06-19-2010, 20:24
FWIW, tomorrow's time trial will be interesting at the Tour de Suisse - a 17-mile grind that starts with a seven-mile ascent - If Lance has the legs he had in 05 when he smoked Ullrich, he could possibly win... :munchin

(6:10 - 7:00)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz95I3cJQ_s

I'm rooting for the FOG :D

Edited to add - Lance just took 2nd on the GC of the TDS...

LongWire
06-20-2010, 06:19
Two words...Al Dempsy!

Its been about 10 yrs........My eyes still burn!!!!!!! :D

T-Rock
07-11-2010, 15:02
….. ~Lance Armstrong~

Anybody watch the TDF today? Lance crashed twice - it appears he lost his chance for a podium finish :(

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcyjge8onvw&feature=player_embedded

http://www.examiner.com/x-2490-Endurance-Sports-Examiner~y2010m7d11-Crash-Video-My-Tour-is-over-Lance-Armstrong-Tour-de-France-Stage-8

Age and gravity cannot be escaped, a condition of inevitable decline - anybody here have problems with aging gracefully? I do :D

Time to go ride :D

Abu Jack
07-11-2010, 17:36
Yeah I watched it...I guess the crashes and the chase to catch up just took too much out of him. I was pulling for Lance to beat Contador. Now I am pulling for everyone but AC. Maybe Levi...now we'll see if Lance can be as good as a team mate and follower as he was a leader....No riding today. I'm taking a few days off. Saddle sores kicking my butt. I've tried everything but time off. I think alot has to do with the heat and humidity here in Florida.

T-Rock
07-11-2010, 21:04
Now I am pulling for everyone but AC. Maybe Levi...

Same here...
If history accounts for anything, it has shown that Levi has always ridden better in the Pyrenees than the Alps. Having a "super domestique" like Lance could very well put him on the podium - fingers crossed... :munchin

olhamada
07-12-2010, 21:32
This is a great thread - and timely, too! :D

I've ridden mountain bikes for a while, but as I age, I feel the need to transition to straight road.

What would you recommend for a road bike - steel, aluminum, or carbon? Why?

I'm 5'11" and 200#. :lifter

cornelyj
07-12-2010, 22:29
If you can afford it a carbon specialized hugs and rebounds the road quite well. I have ridden trek alu/carbon, look carbon, specialized carbon, fetish cycles alu and bianchi steel/carbon. If I would buy a bike today it would be a specialized. ohh yea and you better not put any damn Contador stickers on your bike. There are many factors in buying and fitting a bike, one of the first is what kind of riding you'll be doing. Good Luck.

Go Andy SLLIECccK!

BlackHills
07-13-2010, 13:56
This is a great thread - and timely, too! :D

I've ridden mountain bikes for a while, but as I age, I feel the need to transition to straight road.

What would you recommend for a road bike - steel, aluminum, or carbon? Why?

I'm 5'11" and 200#. :lifter

First and most important is fit. Once you have an idea of what size you need (top tube length is most important) then you can compare geometry and figure out which bikes might work for you. Do not assume that a size 56 from Brand A will fit like a 56 from Brand B. Different brands have different geometry so you need to test ride as many bikes as you can to get a feel for what works for you. It wouldn't hurt to get professionally fit either.

Any material can be made to ride a certain way. There are rough riding CF bikes and smooth riding Al bikes. Having said that, steel is my first choice. :) It rides better than anything else IMO, it's easy to repair if damaged and if you take care of it a good steel bike will outlast you.

Blender
07-13-2010, 18:51
First and most important is fit. Once you have an idea of what size you need (top tube length is most important) then you can compare geometry and figure out which bikes might work for you. Do not assume that a size 56 from Brand A will fit like a 56 from Brand B. Different brands have different geometry so you need to test ride as many bikes as you can to get a feel for what works for you. It wouldn't hurt to get professionally fit either.

Any material can be made to ride a certain way. There are rough riding CF bikes and smooth riding Al bikes. Having said that, steel is my first choice. :) It rides better than anything else IMO, it's easy to repair if damaged and if you take care of it a good steel bike will outlast you.

X2. I've been riding road since I was a kid, and I grew up working in bike shops and building bikes. If you want a great touring/distance bike, steel is always my favorite. Titanium is awesome too if you can afford it, but I never was able to, even at cost. Steel is a bit heavier, but has a very forgiving ride. It absorbs a lot of the vibration from the road, lasts forever, and is not overly expensive, plus it has style points with the roadies.

On the other hand, if you want to race or do triathlon you should look at an aluminum or carbon ride. They are generally stiffer and therefore transfer energy more efficiently, making them faster than a steel bike.

That's my .02 I hung up the knobbies too after I broke my jaw and left all my teeth in a rock, but road can be just as much fun :)

T-Rock
07-13-2010, 19:02
On the other hand, if you want to race or do triathlon you should look at an aluminum or carbon ride. They are generally stiffer and therefore transfer energy more efficiently, making them faster than a steel bike.

After owning a P3, I can't help but recommend this :D
Road > http://www.cervelo.com/en_us/bikes/2010/S3/
Tri > http://www.cervelo.com/en_us/bikes/2010/P3/

Blender
07-13-2010, 19:30
After owning a P3, I can't help but recommend this :D
Road > http://www.cervelo.com/en_us/bikes/2010/S3/
Tri > http://www.cervelo.com/en_us/bikes/2010/P3/

I haven't been contracting long enough to get one of those yet. Plus, I gotta save up to build my helicopter :)

I got mine last one from this website for about half what it was worth. Aluminum/Carbon frame, with FULL Ultegra, carbon cranks, and overall very nice set up for $850. I highly recommend checking it out if you know what you want and can build it yourself. It's not hard since they're practically built already when you get it.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/

olhamada
07-13-2010, 21:41
Thanks. Great answers. The reason I'm asking......I had my heart set on a carbon fiber frame, but the more I read on the internet......(starting to sound like some of my patients)........it seems as though steel is the most comfortable ride, most durable, and only weighs 0.5 to 1 pound more than all carbon. Carbon detractors say it's relatively fragile, that the technology isn't mature, and that the ride and stability are below that of steel.

I've been riding mountain on an aluminum frame Specialized RockHopper but have backed off a bit of late (probably due to turning 44). I've been very happy with it and the only problem I've had has been with the front deraileur. I've had it 10 years or so and it's held up well.

I'm not looking to aggressively race - at least not centuries - mainly tour and triathlons.

Any input re the Italian bikes? (il massimo, Cassati, Ciocc, Coppi, etc....)

T-Rock, that Cervelo looks sweet, but pricey!!!

Blender, is bikes direct for real? Or is it a rip off?

Blender
07-14-2010, 00:12
It's for real. I bought one from it. Like I said, it was a really good deal, but you have to build it yourself. Even if you pay for the local shop to build it though, it's a good deal as long as you're sure it's the right bike or you.

The advantage of going through a local shop is that they can help you choose the right bike and you can return it easily if it's not right after the first ride. However, you can save a ton of dough if you know what you want and go though that web site. That's what I did, and I made out like a fat rat on the deal.

Make sure you really know what you want first though. You can get a great deal on a bike, but if it doesn't fit your body or your riding style right, it will still be a disappointment. I could pay 200 bucks for a $3,000 triathlon bike, but I'm still gonna hate riding it.

BlackHills
07-14-2010, 13:28
I've been riding mountain on an aluminum frame Specialized RockHopper but have backed off a bit of late (probably due to turning 44). I've been very happy with it and the only problem I've had has been with the front deraileur. I've had it 10 years or so and it's held up well.

As I said, any material can be manipulated to ride a certain way. It is true that as a general rule most Al frames ride stiffer than other materials. As for your MTB, remember that you have bigger tires (more cushioning) and almost certainly front suspension to dampen the ride.

I'm not looking to aggressively race - at least not centuries - mainly tour and triathlons.

Hmmm.....while you could do a triathlon on a touring bike it wouldn't be my first choice. The two disciplines require different geometry and setup.

Any input re the Italian bikes? (il massimo, Cassati, Ciocc, Coppi, etc....)

I absolutely love Italian bikes. You can see my Ciöcc here (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=321072&postcount=42). :)

I don't know what your budget is but I think two of the best buys available are either an off the shelf Lynsky Cooper (http://www.lynskeyperformance.com/a/pages/frames-_-products/road/titanium-road-bikes-road-houseblend-cooper.php) (Ti) or a custom Landshark (http://www.landsharkbicycles.com/) (in steel of course). You may have never heard of Landshark but John has been building bikes forever: the bike that Andy Hampsten won the Giro d'Italia in 1988 was actually a Landshark and I think they're a steal for the price. If I was buying a new bike today they'd be on my very short list.

Another option is to check out GVH Bikes (http://www.gvhbikes.com/). He has some killer deals.

Of course all of those are predicated on you knowing what size you need, hence the recommendation for a good fit. Your LBS should be able to help you in that regard.

T-Rock
07-15-2010, 01:30
Hmmm.....while you could do a triathlon on a touring bike it wouldn't be my first choice. The two disciplines require different geometry and setup.

Great point...if you do Tri on a road bike, my suggestion would be to purchase one of these: http://www.tri-zone.com/Details.html?cat=71&item=PFFWD and some of these: http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=349
78 degrees is where it's at :D

Abu Jack
07-15-2010, 10:35
Now for a change of pace,

Last nights dream...

- Alberto Contador is golfing in a yellow track suit...in the snow
- He falls through ice I didn't know was there
- I know it is too dangerous to go out on the ice to help him.
- I watch, hoping someone helps him, no one does
- He makes it to the shore by swimming and breaking ice as he goes
- He gets out soaking wet and freezing
- A helicopter (yellow)shows up
- AC tries to get in the wrong door mechanincal compartment or something
- Crewmember (also dressed in Yellow) re directs him to the proper door and gets him in the helicopter
- Still soaking wet
- shivering from the cold he sits on the floor of the AC (there are no seats).
- I watch him shivering on the floor for awhile
- Finally I go over to him
- Tell him to take off his soaking wet jacket
- I take off one arm of my coat and wrap him up in it
- I sit with him with both of us inside my coat ( body heat is the first aid for hypothermia).
-I appologize for not thinking of using my coat to warm him up sooner.
- I wake up

Weird...

1stindoor
07-15-2010, 10:41
Giant OCR for the road...
Cannondale for offroad.

Abu Jack
08-21-2010, 15:50
Ordered my new bike today:

http://www.specialized.com/ja/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=11Roubaix&menuItemId=14119

In white and black.

alright4u
08-21-2010, 22:36
My boss and one of our design engineers...there should be a law against wearing spandex for some folks...in good (cardio) shape for their weight, but we're talking 30-50 pounds overweight for spandex...:rolleyes:

You are killing me with that vivid description.

Elder
08-22-2010, 00:29
I'm old school. I ride steel - a Schwin Paramount. It just keeps on going.

IMHO - the most valuable safety equipment you can use is a good pair of gloves. If you ride long enough, you will fall. Occasionally you may hit your head, but you always skid on your hands.

And, clipless pedals are the only way to go. Just make sure you "un-clip" before you stop.

Abu Jack
10-31-2010, 16:57
My wife and I finished our first century today. We had a good time at a very well run event.

http://www.spacecoastfreewheelers.com/events.htm

Abu Jack
12-31-2010, 09:35
Any New Year's Eve Rides? My wife and I are getting ready to head out for 25 miles or so. 71 degrees here in Tampa.

Masochist
12-31-2010, 15:30
Any New Year's Eve Rides? My wife and I are getting ready to head out for 25 miles or so. 71 degrees here in Tampa.

Was supposed to be in the Keys this week for diving, shooting and biking, but it never came to fruition and I'm stuck up north for New Years. Instead I did a hilly 4 mile run this afternoon while the temps were a warm 35. :cool:

Masochist
12-31-2010, 15:33
My wife and I finished our first century today. We had a good time at a very well run event.

http://www.spacecoastfreewheelers.com/events.htm

Late congrats on the century. I did one years ago via a rails-to-trails near Pittsburgh, and it's still one of my most memorable events to date. Hope it was equally as good for you and your wife.

Abu Jack
01-05-2011, 19:04
Thanks. The century was a big accomplishment for us. Which rails to trails near Pittsburgh. Was it the Youghiogheny River Trail? I grew up near it and ride it every chance when I go home. My parents house sits on an old RR track and the word is that it is going to be converted to a trail and connected to the main trail. I think it'd be awesome to have a trail like that out the back door.

Take Care

Masochist
01-09-2011, 14:34
Great Allegheny Passage trail (http://www.atatrail.org).

Location and Length
When completed, the 150-mile Great Allegheny Passage will connect with the 184.5-mile C&O Canal Towpath at Cumberland, Maryland to create a 334.5-mile traffic and motorized vehicle-free route between Pittsburgh and Washington, DC. The Montour Branch will, when completed, connect McKeesport to the Pittsburgh International Airport and Coraopolis.

I've been waiting for almost five years for this to happen. It looks to be completed after I leave the PA/VA/DC area. :(

PR31C
01-10-2011, 10:25
Great Allegheny Passage trail

I run or bike the trail a couple times a week. I live near the section of the Montour trail in Clairton, which I use for running. In warmer weather I bike the YRT/GAP a couple of times a week. Last summer I covered all of the PA portion of the trail. The Montour trail from Bethal Park out to the Airport also makes a nice day trip. I did go for a New Year ride at Ohiopyle. The temp kept the trail mushy so only did a short 8 mile ride, but still a scenic trip. I am planning on a PGH to DC trip this summer, if anyone is interested p.m. me. I have no dates set yet.

17564 17565

Montour (http://www.gaptrail.org/tmi/montour_map5.cfm)

YRT/GAP (http://www.gaptrail.org/tmi/maps.cfm)

wet dog
01-10-2011, 10:43
Thanks. The century was a big accomplishment for us. Which rails to trails near Pittsburgh. Was it the Youghiogheny River Trail? I grew up near it and ride it every chance when I go home. My parents house sits on an old RR track and the word is that it is going to be converted to a trail and connected to the main trail. I think it'd be awesome to have a trail like that out the back door.

Take Care

Late congrats aslo.

Trail riding would be wonderful under the shade of those large Pittsburgh Oaks, very nice.

What was your time on the 100 miler?

Masochist
01-15-2011, 20:57
I run or bike the trail a couple times a week. I live near the section of the Montour trail in Clairton, which I use for running. In warmer weather I bike the YRT/GAP a couple of times a week. Last summer I covered all of the PA portion of the trail. The Montour trail from Bethal Park out to the Airport also makes a nice day trip. I did go for a New Year ride at Ohiopyle. The temp kept the trail mushy so only did a short 8 mile ride, but still a scenic trip. I am planning on a PGH to DC trip this summer, if anyone is interested p.m. me. I have no dates set yet.

17564 17565

Montour (http://www.gaptrail.org/tmi/montour_map5.cfm)

YRT/GAP (http://www.gaptrail.org/tmi/maps.cfm)

The Ohiopyple area is where I did my Century. Beautiful area, with a good mix of open air and canopy. Suprisingly the trail wasn't all that mushy, despite pouring rain for the first 65 miles, when I last ran it in 2007.

twistedsquid
01-16-2011, 07:58
Specialized SL2 Carbon (climber)
Specialized E5 Aerotec (war horse)
GT Lotto Easton Ultalight Team (retro aluminum)
Specialized Langster (track)
Schwinn Paramount (urban fixed gear)
Giant TCX (cyclocross)
Giant ACX (mountain hardtail)
Felt Virtue One (mountain dually)
Bianchi Veloce (first race bike, steel)
Klein Quantum Pro ( first race bike, aluminum)

im always up for a ride...Hudson Valley NY...

Abu Jack
05-08-2011, 09:03
Sorry I hadn't gotten back to this.

What was your time on the 100 miler?

6:15 riding time. I can't remember what the total was. 7:30 ish. There were 5 rest stops and we stopped at all of them.

twistedsquid Awesome stable

I did my first race last weekend: A Cat 5 Crit.

Didn't turn out all that well. Flatted, crashed, finished.

Calvengeance
05-08-2011, 13:15
I just started riding a bit at the beginning of this year.

I have a very basic Dawes Lightning, which is a step or two above the Schwinns at WalMart, but it's tough for a college kid to scrape together money to buy anything much nicer.

I haven't had all the time in the world to ride the past few months, but I'm hoping summer will change that.

twistedsquid
05-08-2011, 16:34
Sorry I hadn't gotten back to this.

6:15 riding time. I can't remember what the total was. 7:30 ish. There were 5 rest stops and we stopped at all of them.

twistedsquid Awesome stable

I did my first race last weekend: A Cat 5 Crit.

Didn't turn out all that well. Flatted, crashed, finished.

thanks for your kind remarks...fyi the cat 5 crit is the most dangerous racing one can do...set a goal for a 5 hour century...keep riding bro!

s
05-08-2011, 16:37
I do ride for 9 months a year. Around 22 miles every time I hop on the bicycle. Goooood times!!

twistedsquid
05-08-2011, 16:44
I do ride for 9 months a year. Around 22 miles every time I hop on the bicycle. Goooood times!!

well...youre italian...youre born with the love and traditon of the bicycle...

Pete
05-08-2011, 16:52
well...your italian...youre born with the love and traditon of the bicycle...

I thought that was the Spanish, no wait, was it the French, no-no it was the Danes.

So an American Team will win the Tour de France this year but the rider will be from _____________?

twistedsquid
05-08-2011, 16:56
I thought that was the Spanish, no wait, was it the French, no-no it was the Danes.

So an American Team will win the Tour de France this year but the rider will be from _____________?

you just had to throw that grenade didnt you?

Praxis
06-05-2011, 07:20
I used to race road bikes, doing regional and national calendar races. When I reached the upgrade points to Cat 1 I quit to finish school and move on with different life goals. Worked in shops as a mechanic for almost 10 years. I don't race anymore except for fun a couple times a year, but still love riding my road and mountain bikes. In fact, I think I will go for a ride right now!
:D

twistedsquid
06-05-2011, 20:49
contadar wins the tour...by 5 minutes

s
06-06-2011, 10:02
well...youre italian...youre born with the love and traditon of the bicycle...

I guess I'm an atypical Italian though. I do not dig those spandex outfits most cyclists use.
I do wear padded/protective cycling clothes, but definitely with loose fit. :D:D:D

Abu Jack
11-23-2011, 18:12
I'm going to try my first cyclocross race this weekend. Should be interesting.

twistedsquid
11-26-2011, 20:52
45 minutes of turning your guts inside out...i think youll love it

Abu Jack
11-27-2011, 14:39
I finished my first Cross Race today. I wasn't competitive but I think that'll come as I get more comfortable on the bike. Man what a work out.

Update: finished 15th out of 24. I did alot better than I thought I did.

Susa
11-27-2011, 15:27
Congrats!!

twistedsquid
11-28-2011, 08:11
right on! well done

Pete
11-28-2011, 08:56
Jan 8th will have a race in Fayetteville

http://nccyclocross.com/

I do believe it will be around/at Melvin Honeycutt School on Fisher Rd.

Bitz
11-28-2011, 09:50
I picked up cycling back in the 90's. I spent most of the 90's learning to ride and getting comfortable with group riding. I competed a bit from 2000-2006 doing local crits, road races, and time trials, then moved on to track racing. Now I just ride for fun. My main ride is a 04 Langster Fixie and a Surely Karate Monkey for single speed MTB fun. I ride as often as I can. My son and I have a standing date to do our favorite single track every Saturday weather permitting.

~Bitz

PR31C
11-29-2011, 09:40
Sunday, November 27, 2011
2011 Pittsburgh Dirty Dozen Race (http://prattphoto.blogspot.com/2011/11/2011-pittsburgh-dirty-dozen-race.html)
Saturday was the perfect day for Pittsburgh's most iconic road race, the Dirty Dozen. 300 riders spent the day climbing 13 of Pittsburgh's steepest hills, including Canton Avenue which, at 37 degrees, is known as the world's steepest road. The race covers about 54 miles, mostly neutral riding between the hills, but in Pittsburgh this guarantees you're going to be climbing more than just the 13 timed hills.

Video of riders climbing the "steepest in the world" available here (http://bike-pgh.org/blog/2011/11/28/video-great-footage-of-racers-going-up-pittsburghs-canton-ave-the-steepest-street-in-the-world/)

One of the hills, not the steepest :eek:

Abu Jack
11-29-2011, 16:35
I grew up 60 miles South East of the burgh and I never heard of that race. I'm going to have to find that hill next time I'm home. Wow that hill is cobblestones too.

twistedsquid
11-29-2011, 17:20
i know the dirty dozen...its a hill junkie race along with "hillier than thou" which ive done many times...most riders dont realize how dense the riding is in the northeast...generally 100 feet per mile and sometimes better...i raced all over the northeast and moved to colorado this summer where the climbing is longer and less severe...i enjoy the tougher repetitive and steeper climbs of the northeast on marginal roads in bad weather...i'd rather be a strong man than a stork anyday...havent been dropped on a climb here yet...raising my glass to my cycling roots...props to the northeast scene

twistedsquid
11-29-2011, 17:30
added a few more for the colorado scene...a long travel dually and revived my vintage paramount

Abu Jack
12-04-2011, 18:29
We did a 50 miler yesteday. It was the last requirement for the cycling merit badge. We did it on the Van Fleet Trail. The VFT is a paved MUP that goes through rural central Florida. We had a great time. My son is on the left in yellow. He played O line this year.

twistedsquid
12-05-2011, 15:08
Right on!

Abu Jack
12-18-2011, 17:42
Did two cross races this weekend. Figured I'd throw up some pics to keep this thread going. Saturday's course was a killer, the most hills I've ridden in Florida. The pics are from Saturday's race. Sunday's course was flatter and more technical, I really had a good time today. No pics though. My daughter and wife couldn't make today's race. They took the pictures.

twistedsquid
12-18-2011, 19:36
great job! looks like youve dropped some weight...rode today with the pros from tokyo joes here in northern colorado...ride on bro!

Abu Jack
12-19-2011, 18:40
I checked out the TJs website. It looked pretty serious. They look like a hard core mountain bike team. How far are you from Boulder? My brother retired there. He does some road riding but as a Dad of a newborn and a 2 year old he doesn't get out as much as he'd like. I just found out my work travel schedule and I'm going to miss the last 3 cross races of the year so I'm bummed. I've dropped 10 pounds since Thanksgiving. I'm really watching it through the holidays. I'd like to drop another 10 and then put in a serious training block focused on a road race in March or April. I think I'll really focus on cross next season. I'm heading up to Pa for the holidays and hope to get in a few long rides on my cross bike.

Take Care and Merry Christmas

Abu Jack
12-24-2011, 07:11
Merry Christmas Roadies, Ride Safe.

twistedsquid
12-24-2011, 08:33
im 25 miles north of boulder...Team Rio Grande is the big powerhouse here along with Tokyo Joes...im out twice a week with their road team, but looks like this week is out due to the snow and cold...impressive that youve dropped weight over the holidays and are focused on the next season...i hope you enjoy your visit and get a few good rides in...thanks for the holiday wishes...safe travels...ride on

twistedsquid
01-02-2012, 09:31
registration opened today for this event here in colorado...i will be doing the sunday ride from avon to evergreen...PM if you'd like to join me...act fast as allocations are filled quickly...120 miles and 11000 feet of climbing...our Berthoud and Breckenridge homes are open to QP's and i have many spare racing bikes...

twistedsquid
02-17-2012, 17:26
just got this back from waterford...restored 1988 slx tubed schwinn paramount...looking forward to a vintage campy build...another pony in the stable

Scamilton
05-15-2012, 22:45
Buying my first good bike in about two weeks! Super excited to get into the mountain biking arena and let my knees take a little less a beating throughout my training before I get to the Q.

More than likely will be getting a Giant Revel 0 from my local bike shop. I hear there are a lot of great trails to be had around Ft Bragg.

Abu Jack
06-02-2012, 08:44
Scamilton,

I wish I wouldv'e started cycling earlier. My knees might be in better shape. I wasn't into riding when I was at Bragg. You should be able to find something though. Good luck in the Q.

I've been focusing on base miles (been getting in about 150 a week) and weight loss in preparation for cyclocross season this fall. I'm down to 169 from 197 last year. I never knew how many calories I put in my body until I actually started tracking them. 4Lbs to go to get to my goal of 165. Then we'll see from there.

Safe Riding

Abu Jack
08-17-2012, 02:47
In the interest of keeping this thead going. Anyone doing any interesting summer rides? The wife and I are doing 70 tomorrow. We have been bumping our long saturday ride distance up 5 miles a week in preparation for a century 9 Sept. We are also starting to do some planning on doing a Pittsburgh to DC tour next year. Anyone have any touring stories?

DIYPatriot
08-17-2012, 08:46
I've been focusing on base miles (been getting in about 150 a week) and weight loss in preparation for cyclocross season this fall. I'm down to 169 from 197 last year. I never knew how many calories I put in my body until I actually started tracking them. 4Lbs to go to get to my goal of 165. Then we'll see from there.

Safe Riding

Congrats on dropping your weight to the 160's! When I started riding, I was in the 170 range - pretty much solid muscle, but felt like a bear on the climbs and found myself constantly getting out of the seat when others just sat back on the edge and turned those pedals with effortless precision. This was depressing, especially up Mt. Mitchell. So, I began slimming and trimming and stopped in the 140's and noticed a major difference in my cadence, especially under stress.

Anyone have any touring stories?

Back in '00, I had the privilege of helping several fraternities and sororities raise money for MS. Lots of college kids pledged a dollar per completed mile, having no idea that I was a cat 2 cyclist at the time or that a bike ride with the numbers "150" in them meant 150 miles. I passed out brochures for the ride and it clearly stated that we'd be riding 150 miles from Franklin, TN to the Jack Daniels Distillery (and back).

Regardless, you should've seen the shocked faces of MANY college kids that had to come up with $150, each, to support a worthy cause. We ended up throwing a few parties and charging a cover at the door to offset the expense and we hooked up with some sororities for a co-ed car wash (MAN...that brought in some serious cash!!!). By the time it was all said and done, we raised over $6k, had a few great parties and one very wet car wash...plus a great bike ride to boot.

If you ever get a chance to ride the Jack Daniels 150 (http://www.facebook.com/JackandBack), you should strongly consider it. It's a gorgeous ride along nicely paved rolling roads through some of the most gorgeous farms, hills, etc that southeastern TN has to offer. And if you hit it just right, you might be able to swindle some co-ed's into hosting a carwash to pay your entry fee/donation dues ;)

DIYPatriot
08-17-2012, 08:52
In the interest of keeping this thead going. Anyone doing any interesting summer rides? The wife and I are doing 70 tomorrow. We have been bumping our long saturday ride distance up 5 miles a week in preparation for a century 9 Sept. We are also starting to do some planning on doing a Pittsburgh to DC tour next year. Anyone have any touring stories?

Another great place to consider riding is the Northern section of the Natchez Trace in autumn and the southern portions in the spring when everything is blooming. I used the Natchez as my train-up for most of my flat races/western races in places like Texas, Oklahoma, etc. Having spent my first 25 years in the mountains, I was a pure climber and sprinting just wasn't in my deck of cards, so I had to venture out and make my weaknesses my strengths.

Abu Jack
07-21-2013, 23:36
This is a short attempt to resurrect this thread.

Having the weekend off while TDY to Colorado Springs, I headed to Boulder to link up with my brother John and Twisted Squid (who I met through PS.com) for a couple rides. We did Super J (31 miles with about 3400 feet of climbing) on Saturday and Carter Lake (38 miles with 1600 feet of climbing) on Sunday. For a relative newb to cycling with most of my cycling in Florida, it was an awesome experience. We had a blast talking and riding. Twisted Squid is a very knowledgeable, experienced and fit cyclist as well as a great guy who is willing to share his knowledge in the best possible way. I learned a lot from him in a short time as well as experiencing some Boulder cycling.

Twisted Squid, thanks again for a great couple rides.

So from left to right that's my bro John, Twisted Squid and Me.

twistedsquid
07-22-2013, 06:30
This is a short attempt to resurrect this thread.

Having the weekend off while TDY to Colorado Springs, I headed to Boulder to link up with my brother John and Twisted Squid (who I met through PS.com) for a couple rides. We did Super J (31 miles with about 3400 feet of climbing) on Saturday and Carter Lake (38 miles with 1600 feet of climbing) on Sunday. For a relative newb to cycling with most of my cycling in Florida, it was an awesome experience. We had a blast talking and riding. Twisted Squid is a very knowledgeable, experienced and fit cyclist as well as a great guy who is willing to share his knowledge in the best possible way. I learned a lot from him in a short time as well as experiencing some Boulder cycling.

Twisted Squid, thanks again for a great couple rides.

So from left to right that's my bro John, Twisted Squid and Me.

Michael. It was GREAT to meet you and John and put a few miles together. I appreciate the time you took to include me in your ride schedule. I'll always hold the Super J climb with high regard. Your enthusiasm for the sport and natural ability are great to be around. I believe you're going to have an awesome cyclocross season! I hope to see John from time to time as we both train on the Boulder flats. And I will definitely look you up when Im down Tamap way to see my Dad. Thanks again for a great weekend! Mark

Abu Jack
11-29-2014, 08:11
Figured, I'd revive this thread. I've had a good cyclocross season so far. A Couple videos

I show up about 1:20 in. I got my first ever cycling win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slT1C7RCv2g&list=PL5yB2OGas3vdk888iH0LJ8wNbvPTxapR2

A bit longer video. I show up at 6:30 in the single speed race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdiEUxe-_V4

DIYPatriot
11-29-2014, 11:58
Figured, I'd revive this thread. I've had a good cyclocross season so far. A Couple videos

I show up about 1:20 in. I got my first ever cycling win.

Congrats on the win! Having raced, I understand how tough those W's are to come by and can appreciate your level of dedication. I never won a cat 1 race, but did win some 2's and 3's (all road) and placed in some crits, but never ventured into cyclocross. You definitely have my respect. Great work and congrats! :lifter